Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horses Skin Peeling Off: help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses Skin Peeling Off: help

This horses skin is peeling off everywhere....

Yes she’s been to the vet recently about a month ago. She was a rescue and had some sunburn/rain rot in the same areas but then it completely healed up. Her fur was growing back so beautifully after the worst case of rain rot I had ever seen. Unfortunately it just started to get worse, and within a few days her entire neck and shoulder area’s skin just started all peeling off at once. Any ideas on what it is? I’ll take her to the vet in a few days if it’s something more complicated... but I’d prefer to treat it myself as I’m a bit broke after their vet bills already 😅

Edit: yes she’s underweight, she’s gained 50+ here shortly however she’s still very skinny.
    Attached Files

If that photo is the horses neck and shoulder, with the mane at the top, you need to get your vet out pronto. That's not a simple case of ringworm or a slight case of rubbing because of allergies or a few insect bites... that looks like full on alopecia that is spreading.

I'd immediately call the vet and find out what should be put on the exposed skin, until the vet can get out. Definitely keep her out of direct sunlight or she could get a very bad burn.

Just out of curiosity, have you used any products recently on her coat that you left on (didn't wash off)?
    ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for your advice! Yeah that sounds like the best option....

I figured I’d try here first as it appeared over both sides of her neck all at once a few days ago and didn’t know if it was some summer dry skin thing (hot here in Texas)😅 Although now that I know it’s not something common, it’s time to take her to the vet as you said.

Yes, she had a few medicines and medicated shampoos. (Fungaway, aloe Vera and different shampoos) However it healed up after those. As of very recently, just an anti fungal spray (post rain rot to make sure it was gone) on her neck and back, but only her neck looks like this. Other than that no leave in products.

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
        If that photo is the horses neck and shoulder, with the mane at the top, you need to get your vet out pronto. That's not a simple case of ringworm or a slight case of rubbing because of allergies or a few insect bites... that looks like full on alopecia that is spreading.

I'd immediately call the vet and find out what should be put on the exposed skin, until the vet can get out. Definitely keep her out of direct sunlight or she could get a very bad burn.

Just out of curiosity, have you used any products recently on her coat that you left on (didn't wash off)?
        Agree...this is not an internet diagnosis.

Not normal. Serious vet call needed asap.

Comment

Agree with the need to involve a vet sooner, but will add that I have a mare who has major hair loss - on her face, along her neck, and over her back. This has been going on for years - it improves a bit in the winter when she grows a winter coat, but she is bald in those areas in the summer. It doesn't look as dramatic as yours because she is a chestnut with black skin.

My vet and I have tested and studied and determined it is idiopathic to her - no known cause we can find. So we deal with the symptoms. She is very sensitive to all oil-based fly sprays, so I use only water-based products. She sunburns easily, so she gets SPF 50 creams on her face and wears a UV-resistant sheet if out in the midday sun. She gets hosed with water only, no soaps or shampoos.

One odd thing we have observed over the years is that the regular injections of HA that she gets for her joints seems to improve her hair situation. Not a huge amount, i.e., not back to having a full coat in her bald spots. But there is noticeably more hair in those areas when she gets HA every month and less hair growth if we skip a month or two because her joints seems good at that time.

*star*
          "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
          - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

You've got something going on that now requires a Vet's help.
            For now protect the horse from the sun and insects, if that requires a fly sheet, put one on.
            In the mean time, I would be improving this horse's diet with the highest quality feed I could find.
            No junk food, no cheap filler food, no cheap low nutrition bermuda hay.
            I'd also put this horse on additional supplement to promote hair and skin health. Something w/ biotin, methionine, Vit. A
            Omega Horseshine is a great supplement for skin and hair w/ extra vitamins

Your horse is suffering from long term poor nutrition. You need to build back up the adequate vitamins and minerals for healthy skin and coat.

The vet and healthier food and supplements are going to cost money. Look into
            Care Credit, if you need to, then you can pay it off like a credit card.
            "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Karak - is this horse QH? Or other stock breed..... Is it possible horse has HERDA?

Comment

That is a 'go to the vet now' situation.

Comment

Yup.
                  Long term malnutrition can create things like this even months or even years after the diet improves. Their immune system gets trashed and lord knows what parasites they pick up from long term life in filthy surroundings. Normally the body deals with those but with everything going to staying alive, no fight left for such things.

I would not use any leave in products of any kind and put her in the sun, even healthy horses can suffer burning and hair loss. And she’s no way healthy right now. Investigate the Care Credit, you may have a long year ahead of you with her as her system tries to recover.

Takes time BTW, resist the urge to over feed. Got one in that was a 2 at best and it was 6 months before there was any real improvement in coat quality, skin condition and overall health. He cost me about 3k in extra health care including a 1700 clinic visit ( colic) and 600 in dental work removing badly abscessed teeth and treating a related sinus infection. Long time for the persistent Thrush to clear but that didn’t cost much.

