Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

T.C senior noticed a change but from a certain mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T.C senior noticed a change but from a certain mill

Just a PSA:

We usually get our T.C senior from a co-op but for some reason ran out so I went to grab a bag from a nearby feed store...

Well, the difference was noticeable from each bag.

the lot # and mill # were in a different format so I know they came from Different mills.

The one from the local feed store had a 5 letter and digit number on the paper end of the bag , while Our normal batch had a much longer letter/number combo and you could easily tell when it was made.

The local feed stores bag was full of chopped corn, looked and smelled like waaaay more molasses and the beetpulp was chopped much finer.

The co-op bag had no chopped corn. Bigger flakes of beetpulp and no molasses smell or sticky stuff stuck to the inside of the bag.

So strange!

I was quite worried having to use that bag.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

I was talking to a feed rep about a year ago she she said some major changes were probably going to happen to Triple Crown. Southern States apparently sold out Cargill, who owns Nutrena and Purina, and her hypothesis was that Triple Crown was going to start using Cargill's mills. (Her goal in telling me this was to sell me Cavalor or something I think.)

Our co-op is part of Southern States and their "Legends" products are now in Nutrena packaging with a picture of the old Legends bag in the corner. My barn owner has noticed a difference in the Triple Crown products as well as the Legends products. He says every horse in the barn who eats those products has had changes in their manure and behavior and is not happy about it. He says they're wired, so it makes sense that there is a new, more sugary mix out now.

So OP, hopefully your coop didn't run out because their supplier is switching mills too.

Comment

Originally posted by Can'tFindMyWhip View Post
      I was talking to a feed rep about a year ago she she said some major changes were probably going to happen to Triple Crown. Southern States apparently sold out Cargill, who owns Nutrena and Purina, and her hypothesis was that Triple Crown was going to start using Cargill's mills. (Her goal in telling me this was to sell me Cavalor or something I think.)

Our co-op is part of Southern States and their "Legends" products are now in Nutrena packaging with a picture of the old Legends bag in the corner. My barn owner has noticed a difference in the Triple Crown products as well as the Legends products. He says every horse in the barn who eats those products has had changes in their manure and behavior and is not happy about it. He says they're wired, so it makes sense that there is a new, more sugary mix out now.

So OP, hopefully your coop didn't run out because their supplier is switching mills too.
      Your post is absolutely full of misinformation. The feed salesperson you spoke to was trying to sell you the product she represented.

Southern States was purchased by Cargill more than a couple years ago. While Cargill owns the Purina brand everywhere BUT the U.S., Purina and Cargill have no affiliation in the U.S. Triple Crown is its own entity. They own their brand, do their own formulations, and have their product toll milled by other companies who own mills, as Triple Crown does not own any mills.

Purina is currently milling Triple Crown products. Blue Seal or Kent may also be milling for Triple Crown currently.

Triple Crown Senior has never had corn in it, unless it was whole corn left over from a cleaning run of the equipment in between batches. If there is more than a few kernels of corn here or there in a bag, you need to call Triple Crown’s customer service and report the issue. I seriously doubt Triple Crown has changed a formulation to a “new, more sugary mix”, as Triple Crown Senior has been a well received, well known low sugar, low starch product for many, many years now.

Feed can be manufactured by the same company, in different mills, and have a very different appearance due to the difference in ingredients. Ingredients can change from truck load to truck load.
      "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHeartSoul View Post
        Just a PSA:

We usually get our T.C senior from a co-op but for some reason ran out so I went to grab a bag from a nearby feed store...

Well, the difference was noticeable from each bag.

the lot # and mill # were in a different format so I know they came from Different mills.

The one from the local feed store had a 5 letter and digit number on the paper end of the bag , while Our normal batch had a much longer letter/number combo and you could easily tell when it was made.

The local feed stores bag was full of chopped corn, looked and smelled like waaaay more molasses and the beetpulp was chopped much finer.

The co-op bag had no chopped corn. Bigger flakes of beetpulp and no molasses smell or sticky stuff stuck to the inside of the bag.

So strange!

I was quite worried having to use that bag.
        Find out who the TC rep is for your area, give them the batch number, and "make" them find out what happened.

There might have been a glitch in the process that adds molasses. This bag might have been at the very beginning of a run and the chute wasn't cleared of the corn that was used to clean the chute so you ended up with a "throwaway bag". Mills should be setting aside X number of bags from the first of the run to make sure crossover contamination doesn't happen. Batches should be tested. Purina's mills do this (are supposed to), and I assume Blue Seal mills are supposed to as well - pretty sure that's a TC Requirement.

Originally posted by Can'tFindMyWhip View Post
        It's been a couple years now, and TC *stopped* using Cargill mills, and went to Purina Mills in the East ( I don't remember all the states/territories)

Was this a feed store feed rep? That are among the worst, in general, when it comes to knowing what's going on.

Nutrena/Legends is entirely separate from TC-anything, in all ways.

No, there is not a new, more sugary mix out there. TC formulas *did not change*. If you're having issues with TC feeds, please call them and talk to them about it. They really, truly care, IME. If your rep doesn't seem interested in getting to the bottom of this, please PM me and I will bring it to my region's rep's attention.

