• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse behavior--interesting situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse behavior--interesting situation

My old man left a ancient "widow". She's blind and deaf and lame from ringbone. She has not done well after his death.

I tried to turn her out with a couple of younger mares, and it didn't work. One has developed a genuine hatred for her and will savage her if she can get within range. She charges the old girl, leaves tooth marks, and has actually rolled her once.

I've been told that in wild herd situations, the herd mares will decide that it's time an old horse should go away and will exhibit savaging behavior. I once took on an old mare (for Duncan) because the herd she was living with did this exact same thing.

Is this true?

I'm talking to the vet Monday about having Sophie put down. She's lonely, not moving much from her run in, and seems very disoriented. She feels safe with me and has become very snuggly. I could get her a mini or another companion, but I really think I was keeping her going just for Duncan who was devoted to her.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

It could be her time, and probably some of the herd dynamics issues come from the fact she doesn't see the horse language and respond properly, ie move off when mare does ugly move over face.

Do you have just one mild mannered filly or mare you could put next to her in a pen and see how they react? She may not be able to go out in a group without a protector.

Ii really don't have any words of wisdom, I am sorry you are going through this.

Comment

• Original Poster

It's more than just not recognizing horse language. She has a run-in stall and paddock on one side of my shedrow, and the other mares are on the other side with run-in stalls that are adjacent to the old one's. If she gets too close to their side in her stall, which is closed off from them, the one mare will charge the front of old one's stall and bite her.

Comment

What an awful situation, poor thing!

I don't have any suggestions (it sounds like you have thought this through, and will do the right thing by this old girl), but I wanted to share an experience relating to what you wrote about the "herd savaging an older mare."

Years ago I boarded at a smallish facility where one of the kindly boarders had "rescued" an old mare (age indeterminate, maybe upper 20's, 30?); she had been a rental horse (for yahoos to "use like a motorcycle" for $15 an hour) for many, many years. Poor animal, she had surely paid her dues, and *deserved* a few years of peace and good treatment. (She had Cushings, a horribly swayed back, etc.) She was retired/turned out in a big field, with a herd consisting of a an older Morgan gelding (kept to himself, self sufficient and well behaved), and two horses who had been moved together to this facility--one was a nasty little mare (bad manners, spoiled, mean), and the other was a big old gelding, who I guess was her "bitch". One day they "tag teamed" this older mare (this was one day *after* I had seen them herding her away from the water trough and generally aggressing against her--I of course stopped this, and told the owner immediately), but the very next day they escalated the behavior, pushed/herded her into a corner and kicked the hell out of her. Luckily someone got there shortly thereafter, rescued her, and was able to get her out of there and call the vet, but they had ruptured her stomach wall with the kicking (among other things), and she had a hernia; she had to wear a special "girdle" (hubby and I had to re-tighten it several times daily when we were on "barn duty"), and the poor old thing was then removed from that field and put in a smaller paddock, with a rescued mini. So she lived through it (with long-term repercussions from her injuries, of course), but it was *so* clear that they "had it in for her" and would have killed her if they could. The couple who owned the bully horses were in "outraged denial" that their "babies" would have done such a thing, and refused to believe it. I wanted to shoot all 4 (husband, wife, bully horses.)

So maybe there is some truth to this theory about horses in the wild? In any case, thank goodness for human compassion, but also for human objectivity when it comes to end of life decisions; I think they really do tell us when it's time to go. Maybe it's not yet time for your old girl, but at least you are trying to protect and care for her the best you can. This has been a rough summer, and I'm sorry...

(We just lost an 25 gelding who has been boarded in my mare's 3 stall barn for 4 years; it's just been her, the BM's horse and this older guy, who succumbed to colic last weekend. Her reaction to his absence has been interesting; she is on long-term stall rest right now, but she still considered him "part of her herd", and seems confused by the fact that his stall is empty.)

Keep us posted on this poor mare; this is a heartbreaking situation.
        "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

• Original Poster

I should probably mention that the mare on the non-geriatric side who is doing most of the harm is the omega mare on that side.

So probably Sophie's inability to read horse language does have a lot to do with it. But not all, because Duncan did protect her from the youngers for years.

I know with Bud in the hospital and D dead after Bud left, the herd dynamics have to be in terrible flux.

Comment

Oh, how sad. I feel for her. I do think horses develop emotional attachments and they can eventually cope but they suffer in the meantime. After all, they aren't in the wild having to survive any more. I know you will do the best thing. It is odd how the other mare is now changing her behavior toward her, though.
            Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
            Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Seems obvious that since she's blind and deaf he was her eyes and ears.

Now she can't see or even hear cues from other herd members so her behavior can be misread as a challenge.

Poor old dear.

Comment

The herds definitely do drive out the older guys. My old man (who is only 19, but has had difficulty with arthritis for at least 3 years now) used to live in a really large paddock with a whole load of other horses. He's always been the alpha horse in herd dynamics as a younger horse, but this year whenever I went he would be in a different spot to all the others. He never had bite/kick marks on him, but maybe he couldn't keep up, or maybe they just moved him off, who knows? I just felt desperately sad for him since he'd always been so social.

Anyway now he's in a smaller paddock with my 4yo, and is teaching said youngster (who adores him and then some!) some manners. And they play "flymasks", which is where they rip each others masks off and play tug-of-war with them.

Point of that long-winded story - you should definitely separate her from the herd. And maybe find one horse to be her friend. Just listen to her and she'll let you know when her time has come and she's not enjoying life any more.

Comment

Poor girl - sounds like she's having a tough time.
                  I know you will do the right thing for her.

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                  It's more than just not recognizing horse language. She has a run-in stall and paddock on one side of my shedrow, and the other mares are on the other side with run-in stalls that are adjacent to the old one's. If she gets too close to their side in her stall, which is closed off from them, the one mare will charge the front of old one's stall and bite her.
                  The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                  H. Cate

Comment

Yes

I've seen exactly what you described and was shocked that I was seeing it..............I do believe horses know when anothers time is up and can be very brutal about trying to speed that clock up. Why in a domesticated situation thay still do it is my question but then again they are animals with instincts.

Comment

Working...
                    X