Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hock Arthritis: Adequan, Pentosan, Legend, Hytril?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hock Arthritis: Adequan, Pentosan, Legend, Hytril?

Adequan, Legend, Pentosan or Hytril..?

Overwhelmed with the choices, and would like feedback and experience on what works best.

My 14 yr old flexed slightly positive in both hocks on his yearly soundness exam yesterday. My vet didn't feel blocks or further diagnostics were necessary because he is sound outside of flexions.

I was suggested any of the above injectables, but I'd love to hear what works for other COTHers.
    "i'm a slow learner, it's true."

I’ve had good results with Pentosan for my almost 20 yo gelding. Definitely seems to make a difference in his comfort with just one monthly injection. Plus it’s relatively budget friendly if you buy through a compounding pharmacy like Wedgewood.

Comment

Flexions only mean so much, so don't put too much stock in them! I'm sure that's why your vet didn't feel more diagnostics were necessary. I agree with Amy3996 and the Pentosan! I used adequan for years my horse was needing his hocks and coffins injected at least once every 12 months or a little less. I switched to pentosan and he no longer need as much maintenance. Hocks stretched out to almost 18 months and didn't need his coffins done at all. He's semi retired now, but still works and jumps regularly, just not so high, and hasn't had any injections in a couple years. Pentosan is the best!

Comment

My gelding was also diagnosed with mild hock arthritis around 13 years old (confirmed with xray)- but he was off, not completely sound outside of flexion tests like your guy. We started off with steroid joint injections annually and Pentosan once a month. Pentosan made a huge difference initially, but the longer we were on it (and as his arthritis advanced) the less we noticed it helped. Around 16, I stopped Pentosan and switched to Previcoxx/Equioxx as needed along with annual joint injections. At almost 18, hes now on Previcoxx/Equioxx every other day and hock injections as needed. Recently every 6 months, as we're coming back from a soft tissue injury. But hoping to extend that back out to 9 months - year if hes going ok. At some point we'll step down from jumping, but he is still game to do it right now! (Granted, we really don't jump anything > 3').

Comment

Around 3 years ago, my horse was refusing jumps, one vet was stuck on kissing spine. Which he did have after having x-ray done. The kissing spine was so minor, he felt it wasn't enough to warrant the refusals we were experiencing.

I decided on a 2nd opinion and had another vet out who was more performance horse based. After flexions she said the hocks were his issue and it would be best to inject them.

I chose to inject the hocks, Best thing I ever did. Changed everything about him. He's happy, when we are at about a year and a half, he shows signs of needing to be done, so I do believe in doing them yearly if you can.

I also have him on an oral supplement, he had water on his knee when he was 10, put him on Triacta HA and the water on the knee went down completely. After a few years I wanted to try Pentosan, took him off Triacta HA and put him on Pentosan, the water on his knee came back, not as much, but still showed fluid on his knee. Put him back on his joint supplement and haven't looked back since. He will now be 17 this year, I inject his hocks yearly, and he is on a joint supplement. I feel like I would like to add Adequan, Legend or Polyglycan to him as well. Although this is not cheap.

He is on a regular massage schedule, but I will be upping his chiro schedule as I think this will help. If I can, once a month would be what I would inject monthly, but I feel like I should keep him on his oral supplement as well.

I am not a fan of previcox, I like it for short term help when healing muscles or helping them through some pain issues, but I'm not huge on them being on it daily for the rest of their lives and being ridden. Just a personal opinion, but I do understand why many do it.

My vet has at times recommended a 30 day dose of previcox in the winter to help him with any arthritic aches, as we are in Canada and it can be quite achey at times.

At the end of the day, they'll let you know when they are done.

Comment

Working...
          X