Sport Horse Spotlight

Friend Or FoeęBrantGammaPhotos.WC7B1578

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You´┐Żre responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it´┐Żdetails of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums´┐Ż policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it´┐Żs understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users´┐Ż profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses ´┐Ż Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it´┐Żs related to a horse for sale, regardless of who´┐Żs selling it, it doesn´┐Żt belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions ´┐Ż Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services ´┐Ż Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products ´┐Ż While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements ´┐Ż Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be ´┐Żbumped´┐Ż excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues ´┐Ż Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators´┐Ż discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the ´┐Żalert´┐Ż button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your ´┐ŻIgnore´┐Ż list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you´┐Żd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user´┐Żs membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Mystery Lameness: What do you guys see? UPDATE: Tentative Diagnosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    You mentioned she has a somewhat tender lump by one of her hips? So I knew a horse who slipped and fell and chipped off a piece of the point of his hip, injuring all of the soft tissue in that area. The initial lameness was extreme but within a few weeks he was lame in a very specific way. If we hadn't witnessed the injury it would have been an odd one.

So what hurt was actually a particular part of the swinging motion, I think the last little bit of bringing the leg forward and down. He was short but not obviously lame and if you didn't know what you were looking for it could be quite hard to pinpoint where it was. He recovered fine but it took a long time for that little odd step to go away and we had to really work him through it to show him he could use his leg properly again. It took all summer but he is back jumping and everything now.

Moral of the story is muscle and soft tissue in that area can affect the gate in weird ways and can sometimes require work and PT to get them through it. Unlike tendon/ligament or bone damage, muscle pulls and strains will get worse if you don't do anything with them and will only get better if you do the right sort of stretching and movements.
    That's one of the the things on my radar too... I am just worried about doing too much work until I know for sure, in case it's something that needs rest, not work or stretching or anything. There are just so many things it could be, some that might need rest, some that might need work. Makes it really frustrating. If we can at least rule out bone or ligament/tendon, then we can proceed with PT and massage.

Comment

• Original Poster

UPDATE:

Just got home from the vet that was recommended to me, Dr. Wooten. He was much more thorough than the first vet and obviously knew what he was doing.

After lungeing, flexions (better ones than First Vet did), a couple xrays of that right stifle, a nerve block on the stifle which made a HUGE difference (short striding still there but she was obviously moving out extremely better, and this was immediately after the block too), and an ultrasound, the current diagnosis is a torn meniscus.

With the degree of lameness she was showing and how the US looks, he thinks the prognosis is extremely good. He has had good results with PRP so she stayed up there overnight while they get that prepared, and I will go pick her up tomorrow.

Then it will be a month of stall rest/mini paddock if I can get panels to build one, with handwalking every day. She can move, just doesn't need to be cavorting around like a fool. Then back for a checkup in a month.

Here's the thing though: we are really hoping this is it. But, if the month goes by and there is no improvement, there is likely something deeper in the joint going on. So she would need surgery, which I can't afford after these vet bills. I would probably have to put her out to pasture and pray it doesn't get worse while I pay this off. I wish she was insured, but I never knew it was a thing before I sold her and by the time I got her back she was already having issues. Ugh. She could use jingles, hoping this is The Answer and we can get it fixed up.

At any rate, I highly recommend Dr Wooten at the Jaeckle Center in Thompsons Station, TN. He was fantastic with Twi and I was really impressed by him.

Also, if anyone reading this has dealt with a torn meniscus before and knows of anything that might help her heal, please share!

Comment

I can't offer any help, but just want to wish you both well. I hope you see good improvement over the next few weeks!

Comment

Thank you for updating and jingles that this is it.
          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Thanks for the update and praying that this will heal for you. Jingling!

Comment

Super interesting read all through - but mostly wanted to just say thank you RainWeasley for not only taking back your old girl but putting so much time, energy, and $$ into helping her out.

Comment

Thank you for the update -- and glad your vet believes it has a good prognosis.

