Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Update: Pathology is back. Horse had hemangiosarcoma.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Pathology is back. Horse had hemangiosarcoma.

Yesterday afternoon something wasn't right with my old man, who is somewhere around 25. He wasn't eating, running a low grade fever, pawing, no gut sounds, generally just feeling shitty, and his TPR was off. So I gave him the 500 lb dosage of banamine and called the vet. She came out--by then his TPR was normal, he was a little depressed, interested in nibbling some grass. The day before she had come out and we had a senior blood panel run because he hasn't been himself lately, his liver enzymes were high so she suspected he had hepatitis and put him on some SMZs. He was looking better so she said to monitor at home and call if he got worse.

Around 9 PM he started pawing and trying to roll, pacing around, frantically flank watching, we called her and asked her what to do. She said he needed to be seen, I offered to bring him to the clinic since it's just down the street--she was happy with this since she lives there.

So we loaded him up and brought him over. Did I mention I'm pretty nervous generally loading horses into trailers? Yeah. So I had to load my sick, frantic, thrashing 25 year old horse into my stock trailer. This went off without a hitch though, he hopped right on and stayed where I put him by some unholy miracle.

On the way over he pooped, but still didn't look great--she did a rectal and there were some concerning tight areas but no reflux when she tubed him so she gave him several gallons of water.

I left him there and we went home, mostly because I was frantic and felt better with him being at the vets and on fluids for the night, even though by then he looked much better.

As of this morning he's passed several poop piles and is eating small amounts again so it looks as if he will survive this ordeal. But I went six years without a colic! I suppose I got lucky this time. He should be going home this afternoon.
    Last edited by dungrulla; Sep. 6, 2019, 10:12 AM.

You know, no one knows your horse better than you and you've always got to go with your gut. My beloved horse Cappy had 2 colic episodes, one of which he had a 10% chance of surviving and he did! Just make sure that he always drinks LOTS of water and I would also give him alfalfa cubes that were soaked with lots of water twice a day. To this day, it still amazes me that such a big and powerful animal can also be so fragile. I'm so happy he's doing better

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by So Southern View Post
      You know, no one knows your horse better than you and you've always got to go with your gut. My beloved horse Cappy had 2 colic episodes, one of which he had a 10% chance of surviving and he did! Just make sure that he always drinks LOTS of water and I would also give him alfalfa cubes that were soaked with lots of water twice a day. To this day, it still amazes me that such a big and powerful animal can also be so fragile. I'm so happy he's doing better
      I soak everyone's food Old man is on alfalfa cubes. The other horses get whatever they're eating mixed with large amounts of water, except my TB because he's a picky asshole and won't eat grain if it's wet. It was just one of those things unfortunately.

Comment

You can also try adding Lite Salt - 50% potassium chloride, so less sodium - to dry (or soaked) feed to encourage drinking.
        This is 30+yo advice from my vet when my TB colicked, He ended up requiring surgery to resolve a bad gas colic.
        That was my first - personal - experience with colic, talk about Trial by Fire....
        And ask your vet about providing you with a vial of Banamine (or the similar Prevail/flunixin megalumin) and small - 10cc - needles/syringes to dose sub-lingual. Just load syringe, remove needle & squirt under their tongue.
        It acts as quickly as an injection, no 20min of sweating it out waiting for paste to kick in.

Glad your OldGuy is better.
        If only they could puke....
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
          You can also try adding Lite Salt - 50% potassium chloride, so less sodium - to dry (or soaked) feed to encourage drinking.
          This is 30+yo advice from my vet when my TB colicked, He ended up requiring surgery to resolve a bad gas colic.
          That was my first - personal - experience with colic, talk about Trial by Fire....
          And ask your vet about providing you with a vial of Banamine (or the similar Prevail/flunixin megalumin) and small - 10cc - needles/syringes to dose sub-lingual. Just load syringe, remove needle & squirt under their tongue.
          It acts as quickly as an injection, no 20min of sweating it out waiting for paste to kick in.

Glad your OldGuy is better.
          If only they could puke....
          LMAO we do salt too. I'm big on colic prevention. We use redmond rock though because it also seems to help old guy's poops stay solid. I can ask about the sublingual banamine. I guess it just goes to show horses will find ways to kill themselves no matter how hard you try to thwart those efforts.

He just came home this morning. I turned him out with one of his pasture mates and put the other two in an adjacent pasture. His friend is kicking and squealing and bucking but not bothering old guy, whose biggest concern seems to be the big wet moldy pile of hay we won't let him eat since that pasture has been out of use for a couple weeks (we removed it).
          Last edited by dungrulla; Sep. 6, 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungrulla View Post
            biggest concern seems to be the big wet moldy pile of hay we won't let him eat since that pasture has been out of use for a couple weeks (we removed it).
            You so MEAN!
            That moldy crap would be just perfect for starting a good gas colic. Spoilsport

Do try to get the sub-lingual stuff.
            Does not require refrigeration, keeps quite a long time. My 50mg vial - $36 from my vet - is good for a year ("best used by" date), but should be effective past that date.
            Saves you a lot of gray hair
            Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

You so MEAN!
              That moldy crap would be just perfect for starting a good gas colic. Spoilsport
              Ugh don't jinx me lmao. he managed to get a couple mouthfuls before husband caught him and cleaned it up...it was hidden in a back corner and we forgot it was there. Sigh.