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post

Feed can be manufactured by the same company, in different mills, and have a very different appearance due to the difference in ingredients. Ingredients can change from truck load to truck load.
          The ingredients don't vary from mill to mill, truck load to truck load, with TC. They are very particular about who they source their main ingredients from, they don't just take any Joe Farmer's oats because they are cheap and local. They test every batch of ingredients for consistency in nutrition, and reject any that don't fall within a narrow margin of standards. So while oats might be sourced from different places if you're in NC vs Maine, they are still going to be very similar in appearance and nutritional profile, definitely not enough to make a very different appearance.

TC is a fixed formula line of products, which is why their main ingredients have such a narrow range for the nutritional profile.

Beet pulp can be lighter or darker depending on where it comes from, so that can change the shade of it to a degree, but not drastically

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            The ingredients don't vary from mill to mill, truck load to truck load, with TC.
            They most certainly do. TC do not Mill all their products themselves. In my area it is milled by Purina. I have stopped using it as the quality has plummeted.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I’ve been using Triple Crown on and off for the better part of 20 years and cannot say “the quality has plummeted.” We were having the same debates then as we are now regarding nit-picky things like rouge corn kernels, color/odor/texture change, bricking... none of which have ever seemed to amount to anything substantial. But overall, the formulas and ingredients have more or less remained consistent.

There are major feed companies where I believe the quality HAS plummeted due to changes in their formulations to improve cost effectiveness or changes in ownership. I would not put TC in that group.
              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post

They most certainly do. TC do not Mill all their products themselves. In my area it is milled by Purina. I have stopped using it as the quality has plummeted.
                They don't vary any more than any other company with mills in different areas of the country, or companies with different sources of the same ingredient.

TC has never milled their feeds. Their formulas have not changed since moving to Purina's mills.

Comment

Hey guys, just making conversation. Thought it might be interesting input. Thanks for reminding me why I don't come here anymore.

Comment

Why get upset over being corrected? Feed store reps are notoriously under- and misinformed about a whole lot of what they sell.

Comment

....this is why I feed "single ingredients" along with a fixed formula vit/min pellet...control and consistency...

Comment

The TC feed rep was actually out on Thursday. Triple Crown just changed the minerals in their senior formula slightly to increase amino acids. This could possibly cause the change in feed you've seen.

Comment

I gave up on TC over a year ago. I had very weird bags of TCC over several months and lost faith in their processes. And yes, I sent bag codes and such directly to TC each time.

Comment

Originally posted by DinkyDonk View Post
                            ....this is why I feed "single ingredients" along with a fixed formula vit/min pellet...control and consistency...
                            May I ask what you feed? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by scrbear11 View Post
                              The TC feed rep was actually out on Thursday. Triple Crown just changed the minerals in their senior formula slightly to increase amino acids. This could possibly cause the change in feed you've seen.
                              Yes, they updated the AA profile to be in line with ratios found in muscles (using lysine as a starting point), which did increase some of them. They also added some which weren't there, like leucine.

Comment

Why get upset over being corrected? Feed store reps are notoriously under- and misinformed about a whole lot of what they sell.
                                I don't trust the people at the fed store to know about these things either- I contact the company directly.

Comment

The ingredients don't vary from mill to mill, truck load to truck load, with TC. They are very particular about who they source their main ingredients from, they don't just take any Joe Farmer's oats because they are cheap and local. They test every batch of ingredients for consistency in nutrition, and reject any that don't fall within a narrow margin of standards. So while oats might be sourced from different places if you're in NC vs Maine, they are still going to be very similar in appearance and nutritional profile, definitely not enough to make a very different appearance.

TC is a fixed formula line of products, which is why their main ingredients have such a narrow range for the nutritional profile.

Beet pulp can be lighter or darker depending on where it comes from, so that can change the shade of it to a degree, but not drastically
                                  How many mills have you worked in and how many feed manufacturers have you worked for?

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post

How many mills have you worked in and how many feed manufacturers have you worked for?
                                    I'm talking only about TC, as my post indicated. And I know all this because I talk directly to my local rep, and have toured a Purina mill where my regional TC feeds are made, seeing how it all works, getting educated on the quality control processes they have.

And if you're referring to various mills having different batches of oats as being "different ingredients", then I also already covered that, and TC is no different from any other company who uses different sources for the same ingredients.

Comment

Touring a mill as a consumer is much different than working in one. I can assure you that batches of feed will appear different based on ingredients, even if the ingredients have the same nutritional profile. And that goes for Triple Crown products, as well as any other feed.

Comment

I never said otherwise In fact, I specifically called out beet pulp as one ingredient that can be lighter or darker and therefore alter the look of the end product.

Beet pulp also has a once-a-year harvest, and by the time you get to the end of that harvested product, it's likely to be more broken down than when freshly dried and stored. So, that starts affecting the look of anything with actual beep shreds in it. Like TC textured feeds.

I don't know how much the color of oats vary. I DO know they vary by weight, and TC is particular not only about the nutritional profile of every batch of oats they get, but their weight as well - can't be adding X volume of oats and have the feed be light this batch and heavy the next, and can't be adding Y pounds of oats and have the feed be low volume one batch and high volume the next.

Comment

Working...
                                        X