Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

untitled (115 of 123)-Edit
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Suggestions for treating/preventing Spits/cuts at the corner of the mouth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for treating/preventing Spits/cuts at the corner of the mouth?

After a show a couple of weeks ago I noticed a nasty cut on the corner of my horse's lips, I know it wasn't present at the show because i would have noticed when bridling him, as i noticed while simply removing his fly mask at night. The next morning on closer inspection i noticed inside his lip/cheek area there was even an ulcer type sore. He was eating fine and since i wasn't riding him again for several days i just kept an eye on it.
    It seemed fine and all healed by the weekend so i rode him in his regular eco pure french link dee ring. And i could tell by the end of the ride that he must have split it again, because he got really fussy on that side of the bit. (lett side).
    Sure enough it was split again at the corner, but not really visible from the outside, the sore/ulcer is gone.

So i started riding him in a hackamore, and was pleasantly surprised.. but would like the extra bit of control i get from a bit. so last weekend with no visible signs of a split i rode again in a happy mouth full cheek. another bit he likes and never has trouble with. This time he seemed fine the whole ride, but the next day i checked and a split again.. not horrible, but enough that i know I can't ride with a bit.
    Clearly I will be riding in the hackamore for a while.. and will have to have crunch time this weekend as we have a show next weekend and we will need to get our communication down before then... but what could be causing this? It seems all of a sudden and I haven't changed anything and its only on one side of his mouth.. he teeth seem fine and I will have the Dentist look at them when he out next, but i just am puzzled as what could be causing it.
    I'm planning on starting to put vaseline or some A &D ointment until i can order some bit butter or something similar designed for this area... and the other day i broke down and just sprayed some alumishield on it... he wasn't happy but i figured it could help it have chance to heal, as it works well on his other cuts and scraps.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful. thanks

Corona https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/co...se-ointment-18
    Mr. Sandman
    sand me a man
    make him so sandy
    the sandiest man

Comment

Have you actually measured his mouth for width?

I see splits, rubs, mostly when bits are the wrong size. Bit sides rub the horse, sore him while you ride when using the reins and applying pressure to the bit.

I measure using a new pencil. Lay it across his tongue with one end even with his lip on one side, then pinch or mark the other pencil end even with lip on that side. Remove the pencil from his mouth and measure to learn his correct width.

When buying a bit, that mouth measurement needs to be INSIDE the bit sides so horse has the full mouthpiece size he needs.

Doing 4H, Pony Club, we often found horses wearing bits way too small. Owner bought "a pony bit" or small horse bit "because he has a refined head". They were guessing or buying "average sizes" with no idea of the animal's correct size for a good fitting bit. Measuring mouths as described above, was a real eye opener to them! Bits were an inch to an inch and a half too small. Amazing how many issues disappeared with a new, correctly sized bit! My young horses usually start training wearing 5 1/2 inch bits, but will mature into 6 inch bits. They are large horses, but even the smaller mare at 16h, needs a 6 inch bit. Breeding is similar, they have wide jaws.

Height of an animal has nothing to do with mouth width. Many of the larger pony breeds, Fjord, Haflinger, crossbreds, will need a wide bit. Maybe even a 6 inch one, to be correctly fitted. My old 12.2h Welsh pony cross wore a 5 inch bit, not a pony bit size. She " looked" refined but the measuring pencil said 5 inch width so she was not getting pinched or rubbing on her teeth.

I will second Corona on the lip sores for healing.

Comment

I Third Corona - great stuff.
        If you can't find it, Udder Butter (a Corona product) is good too, just a little looser ointment.

A thought:
        Does your horse have fleshy lips?
        DH's TWH did, and a loosering pinched those lips, causing small cuts.
        We switched him to an eggbutt and no more pinchmarks.
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Effol mouth butter (tasty)
          Stubben goldwings bit

Comment

Ditto goodhors suggestion to double check the size bit you are using, just to make sure its accurate.

However, if you've been riding for some time with no issues with either bit (like a year or so), I might be inclined to think that perhaps he has a sharp ridge on a tooth that the inside of the lip may be snagging on. So if he hasn't had a dental check in a while, you might want to have his teeth checked.

And while I've never had this happen personally - really inspect closely the side of the bit where the mouth issue occurs. Are there any imperfections in the bit surface or is it perfectly smooth and uniform? Because happy mouth and other softer bits can develop small tears or ridges or other imperfections with use, that can cause mouth/tongue issues. Use a magnifying glass if need be to make sure the bit is OK.
            ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Also, Lysine.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry to have been MIA for so long. Crazy work week and trying to get hay up as well.
                Thank for all The suggestions. I will definitely double check the sizing but he had been happily using the bits for some time and this seems to be a new problem. The equine density will have a looks at him this week. But he was just done in March, but he may need something done. My retired gelding needed his teeth done every 6 months but he was a bad parrot mouth and this guy doesn’t seem to have any mouth abnormalities.