Comment

They sure know how to age us prematurely

Recalling the Winter I came home to barn service door open, grain bin (TG nearly empty at the time) overturned & evidence of obvious Horse Frat Party in the aisle.
                Spent the evening freezing my a** off in the barn, watching horses stand in snow, hoping it was not to stave off laminitis....
                Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

What a relief your horse is ok! I've only dealt with two very minor colics and remember them well. I was taught first line of attack next to banamine is a trailer ride around the block. The trailer ride worked like a charm for the one horse who didn't resolve immediately with banamine. Glad it worked for your horse, too!

Comment

• Original Poster

He was still not acting 100% normal, probably because of the flies which he hates, but it was scaring my husband so we stuck him back on the trailer and counted to 10. He pooped, then ate the small mash he had been provided (which he was already in the process of eating when my husband declared he hadn't pooped in three hours).

Comment

He was still not acting 100% normal, probably because of the flies which he hates, but it was scaring my husband so we stuck him back on the trailer and counted to 10. He pooped, then ate the small mash he had been provided (which he was already in the process of eating when my husband declared he hadn't pooped in three hours).
                      Colic is pretty stressful for them, especially when they are older. He may act somewhat off for several days.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by candyappy View Post

Colic is pretty stressful for them, especially when they are older. He may act somewhat off for several days.
                        My husband saw him biting at his flank (which he was doing because of the horseflies) and decided he must be dying Last night he was doing it inside an air-conditioned building with no insects, which is a different matter.

The affected horse is really HIS horse at this point so he's been out every half hour or so offering him another little handful of soaked hay, or some timothy pellets. The vet said small, frequent meals and he's taking it to the extreme, which isn't a bad thing.

Comment

My husband saw him biting at his flank (which he was doing because of the horseflies) and decided he must be dying

The affected horse is really HIS horse at this point so he's been out every half hour or so offering him another little handful of soaked hay, or some timothy pellets. The vet said small, frequent meals and he's taking it to the extreme, which isn't a bad thing.
                          Not a bad thing at all!

Comment

I <3 your DH.

My TB once bit a chunk out of DH's TWH's lower lip. No blood, but I snipped off the piece so it wouldn't snag & tear further.
                            I saw tears in Tom's eyes.
                            Gotta love a softhearted man
                            Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: went to check on the old man. He barged past me to get into the arena then ran around evading our attempts to catch him for over twenty minutes. He then took a gigantic shit and paused forlornly at the gate to the back field.

When told "no, you were just in the hospital trying to die of colic, you may not go graze all night long", he began trying to eat random weeds over the arena fence instead. This was quickly stopped. Horses are like, so dumb.

He is in the round pen with a sad looking soaked bag of hay, what was left of his boring dinner that he wouldn't have normally eaten anyway, and large amounts of water. If he wants to be outside he can be out there since walking around is gonna help more than hurt.

Comment

With the elevated liver enzymes, you may want to look into taking him off of the alfalfa cubes, or switching to straight timothy cubes. With a compromised liver it can be very helpful to cut back on feed with high protein/fat content to reduce the livers workload so it can focus on healing!

My gelding recently had a scary bout of hepatitis, which initially presented with him acting a little quieter than usual, colic and elevated liver enzymes (and eventually neurological symptoms.) He spent about a month on IV fluids and antibiotics to get him through the worst part, but the most important thing we found in his recovery was changing his diet to be as “liver friendly” as possible!

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: While I was traveling internationally, old man got sick again

My husband deserves a medal for dealing with it, since it was really as I said his horse. The vet at this point is very suspicious he has liver cancer as he is not responding like we would have liked to antibiotics. Right now he's comfortable on banamine twice a day, and is back eating and drinking.

We're doing an ultrasound next week to rule out a visible tumor. In order to get a biopsy done we'd need to travel 3.5 hours to Cornell, which I'm not going to subject the old man to, especially since it would only be to get bad news or no news.

I'm going to give him until the weather changes to turn the corner if his ultrasound is clear.

Comment

I'm sorry you and your husband are having to deal with this. When our horses start getting up in years, things start going wrong and it is no fun dealing with it, and seeing them suffer. I hope your sweet horse recovers from this.
                                    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
                                      I'm sorry you and your husband are having to deal with this. When our horses start getting up in years, things start going wrong and it is no fun dealing with it, and seeing them suffer. I hope your sweet horse recovers from this.
                                      Thanks. Right now he's comfortable. That doesn't mean that he's magically better but it does mean we're effectively controlling his pain. He's getting the 250 lb dose of banamine twice a day per the vet.

We planted one of our one-acre pastures with oats, with the goal of letting them grow then winter kill and resting that pasture until springtime. Well, old man thinks oatgrass is super tasty, and it's apparently a pretty good food for horses with liver issues, so we've been letting him graze on it for an hour or two a day and are slowly upping (that pasture is very lush). I'm talking to the vet about switching him from his senior feed to oatmeal, since that's what he got for dinner last night and he gobbled it down.

I WILL NOT keep him around regardless of pain control effectiveness if he has cancer, and if he doesn't turn around before the winter really hits I'll let him go. He's had a good long life, and while I hope he gets better, I won't allow him to suffer.

Comment

I am sorry to hear the latest dungrulla.

Comment

Working...
                                        X