Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

_MG_4777-HDR

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Ugg .. my horse has laminitis!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your blog suggests some seriously muddy pastures. Can he be moved to a pasture /paddock with better drainage?
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by J-Lu View Post
      Your blog suggests some seriously muddy pastures. Can he be moved to a pasture /paddock with better drainage?
      I did. And this year was worse that years past due to more rain that normal. But much to the annoyance of the barn manager I insisted that he be moved and have been a pain in the ass about not moving him back.
      https://fearlessriderreturns.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=walkinthewalk;n10442070]-----

-----[/QUOTE

She only keeps a small amount of hay on hand. TH BM said that each pen goes through 2-3 round bales a month and she keeps maybe a months worth on hand.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Laminitis switches to founder at the moment the coffin bone is displaced relative to the hoof capsule.

It is possible for a horse to have a laminitis episode, and if the hoof balance is good and the episode is treated promptly, for instance icing, soft boots, etc., to have no resulting founder. The inflammation just subsides.

Thank you for the explanation.

It is absolutely possible for a horse to founder from hay. Around here, the typical first cut local grass hay can easily be 25% NSC. The hay looks like coarse "pony hay" and is low protein, low minerals, but it is high sugar and I have seen someone founder a pony on that hay.

The problem is that he is round bales and she only gets about a months worth at a time. It is another reason to switch him to a stall. I could probably have the hay soaked then. She feeds a grass/ alfalfa mix.

A horse that has had a previous laminitis episode that has triggered structural changes to the foot can have those structural changes get worse and worse without a new active laminitis attack, especially if the hoof is in poor balance. Founder will cause the whole hoof capsule to slip forward on the coffen bone, and that will in turn put more pressure on the structures and make things worse. So yes, a horse with a certain degree of founder (sinking or rotation) can absolutely get worse without a new laminitis outbreak.

​​​​​​​Thank you for that explanation.

OP, note also that founder hurts. The coffin bone is closer to the sole and the foot is sore and tender. In worst case scenario the coffin bone will penetrate the sole (that's game over typically). So a horse can have worsening founder and more foot pain over time even without a fresh bout of acute laminitis.

Thankfully that has not happened yet.

OP, did you get any PPE or rads on this horse when you acquired him? I seem to remember he was a freebie or a rescue or something like that, so perhaps you didn't look closely at his feet? Did he have founder rings on his feet when you first got him?

Good memory! He is a rescue with no history. He did have founder rings, although the farrier was unsure if they were from over grown hooves or founder. He had no idea what his feet had looked like prior to me.

If you look at the wall of the hoof, it is a good road map to what has happened to the horse over the last year.

We did look closely, and this feet were getting better. They were going out really nicely.

Pethaps we need to see hoof photos here. That could help determine if the problems started before or after you got him.

I posted a pic of his hooves, and both radio graphs above.

I really do recommend the online sites i mentioned above.They will help solve some of your confusion here.

Also, any owner with a horse showing laminitis or founder has to do a lot of self education fast to get up te speed on the issues. Unless you know a lot, you cannot be a good advocate for your horse. The solution is multi modal, so to speak. It will involve nutrition, hoof balance, hoof protection, medical testing, medical intervention, and rad diagnosis. You will need to be the central person assimilating all this information and getting the various practitioners to pay attention to each other. You can't expect just your vet or just your farrier to guide you through this. No one practitioner has all the answers.
          Thank you SO much for taking the time to explain all that to me. I am big into research, my past year as been PPID/ IR now I will switch to founder. I completely agree that we are the only person who will advocate for our horses. I am frustrated because I am in a boarding situation and don't have 100% control of the environment he is in. For the fist year I was there for every vet appt, every farrier appt. but I switched jobs and have had to had the barn hold him for some of these visits and it has been frustrating! I am going to have to start scheduling things so that I can talk to these people. This happened when I was having a hard time getting out to the barn as often as I wanted to, and to this day this BM swears up and down that she never saw him take a lame step!

I have looked into getting him into a different place, but unfortunately, my search has not yielded any good result. I have one place in mind that would put him closer to me, but the turn out is over crowded and on a slope. Other places do minimal turn out, or are further away so I would have an even more difficult time getting out to see him. He is already 45 mins away.

Comment

If a horse is severely lame on one leg, especially one front leg, you will see the characteristic head bob when he moves. That's all most people look for to gauge "a lame step." This is typical of hoof abscess and accidental injury to soft tissues or joints, which affect only one leg.

If a horse is lame on both front feet, you won't see a head bob (this is typical of founder, laminitis, and also of navicular syndrome, which all tend to be bilateral conditions). You will see a horse that is "going short" on both front legs, or that is reluctant to move out nicely, or seems "lazy" or sucked back. If a horse is lame on both hind legs, for instance both the hocks are hurting, again you will see short strides behind and if it's the hocks, the leg travelling straight without articulating the hock much (hock arthritis also tends to develop bilaterally). But in neither case will you see a distinct head bob.

