Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

untitled (115 of 123)-Edit
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Thoughts on feet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on feet

Hello all,

I am looking for some input on these feet. I have used the same farrier for 6+ years for this horse. The past 3 years the horse has been barefoot and, while he didn't have a ton of foot, he stayed in balance, sound, and the feet looked well. He has now had 4 rounds of shoes, I think (IIRC, we put shoes back on in April). These pics were taken today, he is at 4.5 weeks. I feel like the feet do not look great. To me, the toes are incredibly long and the heels are running forward. When I look at the bottom of the feet, there seems to be a lot of toe in front of the point of the frog. He has upright conformation but I feel like the angle of the feet have maybe even begun to change the alignment of the pasterns. He also trips constantly up front, which is new since shoes. BUT I am not an expert and don't want to cause a stink over nothing. I like my farrier and I don't know other good ones in my area (but surely there are, it is very horsey). I would love input from you more seasoned feet people. I am hoping to get the farrier out this week but maybe next, and if there is something up, I'd love some direction on what to say to him. He does not take criticism well, but I don't really want to criticize, I just want to understand the feet and how to make them the best they can be.

Thanks in advance!
    LF RF LF
    Last edited by firefoot; Aug. 5, 2019, 12:41 PM.

Can you get a shot of the horse standing square showing all 4 feet? Or at least shots of both fronts and both backs together for comparison purposes? Hard to look at just a single foot.

Offhand, shoe looks a little short under the heels on the side shot. On the bottom of the foot shots, one shoe appears ok at the heel, the other not so much.

But Im no guru. Have learned if you are unhappy with a farriers work? You are wasting your breath questioning said work.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
      Can you get a shot of the horse standing square showing all 4 feet? Or at least shots of both fronts and both backs together for comparison purposes? Hard to look at just a single foot.

Offhand, shoe looks a little short under the heels on the side shot. On the bottom of the foot shots, one shoe appears ok at the heel, the other not so much.

But Im no guru. Have learned if you are unhappy with a farriers work? You are wasting your breath questioning said work.
      I will try to get better pictures today. These pictures attached are from just after the last shoeing in July (he's a little downhill there) and then a shot from December for reference. He is a big horse and he needs enough foot to support him, I just feel like the feet could be better.

Comment

Yeah, the heels are running forward.

Why did you make the decision to put on shoes? Do you need shoes for your discipline? These shoes look a bit wider than normal, but I don't think they are actual slider shoes?

If your horse is tripping, something is wrong. I would as an experiment, get another farrier, take off the shoes, get a really good barefoot trim that corrects heels and toes (might take a couple trim cycles), use boots for trail riding, and see where you are in a few months.

The tripping could be related to hoof balance or it could be some other problem in the front end. Any such problem brewing such as navicular can only be helped by correcting the trim, and made worse by allowing the balance to deteriorate. So fixing hoof balance is the first step. If the tripping continues, involve a vet and get rads.

So yeah, I'd get a new farrier. I am lucky in that I can collaborate with my trimmer who trusts my eye and sense of how the horse is moving. I can't imagine using any service provider, farrier vet or body worker or saddle fitter, that didn't collaborate with me. That said, you also need to self-educate so that you know what you are seeing, and are confident in your assessment and questions. I would suggest going to the better barefoot sites (Pete Ramey for starters) because even if you end up putting shoes back on, the barefoot folks have the most nuanced understanding of hoof balance and angles because it is so important to being sound barefoot.

Comment

Originally posted by firefoot View Post
          Hello all,

I feel like the feet do not look great. To me, the toes are incredibly long and the heels are running forward. When I look at the bottom of the feet, there seems to be a lot of toe in front of the point of the frog. He has upright conformation but I feel like the angle of the feet have maybe even begun to change the alignment of the pasterns. He also trips constantly up front, which is new since shoes. BUT I am not an expert and don't want to cause a stink over nothing.
          Toes look really long and heels underrun to me. He's probably tripping because his toes are so long (imho). I wouldn't say it's making a stink over nothing, if my horse's feet were long like that and underrun I wouldn't be happy about it. When do you plan on having the farrier back?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
            Yeah, the heels are running forward.

Why did you make the decision to put on shoes? Do you need shoes for your discipline? These shoes look a bit wider than normal, but I don't think they are actual slider shoes?

If your horse is tripping, something is wrong. I would as an experiment, get another farrier, take off the shoes, get a really good barefoot trim that corrects heels and toes (might take a couple trim cycles), use boots for trail riding, and see where you are in a few months.

