Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Photo1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

ISO advice... broken navicular bone on nerved horse with arthritis.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO advice... broken navicular bone on nerved horse with arthritis.

Well the title basically covers it. This is the short version of this story as follows. Got this grade horse about a year ago (Winter 2018), did NOT do a vet PPE (which I am strongly regretting!). Horse is called Boomerang, grade paint gelding approx. 14 years old. When I got him I started working him 5 days a week and a few weeks after hard work he was sore on left front. Had a slight head bob at the trot. Thought it was an abscess, was given time off. Lameness came and went in summer and was really not noticeable, everyone at barn thought I was crazy. Later in summer (2018) brought him to a vet who thought he had navicular syndrome, but she did not want to take xrays. She did do a nerve block with lidocaine to come to this conclusion. Farrier that the vet recommended refused to shoe as a navicular horse without xrays, he didn't think horse looked lame enough and I was advised to ride him until he is noticeably lame and then to go from there. At this point with this horse I was upset that I had bought him and tried to sell him honestly. I only had sketchy people contact me and I figured he would be better dead than with sketchy people. My horse and I were moving to a bigger city in the spring so I waited over the winter to get better opinions. Now Summer 2019 the horse got settled in the new barn, had a vet out who did a lameness exam and Boom passed with flying colors (not lame). Vet offered xrays and I said yes, really wanted to get to the bottom of this. Vet found a fractured (in two places) navicular bone on front left hoof! Vet said this horse had been nerved before I got him, otherwise this fractured bone would be so painful he would be lame at a walk. According to the xray there are other structures that suffered from the break, and he developed arthritis and enthesophytes (bone response to stress). This is why he is sound from the fracture, but not hard work.

I will state this horse and I have had a love-hate relationship from the beginning. Really just bought him because he was the first horse in my price range that did not buck in trial (NOT a good way to buy a horse!!). (He was my come-back horse after the passing of my first & heart horse). The only way this dummy would be safe for more beginner riders is if he is worked 5 days a week. Maybe 4 days.

My question to you all is this: Do you think euthanasia is the most humane option? At this time I am thinking I will let him live out the summer and then put down in fall or donate to necropsy program.
    I am not in a position to own two horses (and really want to be riding), he should not be used in a therapy program (due to unruliness from lack of work), if he gets worked too hard his arthritis will flare up and will be sore. The only other option I can think of would be if someone just wants a pasture pet.* Something else the vet said was if and when the nerve grows back he will be in a lot of pain from the broken navicular bone. I have read online if you nerve a horse a second time (assuming he is on his first time) it is not as effective.

*Yes, I am aware of kill buyers, and also that he is better off euthanized than in a crappy pasture pet home. If I were to pursue this option I would ask for references of good care.

**Location is Midwest of United States.

Have you tried shoes now you have the X rays? He might be a lot more comfortable with stability.

I personally have zero problems with you euthanizing a horse that can't stay sound in work, but I'd just experiment a little with shoes/pads first to see if you can get him to work for you.

I would also see how he does with some daily bute.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just had the xrays done two days ago, have not tried shoes/pads yet. Something to keep in mind, thanks!

Comment

What an awful position to be in, I am so sorry!

Is there any work that doesn't make him terribly sore? Could he fit into a trail riding program some where?

It's hard to find the right pasture puff situation. That's what I would try to do.... He is sound at the walk... for now...

PTS is going to be the option that closes all loose ends. You could also look at donating him to science. Certainly you can easily dump money into him for second opinions and potential treatment but there's likely not a whole lot that can be done, and that's not the option for you.

Comment

I would 100% euthanize this horse. He's got a grievous injury than he can't really feel. Pasture life for a nerved horse is only appropriate with special attention...since they can't feel part of their foot, it's important to look at them daily. He's not a "toss out and let him be a lawnmower" horse with this condition, even IF you were able to find that kind of home.

It sounds like he's had little kindness before landing with you. Giving him a bucket of carrots on a sunny day and letting him go is the best ending for him at this point ♥️

Comment

Wholeheartedly agree with Simkie. It can be tricky finding the right shoeing setup for a horse with "just" navicular syndrome, never mind a broken navicular bone. Hugs to you.

