Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Must have topicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must have topicals

Big dees is having a sale and I want to start getting stuff I need to prep for moving to Wellington/Loxahatchee. What are good ointments/topicals/shampoos to have on hand? I have basics like corona, furizone, basic triple antibiotic cream, betadine scrub, and alushield. What else is good to have on hand for fungus or summer sore prevention. I’m thinking the blue lotion stuff would be good to have. Anything else? Thanks!

I'm a huge fan of Coat Defense powder, especially as a preventative. My guy gets liberal applications on his back legs and it keeps the crud away, and it doesn't build-up and cause a gross mess like ointments/creams.
    A blonde & her hunter:
    www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

BluKote or other product based on Gentian Violet.

It is an effective antifungal and dries up small wounds which is what you want in a humid climate. It is also great for mild thrush or "pre thrush" hooves.

Comment

Things I reach for first are:

Betadine scrub
        Chlorhexidine ointment
        Alushield
        Corona or udder balm
        Nasacort spray
        Su-Per Sweat (so much better than dmso&furazone)
        Some sort of cooling liniment, there are so many, they all work about the same
        Wonder dust
        Uptite
        Durasole

...a sale you say? Will have to go check that out!

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
          BluKote or other product based on Gentian Violet.

It is an effective antifungal and dries up small wounds which is what you want in a humid climate. It is also great for mild thrush or "pre thrush" hooves.
          A quick note that in Canada the gov't has banned the sale of anything that uses gentian violet as the link between GV use and cancer has now been proven.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
            Things I reach for first are:

Betadine scrub
            Chlorhexidine ointment
            Alushield
            Corona or udder balm
            Nasacort spray
            Su-Per Sweat (so much better than dmso&furazone)
            Some sort of cooling liniment, there are so many, they all work about the same
            Wonder dust
            Uptite
            Durasole

...a sale you say? Will have to go check that out!
            It’s not a huge sale, but free freight deals for shipping and ulcergard has a rebate plus gift card!

Comment

Originally posted by kashmere View Post

A quick note that in Canada the gov't has banned the sale of anything that uses gentian violet as the link between GV use and cancer has now been proven.
              Actually it hasn't been proven. It was banned because it was being tossed into tilapia fish ponds and showing up in the food chain. I don't have a problem with keeping it out of food! But as a topical it is harmless and useful.

Comment

Alushield
                BluKote
                Scarlet Oil
                Zinc oxide powder
                Coconut oil
                Tea Tree oil
                Durasole
                copious amounts of vet wrap because I use it for all kinds of things
                Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

I love DermaGel for cuts and scrapes.
                  I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Cortisone cream, Benadryl cream, Aloedine shampoo.

Comment

I'm a "keep it simple" girl when it comes to first aid supplies. In large part because my last show horse was absurdly sensitive and allergic to almost EVERYTHING, so I learned to be very careful about anything topical. I try to keep on hand:

Nolvasan solution (for cleaning wounds)
                      MicroTek medicated shampoo (for fungus/rain rot/scratches)
                      MicroTek medicated spray (for fungus/rain rot/scratches)
                      Horsemen's Dream aloe cream: https://www.bigdweb.com/product/aloe...ategory=100605 (for all skin wounds)
                      Epsom salts (for sweat wraps or, very rarely - I have Arabs - abscesses)
                      Some version of the yellow ointment formerly known as nitrofurazone (for sweat wraps)

That's really it when it comes to topicals. It took me about 15 years of trial and error to settle on those products after trying literally everything on the market at one point or another. Lol. I'm pretty set in my ways at this point!

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Actually it hasn't been proven. It was banned because it was being tossed into tilapia fish ponds and showing up in the food chain. I don't have a problem with keeping it out of food! But as a topical it is harmless and useful.
                        Oop, fair enough. Went back and read the Health Canada release and you're totally right that the identified risk is food. I guess it's a moot point since it's no longer available for me to buy, but I would likely have stopped using it anyway, since they do articulate that there is "no safe level of exposure." And with horses, if it's on their feet, and they step on their hay, then eat the hay... personally it would feel too much a risk, but to each their own!

Comment

Originally posted by kashmere View Post

Oop, fair enough. Went back and read the Health Canada release and you're totally right that the identified risk is food. I guess it's a moot point since it's no longer available for me to buy, but I would likely have stopped using it anyway, since they do articulate that there is "no safe level of exposure." And with horses, if it's on their feet, and they step on their hay, then eat the hay... personally it would feel too much a risk, but to each their own!
                          ​​​​​​BluKote dries very fast and does not come off on the ground or hay. No safe level of exposure can mean that no safe level has been established, not that it's actually dangerous in tiny quantities. Also this is about eating it, not as a topical.

I agree with
                          ​​​​​​keeping it out of the food chain. But there are many other topicals I wouldn't eat! Copper sulfate, iodine, pine tar, Venice turpentine, dilute chlorine, are all useful hoof treatments that I would not eat. I wouldn't eat polysporin or Alushield either!

I am hoarding my last can. When the border reopens I will go buy some in the States.

​​​​

Comment

Groom's Hand for thrush. Swat. Coat Defense powder and their Trouble Spot Drying paste. Equiderma Skin Lotion and their Zinc Oxide paste. Magic Cushion for his feet if he has soft soles at all - it's wet much of the year down there (it was once everglades - drained with canals). Farnum Purishield Skin Spray - it's like a spray-on bandage (different from their wound spray with is a lot like Vetricyn).

Comment

If you’re looking for a fungal skin topical product, I really like Banixx. I will say I’ve had equal or better luck treating the same issues with Listerine (original brown kind) in a spray bottle for a fraction of the cost.

Magic Cushion, this stuff really is magic. I just had my first experience using it a few weeks ago. It draws heat and soreness out of their soles, 100% worth the $.

Some kind of ophthalmic ointment for eye irritation. I had to get this from my vet, but it’s not expensive and it’s really important to have on hand.

Branching off from purely medical supplies, Carr and Day mane and coat spray is amazing. Like. Puts Show Sheen to shame amazing. It doesn’t feel drying like SS, and the effects last much longer. It also dries on their tails faster so you can brush them out quickly. You also use a lot less product. It’s a little pricey but we REALLY like it.

I also like the Carr and Day Gallop shampoo (color enhancing.) Does it actually enhance their color? Doubtful, but it smells nice, washes well, and rinses well. It’s also pretty to look at and fun to buy something “tailored to your specific horse” which probably sounds dorky to some folks but I really like it

Comment

I made a slight error in my list above. The spray on bandage is Farnum Purishield Barrier Spray.

Comment

Since we are now talking about other grooming products, there is a citronella scented shampoo I really like. It’s easy to rinse, leaves a nice shine, and I think helps keep the bugs away. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...IaAui4EALw_wcB

Comment

For Florida:
                                    alushield
                                    quest plus (can use in summer sores so flies don’t lay eggs on them)
                                    swat
                                    ck shield soap for ant bites
                                    most other ointments you will want are prescription such as SSD cream and dermalone

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I’m stocking up today

Comment

If you have a horse with white (pink) heels or noses, stock up on generic diaper rash cream (Desitin). Make sure to get the kind with 40% zinc. I slather it on my horse's pink heels and nose to stop sunburn and funk on the heels. I also keep a mix of neosporin, hydrocortisone, athlete's foot cream, and "desitin" for stubborn funk on heels. If I use that, I then usually cover it with "desitin."

Comment

Working...
                                        X