The tripping could be related to hoof balance or it could be some other problem in the front end. Any such problem brewing such as navicular can only be helped by correcting the trim, and made worse by allowing the balance to deteriorate. So fixing hoof balance is the first step. If the tripping continues, involve a vet and get rads.

So yeah, I'd get a new farrier. I am lucky in that I can collaborate with my trimmer who trusts my eye and sense of how the horse is moving. I can't imagine using any service provider, farrier vet or body worker or saddle fitter, that didn't collaborate with me. That said, you also need to self-educate so that you know what you are seeing, and are confident in your assessment and questions. I would suggest going to the better barefoot sites (Pete Ramey for starters) because even if you end up putting shoes back on, the barefoot folks have the most nuanced understanding of hoof balance and angles because it is so important to being sound barefoot.
            I put shoes on because, while he was fine enough for the field barefoot, he is much more comfortable in shoes. Without them, he just didn't have enough foot between him and the ground for things like rocky/gravely terrain. Especially the frozen mud in the winter, that was especially difficult. Plus we have been riding much more the last year (I've known the horse for 6 years, he's been mine for 3 and for the first 18 months of those 3 years, he was off work for a suspensory). Even though the trim isn't great, he moves much better and genuinely more comfortable with shoes, so I don't think I'll pull them.

My gut says the tripping is because of the long toe. I agree about fixing the trim and then going from there.

And thanks, I will look up Pete Ramey!

Comment

Those toes look painfully long to me

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Larbear View Post

Toes look really long and heels underrun to me. He's probably tripping because his toes are so long (imho). I wouldn't say it's making a stink over nothing, if my horse's feet were long like that and underrun I wouldn't be happy about it. When do you plan on having the farrier back?
                I agree, the toes look SO long. That is why I think he is tripping, also. Hoping to have the farrier out this week. Maybe it's the poor trim, but the past few cycles I've felt like he's really on a 5 week schedule and the farrier prefers 6 weeks for his own schedule, which is frustrating.

Last time he was out, he was bitching about someone we know being unhappy with his work and saying they complained the toes were too long and heels underrun. He kind of went off about it, saying people who say that (long toes/underrun heels) don't know what they're talking about, and that really stood out to me as I was already starting to be concerned about the feet. For the record, I really like this guy and he turned some gnarly feet around in the past. But with this horse this time, I feel like it could be much much better and his comments last time make me feel like talking to him about it won't go that well.

Comment

I think it's SO important to have a farrier that:
                  1) doesn't bitch about other people or other horses in front of you
                  2) listens to your concerns
                  3) takes those concerns seriously

I liked my old farrier well enough as a person. But he was also on the whatever schedule he wanted, trimming my horse however he wanted, and didn't take my concerns seriously.

New farrier -- horse is now much happier.

Sometimes it's easier to just find a new farrier and start with a blank slate. I think we'd all agree those feet shouldn't look like that at 4.5 weeks.

Comment

Contracted Heels
                    Long toes/under-run heels
                    Negative Palmar Angle

It can be fixed. I've done it: https://www.facebook.com/ChocoMare/m...3456046&type=3
                    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

As stated several times, the toes are quite long and the heels pretty underrun.

On one hand, it's hard to accurately judge work when the feet are at the end of a cycle. However, in this case, it's clear the toes have been too long, for too long, as that flare goes all the way up the foot. And the heels and heel bulbs show long-term contracture.

If this farrier had worked on these feet 1-2 times, it could be suggested that the trim cycles were too long to get ahead of the length

But 6 years? These feet should not look like this, not even at the end of a cycle.

And given the above, I would strongly suspect that the very reason he wasn't comfortable barefoot was because of the trim, and shoes have only bandaided the discomfort. They won't fix it.

Comment

....Even though the trim isn't great, he moves much better and genuinely more comfortable with shoes, so I don't think I'll pull them.

My gut says the tripping is because of the long toe. I agree about fixing the trim and then going from there.

And thanks, I will look up Pete Ramey!
                        No trim, no foot. Shoes or barefoot.

Those shoes are not sliders, those would provide more under the heel. Just wide, are they keg shoes? Good keg shoes or cheapest you can get? Does he heat them up and reshape or just cold shoe?
                        Makes a difference in fit or sort of fit. These, to me, sort of fit, one is narrower under the heel or one hoof heel is wider. Or both. They aren’t the same.

