Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

THC_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Blanketing: Neck Cover/High Neck vs No Neck Cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanketing: Neck Cover/High Neck vs No Neck Cover

I live in Michigan with pretty intense winters. I have always just blanketed without a neck cover b/c I didn't want to rub my horses' manes (I have ranch horses/reiners with long manes). It's time to buy new blankets and was just curious what other people with long manes would suggest. Does the neck cover help or hinder? And if you do like neck covers, which do you prefer? Detachable, one piece, or just high neck?

I have ALL Rambo's. the ones with detachable neck covers are great. Sometimes I leave them off if not too cold or windy.

My horses love the covers on especially windy nights. No problems with their long manes.
    "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

I have had several Rambos and Amigos with the detachable neck covers and never had a problem with the mane getting rubbed out when using the covers. In fact, I think there was more likely to be some mane breakage when using the blanket without the cover.

Comment

I agree, I think the neck covers don't hurt the mane much at all, except right at the withers where the blanket may do some damage with or without the neck cover.
        I will say, some of the high neck ones don't lay as well, depending on the shoulder build of the horse, and my lease mare has some mane breakage where her high neck meets her mane, which is also further up her neck than it would be if it was a regular blanket.
        I think the detachables are nice, and add versatility to the blankets, my girl is a bit wimpy when it comes to cold, and the neck cover does keep her cozier in the same weight blanket than without a neck cover

Comment

I use Rambo Wugs(high neck), a Rambo or Amigo with detachable neck, and a Rambo with attached neck on my PRE with a long mane. I keep his mane braided, and maybe that helps. I've never had any rubbing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
            I have ALL Rambo's. the ones with detachable neck covers are great. Sometimes I leave them off if not too cold or windy.

My horses love the covers on especially windy nights. No problems with their long manes.
            I've used them for decades with no problems. Worth it.

Comment

I use neck rugs on every blanket and don't have issues with his mane with the exception of one small patch near his withers, and it only happens in March/April when he starts shedding (my theory is his hair is more fragile then?)

They're all detachable, but I rarely take the neck off of his turnout sheet and I never take it off of his turnout blankets.

Comment

Long mane isn't a thing for me, but I've found that the high neck blankets just fit my little Appy mare's conformation better and do a good job of keeping rain/snow from dripping down her neck. YMMV.

Comment

Most of ours wear blankets with detachable neck covers. We have a mix of Schniders and Rambos. My moms two reiners have Schniders with the show coat lining in them. No issue with manes. My mare (pulled mane) loses about 50% of her main by the end of winter so I have resorted to only having the neck on her when its wet out. We have a pony that gets a really sore neck if she wears her neck cover for more than 24 hours. It seems to help if the neck cover is a little bigger around, so when their head is down, the neck cover isnt sitting on their neck.

Dont get mid neck. It WILL rub a spot in the mane.

Comment

Most of the mane rubs I've encountered have been from the high neck style blankets. I use Rambos/Amigos with neck covers and have never had a problem.

Comment

I think it depends a bit on the horse. My arabian mare had a brittle and thin mane: neck covers were fine until they got a little gunky after a few weeks wear, and then the mane hairs would start to break off. My thicker maned lesson horse never has this problem. Meanwhile I have obnoxious geldings who think taking the detachable neck off a blanket is the BEST GAME EVER, so I use a high neck on them and I haven't had any issues with manes being rubbed (Canadian Horsewear). A client lost a lot of her horse's mane using the Weatherbeeta blanket that has a fleecy liner in the neck...I would only go with something sleek/smooth.
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Another yes vote for neck covers (and hoods) from a Reiner......I use neck covers, a few hoods and also slinkies on mine, mixing it up purely because....that’s what I have at the moment 😂 but I like them all. I have a stud whose mane is very fragile and fluffy and wild looking but with a neck cover or slinky on it lays perfectly flat, stays detangled and I have never lost any mane!