I had a TB with a torn meniscus. Depending on how severe the tear is, the prognosis can be good or bad. For my gelding, prognosis was not so great. Some things that helped my gelding - FTR, his was quite severe, and he always had a hitch in his get-along even after it was 100% healed.
                - Pentosan / Adequan / Legend
                - 100% no holds barred turnout. If my gelding even saw two hours of stall time he became so sore. Horses with old stifle injuries need to move around, as that joint gets quickly inflamed when not in motion
                - Estrone and hill work the first two months back to work
                - VERY slow return to work. Mine was severe, I took over a year to even canter in the ring
                - Avoid lunging and circles
                - Staying on top of hoof angles and/or shoes behind as well
                - Once healed, stifle injections yearly

Good luck and keep us updated. Glad you guys have some direction now in which to go. Chasing unknown lamenesses is never fun.
                AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Wishing you all the very best. Also, adding my thanks for being such a responsible owner.
                  \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

Only torn meniscus experience I have is human knee, not equine stifle, so I'm afraid I have no insights or advice on that ... But I'm SO glad to hear that you got a diagnosis and are moving forward with treatment. She's lucky to have you looking out for her.

Wishing her a good recovery, and keeping my fingers crossed that this is just the ticket for getting her feeling better.

Comment

• Original Poster

So, the month is up. For several reasons, I'm not able to drive her up to that vet, probably won't be able to for a few months. I chatted with him about our options though, and we decided that she can go ahead and be turned back out. If she was sound, she could be slowly started back into work, otherwise just let her be on pasture rest either until she is looking better or I can get her back up there.

Unfortunately, when I did go to lunge her for a second to see if there was any improvement, while she looked much better, and looks 100% going straight, she still has a bit of a hitch on that right hind. Unclear as to whether it just hasn't fully healed yet or it is something else going on too. So she will be on pasture rest for a bit until I can get her back up there. I might check her again in a week or so in case it was maybe just muscle memory and her thinking she still needed to guard it, or maybe did something that tweaked it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

At any rate, barring her healing while on pasture rest, it will probably be a few months before I have more updates. Thanks to everyone that has been following and offering advice and well wishes, we both really appreciate it!

Comment

• Original Poster

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191125-190118_Video Player.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	10527550

She was, at least, very happy to get to go out finally. She is almost back to her normal weight, could probably stand to lose 50 or so more pounds but with winter here I'm not going to stress much about the last little bit. So beyond the lameness, we are back to healthy!

Comment

Thanks for the update! Crossing fingers she comes 100% sound for you SOON!

Comment

I hope she feels better!

I had a little mare delivered to my new barn, and after a kinda traumatically long trailer ride she was never quite right after. Went through all of the Dx stuff, ruled out legs, maybe thought it was SI, injected that without any improvement.

After poking and prodding the crap out of her, I threw in the vetting towel and retired her to a friend who just wanted something to eat grass with her goats. After 6 months of doing nothing but eating grass, she's right as rain and my friend now has a perfectly healthy top of the line large pony for her kids to learn on - free of charge

Sometimes they can really surprise you!

Comment

• Original Poster

I lunged her for a few minutes a few days ago, and there miiiight still be a bit of a hitch but it's really subtle if it's there. I had another chiro come out wednesday that was recommended to me by a bunch of people and also happens to work closely with the vet that had diagnosed her. He was shocked at how messed up she was. The difference in how she moved right after adjustments was quite frankly amazing. Lunged her for a second again yesterday to see how she looked, about the same, there miiiight be a tiny hitch if I'm really looking for it but I could also be imagining it.

After discussion with the chiro and the vet, we have decided to begin light walking under saddle. I'm going to start with ten minutes at a time for a week, reevaluate and bump up to 15 if she still looks okay, just stick with walking for a while. If it starts looking like its regressing at all, we will stop everything and go back to pasture rest until I can take her back up.

Fingers crossed she stays good!

I thought you guys might enjoy her displays of her athleticism though, she feels much better:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20191125-190233_Video Player.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	10534390

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20191125-190715_Video Player.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	10534391

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20191125-190555_Video Player.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.7 KB ID:	10534392

Comment

I hope she continues to feel good!

Comment

those pictures are great! She's clearly feeling pretty good in her skin!

Love love love all the care and attention you've put into helping this girl come around and feel better.

Comment

Walking is a great way to ease back into work. Sounds like you've got a solid plan and team. And a happy mare! I love your photos -- somehow all of my horse-at-play photography events end up capturing the derpy moments between feats of athleticism, but yours paint a great picture of how frisky she's feeling. May the contentment and improved soundness continue!

Comment

Something to keep in mind. Horses on the verge of laminitis sometimes show lethargy and an I hurt all over body attitude.

Good luck with "slenderella" in the future.
                                      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                      X