Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Outside Living and Wildlife?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Living and Wildlife?

I think this topic has been covered plenty of times, but please bear with me because I haven't see any non weather related discussions.

My husband and I recently purchased an old dairy farm, cows haven't lived on it for at least a couple of decades. It's a 25 acre field and we have a ton of wildlife. Our big plan is to renovate the dairy barn, but this might take a few years. I would like to bring my horse home as soon as possible. I'm strongly considering the idea of constructing a 12'x24' or 12'x36' run in shed with an overhang for my gelding and a couple of companion donkeys to live. I'm really not worried about the weather, my horse does fine outside (actually prefers it I think). What I am worried about is the wildlife. Is there anything that I should be concerned about with horses living outside 24/7 in New England?

So far I've seen a lot of deer, a resident fox and a couple of coyotes. We are in Southern New Hampshire so bears aren't a huge issue, but they are still around. I'm hoping someone could put my worrying mind at ease!

I know it depends a lot on the part of the country (I'm Midwest), but our bears, foxes and coyotes stay out of our way - I've only seen a fox once and only see the coyote tracks. Hearing both can be scary, though - that's the only way I know we have both in the ravine that backs up to our land. Fox noises could easily be mistaken for a demon spawn and 2 coyotes, echoing, sound like 2 dozen. My biggest challenge have been the F%#$!^@ deer. They cause the dogs to bark, spook the horses (only when you're riding of course, I've seen the deer and horses in the same field), eat my EVERYTHING, and have damaged fences. I'd say most of our wildlife run-ins have been with rodents, large and small, trying to break into everything.

I think you'll be fine You're going to spend those first few nights worried awake anyways, and then just when you're getting used to it, the weather will change and you'll start worrying all over again

Comment

I think your horse will be fine, especially with a couple of donkeys and a run in shed. I live in the Midwest and I just make sure that my horses are vaccinated against rabies (plus the rest of the vacs) each year. My horses live with deer, coyotes, fox, raccoons, a bobcat or two and a few bear wandering through their field...and I've never had any problems. It goes without saying to keep any feed, cat food, or hay under wraps/behind closed doors to discourage critters from encroaching. Most stay a healthy distance away.
      The rabies vac is key though for peace of mind - make sure your horse has it on board.

If you've never had your gelding at home, you'll be nervous until everyone gets settled in- it will all be good. Enjoy!

Comment

I live in MA, but I'm right on the southern border of NH, so, howdy potential new neighbor!

Our horses have lived outside 24/7 with a run in, on our farm for the last fifteen years. They are enclosed in 3 strand electric tape, not wood fencing. We are smack between two large farms with tons of conservation areas abutting us, so we get all kinds of wildlife. We've gotten everything from coyotes, fishers, coydogs, bears, hawks, vultures, raccoons, bobcats, owls.. I see coyotes and deer regularly - bears I usually only see in late fall or winter. No issues, though the horses don't love encountering bear on the trail.

The worse to happen to us is about ten years ago a few of our bolder TBs stuck their noses into a porcupine.. it went about how you could expect.

The porcupine took a stroll through our paddock and was met by the TB Welcome Committee -- no vet call needed, but two very disgruntled TB noses with lots of quills needing extraction!

The deer, coyotes, and bears don't bother the horses.

Coyotes make for some great ratters and will not attack horses, in my experience. It's been a few years since we had a group live on the farm but we did have an older coyote that used to camp in our riding ring.. he was a great ratter. I think coyotes have a bad rap here, but they're really not the nuisance to horses a lot of people paint them as.. and having them attack horses is unheard of .They are very small here - around 30-40lb once fully mature.. they present more danger to chickens or cats than anything. Bobcats and fishers will eat chicken, and small cats, but are no threat whatsoever to equines.

Deer are also no threat to horses other than they tend to carry a lot of ticks so read up on lyme disease symptoms if you aren't familiar. We had a buck one year get stuck in the TB paddock and the TBs were having a party trying to sniff the poor thing, who was just bounding around panicking..

Lots of wildlife passes through the property to drink at one of the neighboring farm's run-off ponds, so I've seen all kinds of prints in the mud lately as I hack around the farm. I've never seen a bobcat in the flesh here, but I see a bobcat's prints every time I hack around the pond. Elusive! Same goes for raccoons and possums; I see all kind of evidence they are here, but never see them in the flesh.

