Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Dry, Itchy, Flakey Tail Bone - at my wit's end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dry, Itchy, Flakey Tail Bone - at my wit's end

    My horse has a continually dry, itchy, flakey tail bone, that he rubs the hair out of.

    I combed the COTH Forum archives for suggestions, and have tried most of them, to no avail. Is there anything left to try? Horse is kept on a regular worming protocol and doesn't appear to have any other health issues. Horse's diet includes a high amount of Omega 3s - he's on 2 cups per day whole flax, plus Vitamin E, an otherwise has a very shiny, healthy haircoat.

    Things I have tried:
    - Listerine & baby oil
    - Tea Tree Oil
    - Mineral Oil
    - MTG
    - Shampooing with Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo

    It isn't seasonal and it isn't insect-related. It's the same condition, whether it is 15 degrees and snowing, or 70 degrees and sunny. Horse is regularly heavily groomed and curried 5+ days per week.

    Help. What else is there to try?

  • #2
    I might try listerine or another anti-fungal solution. Let me guess, it's a bay who shows all the dandruff

    Comment


    • #3
      Have you had the vet out for a skin scraping? He might have some sort of skin parasite or treatable skin condition, but taking a very close look at what's happening is probably a good next step. Sounds like you've done a good job of hitting the typical solutions, so time to pull out the big guns and bring in the vet.

      Comment


      • #4
        My mini has the same problem. His dermatologist (I'm lucky to live near a vet dermatolgist as the mini has many skin issues) has me use DOUXO Seborrhea Mousse on his mane and tail and it cleared him right up. I do not know if it is a prescription med or not, I have a feeling it might be. And it says for dogs and cats only, so you may want to check into that part of it. But I thought I would mention it as it was the only thing that soothed Peanut's skin. He itched and flaked year round, too.

        ETA: Just checked the bottle and it says for sale through licensed vet only
        Last edited by cayuse; Jun. 7, 2019, 01:52 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I spray Apple Cider Vinegar on the itching and rub it in.

          Comment


          • #6
            Have you tried Head and Shoulders shampoo? You might give that a try. But agree that unless you know exactly what skin condition you're dealing with, that continued treatment might be throwing away more money until its been nailed down.
            ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

            Comment


            • #7
              The vet suggested Selsun Blue shampoo, long years ago. It's still sold but I don't know if I would apply it without rubber gloves.
              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
              Incredible Invisible

              Comment

              • Original Poster

                #8
                Originally posted by cayuse View Post
                My mini has the same problem. His dermatologist (I'm lucky to live near a vet dermatolgist as the mini has many skin issues) has me use DOUXO Seborrhea Mousse on his mane and tail and it cleared him right up. I do not know if it is a prescription med or not, I have a feeling it might be. And it says for dogs and cats only, so you may want to check into that part of it. But I thought I would mention it as it was the only thing that soothed Peanut's skin. He itched and flaked year round, too.

                ETA: Just checked the bottle and it says for sale through licensed vet only
                Huh, interesting! I went online to get some more info and it looks like it's sold through some pet retailers like Chewy.com, but maybe there is a non-prescription version? Or maybe they require a prescription at checkout?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would also consider diet. Maybe add flax?

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                    I would also consider diet. Maybe add flax?
                    I guess I could add flax, but more than 2 cups per day sounds like an awful lot

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I would have vet take a skin scraping to determine the cause but in the meantime try Equiderma Lotion.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is he also on a commercial grain? I tried everything mentioned above and my horse didn't stop itching herself raw until I took her off grain. She's allergic to corn, soy or wheat apparently. I'm going to get around to doing the allergy testing soon to narrow it down, but she's hasn't itched at all in 9 mos since taking her off grain. Thank goodness!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LuvRedHeads View Post

                          I guess I could add flax, but more than 2 cups per day sounds like an awful lot
                          sorry missed that, my bad reading comprehension!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LuvRedHeads View Post

                            Huh, interesting! I went online to get some more info and it looks like it's sold through some pet retailers like Chewy.com, but maybe there is a non-prescription version? Or maybe they require a prescription at checkout?
                            Must be different variations of it. I just looked up the one on Chewy.com and it is different than the stuff I have. Mine doesn't have chlohexadine (spelled that wrong?) in it.
                            Allivet.com seems to have it. It is listed with phytosphingosine HCL 0.2% on the bottle. Whatever that is

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Has his sheath been cleaned lately?
                              "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by ryansgirl View Post
                                Has his sheath been cleaned lately?
                                That's what I was going to say.
                                www.laurienberenson.com

                                Comment

                                • Original Poster

                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by LaurieB View Post

                                  That's what I was going to say.
                                  I think that's my next avenue to explore. I have only had him a few months. Not sure the last time he was done.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Define your 'regular deworming program' including active ingredients and intervals in which you administer dewormer, please. Ivermectin, despite what the label says, won't treat all worms, i.e.: tapes (which are itchy) and encysted strongyles... both of which will not show up on fecal egg counts. You need moxidectin/ praziquantel (Quest Plus) and Equimax (Praziquantel/ Ivermectin) to address these.

                                    And when you do clean his sheath, be sure you go after the bean, not just the smegma that layers up in goopy clumps around the sheath cavity and shaft. Have a COMPETENT vet perform this if you're at all concerned. Recently saw a post wherein a vet dx'd a tumor at the head of a gelding's sheath. Nope.. it was just THE most enormous bean I've seen in decades. The size of two golf balls glued together.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Sansena View Post
                                      Define your 'regular deworming program' including active ingredients and intervals in which you administer dewormer, please. Ivermectin, despite what the label says, won't treat all worms, i.e.: tapes (which are itchy) and encysted strongyles... both of which will not show up on fecal egg counts. You need moxidectin/ praziquantel (Quest Plus) and Equimax (Praziquantel/ Ivermectin) to address these.

                                      And when you do clean his sheath, be sure you go after the bean, not just the smegma that layers up in goopy clumps around the sheath cavity and shaft. Have a COMPETENT vet perform this if you're at all concerned. Recently saw a post wherein a vet dx'd a tumor at the head of a gelding's sheath. Nope.. it was just THE most enormous bean I've seen in decades. The size of two golf balls glued together.


                                      for maintenance, once you've determined there is no medical issue... I like Healthy Hair Care for mane beds and docks
                                      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

                                      http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        My mare did this until we got good coconut oil and rubbed it in her tail bone daily. All the hair has grown back and is now thick, shiny, and no more rubbing

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X