Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: Human Ingestion of Previcox/Equioxx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PSA: Human Ingestion of Previcox/Equioxx

    So it went something like this (last night, 9PM):

    Me (to DH): Can you take Dobbin his pill? I forgot to take it down with his dinner.
    DH: Sure. Where is it?
    Me: On the counter in the kitchen. Its already in the gumdrop, ready to go.
    DH: Uh Oh!
    Me: Ut Oh? What uh oh?
    DH: I ATE it! OMG!!! I A-T-E it!
    Me: (frantically calling the 24-hour emergency vet)
    Vet: He ate what?
    Me: Equioxx (Previcox) 57mg pill in a gum drop.
    Vet: (a bit of snickering) please hold.
    Vet: Ma'm, we get lots of calls about dogs or cats eating human medications, but not about husbands eating horse medication. He should be fine, but we recommend you call Poison Control to be sure.
    Me: (lookup and call Tennessee Poison Control at Vanderbilt University) Relay story again.
    TPC: He ate what?
    Me: repeat again, spelling medication name
    TPC: (after a long pause) He should be fine. He may get an upset stomach. Tell him to drink a large glass of water and have something bland, like toast or crackers.
    Me: Thank you!
    TPC: You're welcome (he was trying not to laugh, but you could hear the smile in his voice)

    So the moral of the story is, if your husband consumes a 57mg Equioxx pill stuffed in a gum drop, have him drink lots of water and eat some toast. And he'll be fine.
    Last edited by 4LeafCloverFarm; Nov. 2, 2019, 03:08 PM.
    ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

  • #2


    thanks for the laugh that’s awesome!

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by Mouse&Bay View Post

      thanks for the laugh that’s awesome!
      You're welcome. Its one of those stories that causes panic initially, that you can laugh about later!
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

      Comment


      • #4
        That’s really funny, thank you for sharing. Glad he’s okay. A good reason never to eat a random gumdrop off the counter, haha.

        I used to keep raw patties of meat in the fridge for my dogs - and once I was visiting my family, patties made up in the fridge - to find that the person that came to take care of my great grandmother during the day had fixed them up for lunch... And they’d both eaten them. I was rather horrified, as the meat contained ground bone.

        I also once called the pet poison hotline when I accidentally brushed my dogs’ teeth with my toothpaste, instead of theirs, so 🤦*♀️

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by ExpialidociousOTTB View Post
          That’s really funny, thank you for sharing. Glad he’s okay. A good reason never to eat a random gumdrop off the counter, haha.
          Well, yes, you'd think a single gumdrop on the counter would have caused him to pause before popping it in his mouth. He knows that is how we give my senior his pill every night. But alas, his sweet tooth overtook his common sense. You'd have thought he'd have noticed it was, well, crunchy? lol

          And glad those hamburgers didn't cause any issues for your great grandmother and her care giver! That could have been hard to explain to a doctor - they ate the dogs dinner!
          ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post

            Well, yes, you'd think a single gumdrop on the counter would have caused him to pause before popping it in his mouth. He knows that is how we give my senior his pill every night. But alas, his sweet tooth overtook his common sense.
            Lol, gotta admit I probably would have snarfed it down like your husband did if I came across a lone gum drop sitting out 😄

            That's a really good idea for stuffing a small pill in btw. As a bonus to all this, if you need to get your husband to take a pill, you know you can hide it in a gum drop 😂

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by Larbear View Post

              Lol, gotta admit I probably would have snarfed it down like your husband did if I came across a lone gum drop sitting out 😄

              That's a really good idea for stuffing a small pill in btw. As a bonus to all this, if you need to get your husband to take a pill, you know you can hide it in a gum drop 😂


              Well, I tried everything to get him to take the Equioxx - Nutrigrain bars (two flavors), Fig Newtons (two flavors), apple, carrot, banana... promptly turned his nose up at them all after a single sniff. And this is a horse that loves everything and isn't ever picky. Saw the fruit slice gum drops at WalMart and thought I'd give them a try. He luvs them! No issues at all. Bonus is, they are so sticky, you don't have to worry about the pill coming out. Problem solved. Except I have to hide them from my DH, or he will eat them all.
              ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

              Comment


              • #8
                Equioxx was originally called Celebrex, and was a human NSAID. Not sure what the dosage was then, though. Pretty funny, though. Talk about being busted.