The only concern we have about keeping animals and wildlife cohabiting, has been keeping small livestock like chickens. If you have small animals you may need to invest in a predator-proof enclosure if they are going to be "free ranging". The coyotes here make short work of any free-roaming small animal unless you keep them enclosed. The two farms next to us are both livestock farms - they don't run into any issues with the adult sheep but during lamb season they bring the mothers in because the coyotes will nab the babies if they're born out in the field.

Speaking of, aerial predators are also a concern for chickens. Sadly I lost one of my ducks a few years ago to a juvenile coopers hawk.. and for a few months last winter we did have a barred owl who lived by our horse trailer and ate the rodents around the farm.

Echo the post above, keeping grain and food tightly under wraps.. The only REAL issue I've had with wildlife in the last ten years is keeping the wood-rats out of the barn!! They eat the chicken feed, so we never leave chicken food out. I wouldn't mind them so much but they do put tunnels under the run-in.. it's gotten much better since we stopped offering free choice food for the chickens.

Honestly... like I said.. our biggest issues have come from managing the rodent population, and that one porcupine.. Enjoy your new home!! And welcome to the area
        Last edited by beowulf; Nov. 19, 2019, 03:04 PM.
        AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Originally posted by sekendahl View Post
          . . . What I am worried about is the wildlife. Is there anything that I should be concerned about with horses living outside 24/7 in New England?

So far I've seen a lot of deer, a resident fox and a couple of coyotes. We are in Southern New Hampshire so bears aren't a huge issue, but they are still around. I'm hoping someone could put my worrying mind at ease!
          I'm just north of the notches so pretty much the same wildlife except more moose and fewer deer. Nothing bothers my horses. My family had horses here, kept outdoors with a run-in shed, ~1977-1996 and again for the last 14 months. The bear come through the wooded part of the summer pasture but no sign they've ever interacted with the horses. (Our trail cam is set up there & we see them on it - and I have the part of the fence the horses generally don't approach, in the woods, a single strand of electric rope that's not even electrified for a portion specifically so as not to hinder the passage of wildlife.)

We also have llamas, about 1/3 the size of a horse, and they haven't been bothered by anything so far, either, though we have them behind a 5-strand fence.

The bear aren't completely benign. There is a history over the last several decades of bear taking out chickens in our town (I know of 4 occasions but I'm sure there are others). Most recently, a year ago one was deterred by the electric wire around a neighbor's run, but instead (unexpectedly) ripped through the wooden side of the coop. I recently heard that last fall was a very poor beechnut and acorn crop so the bears were desperate for fat for the winter.

Comment

I can't speak specifically to the New England area, but I live in Kansas and my horses are basically out 24/7, with all the wildlife. We have coyotes, fox, bobcat, deer, raccoons, possums, and yes, cougars (I've seen them). I've never had them bother the horses at all - the closest I ever saw one of my horses come to harm was when I watched Alex step off into the creek, right on to a water moccasin swimming on the surface. He never even knew the snake was there and I'm sure that snake had a major WTF?! moment!

As for smaller animals - bobcats transmit a virus to domestic cats that is fatal, coyotes will eat anything that moves. A few months ago, a cougar very nonchalantly walked through my neighbor's front yard. I have only seen one porcupine, and that's the one that delivered over 300 barbs to my dog. Otherwise, we all just figure out how to get along.

But the horses should be fine. In fact, you may walk out one morning and find them sharing their hay with the deer, as I do sometimes.

Comment

Yeah, there's really very little risk to your horses from most wildlife. Bears are of a little concern, though, and there was an incident of one killing a mini donkey in Connecticut a year or two back. NOT FEEDING the wildlife goes a looooooooong way to keeping them from hanging around. Keep your horse feed secure, don't feed the birds, lock up your trash. If you have little animals, like chickens, or barn cats, secure them, too, especially at night. Don't leave out a buffet, and you won't have critters looking for an easy meal. Consider keeping your horses up near the shed overnight, bears seem most active in the very early am? I no longer turn out on the field overnight, fearing (perhaps irrationally) that a bear will spook the horses through a fence at like 4am.

I see deer and coyotes regularly. Coyotes are curious but are not willing to take on anything large. We've had a coydog or two around too, including one that was colored like a blue merle dog. With game cams across the property, we catch pretty regular pics of fox and bobcat, sporadic raccoon and possum, some one offs of fisher cats and weasels. I've gotten one shot of bear every year. We also have hawks and owls.