Its your money and you defer to the farrier for their expertise. As you learn more, you will see and understand more you will outgrow some of your service providers, be it a trainer, vet or farrier. Don’t be afraid to make a change and if you know they will get defensive, grumpy or unwilling to explain themselves or educate you? Just try another.

Never burn a bridge, just don’t use them any more. They won’t miss you if you just don’t call to schedule your next appointment or cancel one you have already made and never call back. You have a barn full if 15 horses, yeah, they’ll be in touch. Single horse owner? Never be missed.

Comment

Yup. That's why he's tripping. Way long toes, way high/underrun heels, stretched frog.

Comment

I agree, the toes look SO long. That is why I think he is tripping, also. Hoping to have the farrier out this week. Maybe it's the poor trim, but the past few cycles I've felt like he's really on a 5 week schedule and the farrier prefers 6 weeks for his own schedule, which is frustrating.

Last time he was out, he was bitching about someone we know being unhappy with his work and saying they complained the toes were too long and heels underrun. He kind of went off about it, saying people who say that (long toes/underrun heels) don't know what they're talking about, and that really stood out to me as I was already starting to be concerned about the feet. For the record, I really like this guy and he turned some gnarly feet around in the past. But with this horse this time, I feel like it could be much much better and his comments last time make me feel like talking to him about it won't go that well.

If you live in a "horsey area" I suggest you ask the vet, at a tack/ feed store or best yet visit some area barns and when you find horses that have feet that look good find out who they use.

I have had good results by getting a farrier through a vet, by word of mouth from horse people I trust. I found 2 great farriers from the internet and 1 from meeting new neighbors (when I moved) who rode up on their horses to welcome us to the area.
                            I looked at the feet of their horses and immediately asked who they used.

Bottom line is your horse is being left way, way too long. If your farrier refuses to take off the needed toe you are going to eventually have soundness issues. When he comest this week request that he take more off and then look for a new farrier.

You shouldn't have to tell them how to do their job. I have been there in the past and my horse suffered because of it. I literally begged him to take more off and he replied that he took off all he could.

My new farrier has no problem keeping my horses short, their feet look great and I don't have to ask . Ever.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post

No trim, no foot. Shoes or barefoot.

Those shoes are not sliders, those would provide more under the heel. Just wide, are they keg shoes? Good keg shoes or cheapest you can get? Does he heat them up and reshape or just cold shoe?
                              Makes a difference in fit or sort of fit. These, to me, sort of fit, one is narrower under the heel or one hoof heel is wider. Or both. They aren’t the same.

Its your money and you defer to the farrier for their expertise. As you learn more, you will see and understand more you will outgrow some of your service providers, be it a trainer, vet or farrier. Don’t be afraid to make a change and if you know they will get defensive, grumpy or unwilling to explain themselves or educate you? Just try another.

Never burn a bridge, just don’t use them any more. They won’t miss you if you just don’t call to schedule your next appointment or cancel one you have already made and never call back. You have a barn full if 15 horses, yeah, they’ll be in touch. Single horse owner? Never be missed.
                              They are keg shoes, and probably not the cheapest possible but I don't buy them. He used to make his own for each horse but that stopped a couple years ago. He does hot shoe and I do think they fit mostly, I think the biggest issue is obviously the trim.

Thanks everyone for the validation of what I'm seeing. As with so many things in the horse world, the relationship with this farrier is tied into other friendly relationships and I am dreading firing him and finding someone else. He is technically my husband's cousin, and does my best friend's barn where I also ride. And yeah, it's a horsey area but I am only immediately acquainted with the bad farriers, I will have to do some digging. But like others have said, I shouldn't have to ask them to do their job correctly. I rode the horse today, just a walk, and ugh, he feels so flat and stabby. I feel bad for trying to ignore how poorly the feet were going. I think when he was barefoot he could do enough self-trimming, but now he's stuck with these big paddle feet.

Comment

Yep, those feet look awful. There is way too much old dead sole and bar material in the feet and your farrier has just been taking the walls down to the existing sole plane at each trim and allowing this to build up. Over time the toe and heel have been allowed to stretch more and more forward as the sole builds up. You can see rings in the hoof wall of one of the feet showing the amount of excess pressure in the quarters area as the hoof has moved out of proper alignment. Any good farrier should be able to see all of this for themselves. Time to move on to a new farrier.

Comment

They are keg shoes, and probably not the cheapest possible but I don't buy them. He used to make his own for each horse but that stopped a couple years ago. He does hot shoe and I do think they fit mostly, I think the biggest issue is obviously the trim.

