Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What colour is my horse!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What colour is my horse!

Hey guys, I'm new on this site. I have a question about my horse. I'm not sure exactly what colour he is! When we first got him we were told he was a blue roan. But he doesn't roan out at all, I would say it's more of minimal rabicano then roaning. But then I figured he might be a seal brown. Now I'm thinking Grullo. I'm not sure who his parents were nor do I have his papers to tell me. But if you guys could help me out that would be great!

Here is some information on grulla:

http://www.morgancolors.com/dun.htm

Do you see any dorsal stripe and barring on legs?
    That would definitely indicate there is a dun gene there, along with whatever else the background color is.
    Here is an example of dorsal stripe and barred legs:

Comment

Definitely not any sort of dun (grulla is a black dun). Dun horses have a dorsal stripe that carries on through the middle of their tail, which I don't see in your picture. The white is likely rabicano. He likely is a sun faded brown from what I can make out on my phone.
      ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Comment

Bay Roan? He does have a ton of white hairs that indicate roaning. But it's clearly very minor. Definitely not blue roan IMO.

Comment

That dorsal stripe would be a lot more sharply defined if he had the dun factor (even if his coat didn't have the dun dilution going on, since we now know they are 2 separate genes). Rabicano for sure, and that can cause white ticking quite extensively, though nearly always stopping by the time it gets to the shoulders.

Comment

Shaded Buckskin maybe? This is a picture of mine.

Comment

"shaded" is referred to as sooty

Comment

Now I want a sooty buckskin. Thanks COTH

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  "shaded" is referred to as sooty
                  I like to use “smutty”, it’s more fun to say....

Comment

He looks like some shade of brown to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Toblersmom View Post

I like to use “smutty”, it’s more fun to say....
                      "Smutty" is fun! Especially since i have a "smutty" palomino who was an oops baby and named "Illicit Affair"

Comment

Working...
                      X