And agree that the rats are the most irksome. It's this time of year that they try to move in, tunneling under the concrete slab of the barn. I've barely had MICE in the barn before, so the rats were a surprise.

Comment

Even here in cougar country, I do not worry about my horses. We have coyotes cross our back field regularly with nothing more than a casual nod by both at each other. Bobcat uses the same path and hole in the hedge row to move to the 100s of acres next door. Black bear in the Christmas tree farm engender nothing but an "alert" mode from my boys. The cattle next door have never been bothered by any wildlife either, even during calving season.

An adult, healthy horse is not really prey to much wildlife you'll encounter on your farm- here it's only cougar that will attack them and that is far rarer than the internet and FB would have you think.

Honestly? The biggest issue I have is sparrows in my barn (so.much.crap.on.everything!) and the blanketyblank California Gray Ground squirrel invasion that destroyed part of my barn floor by excavating under it. GRRR.
                Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

When we lived up North I had concerns about wolves because we saw a huge one just off our property, but nothing bothered my horses , cows or goats the years we lived there.

Comment

I kept my horses outside with a couple of nice sheds at 90 degree angles for shelter. This was in Colorado. We had lots of coyotes, the occasional mountain lion, bears had been seen in the area prior to me living there. We never had a problem. The first time a coyote howled after I got the horses, I happened to be out in the pasture with the horses, and they all tried to get behind me. But they soon figured out the coyotes weren't a threat. I would occasionally see a coyote run through the pasture, and the horses paid no attention.

The precautions I took were to never separate the small pony from the bigger horses, kept the grass down around the outside of the fence (so mountain lions couldn't sneak up on the horses), and kept food locked up tight.

Foxes liked to hang out near the horses, and the horses didn't mind them. We didn't have venomous snakes, which was good because the horses didn't react to snakes at all. We had tons of mule deer, and would occasionally find deer parts in the pasture. I was fine with the coyotes helping to keep the deer population in control. The coyotes and foxes also helped keep the rodents in check.

Rebecca

Comment

Just across the river in Brattleboro--hi neighbor!! As for wildlife---I've kept critters on the side of a mountain for years---the only worry ever was porcupines and curious horses (the haflinger got it good once) and moose walking through the fencing. That sucks but is manageable.

Comment

No, you don't need to have any concerns about wildlife hurting your horses. In fact, many native wildlife species will help both you & your horses.

Foxes, weasels, & coyotes will keep your feed - nibblers (mice & rats) in check. So will rat snakes, owls, hawks. Bats & songbirds will eat mosquitoes & other nuisance insects. Sparrows & crows will scatter manure in your pastures.

I'm a wildlife biologist & would be happy to answer any questions you may have. You can also always contact your state natural resource agency (that's who I work for, different state) , part of their role is answering questions.

The wildlife is one of the biggest assets of my property & I actively maintain different habitats for them, like leaving ephemeral floodplain wet areas alone for adorable mole salamanders, fencing horse out of surface waters, & leaving brush piles for all sorts of critters.

Except the fire ants. I try to appreciate all life, but draw the line at fire ants. Any other kind of ants are fine!
                        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much! I figured my concerns of wildlife were a bit much. Our 25 acres is conservation and has been for almost 20 years, so we have A TON of wildlife. We mostly just see deer and foxes and I know neither are much to worry about. However, we recently had a rabid raccoon on our property, so I'll add that to my list of things to be worried about 😄

I was mostly concerned about coyotes. We don't plan on any chickens for that reason. We will be getting goats, but we will be sure to bring them inside a barn at night!

Comment

You can get chickens but you'll need to have a secure enclosure and put them up at night. Coyotes or other canids won't go to the trouble of climbing a fence in daylight. I'm in GA and we've lost a couple of birds to hawks and maybe a total of a dozen young birds to rat snakes over the past 21 years.

Ducks will insist on getting predated on the wooded banks of the pond. Losses there would be much higher if we didn't have geese as well or didn't put the waterfowl in at night.

We stopped the free range (i.e. letting the poultry out of their yard during daylight hours) experiment when we came home after a trip to town to find dead and wounded chickens and turkeys. Feral dogs, because coyotes and foxes I(think) just kill what they can eat and take away. This was wanton slaughter.

Absolutely no harm to horses that I've noticed from wildlife bigger than insects in 14 years.

Edited to add: a secure enclosure for chickens has to be REALLY tight because foxes are smart, raccoons have clever hands, and weasels are freaking tiny, strong, and mean.