I've spent hours of quality time with my trainer who is also a trained farrier/ barefoot trimmer and has a good eye for horse biomechanics, and have learned to see lameness in horses when the owners/riders are oblivious.

So it is perfectly possible that your horse was sore on both front feet, was moving slow or moving short, but did not present anything that your barn manager recognized as "a lame step," especially if it is mud season and the kind of barn where horses stand in the mud and eat a random round bale, i.e. your horse is not in rigorous training program where everyone is looking for his gaits to lengthen and improve week over week.

If the laminitis episodes are past, and there is some rotation, the task now is how to try to reverse that rotation. A really experienced top trimmer like Pete Ramey can do this with trims, with soft boots or glueons if necessary, and with some changes in nutrition. The idea is to manage the trim so that the new hoof grows out in correct relation to the coffin bone, since the coffin bone doesn't really rotate, rather it is the hoof capsule that rotates. This growing out will take at least a year.

Though I have never been caretaker of a horse with founder, I went to his hoof rehab lecture/clinic last summer out of general interest in hooves, and watched him work on a number of local horses that were in recovery from varying degrees of founder, and we got to see the radiographs plus his work.

He also recommends therapeutic doses of copper and zinc, as in California Trace brand minerals. I really recommend his website. He impressed me as someone who is continually learning, does not have a one size fits all approach, and is actively involved in university level research in collaboration with animal scientists. He also runs a Hoof Rehab FB group where you could discuss these things.

Of course another piece of the puzzle is making sure the laminitis does not re-occur. That's where figuring out what triggered it is so important. Note that most horses do not have problems even on high sugar hay, unless they have underlying metabolic problems or they are allowed to get obese. But I understand that once they founder from feed problems, they remain susceptible to it, just like once people get diabetes they have to manage their sugars for life.

Horses can also get laminitis and founder from fever following infectious diseases, from overuse on hard roads, from very bad trims or shoeing, or from a one-off raid on the grain room.

Comment

• Original Poster

So it is perfectly possible that your horse was sore on both front feet, was moving slow or moving short, but did not present anything that your barn manager recognized as "a lame step," especially if it is mud season and the kind of barn where horses stand in the mud and eat a random round bale, i.e. your horse is not in rigorous training program where everyone is looking for his gaits to lengthen and improve week over week.
              He was completely lame on his right front. You couldn't not see that he was lame. Even my hubby with no horse experience would have seen that he was lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeless View Post

He was completely lame on his right front. You couldn't not see that he was lame. Even my hubby with no horse experience would have seen that he was lame.
                One foot would make me think abscess or something else before laminitis.

It could be both - e.g. a horse with an abscess can also have laminitis.

I can't find the xrays….maybe it's just too early for me?

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post

One foot would make me think abscess or something else before laminitis.

It could be both - e.g. a horse with an abscess can also have laminitis.

I can't find the xrays….maybe it's just too early for me?
                  My mare showed up lame one day in just one foot. No sign of anything wrong. Wasn't getting better so I took her into the equine hospital where I was working at the time. We did xrays and that's where we saw the rotation so yes it is possible, while rare, to have laminitis in just one foot. She had none of the typical laminitis signs and my first thought was abscess too.
                  "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

OP, when *you* first noticed the lameness, was the hoof hot or cold?

If hot, then you intervened in a current state of acute laminitis.

If cold, you are dealing with older chronic founder (rotation or sinking) that has either progressively gotten worse, or started to hurt for whatever reason,

It would be useful to have photos showing the hoof and pastern. Often if horses have asymmetric front hooves, for instance if one hoof/pastern is naturally more upright (what is called a club foot, but nothing like club foot in humans), that foot is more susceptible to mechanically induced laminitis and then founder. Not connected to the diet, just to stress on the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by ryansgirl View Post

My mare showed up lame one day in just one foot. No sign of anything wrong. Wasn't getting better so I took her into the equine hospital where I was working at the time. We did xrays and that's where we saw the rotation so yes it is possible, while rare, to have laminitis in just one foot. She had none of the typical laminitis signs and my first thought was abscess too.
                      And you know that there was no rotation prior to that?

So what was the cause - was there a mechanical reason for only one foot being affected?

(As the owner of a Cushings pony, I've seen serious laminitis - it doesn't always even look like lameness because all the feet were sore. )

Comment

Jingles & AO ~ during this difficult time period ~

Never an easy assignment ~ IMHO

((hugs)) of support laced with strength and patience ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

So what was the cause - was there a mechanical reason for only one foot being affected?