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Originally posted by stb View Post
                  Equioxx was originally called Celebrex, and was a human NSAID. Not sure what the dosage was then, though. Pretty funny, though. Talk about being busted.
                  Interesting! I did not know that about Celebrex.
                  ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stb View Post
                    Equioxx was originally called Celebrex, and was a human NSAID. Not sure what the dosage was then, though. Pretty funny, though. Talk about being busted.
                    Not quite. Celebrex is celecoxib, Previcox/Equioxx is firocoxib. Same class, different drugs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by stb View Post
                      Equioxx was originally called Celebrex, and was a human NSAID. Not sure what the dosage was then, though. Pretty funny, though. Talk about being busted.
                      Same class of drugs, but not the same drug. Equioxx is firocoxib while Celebrex is celecoxib.
                      Flickr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So sounds like something my SO would do!!! 😂😂😂😂
                        ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For the OP. I was at wit's end trying to get my old guy to take his Previcox. Finally landed on the Pill Camo from Smartpak. Have to say a gum drop is probably cheaper. Glad that hubby is OK, and probably pain free!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            One evening my elderly dad was fussing over his handful of nightly pills, complaining loudly that one of them was missing. I glanced over just in time to see the missing pill on the floor under his chair, being snorked up by the labrador.

                            So we had to figure out which pill was the one that was missing, what was the dose, and then make a call to find out if I needed to take the dog to the after-hours emergency vet. Had he been a small dog we might have had a problem, but a 75 lb lab could absorb it ok. He did.

                            I keep telling this dog that just because he can swallow a thing doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so. But the dog says that you never know until you try it. I guess a lot of husbands would agree.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
                              So it went something like this (last night, 9PM):

                              Me (to DH): Can you take Dobbin his pill? I forgot to take it down with his dinner.
                              DH: Sure. Where is it?
                              Me: On the counter in the kitchen. Its already in the gumdrop, ready to go.
                              DH: Uh Oh!
                              Me: Ut Oh? What uh oh?
                              DH: I ATE it! OMG!!! I A-T-E it!
                              Me: (frantically calling the 24-hour emergency vet)
                              Vet: He ate what?
                              Me: Equioxx (Previcox) 57mg pill in a gum drop.
                              Vet: (a bit of snickering) please hold.
                              Vet: Ma'm, we get lots of calls about dogs or cats eating human medications, but not about husbands eating horse medication. He should be fine, but we recommend you call Poison Control to be sure.
                              Me: (lookup and call Tennessee Poison Control at Vanderbilt University) Relay story again.
                              TPC: He ate what?
                              Me: repeat again, spelling medication name
                              TPC: (after a long pause) He should be fine. He may get an upset stomach. Tell him to drink a large glass of water and have something bland, like toast or crackers.
                              Me: Thank you!
                              TPC: You're welcome (he was trying not to laugh, but you could hear the smile in his voice)

                              So the moral of the story is, if your husband consumes a 57mg Equioxx pill stuffed in a gum drop, have him drink lots of water and eat some toast. And he'll be fine.
                              Thanks 4L, I needed that! Hope DH has a good stomach.

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by skydy View Post

                                Thanks 4L, I needed that! Hope DH has a good stomach.
                                No ill effects whatsoever. Thank goodness.
                                ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  He's probably feeling fabulous! No aches and pains for him today!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by IFG View Post
                                    Glad that hubby is OK, and probably pain free!
                                    That was my first thought. I bet he felt great! LOL.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      OMG that is totally something my DH would do!!
                                      Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        [QUOTE=furlong47;n10509001]

                                        Same class of drugs, but not the same drug. Equioxx is firocoxib while Celebrex is


                                        Deleted-could not find supporting information
                                        Last edited by kmwines; Nov. 4, 2019, 09:07 AM.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X