• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Holding a fecal sample ~ Results added

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding a fecal sample ~ Results added

How long can I hold a fecal sample before it starts going 'bad'? I am keeping it in the fridge in ziplock bags.

I've been trying for weeks and weeks to get a fresh sample on this horse, and she finally cooperated with me tonight! But of course it's the weekend, and the absolute earliest I can take it to the vet's is Monday. Tuesday would be more convenient, but I can make the trip on Monday if needed.

Never had this problem before. I usually just grab the sample and drive straight to the vet.
    Last edited by Dawn&Reno; Sep. 27, 2010, 07:08 PM.

You'll be fine over the weekend
    http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=15246
    (not sure WHAT the heck is up with the differences between us and Denmark though! )

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=5193
    Fresh samples work best, but accurate results can be obtained up to seven days after collection if the sample is kept refrigerated during the interim.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
      You'll be fine over the weekend
      http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=15246
      (not sure WHAT the heck is up with the differences between us and Denmark though! )

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=5193[U]
      Awesome! So you don't think waiting till Tuesday would have a negative impact as opposed to Monday?

I'd really like to take it to my alternate vet that's closer to where I live now. But I just realized tonight that I have no clue where their office is? Guess I'll call them Monday and check prices and get directions. If they're a go, I'll just take it Monday. If I take it to my 'normal' vet, I'll probably wait till Tuesday. It's a bit of a drive and gas isn't exactly cheap right now.

I'm very anxiously awaiting the results from this fecal. It's been awhile since I've actually expected one to have any significant amount of eggs in it. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Comment

It's best to get it to the clinic the same day. There is (unless they do them in house) additional shipping time to send them to the lab. I wouldn't bother with a sample two or three days old.

Comment

• Original Poster

They do them in house at the vet I regularly use. If they don't at the other vet, I won't use them. (Too much hassle and time for 'stuff' to go wrong.) I've literally be trying for over a month to catch a fresh sample with her! If I can get another before Monday, then I'll obviously use it. But I'm not holding my breathe.

Comment

My vet clinic wants them same day. They won't take them after 24 hours old.

I've found the best way to get a sample of everybody in the farm is to have a "trailer day." Hook up the horse trailer, park it in front of the barn, and load them one by one. Every single horse has to crap as soon as they see the trailer. Have the bags labeled and set up, pick up the balls, stuff in the bag, get the next horse. LOL

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
              My vet clinic wants them same day. They won't take them after 24 hours old.

I've found the best way to get a sample of everybody in the farm is to have a "trailer day." Hook up the horse trailer, park it in front of the barn, and load them one by one. Every single horse has to crap as soon as they see the trailer. Have the bags labeled and set up, pick up the balls, stuff in the bag, get the next horse. LOL
              You won't believe everything I've tried! I've tried working her, leaving her in the crossties while I'm out of sight, getting out the water hose (that's usually a guarantee right there!), taking her temp, picking up her feet, trimming her feet, grooming, light massage, promising her treats if she'll just poop! anything and everything I've tried. Well, except for the trailer, because I don't have one at the barn.

I'll try again tomorrow and Sunday, and probably even go out for a bit Monday before I run the sample up to see if I can get a fresher one.

About 30 minutes after I collected it, I had it in an airtight bag and in the fridge.

Comment

Awwwww, this thread is no fun. I thought you were standing there actually holding a handful of horse poop. (Although that would mean you were typing one handed, which actually is sort of stupid once I think about it...)

But I still like my visual more than your real issue.
                Last edited by Lord Helpus; Sep. 25, 2010, 09:25 AM.
                "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post
                  Awwwww, this thread is no fun. I thought you were standing there actually holding a handful of horse poop. (Although that would mean you were tying one handed, which actually is sort of stupid once I think about it...)

But I still like my visual more than your real issue.
                  Haha! I actually did have to transfer it after I got to my house. This would be the day I didn't have any baggies with me. I had to put on a rubber glove, pick up a handful, and invert it. Then transfer that to the baggy. Much messier.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, good news. I got another one today! So scrapped the yesterday's and kept this one. If only I could get so lucky as to get one again tomorrow?

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I got my result at 50 epg. So happy with that! I was expecting much worse news considering others in the area.

