• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff from H/J forum...using drugs off label/Mag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff from H/J forum...using drugs off label/Mag

Serious question here after reading the thread about using Magnesium IV just to calm horses for shows.

Are vets really handing out stocks and stocks of drugs to the trainers to use however and whenever they like?

I think this is pretty damn scary and unethical. These drugs are being used off label and I would think any licensed vet could get into serious trouble for stocking up trainers with loads of drugs such as dex and magnesium.

As I stated on that thread.....if you ask my vet for a drug (unless it's something like adequan/legend or a couple of tubes of bute/banimine to keep on hand for emergencies), he will not just hand them out without examining the horse and doing a thorough exam and then, he may very well say..."You don't need it" And he certainly wouldn't just leave stocks of drugs to be used at free will on a barn full of horses.

Am I crazy, or is this totally unethical/illegal?

Magnésium is NOT a drug...

And I give mine some Vitamin B1 for the shows to calm my mare down as well. LOTS of people use it... AND these can be bought off the shelves at any good tack stores...

Not more harmfull than glucosamine, or all the herbs remedies....nor more than the multi vitamine pills I take once in a while or the coffee I take in the morming...

What is your point?!? You can't compare to bute, adequan or banamine....
    ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
    HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Magnesium as an oral supplement may not be a regulated drug, but as an injectable it sure is.

Comment

Injectable magnesium sulfate is a prescription drug.
        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
          Magnésium is NOT a drug...

And I give mine some Vitamin B1 for the shows to calm my mare down as well. LOTS of people use it... AND these can be bought off the shelves at any good tack stores...

Not more harmfull than glucosamine, or all the herbs remedies....nor more than the multi vitamine pills I take once in a while or the coffee I take in the morming...

What is your point?!? You can't compare to bute, adequan or banamine....

As two people have already pointed out...YES, it is. What's my point? I think I was pretty clear on what my point is..go over to the H/J thread and read. Trainers are mixing up prescription cocktails to take the edge off their horses at shows (OFF LABEL USE). In this state, if you are not a licensed veterinarian, it is ILLEGAL to practice veterinarian medicine on anyone else's horse. And these trainers are getting the drugs from somewhere and apparently keeping enough on hand to use them during the show season. Where are they getting these drugs in large numbers?

Comment

Any substance that is being injected with the intent of changing an animal's physiology, behavior, etc. can very well be considered a DRUG. Hell, it can even kill them--that good enough to qualify it as such?

Not more harmfull than glucosamine, or all the herbs remedies
            The nice thing about DRUGS is one knows if they are harmful or not, there are dosing ranges, known effects and side effects, and one knows what one is getting. One cannot say the same, at all, about "herbs remedies".

Maybe when what happened to those poor polo ponies starts happening to some half-million dollar hunters, people will wise up a little.
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

@Dalpal: If they are doing this and are against the rules/law, and you are aware of it, just file a complain. You can always file complains agaisnt their vet as well... You can pass the word around and make it clear you do not want to be associate with those...

You know that cafeine is a drug....maybe some here should be more carefull and take it down a little... OR have a beer to calm down...

Comment

Caffeine is a LEGAL drug. For humans. Even ones competing at horse shows. Maybe they SHOULD test the riders instead of the horses, though--that would be interesting!

Comment

Not more harmfull than glucosamine, or all the herbs remedies
                  So the herbal remedies which can easily cause an abortion in a pregnant mare is not harmful? Autumn Crocus is an herbal remedy, and can cause issues with cell division, meaning potential birth defects.

"herbal" or "natural" is NOT the same as "safe". Yew and Hemlock are natural. Foxglove is natural - a little is great for helping heart issues, a little too much will kill ya. Selenium is natural and required, but too much can kill ya.

Comment

The whole issue of herbal remedies is a big one. People think that they are natural and safe. All they are is unregulated. By getting the designation of a food supplement (talking about both human and animal supplements), they do not have to go through the approval process with the government. There is no quality control and no assurance that you are getting what you think you are getting, either in terms of the content or the dose.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      So the herbal remedies which can easily cause an abortion in a pregnant mare is not harmful? Autumn Crocus is an herbal remedy, and can cause issues with cell division, meaning potential birth defects.

"herbal" or "natural" is NOT the same as "safe". Yew and Hemlock are natural. Foxglove is natural - a little is great for helping heart issues, a little too much will kill ya. Selenium is natural and required, but too much can kill ya.
                      I'm not saying they are not...but <not more than>...
                      Everything can be toxic and dangerous if not well handle and given...This is why there is some rules where Devil's Claw and Valerian are not legal for shows and Bute and Mg are.

