• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD, Thank you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD, Thank you

Thanks again!
    Last edited by BunithGrace; Sep. 10, 2010, 11:22 AM.

Hoof supplements are working?
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

Picture?

"Round" is generally not good in the context of a hoof profile.
      Has it by chance been wet where the horse lives?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

Comment

• Original Poster

Deleted.
          Last edited by BunithGrace; Sep. 10, 2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

Comment

Looks like the new hoof growth is coming in at a better angle than the old hoof growth. If you added a hoof supplement 2 months ago, that would be about right for that amount of growth. The new growth coming in at a better angle is making the old growth look bulged out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!
                Last edited by BunithGrace; Sep. 10, 2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Ok, this is what I was hoping to see Well, not really, but much better than a "bubble" at the top LOL

The 2nd picture shows a TERRIBLY hoof form, caused by long-term poor, poor trimming. This isn't about shod or not, not even about the hoof supplement, this is about someone finally doing something to correct the breakover of the toes (and more, but that's the easiest to see).

However, hmmm, now that I'm thinking about this - is this the same farrier who has been doing this pony all this time? This MAY be about shoes vs not, but not in the way you might be thinking. If barefoot allowed the feet to have toes worn where they *should* be, instead of where the trim and shoes were forcing them to be, that could account for the new, more correct growth.

The old growth here, if allowed/caused by the current farrier, IMNSHO means the farrier needs to go. Those are long toes, left long for at least a full growth cycle, so 9+ months. Not good.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

Comment

Not JB, but I've been in your shoes. IMHO, I'd be unhappy with both the trim and the shoeing, the latter more because he's shoeing to fit that godawful trim.

JB, we've got some rather underrun heels here too, haven't we? Those heels shouldn't be a third of the way under her foot. They need to be brought back a lot, but that will take time.

OP, unfortunately, you'll want to start learning what a decent trim should look like, and what a good shoeing job (on top of a good trim) looks like. When you feel like you can talk fairly intelligently with your farrier about the issues you're seeing with your pony's trim, you'll want to do that politely. You'll also want to start looking at other farriers' work and having a few new farriers in mind in case that talk doesn't go well.

I've been where you are now--two years ago, my mare's feet looked bad too. Her toes were ridiculously long, her sole had stretched forward with them, and her heels were way under her foot. She had gone lame, and that was the impetus for me to start learning about feet. I talked with her former farrier and we ended up agreeing to disagree about mare's trim.

Long story short, I found a new trimmer, got the mare on a diet that met her nutritional needs, and gave her a lot of time off. She came sound and ended up being a much nicer mover than I would have thought.
                      Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by BunithGrace View Post
                        Hi JB,

Thanks for your reply. I read your post about three times and you'll have to forgive me, I'm not very good knowing about feet.
                        No forgiveness needed, everyone has to start somewhere

When we pulled the shoes, her farrier (who has been doing her feet for years now) didn't do anything except a little toe rolling because he didn't want her to be sore.
                        That is often the best thing to do. But, it doesn't mean "and then I'll be back in 6-8 weeks for a real trim". It usually means coming back in to weeks or so to assess things and determine what, if anything, can and should be trimmed further

She went way longer than normally between rounds (she is on a 5 week schedule), and then he put the shoes back on her fronts as I found it was too difficult to keep her boots on and my husband and i really like to ride trails.
                        Forgive me if I missed it, but how long since the last trim in the pictures?

So, you believe the trimming is the problem? Or the shoeing? Or both?
                        The trimming at the least. If the shoes were set on as correctly as they could be on an incorrect trim, they will just look bad by the time weeks have gone by and a long foot is even longer, pulling the shoe forward with it.

Again, I'm sorry but this is like a foreign language to me.
                        don't be sorry! You're interested in and trying to learn - THAT is the good part

Originally posted by onelanerode View Post
                        JB, we've got some rather underrun heels here too, haven't we? Those heels shouldn't be a third of the way under her foot. They need to be brought back a lot, but that will take time.
                        Absolutely.

Heels really tend to follow toes. Toes getting long and forward pull the heels forward, and all that contracts the foot and often thins the sole.

OP, unfortunately, you'll want to start learning what a decent trim should look like, and what a good shoeing job (on top of a good trim) looks like. When you feel like you can talk fairly intelligently with your farrier about the issues you're seeing with your pony's trim, you'll want to do that politely. You'll also want to start looking at other farriers' work and having a few new farriers in mind in case that talk doesn't go well.
                        Yep, what you said

www.barefoothorse.com is, IMHO, a great place to look at good and bad feet, some befores/afters, with some decent explanations as to what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it (over time). The picture galleries are great. Don't get sucked into any "shoes are bad" information you read there, because shoes in and of themselves to not make for feet like these

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

Comment

Wait, are you saying it had only been a *week* between the trim/shoeing, and this picture?
                            http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_5716.jpg

You CAN (and should) start that conversation with your farrier, but IME, if he's allowed and caused this to this point, he most likely doesn't give a darn and can't or won't recognize poor hoof form. That his job, not yours, so if that's the case, talking to him *might* help for a trim or two, but again IME it's likely to be short-lived.

It's still always a good idea to start a discussion though, so at least you know where he stands.

Comment

• Original Poster

Deleted
                              Last edited by BunithGrace; Sep. 10, 2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BunithGrace View Post
                                JB, I just checked my calendar. It's been 2 weeks.
                                My thoughts still stand - no reason for a foot to look like that after 2 weeks

The farrier is the same since I've owned this pony. She's never been let get this long between trimmings as the last two, and I will take full credit for not having him back to trim her after pulling the shoes.
                                Unfortunately, these feet don't look like this due to 1, or, or even 3 overdue trims. This isn't even a matter of looking like this due to being way, way overdue. These feet have been a work in progress for quite a while

These were her feet last summer:

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/IMG_1003.jpg

Same farrier.
                                Better, but still not acceptable. The shoe is too short, and appears to be set at the end of an already long toe. It's only gotten worse since then.

I do want to work with him, he would (I think) be open to working on her differently.
                                Unfortunately, this isn't about doing something strange, or different, or off the wall, this is all/mostly about just doing it correctly. He has not seen, or cared, that the toes have gotten longer and longer over the last year.

I just am not sure what my line of conversation should be. Should I begin with asking him if he thinks he would be able to slowly start bringing her toes back?
                                I think a very valid starting point would be the difference in new hoof growth you're now seeing. Tell him you noticed that and are wondering why the older growth is so different in angle. His answer will tell you a lot about what he knows, or thinks he knows.

Are underrun heels and long toes the majority of the issue here?
                                Yep, at least from these pictures. There may also be side-to-side imbalances as well, but that's all part of properly trimming.
                                Again, thank you sincerely for your help.

Comment

Maybe you could show him the before (last fall pictures) and the now pictures and see what he would suggest. The before picture is a better looking hoof.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sounds like a plan. Thanks guys.

Comment

Agree with JB. Last summer's picture shows a more correct foot than what the recent pictures show, but it's still not a good trim.

And I also agree with JB on the "if he knew/cared how to do it right, he'd have done it right from the start" bit. Farriers who know how to do their jobs don't have to be told by owners (who should know less about proper trimming/shoeing than the professionals they're paying), and if he truly doesn't know how to trim correctly, do you want him "practicing" on your pony's feet?

There are really good farriers out there. Start looking at other horses' feet. When you find ones that look balanced, ask who does them. That will help you find someone. And it's generally better than just asking around, because different people have a different idea of what makes a good trim/shoeing job. (For some people it's how long that shoe stays on ... the longer the better!)

Good luck.
                                      Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

Working...
                                      X