Good luck to you.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank all of y’all for helping me! Taking her to the vet tomorrow and I’m curious to what he has to say. Poor girlie nothing about her has been normal 😂

All of y’all are so knowledgeable, any recommendations on how I can learn more about horse health? I worked at a boarding ranch for a few years but all of our horses stayed very healthy besides a few common problems rarely. So the opposite of rescues 😅

ShotenStar And that’s so rare and interesting! Im glad you were able to find ways to treat your horse 😄
                    Marla 100 Super great advice! Yeah the vet was surprised she was still alive the first time I brought her (right when we got her) she’s suffered a lot from malnutrition.

Yep! She’s on the best (not cheap) feed, drench, two weight gain supplements, along with a good few acres and hay. I’ll get started on one for her hair and skin asap. I agree that would help a lot. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yeah that’s a smart idea 👍 I do have that, it would be easier than scrambling to pay it off cash 😅

Obsidian Fire Firstly, cool username 😄 Secondly, she could be! Her previous owners lost her papers, but her confirmation is very stunning and stocky. I think she was double registered paint and quarter horse, we are just trying to do tests or figure that out now.

. TMares Tomorrow! 100% agree now. The best vet is already full today but she’s headed there ASAP.

findeight Thank you! That makes sense, her overall condition improved amazingly, but when she was first brought to the vet he was surprised she was still alive. Scary as he’s a very experienced vet. Poor girl was about a 1 with horrible skin.

No more products on her skin for a little, got it. I agree, I’ll use the credit for her now 😅

Ah yes that was so hard at first to resist to overfeed the starving horse.

Oh wow! That’s a ton of work, poor horse. I’m so glad you were able to treat all that! 😄

Thank you!

Comment

• Original Poster

Comment

Curious what the vet has to say, but have you wormed her yet? Ivermectin (orally) can clean up external parasites, so dosing her might be a good idea, in case this is related to lice or mites or something along those lines.

Comment

Hopefully your vet will be able to help solve your problem
                          i thought it worth mentioning, however, that some plants can cause extreme photosensitivity in horses and it might be worth checking your pasture for them.
                          Look for ragwort, St Johns Wort, buckwheat and red and alsike clovers. Liver damage from eating too much of those plants can also cause it.
                          The result is severe sunburn that in horses (and cattle) that might not be noticed, on areas that are covered in hair and aren’t pink skinned, until the skin peels off.

Comment

• Original Poster

Simkie Yes she’s been wormed recently, twice actually about two months ago. (Former owners wormed her with two separate ones close together)

Me too I’m so curious now 🤔

Comment

• Original Poster

AllHorse

Thats what I thought it could be: extreme photosensitivity.

It could be that most likely, but I don’t know how she would have gotten it and why it would target her neck and shoulders.

I didn't see any in our pasture but I’ll do a better check again. As she was starved previously she eats about anything so it wouldn’t be surprising.

Hmmm but that would explain why it became so oddly bad so fast 🤔 and the peeling is similair to extreme cases of it..

thanks for the advice!

Comment

We aren’t that smart, we know because we went through these things with horses we owned or were around. That’s how you really learn, reading up helps with general knowledge. Thngs like browsing horse magazines at the tack/feed store or online can be very helpful in learning the basics about common problems, and g
                                they aren’t boring.. Just remember they are ad supported so don’t get swayed by fancy ads for things that are unresearched you don’t really need or feel bad because a barnmafe feeds 15 supplements and you only feed 2. Common sense.
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post
                                  Karak - is this horse QH? Or other stock breed..... Is it possible horse has HERDA?
                                  I expect your vet has followed on this, right, to be sure that is not at play here?

Comment

Originally posted by Karak View Post
                                    AllHorse

It could be that most likely, but I don’t know how she would have gotten it and why it would target her neck and shoulders.

I didn't see any in our pasture but I’ll do a better check again. As she was starved previously she eats about anything so it wouldn’t be surprising.

Hmmm but that would explain why it became so oddly bad so fast 🤔 and the peeling is similair to extreme cases of it..

thanks for the advice!
                                    If the horse has a history of neglect it could have liver damage from eating ragwort over a long period of time, it’s a cumulative poison. It might have little very damage caused by something else, either way there could be resulting photosensitivity.
                                    Thats something for your vet to look into.
                                    Meanwhile you should protect the affected areas ‘just in case’, try a UV fly sheet.

Comment

AllHorse

thanks for the advice!
                                      If the horse has a history of neglect it could have liver damage from eating ragwort over a long period of time, it’s a cumulative poison. It might have damage caused by something else, either way there could be resulting photosensitivity.
                                      Meanwhile you should protect the affected areas ‘just in case’, try a UV fly sheet.

Comment

AllHorse

thanks for the advice!
                                        If the horse has a history of neglect it could have liver damage from eating ragwort over a long period of time, it’s a cumulative poison. It might have damage caused by something else, either way there could be resulting photosensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                        X