She was dewormed 21 weeks ago with Quest Plus (May 3rd).

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn&Reno View Post
                        Well, I got my result at 50 epg. So happy with that! I was expecting much worse news considering others in the area.

She was dewormed 21 weeks ago with Quest Plus (May 3rd).
                        That's an interesting result...I've been using Horseman's Lab and anything under 200, they categorize as "negative". With such a low count, is your vet/lab recommending de-worming or no?? Just curious....

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dune View Post
                          That's an interesting result...I've been using Horseman's Lab and anything under 200, they categorize as "negative". With such a low count, is your vet/lab recommending de-worming or no?? Just curious....
                          I didn't really go in depth with her on it as I knew what I intended to do without their advice. Though thinking back on it, it would have been interesting to get their 'official' opinion on what to do with a variety of situations. Maybe I'll call back in a few days and quiz them on their standard protocol.

Her actual response was "It was 50 eggs per gram, which isn't bad at all. That means there was only 2 eggs in the sample used. So whatever you've been doing, you must be doing something right." So she didn't actually word for word tell me not to deworm, but I'm sure (based on that response) that if I had asked, that would have been the answer

I would much rather them tell me the 'actual' results vs. a simple negative, medium, high, etc... (Which they've actually improved on that in the past several years. Particularly before I knew to actually ask. They were running fec's but not giving epg results. Though if I'd asked, they would have. I just didn't know to ask.)

There have been several people in this area (I'm on the TN/VA border) and over into NC that have had very high fec results this time around when they normally have had very low results. So I was afraid that the same thing would prove true with me. Our weather has been quite wet off and on through the summer. So even though it's been consistently in the mid to upper 90's, I was concerned. Thankfully though, this was right on target with what is 'normal' for this horse. She's also been at the current facility for just over a year now. So I was curious as to whether that would affect her or not. (She's actually in a much less high risk situation for reinfection at this barn. Previous barn was a nightmare as far as parasite management went. She still kept low levels there. But I was a bit more aggressive on deworming her (which likely was not needed with her).

I typically don't do her 'late fall' deworming until late November or even early December. It takes that long for us to be consistently cold and frosting. I'm planning to have another fec done between now and then though just to keep an eye on what's going on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, and just to be clear, I will not be deworming her at this time. (Just realize I never specified!)

If her next fecal comes back below 200 epg, then in late November or early December, she'll be dosed with Quest Plus. Then in early spring (typically March/April here), she'll be dosed with Quest Plus again.

If it works out timewise (at least 16ish weeks between the Quest Plus doses), I'll do another fec then to see what's up just for records and reference use.

On the other hand, if her next fecal comes back with a 'dewormable' result, then I'd really like to try a dose of pyrantel pamoate and do an reduction test to determine how effective it is here. If it's not effective or only moderately so, it'll be almost time to do the Quest Plus by then anway. Thought it'd be a good time to experiment if the situation arrises.

Comment

Yep, a count of 50 is a good reason NOT to deworm.

If this was a suddenly, surprising low count (not the case here), then it would be well worth checking again in 2-4 weeks to see if this was a false low.

Just curious - why use the QP this Nov/Dec, and then again Mar/Apr? Your last product was QP. Why not use Equimax as your last dose this year? Just curious

Comment

JB - do you have a regular worming schedule in mind? Similar to EqTrainers?
                                FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Comment

• Original Poster

Yep, a count of 50 is a good reason NOT to deworm.

If this was a suddenly, surprising low count (not the case here), then it would be well worth checking again in 2-4 weeks to see if this was a false low.

Just curious - why use the QP this Nov/Dec, and then again Mar/Apr? Your last product was QP. Why not use Equimax as your last dose this year? Just curious
                                  I prefer to use it for encysted strongyles. I'd probably be fine with once a year, but twice a year is more 'comfy' for me.

And for the 'real' reason, I loaded up on QP while it was still available, and if I don't use it for the fall and spring doses, it'll be expired before the next fall dose I actually had two more tubes, but sold them cause I knew I wouldn't be using them soon enough.