Comment

I love my Rambos with detachable neck covers...they actually protect the mane IME. Agree it's gets silky and is all shiny. Mostly, I use them on my guy who was field boarded the past few years for extra protection and warmth. I moved barns in spring and they only have stall board now, so I am not sure how much I will use them this winter. But they are great to have on hand for wind, sleet, and bitter cold when they still get turned out.

Comment

I like detachable neck covers too.. . I use them when we have either wet/snowy weather, as they prevent moisture from dripping down their necks and soaking their shoulders - and also in really cold, windy conditions.
                            I've never actually tried a high-neck - to me it just seems to make more sense to protect the whole neck.. .

Comment

I have both high neck (Rhino Wug style), and detachable full neck blankets of various brands, and I like to rotate them throughout blanketing season. Even the most well-fitted blankets have some degree of pressure points, and I've found that changing them up is really helpful both to keep the mane more intact and for overall comfort.

Just in terms of mane preservation, I find highnecks the best, they seem better about distributing any pressure/friction on the mane. Regular neck blankets I find tend to rub out a portion of the mane at least a little bit just in front of the withers.

Comment

I just completed the switch-over to all high neck blankets because they're easier than dealing with neck covers, provide more coverage than regular blankets, and reduce the chances of having concentrated pressure over the withers, which some people say can damage the nuchal ligament. I have a mixture of SmartPak and Schneider's. I really like the Schneiders due to the shoulder gussets being large and providing lots of shoulder room. The Shires StormBreaker that SmartPak sells also looks like it has nice big shoulder gussets. Planning on getting those for my 3 year old once she decides on her adult size.

Comment

Originally posted by NobleNova View Post
                                  I live in Michigan with pretty intense winters. I have always just blanketed without a neck cover b/c I didn't want to rub my horses' manes (I have ranch horses/reiners with long manes). It's time to buy new blankets and was just curious what other people with long manes would suggest. Does the neck cover help or hinder? And if you do like neck covers, which do you prefer? Detachable, one piece, or just high neck?
                                  My gelding with long, thick hair gets a neck cover when temps are in single digits but that's it. My horses are outside most of the time, and in cold weather moving along with eating helps generate heat. My Arab has a thinner coat in general so she'll get one in single digits and sometimes into the teens depending on the wind. I play it by ear and keep an eye on their warmth.

I'm in northern Ohio

Comment

I added a neck cover to my gelding's blanket last year. Besides keeping him a little warmer, it had two added benefits
                                    1. His mane, which is usually on both sides of his neck, stayed on one side :-)
                                    2. His neck stayed clean. He's a white/grey, with all the poop and pee stains that come with that color.

Comment

I bought mid-neck cover blankets for my gelding, because he spends a lot of time in turnout and our weather is variable. I liked the concept, but it wrecked his mane -- half of it broke off and I ended up roaching his mane because braiding it for dressage became impossible. Made show prep easier and stress-free but wish now I'd gone with a detachable neck for his turnouts. The other problem is, he's a WARMblood and gets qwuite uncomfortable if overdressed -- I thought the half-necks were a good compromise at the time.

Comment

I've created a wardrobe of Horze Avalanche blankets that I really love. My gelding is narrow in front and most of what I've tried over the years was too roomy so his shoulders and chest were getting soaked. These are very adjustable and have a high neck that solved the problems. Everything else went to the area refuge barn.

What turned out to be the best feature is a triangular gusset that rides over the withers so there is no rubbing. He is on pasture board and 25 y.o. so I am blanketing him more than I used to. He has a raincoat, a medium-weight parka, and a regular heavy-weight snowsuit. Last winter I added his medium weight blizzard coveralls with neck cover, an end-of -season bargain for $115. They don't spend that much time in the run-in shed, preferring a wooded patch that is mostly pine trees.
                                        Tussman's law: Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.

"Providence sometimes takes care of idiots." Agnes Morley Cleaveland, No Life for a Lady, 1977.

Comment

Working...
                                        X