Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

6571 Vermont Hill Rd. Wales NY. Krystal Dern-53
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

At end....how to deal with hives..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At end....how to deal with hives..

Am I the only one dealing with this? It's super bad this year and not even nearly as rainy as last year. My boys are covered in hives. The eldest not so bad but my show horse is covered and not only that they've turned into scabs. My youngest is covered and miserable. They are each getting 5ccs of DeX 2x, have flax and MSM in their diet and I just don't know what to do. My show horse is basically going to lose all his hair. I've bathed with microtek as soon as I can. Boys just moved to my farm in feb.

Does anyone have an suggestions?
    Sir Frost, 4, OTTB
    Calm & Collected, 16, OTTB
    Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 20, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 31, TB (RIP 8/30/17)

We just had this. Pony was covered in hives, we gave her 10mg dex in the morning. By 8 she was fine, by 6pm they were back. On day 3 I asked the vet about preventative measures and she said hydroxyzine (allergy med). But then the next day they didn’t come back. But ask your vet about allergy meds.

Comment

Equiderma lotion is fabulous at removing scurf from skin and restoring the skin back to health. The product contains Neem oil, quickly removes the scabs painlessly, and with daily maintenance for a while on the scurfy areas, the skin heals beautifully. It's a little bit expensive, but a bottle goes a long way because it works fast. Good luck with your horse!
      "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Inexpensive is permoxin or whatever equivalent you have over there. You end up with a long, mane, tail and forelock.

It is not a cure. It takes away the itch which stops the scratch which stops the itch. As long as the insects causing them are there you need to use it.

If down to blood brush over whole horse 3 times a day, working down to 2, down to 1, down to every 3 days if you are lucky. It is better to let them dry before you put the rug on.

On the label you can mix it with something other than water if you want it to dry quicker.
        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Have you tried spirulina? Sometimes that works well for hives. I had one that would break out late July, early August. I think she was allergic to the corn (when it started to get silk) that was grown next door. I added the Spirulina to her ration balancer and it definitely helped keep them minimized.

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
            Am I the only one dealing with this? It's super bad this year and not even nearly as rainy as last year. My boys are covered in hives. The eldest not so bad but my show horse is covered and not only that they've turned into scabs. My youngest is covered and miserable. They are each getting 5ccs of DeX 2x, have flax and MSM in their diet and I just don't know what to do. My show horse is basically going to lose all his hair. I've bathed with microtek as soon as I can. Boys just moved to my farm in feb.

Does anyone have an suggestions?
            I had issues last year and over the winter, and upped the MSM to 20,000 mg a day and now have no issues. Spriulina didn't help. No lotions or potions prevented it. Hope you find something that works.
            "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Another vote for spirulina. I also like to rinse with straight witchhazel. Keep it cool in the barn fridge and it seems to be quite soothing. Just squirt on and rub gently over hives with your hand.

Comment

Benadryl.
                1 tab for ever 100lbs.
                http://kaboomeventing.com/
                http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Could try quercitin. It’s helped my itchy lumpy mare with watery eyes.

Comment

Agree with Benadryl. Do you know if it's caused by insects or a grass/hay/straw allergy?

Comment

Some of my horses also come in from night turnout with hives - especially if it rained on them. Oddly enough the horses with TB blood or the chestnuts are the worst. I've found I can greatly minimize the hives from coming up by rinsing the horses in vinegar/water. Doesn't always work if they've already dried though. I have no idea what the causative factor is though.

Comment

Working...
                      X