Still trying to figure out my plan of action after that last dose (this spring) is gone. I've got some ideas, but nothing I'm truely loving. I'll probably end up doing Equimax in the fall. Then Quest followed by double pyrantel pamoate about a month later in the spring. I'm still on the fence about it, but I've got a year to figure out exactly what I'll do. On the other hand, maybe they'll have Quest Plus (or a comparable product) back out by then.

Comment

Gotcha. But, instead of "Then Quest followed by double pyrantel pamoate about a month later in the spring." I'd go the other way around - dd pp for the tapes, then Quest 4 weeks later

Equimax after the freeze is perfectly valid if you've done a Power Pack or used Quest in the Spring sometime.

naters - did that also answer your question?

Comment

• Original Poster

Any particular reason on the tapes before the Quest? (I've considered several different scenarios, all with pro's and con's.)

I'm also wondering if I start using Equimax in the fall if I'll be having 'positive' fecals coming back before spring. It's been a non-issue so far because of the timing of the Quest doseages. So I really don't know how well she manages her levels on her own during the winter.

Last winter, really didn't concern me much because we spent so much time with full snow cover. (The amount and frequency of snow cover we had was quite shocking. I hope to not experience another winter like that in this area. Much too much for my tastes.) Without the snow cover of last year though, it's not at all uncommon to have 'nibble grazing' available pretty much year round. Hay is still required, I'm not talking about pasture grazing. But they do definately forage around and spend quite a bit of time away from the hay. How valid do you think that concern is (of being more likely to pick up parasites through the winter)? I guess if I did an early early spring deworming for the tapes, it might also take care of any strongyle problem she'd picked up over the winter?

Would you prefer (personally) the fall or spring for Quest use? Any reasoning on one or the other?

Gotcha. But, instead of "Then Quest followed by double pyrantel pamoate about a month later in the spring." I'd go the other way around - dd pp for the tapes, then Quest 4 weeks later

Equimax after the freeze is perfectly valid if you've done a Power Pack or used Quest in the Spring sometime.

naters - did that also answer your question?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn&Reno View Post
                                        Any particular reason on the tapes before the Quest? (I've considered several different scenarios, all with pro's and con's.)
                                        It's actually not about tapes before Quest It's about chemical longevity and the worms you've killed, or not, and what's left.

Using Quest first will kill all the adult strongyles. 4 weeks later, you may have some juvies, but they won't be killed by the pyrantel pamoate, even in a double dose. You're just exposing them to the chemical, and prolonging the issue of the resistance.

But by doing the pyrantel first, you kill whatever few strongyles (and most of the tapes) it will get, and then 4 weeks later the Quest will kill the rest of the strongyles. Yes, there is still the issue of having potentially some juvies present who won't be killed, but the number is smaller.

I'm also wondering if I start using Equimax in the fall if I'll be having 'positive' fecals coming back before spring. It's been a non-issue so far because of the timing of the Quest doseages. So I really don't know how well she manages her levels on her own during the winter.
                                        Don't know the answer to that. It's only a 4 week reduction in effectiveness, so it's not as if you're leaving her open for months on end with no protection

Last winter, really didn't concern me much because we spent so much time with full snow cover. (The amount and frequency of snow cover we had was quite shocking. I hope to not experience another winter like that in this area. Much too much for my tastes.) Without the snow cover of last year though, it's not at all uncommon to have 'nibble grazing' available pretty much year round. Hay is still required, I'm not talking about pasture grazing. But they do definately forage around and spend quite a bit of time away from the hay. How valid do you think that concern is (of being more likely to pick up parasites through the winter)? I guess if I did an early early spring deworming for the tapes, it might also take care of any strongyle problem she'd picked up over the winter?
                                        It's certainly part of the equation. However, from what I'm reading, the cold temperatures make for slow to no larval development, so it's really the warming up in the Spring which make for the early infestation. I need to find that article again - I posted it on one of the recent deworming threads. The recommendations (in the ideal world LOL) were to keep horses off early Spring pasture for X time when infestation rates would be high. I need to bone up on those details

Would you prefer (personally) the fall or spring for Quest use? Any reasoning on one or the other?
                                        I believe, again from what I've read (and part of this is in that article) that Spring is the prime time for encysted strongyle awakening, making it a better choice for killing them. Fall is a not-distant second.

Comment

Working...
                                        X