Comment

We are in Southern New Hampshire so bears aren't a huge issue, but they are still around. I'm hoping someone could put my worrying mind at ease!
                              We're in western MA where there have been some injuries to pastured horses that have been blamed on bears, or possibly mountain lions (which have been sighted but just not officially). I'm not sure anyone has actually seen a predator attack a horse, but there have been suspected attacks.

I try to keep my mini close to the house, and if I forget to lock the chickens up at night the fox, who comes through every night, will take one. This time of year it's pretty easy to get a good idea of what's out there, and how often they come through, just by going out after it snows and checking for tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post

Honestly? The biggest issue I have is sparrows in my barn (so.much.crap.on.everything!) and the blanketyblank California Gray Ground squirrel invasion that destroyed part of my barn floor by excavating under it. GRRR.
                                Here it's pigeons, which I keep to a minimum by closing up the barns and stealing their eggs as fast as they lay them until they give up, and woodchucks that excavate under the barn floors. Not very many of the woodchucks survive, though. I'll see the young ones for a season but then they disappear. I think when they're young they're too dumb and the coyotes get them?. Same with the chipmunks. We'll have trouble with them in the garden for a season or two, and then very few, or none, for years.

I also switched from a coarse (corn/oats) sweet feed to a pelleted complete feed, and soon noticed that neither the pigeons nor rodents (nor my chickens) eat it, which probably helps limit how fast they can reproduce.

Comment

I wouldn't worry.
                                  When my parents bought thier farm 20 years ago it was a similar situation. 95 acres backing on to crown land, but other than the neighbour taking hay off the front 20 no one had ventured past the house in previous 20 years.
                                  Lots of bears, the horses run those out of the fields though. They never batted an eye at the deer, coyotes, fox, etc. I've even got a video somewhere of a curious fox coming to the edge of the ring while I was riding. The only thing that made them nervous was moose. Luckily the moose don't make a habit of coming in to the fields.

I've got chickens at my house. They're in a Fort Knox coop/run. When I'm home they get let out in a 30'x50' fenced area (protection from my dog). I've never had any issues with predators. However, we have a trail camera set 100' in the bush and at least a few times/wk we get pictures of coyotes and raccoons.

P.S. Have fun with the goats! Our property is 5 acres but isn't zoned for livestock so I had to settle for chickens instead of goats.

Comment

I was mostly concerned about coyotes. We don't plan on any chickens for that reason. We will be getting goats, but we will be sure to bring them inside a barn at night!
                                    When I was a barn manager (in a different part of the country), the coyotes would slink down from the hillsides at dusk, cut through the paddocks among the horses (neither species seemed to take any notice of the other), and try to find rodent snacks closer to the barn. I lived on a farm where the east coast coy-wolves liked to congregate at night, and even those big boys never pestered the oldsters who lived out in the field. Bring your dogs or cats in before dusk, but you probably don't need to worry about coyotes harming the horses.

Comment

I'm in NC. The horses live outside 24/7 in individual and shared pastures.

The resident family of foxes and deer regularly move through the pastures, including my horse's pasture. Foxes are regularly seen "in person" and in prints in the arena. Coyotes are noted as well and are frequently heard. We generally love these rodent/lagamorph hunters even though we love the rabbits.

None of these predators have ever harmed a horse. I also assume a horse has much of an advantage against "the wildlife" unless you live in remote Western states.
                                      Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Another southern NH person (we are within spitting distance of the coast). My boy lives out 24/7, and there are goats living on the other side of the hill also out 24/7. We do have no climb fencing (mostly because other livestock lives in my boy's pasture and the goat pasture was originally a sheep pasture) and have never had an issue with predators taking anything but chickens.

The coyotes aren't super bold here, and there is plenty of other stuff for them to bother. The foxes will come up and walk around the house and occasionally dig into the chicken coop (the dog has helped stop that one). The deer graze with both the horse and the goats. The rats are super annoying and my dog (and the fox) really wish they could catch the ones in our smaller barn. The porcupines tend not to bother with the no climb fencing. The skunks, however, have made friends with my boy. Fortunately they don't spray him but occasionally he has a faint skunk smell. Woodchucks will be your worst enemy and they are a giant PITA. Again, I am lucky that my dog hunts and kills them.

We do see bears on our property (we abut lots of conservation land) but they mostly keep to themselves and never come over to the pastures.
                                        "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

Working...
                                        X