Thanks everyone for the validation of what I'm seeing. As with so many things in the horse world, the relationship with this farrier is tied into other friendly relationships and I am dreading firing him and finding someone else. He is technically my husband's cousin, and does my best friend's barn where I also ride. And yeah, it's a horsey area but I am only immediately acquainted with the bad farriers, I will have to do some digging. But like others have said, I shouldn't have to ask them to do their job correctly. I rode the horse today, just a walk, and ugh, he feels so flat and stabby. I feel bad for trying to ignore how poorly the feet were going. I think when he was barefoot he could do enough self-trimming, but now he's stuck with these big paddle feet.
                                  Where you at? In some parts of the country farriers will "bias" a trim to the dominant horse type. I live in East TN and have gaited horses (Mangalarga Marchadors). To most farriers here "gaited" means "Walker." And that means long toes and low heels as that's how many think Walkers go "best." It isn't, but changing a 100 year old equine culture is daunting task! While our specific problems might not be relevant to where you are the idea of a "daddydiditthataway" method of thinking might be VERY relevant.

Our current farrier is a very competent workman who is a good horseman (has some personal QHs) and does a solid, workmanlike job. BUT, in our early days of working together, I had to regularly remind him that I wanted a trim to anatomical correctness and a shoe on those horses who needed it to protect that trim. I didn't want him to "correct" gaits by messing with angles and lengths. It took a bit of time but he's a bright guy and "got it." Now we don't have problems in that area.

If the trim is wrong a shoe won't fix it. If the trim is right a shoe can still make it functionally wrong; or not.

If it were me I'd likely pull the shoes, get that anatomically correct trim, and let the foot grow out for a couple of cycles, and then re-evaluate the need for the shoe at all. If it is there then the put the correct shoe on, correctly fitted, to protect the trim. If your current farrier does not do this then you have some choices to make.

Good luck in your program.

G.
                                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

Thanks everyone for the validation of what I'm seeing. As with so many things in the horse world, the relationship with this farrier is tied into other friendly relationships and I am dreading firing him and finding someone else. He is technically my husband's cousin, and does my best friend's barn where I also ride.
                                    You don't " fire" them really. You just don't call for another appointment.

If they do ask why you haven't called , you just say that he was leaving them too long. No need to bad mouth the job they do. I just say that for my horses, I needed someone who could meet their needs better.

Personally every farrier I have used have been really nice and pleasant people to be around. It always feels awkward if / when I have to look elsewhere.
                                    Last edited by candyappy; Aug. 7, 2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Or you can just say you want to try something else and not reference his work. It’s none of his business who who choose, it’s your horse and your money and he’s only going to argue with you anyway. Same with any friends or family, it’s not their business and you don’t need to explain anything. Time for a change is all the explanation they are entitled to.

Just don’t call him and don’t stop to talk to him if he happens to be in your barn. Simple “Hi, too busy to chat” should suffice if he starts to talk to you.

When I’ve stopped using a service provider and run into them a few months later, always surprised they barely recognized me if at all. I was simply not important in their business or to them personally and they never missed me. Don’t worry about it, just move on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post

Where you at? In some parts of the country farriers will "bias" a trim to the dominant horse type. I live in East TN and have gaited horses (Mangalarga Marchadors). To most farriers here "gaited" means "Walker." And that means long toes and low heels as that's how many think Walkers go "best." It isn't, but changing a 100 year old equine culture is daunting task! While our specific problems might not be relevant to where you are the idea of a "daddydiditthataway" method of thinking might be VERY relevant.
                                        Yes, there is definitely a regional component! I am in the mid-Atlantic and long toe/underrun heel is common. So are indiscriminate glue-ons. I think this farrier used to be much better, I honestly don't remember thinking the feet were this bad before, but he has had a lot going on in his personal life and I really don't think he wants to shoe anymore anyway. Plus his attitude sucks.

findeight and candyappy, good advice! I texted him the other day but he hasn't responded so I think this will be easy. I think my best friend will be miffed, she basically worships him, but I think we can push past it.

Thank you all for validating the terribleness of these feet. It's easy for me to see some of the posts here and think wow those are bad feet, but I was really trying to make myself think that my own feet weren't so bad. But I'm also glad to know I wasn't just making it up. The combination of shame and repulsion every time I look at his feet were certainly trying to tell me something!

Comment

Working...
                                        X