Comment

Endgame situation, IMO.
              www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by allthecritters View Post
                Just had the xrays done two days ago, have not tried shoes/pads yet. Something to keep in mind, thanks!
                I owned and showed a horse with a broken front navicular. With correct shoes and pads and injections, she showed for years at the 3'6" without issue. Never nerve blocked her. Just stayed really tuned into how she felt and always had her checked regularly by the vet to be sure she was ok.

Comment

But this horse hasn’t been nerve blocked, she’s been nerved. Which means she can’t feel that foot. I would not ride, let alone jump, a horse like this. If she is under your care, you could try special shoes, but honestly, I wouldn’t have any problem euthanizing her.
                  We had one that was nerved and she suffered a catastrophic injury to that foot. Catching and euthanizing her was very traumatic.

Comment

Agree with Simkie. Euthanasia is NOT inhumane but pain is. Very sorry for your situation.
                    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

IMO, euthanasia is the most humane option for this horse.
                      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Agreed - euthanasia is the best option for this horse.
                        Custom tack racks!
                        www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Originally posted by allthecritters View Post
                          grade paint gelding approx. 14 years old.
                          Vet found a fractured (in two places) navicular bone on front left hoof! Vet said this horse had been nerved before I got him, otherwise this fractured bone would be so painful he would be lame at a walk. According to the xray there are other structures that suffered from the break, and he developed arthritis and enthesophytes (bone response to stress). This is why he is sound from the fracture, but not hard work.

The only way this dummy would be safe for more beginner riders is if he is worked 5 days a week. Maybe 4 days.

I am not in a position to own two horses (and really want to be riding),

if he gets worked too hard his arthritis will flare up and will be sore.

The only other option I can think of would be if someone just wants a pasture pet.
                          In this specific situation, I think euthanasia is the best option. He will still potentially be in pain as a pasture pet.

Your goals are important and if you need a riding horse and can only have one horse, then that's that.

It is never easy to make the decision to put one down but often times it is the best decision for the well-being of the horse.

Yes you could try shoes/pads but the difficult part of the situation here is that he has already been de-nerved. Yes, with time, nerves can grow back and they can regain some feeling to pain. So you are, to a degree, more limited on knowing how much the shoes/pads help. But, if he is not going to stand up to the type of riding you want to do, then there's no sense in putting time and money into shoes/pads when he still won't be able to do the type of physical activity you want.

It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

I agree with euthanasia as well. No hoof. No horse.
                            It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Shame on the person who sold you this horse without disclosing the issue. Thank goodness he landed with you and not someone who would dump at an auction. I agree with everyone recommending euthanasia. That's the kindest thing you can do for him.

Hugs to you.
                              Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                              Quiet Miracle 2010 16.1h OTTB Bay Gelding
                              "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

My best horse fractured his navicular bone due to a congenital cyst in the bone. The fracture healed but the calcification of the healing process interfered with the deep flexor tendon. The vet refused to nerve him as the tendon would wear through and the horse would end up down on his elbow. I loved this horse I could not face having him down in the field one day unable to get up. He was only 10 and I had owned him since he was two. Euthanasia was the only option.

Comment

Decades ago, we had a ten year old ranch horse turned out in the canyons early summer, that one day came in limping.
                                  Hauled him to vet, x-rays were showing a deep wing of coffin bone fracture.
                                  Vet was not very optimistic the outcome of that would be good.
                                  Vet put a cast on the foot and horse, a very quiet, calm one, was kept in a stall with a small pen.
                                  He loved all the attention and being kept where he didn't have to fend off nosey, pushy horses.

After 30 days, cast was removed, no change, vet put another cast.
                                  After 60 days, same, horse still dead lame and vet decided euthanizing was in the best interest of the horse.
                                  With that kind of break, vet never even discussed nerving him.
                                  Nerving is a last resort try to keep a horse from hurting, after the fracture heals, not to get a fracture that doesn't heal to then magically heal by nerving the foot.
                                  Don't see where that protocol would have come from for the OP's horse?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                    Don't see where that protocol would have come from for the OP's horse?
                                    Get better quick so you can dump him and be done with it, most likely

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post

Get better quick so you can dump him and be done with it, most likely
                                      It's entirely possible the horse was nerved for navicular or other foot pain before the fracture happened. There could have been bone cysts that causes bone the pain, and the subsequent fracture.

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post

It's entirely possible the horse was nerved for navicular or other foot pain before the fracture happened. There could have been bone cysts that causes bone the pain, and the subsequent fracture.
                                        Yes, that makes more sense.

Comment

Working...
                                        X