Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Adding supplemental salt in addition to salt block -- who knew?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding supplemental salt in addition to salt block -- who knew?

I would like to think of myself as somewhat educated, but it looks like I missed this one.

FeedXL said I was short on salt, but I have a Himalayan salt rock that he loves, so I didn't worry about it. But then I read up that the recommended salt amount is 1 oz/day, which is almost 2 lbs per month. He isn't eating his salt rock THAT fast... so I am adding Morton's Iodized.

I have never given extra salt, in 25 years of owning horses. I always assumed they would eat the salt block as needed. Some completely ignored it; none ever ate 2 lbs a month. I have read on many sites that "good hay and access to salt" is enough. I have never had a problem caused by a salt deficiency -- or any nutritional deficiency. On really hot days that we worked I would give electrolytes --but more like I consumed Gatorade. Not a steady diet.

So, does everyone add salt? Where do horses get salt in nature?

IME most horses won't pay enough, or any, attention to blocks. They aren't made for smooth-tongued horses, they are made for rougher-tongued cows. Horses need loose salt, either free choice, or force-fed, or both.

Feral horses find areas where the soil is salty enough, and utilize those when possible.

Comment

I wonder how much salt is added to pelleted feed?

Comment

I've been feeding an ounce of salt in my mash. Maresy can go through a 7 lb Redmond salt block in 8 weeks, though.

Comment

So how much in would you feed a large warmblood per day. A teaspoon, tablespoon, cup full?

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut_Mare View Post
            So how much in would you feed a large warmblood per day. A teaspoon, tablespoon, cup full?
            HUH? Of salt? As noted above, the recommended amount is an ounce. That's a weight measurement. In volume it's fairly small.

Comment

The cup full was supposed to be a joke. I feed a level teaspoon twice a day but am wondering if that is enough in this heat and all the sweating they are doing. I don't own a scale that can measure one ounce.

Comment

1 TB is about a half ounce, so feed 2 TBs. Better to use non-iodized salt or get it from feed supply.
                Savor those rides where you feel like a million bucks, because there will be those where you feel like a cheap date...

Comment

NRC guidelines say 100 mg/kg body weight, daily, for maintenance. All nutrients are on a per body weight basis, it's not static for "horse".

Comment

Originally posted by Lusoluv View Post
                    1 TB is about a half ounce, so feed 2 TBs. Better to use non-iodized salt or get it from feed supply.
                    Why non-iodized? I've always heard iodized salt is best for horses.

Comment

Many horses don't need extra iodone, so while it's not necessary to feed non-iodized, it's fine to. If they need some help , then use iodized

Comment

• Original Poster

Some of my barnmates feed electrolytes daily -- I looked on some of the labels, and though the dose is 1 oz per day, the amount of sodium is just 35%.

Supplement manufacturers must assume salt is coming from some other portion of the diet?

Comment

I don't see the need for electrolytes daily unless maybe the horse is in really hard work. I do sometimes give a bucket with salt and a dab of molasses, which does the same thing. Also my horse doesn't like the electrolyte flavors.

Comment

I feed 1 tablespoon of salt twice daily.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDrifter View Post
                              Supplement manufacturers must assume salt is coming from some other portion of the diet?
                              Yes - forage. And any salt-heavy dirt licks the horse might find.

Supplements aren't aimed at salt intake, unless it's specifically a salt-based product.

Electrolytes are more than just salt, they are taking into account the other - calcium, potassium, etc. They aren't a salt-specific supplement.
                              Last edited by JB; Jun. 25, 2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDrifter View Post
                                Some of my barnmates feed electrolytes daily -- I looked on some of the labels, and though the dose is 1 oz per day, the amount of sodium is just 35%.
                                Daily electrolytes are almost never recommended for horses. For one thing, as you've pointed out, most contain very little in the way of what horses actually need...I did the math for one group of students once and showed them that, to replace the electrolytes lost in one hour of moderately intense exercise, you'd need to administer ridiculous amounts of most commercial electrolyte products - 9 doses of one of the products we chose at random, for example!

Comment

I feed salt with the grain mix, twice a day, about a tbsp each meal. I've tried putting up salt blocks, a certain horse who shall remain nameless, likes to pull them off the wall instead of licking the salt and destroy the holder!
                                  I worked for a vet who fed salt twice daily, which gave me the idea.

Comment

I feed just one TBS once daily except for one mare who refuses to eat if there is salt in her feed. Won't eat if there is a salt block in her feeder, sigh.

Comment

My gelding loved his salt block so I never added salt to his diet. My mare runs on the warm side and sweats quite easily and heavy. I gave her a himalian block once and she got the runs from it. Probably wouldn't hurt for me to add a TBS. 2 x a day. I don't trust giving her a block again as she must have gone overboard eating it

Comment

I have always fed 1 tablespoon 2X per day to my horses. I use iodized sea salt which is dirt cheap at Costco. I did a ton of research many years ago and forget why iodized sea salt was determined best.

I avoid electrolytes on ulcer prone horses and only use if really required.
                                        "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

Working...
                                        X