(As the owner of a Cushings pony, I've seen serious laminitis - it doesn't always even look like lameness because all the feet were sore. )
                          No rotation prior - in fact never a single day of being lame since I had her (9 yrs at that point). Vetted clean at the track (she's an OTTB and now 20). Vet said mechanical so I switched farriers to one that works in conjunction with my vet. My previous farrier was more old-school and wanted to do the opposite of what the hospital vet wanted (current vet worked there too so we all know each other).

I have seen plenty of full-blown laminitis cases when I worked at the hospital. From ponies to warmbloods. I've also seen farrier work that is just horrific for laminitis cases yet trying to get the owners to understand they were doing more harm than good wasn't easy.

Having a vet and farrier willing to work together is huge.
                          "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

• Original Poster

No, I do not know that that there was no rotation prior to this episode. It would be entirely possible that an abscess lead me to get radio graphs and then notice the rotation.

Photos are on page 2.

His feet were looking better though, and then we had new growth rings. So ... that is why my farrier and I thought there was another episode. My vet thought that his left was worse that his right, but actually the right had more rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeless View Post

Photos are on page 2.
                              I do not know if your photos show up for anyone else but they do not show for me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                                I do not know if your photos show up for anyone else but they do not show for me.
                                Damn it! I will try and fix that.

Comment

yep couldnt see them either.

Comment

• Original Poster

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bsG59Z1H2h2sB6Xt5

Did that work?

Comment

That is definitely a well established case of founder, visible even without the xrays.

I'm curious, did his feet look more or less like this when you acquired him? This is a lot more than "a few rings" on his hooves, the capsule has visibly migrated forward on the hoof and the hoof has that crumpled or collapsed thing going on.

Horses can have a few "incident rings" on their hooves that don't affect the structure, especially if they have been living through fluctuations in grass on a pasture. But this horse has clear signs of founder, which is much more than that.

I went back to look at OP's earlier threads and blog to see what I could of the horse's feet when she acquired him a bit over a year ago, I think. There are no clear photos of the feet, but they do look a little foundered even back then at a distance. OP mentions early on that the horse appears to have foundered in the past, but didn't Xray him because that won't change how they manage his feet.

Given that, I'm curious as to what kind of management and re-shaping of angles has been attempted in the past year? OP says last year that the hoof appears to be growing in straight, but looking at it now, it seems like the top inch is straight, but the hoof continues to flare out lower down. If anything, it looks like the feet are in worse shape now than a year ago? My reading of the situation is that the horse arrived with established founder, a bad coffin bone angle, and whatever farrier work has happened over the past year has not helped reverse this, so the coffin bone is slipping more and more.

I myself would consider these feet to be emergency time in terms of getting a really good therapeutic farrier or trimmer onboard. If the coffin bone has continued to fall over the last year, even without a hot acute laminitis episode, the horse will eventually have the coffin bone rotate through the sole and need to be euthanized. In other words, getting this problem reversed is a life or death question for this horse, not just a quality of life question. It's not like an old soft tissue injury or arthritis where the horse can move stiffly around in the sunshine but live a long time. It needs active and intelligent intervention, and even so it may not work.
                                      Last edited by Scribbler; Aug. 11, 2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I myself would consider these feet to be emergency time in terms of getting a really good therapeutic farrier or trimmer onboard. If the coffin bone has continued to fall over the last year, even without a hot acute laminitis episode, the horse will eventually have the coffin bone rotate through the sole and need to be euthanized. In other words, getting this problem reversed is a life or death question for this horse, not just a quality of life question. It's not like an old soft tissue injury or arthritis where the horse can move stiffly around in the sunshine but live a long time. It needs active and intelligent intervention, and even so it may not work.

everything Scribbler said but especially ^^^THIS^^^. "Really good therapeutic farrier is Critical Path for those hooves. A lameness vet should be involved if at all possible.

There re is no magic bullet for those hooves. Micro management of the hooves on the OP's part is also critical path. Do what the farrier and vet tell you to do and then some.

As an FYI if orthotic shoes go on the horse instead of boots & pads:

WLD can be an on-going issue with these hooves. I struggle with it to some degree with my foundered horse. The farrier hot shoes and cauterizes the hooves with the hot shoes --- it helps a lot. But not all horses will tolerate smoke rolling off their hooves. My horse's attitude is "meh, no big deal" but my other horse would go thru the barn roof if he had to have his hooves cauterized.

Also, my farrier uses copper nails which are anti bacterial and MIGHT help some to reduce anaerobic issues in the nail holes. She said they are about the same price as standard nails and don't seem to be any more difficult to hammer in.

Just some helpful info if you shoe the horse --- which to reiterate what Scribble said --- you need a farrier well versed and experienced in rehabbing foundered hooves because those hooves are in dire need of specialized help

Comment

Agree with above. New farrier is necessary. This is not *just* a recent event.

Comment

Working...
                                          X