Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Front cover shot
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Possible blood parasite(tick related) or lymphoma?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible blood parasite(tick related) or lymphoma?

Hi COTHers, bare with me please, it’s a long story. My horse, Bruno, is a rescue off the feedlot and estimated at about thirteen years old. I’ve never had any problem with him up until now. Six days ago he went off his water and I assumed he was colicking. I called the vet out right away to tube him. Two days later, I thought he was getting better but then reverted. Had another emergency vet come out to tube and this time pull blood. Blood work came back normal. This vet was out on 08/12/2019. I got his bloodwork back and was told it was normal. I did as directed and took him temperature rectally throughout the day which he would spike random fevers but banamine got the first one of 103 down to 101. Later on last night I took his temp again and it was 106. Loaded him up and off to Pilchuck he went. When he arrived, they pulled blood work. Blood work came back normal except for a white blood cell count of 2.2. Mind you, when the vet pulled blood 24 hours previously, his white cell blood count was 5.2. Dramatic difference. When palpitated, his spleen was extremely enlarged to the point it is four inches over on the other side of his body. They went and did a stomach tap which only got back blood. He was spiking fevers up until this morning when administered tetracycline via IV. Since then his fever has gone away. The vet told me the possibilities are endless, but he’s betting on either blood parasite or possible lymphoma with how drastically he took a turn for the worse and the size of his spleen. Although, the tetracycline has seemed to made a big improvement, I wanted more ideas of what others think this could be or those who have went through the same ordeal and what the outcome was. I won’t know until tomorrow whether or not he gets to come home after his second dose of tetracycline. Thank you in advance, any advice is appreciated. :/

If the tet made such a drastic difference, I'd be going with anaplasmosis or similar. I have no idea if that can affect the spleen. I can tell you when my cat was diagnosed with small cell intestinal lymphoma, there was no fever - NO idea if that's relatable or not.

Blood work normal, in the face of symptoms, and then abnormal, is easily explained by the first draws being before the body fully mounted an attack.

Hopefully a tick panel is being run

Comment

Sounds like anaplasmosis to me, although I've never heard of a stomach tap bringing up blood. That is concerning.

Be prepared that a tick panel is likely to be negative. Around here they don't even always test because a false negative is so common.

I've had several horses treated for anaplasmosis with IV oxytet -- usually followed by 10 days of doxycycline. Be sure to ask your vet about follow up treatment if they suspect tickborne illness.

Comment

A tick panel can easily be negative if the blood was drawn too soon after infection. But if it's drawn at or after the current low WBC, I would much more expect the antibodies to be in enough circulation to show up.

But since there's such an improvement after just 1 dose of tet, I would definitely continue full treatment, and assume it's a tick-something.

Comment

• Original Poster

That’s our game plan as right now. I’m still at loss about his abnormally enlarged spleen and am not too sure what to do about that or his refusal to drink water. He’s coming home today not feeling 100% but good enough to where there’s hope he’ll continue to improve. No fever as of yet.

Comment

My anaplasmosis guy wasn't keen on drinking either, despite a 107* temp I made alfalfa "tea" - a cup or so alf pellets in a 5 gallon bucket, all sloshed around, and he loved that. You can add a glug of molasses too, or whatever does the trick -apple juice, crushed peppermint, gatorade, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Chaoticchronicles View Post
              That’s our game plan as right now. I’m still at loss about his abnormally enlarged spleen and am not too sure what to do about that or his refusal to drink water. He’s coming home today not feeling 100% but good enough to where there’s hope he’ll continue to improve. No fever as of yet.
              Well, he probably feels like crap, that's why. Anaplasmosis is nasty and one dose of IV oxytet isn't necessarily enough yet to make him feel normal. I'm surprised they are letting you take him home already. I had one that needed 4 doses before she turned around - and the fear is dehydration and then colic. (The other only needed 2). Keep a close eye on him.

Comment

• Original Poster

He has had two doses already at the hospital, my vet closer by will continue give him the rest of his doses along with banamine, my question is how long does it normally take for an enlarged spleen to go back down to normal? He was brought home last night and seems much better, his water consumption is finally decent and he’s eager to eat, but his spleen is so heavy he has to lay down often or else he’s uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                X