Sport Horse Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hack needed for poopy tail strap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack needed for poopy tail strap

I hate getting poop or poop juice on my hands every time I take blankets off. I replace the tail straps on blankets often but it only takes 2 days before they are gross again... any tricks that I haven't discovered?

Why are you touching the tail strap when removing a blanket?

I undo the belly straps, then the front, and pull the blanket. The closest my hands ever get to the tail strap is pulling the tail over it when I put the blanket back on, and I've never had hands on it then.

Comment

Buy the Rambo bungee ones.

Comment

Vet wrap. Just wrap the cord/strap in vet wrap. Then when it gets gross, take off the vet wrap and apply new. Problem solved.
        ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

I tend to remove them from blankets if I've got leg straps. It's overkill for most of mine to have all 3 and leg straps stay cleaner. For those that need the tail strap, most don't get it too messy, but I don't touch them while removing blankets, just slide everything down their butt when I remove each blanket.

Comment

Use a single strand of baling twine with two small snaps that you can buy anywhere. Cheap and easy to toss the twine when too dirty and add a new piece. I've done it this way for years. I personally hate the Rambo plastic covered ones and take them off any sheet/blanket that comes with one.
            "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

I'm with Simkie. I never undo mine, just undo front and belly straps and pull the blanket off over the back end. If the strap does get icky, as they do, I'll sometimes hose it off. I only undo the tail strap for taking a temp without removing the whole blanket (which doesn't happen often) or when I prep a blanket for washing (so once a year or so).

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                Why are you touching the tail strap when removing a blanket?

I undo the belly straps, then the front, and pull the blanket. The closest my hands ever get to the tail strap is pulling the tail over it when I put the blanket back on, and I've never had hands on it then.
                Yes, this.

Most of mine have the bungee style with a soft plastic type covering. So super easy to clean if need be. I think I have one or two old ones with the cloth strap, but easy enough to convert! I always pick up a few extra when I see them on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
                  I'm with Simkie. I never undo mine, just undo front and belly straps and pull the blanket off over the back end. If the strap does get icky, as they do, I'll sometimes hose it off. I only undo the tail strap for taking a temp without removing the whole blanket (which doesn't happen often) or when I prep a blanket for washing (so once a year or so).
                  Sometimes I feel like a moron when I read these posts! I always undo leg straps, pull blanket up over the hind quarters slightly, then undo belly straps, pull blanket up towards neck and undo chest straps and lift off.

I never thought of another possibility and yet it sounds so simple.

I guess I don't have to avoid tail straps like I have been when blanket shopping. Lol

Comment

rubygirl1968 this is why tail cords are FAB! Less stuff to undo or redo when dressing the horse

Comment

Horses=poop; deal with it!

Comment

I remove the tail straps. They don't help the blanket stay straight or anything. Just good for catching poop.

Comment

I am with ThreeFigs! Much prefer leg straps and remove the tail straps. We had not very skilled staff at one barn who did not pull tail over strap when putting on blankets and that decided me!

Comment

I hate leg straps and always remove one and make the other a tail strap. I've never had to touch it to remove or put on the blanket, I do as Simkie does.
                            Custom tack racks!
                            www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

IMO, leg straps are preferable to tail straps when dressing a mare. What's one more snap?

Comment

My previous barn staff (DH) refused to deal with leg straps so we are a Horeseware Ireland household. Now that I board, I've just removed all the tail straps but left them clipped to the outside of the stall with instructions to put one on if it is super windy so the Fat Spotted Horse does not end up wearing a Cape.

Comment

Baby Wipes

Comment

Working...
                                  X