Sport Horse Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ration balancer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ration balancer?

I feed Progressive Grass Balancer but have moved and can no longer get progressive feeds

What would be a a decent equivalent for grain?

Horses are all in good weight, if not a little heavy. None work hard. Light riding. Lots of pasture, hay will change from grass-alfala mix to prairie and Bermuda mixes.

Thoughts?

Why not just buy a V/M supplement? Easy to order online and you don't need to feed much. If you truly had to "mix" it with something, a handful of alfalfa pellets or beet pulp would work.

Comment

You could go with Buckeye Grow n Win or Tribute Essential K. Both have very low feed rates. I've used both with good results.

I currently use the Purina ration balancer for easy keepers (the lower protein one) as my horse is semi-retired and on pasture 24/7 and maintains a great topline easily, so she doesn't really need the higher protein that are in the Buckeye or Tribute ration balancers (which I gave her when she was in more work).
      Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

I've been very happy with the Buckeye Gro N Win. Been feeding it for several years to m air fern and now to two harder keepers. Very palatable and seems to get the right stuff in them.
        Brand Loyal
        BLM Mustangs: Smokey, Dollar, & Tanner
        BLM Burros: Radar & Ping

Comment

What feed brands do you have access to?
          "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Poulin Etec Balancer if you are in the Northeast.

Also, there is a chart at this website, under the ration balancer tab. (Note Poulin has upped the NSC from 10.5 to 13.8. I am not sure it matters much if you don't feed much, but could be for very sugar-sensitive horses.)
            Dr. Reilly is the “Ask the Vet” expert on Equine Insulin Resistance for the AAEP. Horse Insulin has many jobs and many targets. Insulin has direct action on all cells in the body (except the brain), and helps in carbohydrate, protein, and fat breakdown products entering the cells.
            You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Progressive feeds have been merged with ProElite feeds by Cargill. So, if you have a ProElite distributor, the ProElite Grass Advantage will be (essentially) the same thing - they made very few changes to it when it took the place of the ProElite Diet Balancer. They have a dealer locator on their web site.

There is a thread about it here - https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...rass-advantage
              There can only be one best. Discover the only ultra-premium horse feed and explore the exclusive line of ProElite products.
              ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
                What feed brands do you have access to?
                Whatever tractor supply sells and purina.

I looked up Progressuve-Pro Elite but they aren't close enough to me.

I've had some locals tell me they feed this:
                https://www.mannsvilleagcenter.com/h...eds/koolspeed/

Comment

I’d wait and see how the horses handle the change in forage before investing a huge amount of time and energy into making a decision. Take a picture of the tag or label on your current bag and go to TSC and find something similar. Did you test the old hay? Going to test the new hay? How does pasture composition compare? Best of luck with the move.

Comment

I have been using the Purina Enrich plus and both my horses love it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCF01 View Post

Whatever tractor supply sells and purina.

I looked up Progressuve-Pro Elite but they aren't close enough to me.
                      Nutrena Empower Balance, Purina Enrich 32, both are fine.

I've had some locals tell me they feed this:
                      https://www.mannsvilleagcenter.com/h...eds/koolspeed/
                      None of the KoolSpeed products are ration balancers, they are regular feeds (for a few different category horses)

Comment

I like the Buckeye Gro N Win. You can get it shipped from Chewy.
                        I have used Purina Enrich 32 also.
                        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

McCauley’s M10 is the only ration balancer that my picky guy will eat. The other 2 will eat any ration balancer.

Comment

If you can get it I love the Hallway Pure and Simple. Nutrena is a good way to go as well as Buckeye. Palm Beach is right I would see how they do on forage so maybe just get some alfalfa pellets and renew gold? we have horses doing well on just that.
                            when the world turns on you your horse will be there.
                            -ariah

Comment

Forage may provide all the calories a horse needs, but unless you hit the lottery and have grass/hay that is not only nutritionally well-balanced, but has everything in at least the right amounts, it's best to add at least a good quality v/m supplement if you want to support optimal health.

Alfalfa pellets and a fat supplement (ie the Renew Gold) can be great for getting more calories and/or more protein, and if enough alfalfa is fed, bring up the ca/phos ratio to a more acceptable level. But they won't balance certain everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SCF01 View Post
                                I feed Progressive Grass Balancer but have moved and can no longer get progressive feeds

What would be a a decent equivalent for grain?

Horses are all in good weight, if not a little heavy. None work hard. Light riding. Lots of pasture, hay will change from grass-alfala mix to prairie and Bermuda mixes.

Thoughts?
                                We used to feed the Progressive adult supplement balancer, but they stopped making it? Our feed store can't get it anymore. Our feed store recommended Pro-Elite Grass advantage, and we're giving it a whirl. See what is available in your area and compare labels.
                                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Originally posted by J-Lu View Post

We used to feed the Progressive adult supplement balancer, but they stopped making it? Our feed store can't get it anymore. Our feed store recommended Pro-Elite Grass advantage, and we're giving it a whirl. See what is available in your area and compare labels.
                                  There are no more Progressive feeds (the regular stuff - regular feeds, ration balancer, fat supplement). They've all been merged into the ProElite line.

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
                                    Progressive feeds have been merged with ProElite feeds by Cargill. So, if you have a ProElite distributor, the ProElite Grass Advantage will be (essentially) the same thing - they made very few changes to it when it took the place of the ProElite Diet Balancer. They have a dealer locator on their web site.

There is a thread about it here - https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...rass-advantage
                                    I use ProElite Diet Balancer. I like it. My horses eat it.

ETA, oops, just read you cannot get ProElite. I'd go with the Purina Enrich 32.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

There are no more Progressive feeds (the regular stuff - regular feeds, ration balancer, fat supplement). They've all been merged into the ProElite line.
                                      Oh, thanks for this information! I didn't know this.
                                      Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Working...
                                      X