I will keep everyone updated. If I find out anything from the dentist. He is doing pretty good in a hackamore, but I don’t really have a whoa when he gets going super fast which sometimes he gets excited when. Are having a great jumper round.

Comment

I have had an equine dentist suggest glycerin to me as well. You could always try to put that at the corners of each side of the bit. It helps with the bit "sliding" a bit at the corners of the mouth. I used to flavour mine with grape and they loved it since glycerin is already a bit sweet

Comment

If you are using a loose ring snaffle, check the edges of the mouthpiece where the rings go through. Over time they can wear and become sharp. Also, the holes can become enlarged and actually pinch a bit of flesh.... I recently replaced a bit for this same reason... and I noticed it because of a slight rub on the corner of his mouth.

Comment

• Original Poster

lorilu I’ve been using either his French link eco pure Dee ring or his French link baucher. He hates a loose ring. Waaay too much movement for him. The dentist is gonna look at him tomorrow and hopefully help. Thankfully I’ve been working on riding him in a mechanical hackamore and he has been doing really good. Forcing me to ride off my leg and seatbelt so win win in that respect. But I don’t want him to be in pain if it is his teeth. He tries so hard and really is such a good boy.

Comment

My horse dentist suggests using Tincture of Mhur (sp?) or Preparation H. He also said rubber bits can actually tear the mouth more.

Comment

Tincture of Myrrh-

Comment

• Original Poster

Atlas Shrugged interesting. so far it seems to be healing well as long as i don't use a bit.. he has been doing very well in his hackamore.
                            the equine dentist said his teeth look good but that he does seem to be extra fleshy inside near the corners of the mouth.

We are starting to think that at the last show when i adjusted the noseband slightly higher, and tightened the flash ( not overly tight just tighter than i usually ride with normally i ride with it so lose my trainer doesn't see the point.. she adjusted it to the 2 fingers tightness and I'm wondering if it was just enough of a change to cause him to bit his lip/cheek and then split the corner.)
                            still so weird to me that its only one side and not both, which leads me to believe that its not necessarily the bit but possible now the noseband. i just want him to be happy, so for now we will use the simple mechanical hackamore.. I do have some Bit Butter on hold at the tack trailer that will be at the show this weekend. so even if he isn't using a bit i want to try it as he can sometimes wiggle his tongue around when he is anxious. though he hasn't been doing it now that we are in the hackamore.

Comment

So did you actually measure his mouth for size? He may need a larger size mouthpiece to allow room for fleshy lips, now that Dentist says it is not his teeth.

With it being a one-sided rub, I am going to say "rider hands" is a part of the problem. Hands can be a body issue, sitting harder on one side, harder pull on one rein, uneven stirrups. Have you ever removed stirrup leathers, compared them to see if the left (mounting side) has stretched further than the right side leather?

Noseband being slightly tighter could be a little part of the issue, but he has other stuff going on that I would try fixing first.

Comment

I've used bodyglide for a SUPER sensitive skinned horse who got rubs from everything (e.g., bits, fly masks, spurs, and even spurless legs!)

Comment

• Original Poster

yes I've confirmed the bit size, its not an issue, and I've found him to be happier inn a thinner mouthpiece. Which is why is use the Eco-Pure rubber bits as they aren't as bit and bulky and he doesn't chew them as much as he does a traditional hard rubber mouth piece... I also will wrap the regular metal bits like his french link baucher in sealtex which he seems to like. While he doesn't chew it as much as a hard rubber bit, I do stay on top of it in regards to changing out the sealtex when it starts to get worn or breaks down.
                                  And i will admit i am weaker on my left side which is due to basically having a whole bad left side ( born with corrected his displacia, desolated the left knee twice, knee surgery to try to stop dislocations, acute ankle sprain, and then last year broke my 5 th metatarsal). so i do my best to get into the Chiro and stretch myself as well as have him checked, I also do work on his trigger points before and sometimes after each ride, and of course make sure he is being shod correctly.. I am having the saddle fitter meet me at the show tomorrow and I think there is some room for improvement there, But it would really be more a tweaking of the flocking than a huge major adjustment.
                                  I'm sure my hands could be better,,, but it just seems weird to me that its is all of a sudden. maybe he was just trying to tell me he is happiest in a hackamore. He always was fussy in a bit, so maybe i just wasn't listening and he figured out a way to make it easier for me to comprehend.

Comment

Working...
                                  X