• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dover Northwind Turnouts.....Opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dover Northwind Turnouts.....Opinions?

I need to start looking into getting some new blankets for my new horse, and the Dover Northwinds have always caught my eye.

Does anybody here have them, and want to share their opinions? Good, bad? Worth the little bit extra over the regular Rider International Supreme?

I'm debating between the Northwinds, the Rider International Supreme, and the Smartpak Deluxe Turnout...any opinions on any of those is appreciated as well!

I like Weatherbeeta, but hate Rambo/Rhino. But the Dover & Smartpak blankets are within my budget.

TIA!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

We have multiple NorthWinds and LOVE them!!!!! They hold up wonderfully. They also wash well.

Comment

With six horses, I've tried plenty of blankets.

I love my Northwind! I have one on it's 4th year and it looks pretty much new, plus two others that are maybe 2 and 3 years old, both look great.. There's also a 2 year warranty on them, which is always a plus. I have some of the Riders Supreme blankets, they're good too, but I think the Northwinds are worth the extra $$.
      "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

I had one that I used on a big gelding I was leasing- I think I used it three winters, and it held up nicely.

Although I did have to re-waterproof it every year, that's hardly the end of the world. Mugsy was not easy on clothes, but he never managed to kill the Northwind.

Comment

I got one for my then 3 y.o. who is now 11. I think it was called something else back then, but the photo looks the same. He protested by removing the binding from a portion of the front, but I sewed it back on with my SpeedyStitcher and sprayed some sort of no-chew stuff on it and he got the message. That year. I think I had to repeat the exercise one or two times after that. Otherwise, it's held up great. I use it as an in-stall blanket rather than a turnout so no re-waterproofing issues and likely less wear. I have used it less and less over the years for the simple reason that it's kind of too-much blanket for this particular horse in our climate. So, again, it isn't as if it's been used for long winters for 8 years. But I would definitely buy another one.

I have one of the Riders turnout sheets (has mesh and some sort of slippery lining, but no fill) and he managed to tear the lining out of that with less use than the Northwind.
          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I got one for a TB I had and it fit him wonderfully. They hold up really well too. I do hate leg straps though!

I then got one for my ISH, and I couldn't even get the 84" to fit him- for the record he is probably 17.3ish, and probably pushing 1300. He is not drafty, just big and he wore it for about 5 minutes till I just took the darn thing off, cause it looked like a crooked miniskirt, and half his butt was hanging out.

I eventually got him a midweight Smartpak turnout, 1200 denier and am super happy with the way it fits him. Has held up for one winter with absolutely no problems with it. It does also have leg straps. Guess I have gotten spoiled beween the Rambos-Rhinos-Amigos that don't have them.

Comment

The first two I bought several years ago are awesome. Well made and still going strong.

the one I bought last year is not anywhere near the same quality. I won't buy another one. Same experience with the Riders' Supreme. I had one for Trav that lasted years and still looked great, but had to send back the one I bought last year. The lining was all twisted up and it tore on the first wearing.

So sad... those started out as great blankets, but obviously manufacturing standards on them have changed.
              Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
              Witherun Farm
              http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I think I may go ahead and order the Turnout sheet, and see how that holds up before ordering the blankets.

He'll be out with only 1 other horse once he comes home, but he's currently out with a bunch of ponies and another Thoroughbred...so it will be the ultimate test!

If anybody else has one they ordered last year, I'd love to hear other opinions as well. Did they not compare to the older Northwinds for you, either? That's a shame about changes to manufacturing....sounds like the same thing happened to Schneider's from the threads I've read here (I loved my old Schneider's blankets I had for my old horse, they look brand new after 3 seasons...but I don't think they will fit my new guy).

Thanks again!
                <3 Vinnie <3
                1992-2010

Comment

I was going to add that I've got a Northwind Midweight Turnout for Gus and it is holding up beautifully. I'm the second owner (purchased used through Ebay) and it's been going strong for at least 5 winters. With the exception of a few minor tears (easily fixed myself) it's doing great. I do rewaterproof all my blankets yearly though, just as a precaution, so I couldn't tell you how long the original waterproofing lasts.

Excellent blanket though IMO. I think I'll switch to the Smartpak ones though once I need to start replacing blankets... they look to be nearly identical and Smartpak's customer service is excellent (as are prices, for the most part).
                  Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
                  See G2's blog
                  Photos

Comment

I bought a Northwind sheet in fall 2008 and it's held up wonderfully. Love the reflective piping and the snaps at the chest instead of buckles.

It's been professionally cleaned at the end of each season and comes back looking brand spanking new. I've been quite pleased with it.
                    Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

Great blankets! They hold up very well and Dover honors the 2-year warranty, no questions asked. That makes them worth the extra money.

Comment

I have 2 blankets and a sheet, have had 1 blanket for... oh I forget, 5 years? and the other blanket and sheet for 3ish. They all get washed Very Often as my horse loves to get them as dirty as possible lol. Hold up great, even to horsey roughhousing with lots of teeth action... lol

Comment

• Original Poster

Awesome, so far, sounds like it's worth the little bit extra! Will definitely be ordering him a sheet soon, and if all holds up, a couple of blankets for winter!

Thanks everyone!
                          <3 Vinnie <3
                          1992-2010

Comment

Working...
                          X