What is dangerous are the extremes on both sides.

Comment

It is too bad that in some show circles, it almost seems one MUST use all these things, legal or not, in order to win.

I don't have a solution, but once the big money got involved in horse shows somewhere after 1975, things started going downhill.

I certainly don't mind horses and people being given therapeutic substances when something is ailing the individual, but such an individual ought to stay home, rest and recover, not do a shot of somethingorother and go compete anyway. Goes for the riders too. Anyone remember the big name show jumping rider's love affair with Cocaine? (hahaha- yeah, I know, which one!)

its a darn shame.
                        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

You said Mg was no more harmful than glucosamine or ALL herbal remedies. That's just not true. Yes, extremes of anything are usually dangerous, but the safe limits of everything, or even whether it's safe at all (ie not every herbal is safe at all) vary, with ranges being very small to very large.

Everything can be toxic and dangerous if not well handle and given...This is why there is some rules where Devil's Claw and Valerian are not legal for shows and Bute and Mg are.
                          That makes absolutely no sense. You're implying that there is no harm in mis-handling/mis-using DC and Valerian, while bute and Mg don't have those issues.

That's not the end of it though. Take your "safe" bute above - give that with banamine and you can cause permanent kidney damage.

Just because something is allowed or not does not mean it is more or less dangerous. It's not that simple.

Comment

[QUOTE=dalpal;5062205]
                            I think this is pretty damn scary and unethical. QUOTE]

You're telling me! I'm reading that H/J thread right now, and sweet chocolate Christ is it horrifying! I have zero experience with hunters or any kind of competitive riding (I'm only a lowly trail rider), but I think that whole "drug them up to win, the horse's well-being be damned" mentality is just repulsive.

Also: 1.5 hours lunging?? That blows my mind. I shudder to think of the poor horse's joints. Not to mention, who even has the time and patience to stand there and longe their horse for almost 2 hours? I can barely stand to longe my cold-backed TB for the 10 minutes that I do.

Comment

At FEI comps they do!

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                              Caffeine is a LEGAL drug. For humans. Even ones competing at horse shows. Maybe they SHOULD test the riders instead of the horses, though--that would be interesting!
                              If you show FEI as in in international comps (not FEI at USEF shows), they do test the riders! At the start of the competition you get a list of what you can and can't drink or take or eat. Or at least what they suggest you should not take or eat.
                              EG 1 -2 cups of coffee, more than that could push your caffeine level too high.
                              No OTC cold medicines.
                              ETC.
                              MW
                              Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
                              Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
                              New edition of book is out:
                              Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

I never got any list, nor have I ever been tested, but I've only done two FEI-level events, ever, so my personal sample size is tiny. Seems fair to me, though.

Comment

• Original Poster

@Dalpal: If they are doing this and are against the rules/law, and you are aware of it, just file a complain. You can always file complains agaisnt their vet as well... You can pass the word around and make it clear you do not want to be associate with those...

You know that cafeine is a drug....maybe some here should be more carefull and take it down a little... OR have a beer to calm down...
                                  I don't know who the people are in the H/J forum...just read the thread.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm talking about OFF LABEL USE OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS by a non licensed veterinarian...not herbal ones. The drugs that trainers must be getting somewhere other than a drug store or online shop.

Comment

Perhaps the veterinarians are furnishing with knowledge as to their use. We keep a stock of a lot of different drugs on hand and give them, at the veterinarian's direction. Saves him a trip on occasion or at least puts a call off until the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
                                        I'm talking about OFF LABEL USE OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS by a non licensed veterinarian...not herbal ones. The drugs that trainers must be getting somewhere other than a drug store or online shop.
                                        I've been horseshowing for over 50 years. I've had relationships with many trainers, most of them nationally known. In all that time, I've used a large number of vets and some of those relationships have lasted years. Not once, NOT ONCE, have I, or a trainer of mine ever been denied any sort of drugs by a vet, especially those mentioned in these threads. And, they are given out in sufficient quantities to last months. I suppose this is because the trainer is often on the road and does not have access to their normal vet to replenish their supply. The vet assumes the trainer and/or owner is using those drugs as intended, but how does the vet really know?

Quite frankly, you may be shocked, but I think dispensing these types of drugs to trainers is common practice. I've never seen it done DIFFERENTLY, actually.

Take that any way you want...

Comment

Working...
                                        X