Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Barn
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Stifle ligament splitting surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stifle ligament splitting surgery

Looking to hear from people who've had it done and how is your horse doing now? Better? Still catching? Worth it?
    Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook
    Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses Website and Blog
  • Original Poster

Anyone? Having trouble connecting with anyone who's had it done a while ago and what the long term results were? Trying to determine if it is worth a go of if after a period of rest, my guy is likely to revert back to status quo, which to me, would make it not worth it as there are just some periods through winter where riding won't happen for instance. Right now he's quite crooked in his way of going due to that stifle.

Comment

I have had the splitting done on two horses and know two other people who’ve had it done. I think it is worth doing. The other people I talked to were thrilled. With my horses it helped but fitness is still key. You may have to repeat it. It’s definitely a better option than blistering or cutting.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Helicon! How long ago? When your horses regressed, did they regress as much?

Comment

I wouldn’t say they regressed. It think it more like the procedure improves them but not 100%, but regular work can do the rest. One was done a year ago successfully, but then had an unrelated issue requiring down time. The other was done twice 3-4 years ago and has done well. We repeated with the one stifle because first time did not make enough difference. Other horse I know of required a few attempts and finally responded when they combined blister with fenestration.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for that further explanation.

Comment

I did the splitting procedure with my TB Cross gelding after managing him with constant consistent excersise for several years.

It got to the point where no amount of work (hills, cavaletti, backing) kept him comfortable. He never did lock up completely but he had a pronounced sticking/hesitation.

The results were pretty amazing. We followed up with the prescribed rehabilitation and he has not been bothered since. It's been about two and a half years.

I was told he may or may not need to have it done again in the future.

It was totally worth the time/$ and I’m so glad we did it.

Comment

• Original Poster

BigG's Mom, how has he been to bring back after any period of rest since the surgery?

Comment

It has definitely made a big difference when bringing him back after a lay off.
                  He is coming back from his longest ever lay off right now and I am really impressed with how well he is doing.
                  He had the splitting procedure 3/16 and was in pretty regular work till he stepped on a nail 9/18. He had surgery and is just now coming off stall rest.
                  We were concerned he may have to have the splitting done again but so far so good.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! That's been my hesitation -- the concern about how much regression after a period of rest.

Comment

works like a charm, just have it done!

Comment

• Original Poster

Our appt is set for June 14th.

Comment

I hope the procedure helps your horse. I did have it done but my guy had other issues going on in the stifle and the procedure didn't fix it. It was a simple and quick procedure but the hand walking for three weeks afterwards sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by FatCatFarm View Post
                            Our appt is set for June 14th.
                            Please update us with results and progress!!

Comment

How long is the recovery and how much does the procedure typically costs?

Comment

• Original Poster

I've been quoted $325 by one vet (mobile only) and $550 from the vet I've scheduled the appt with who has a standalone clinic. Then $600+ by another vet with his own clinic across town (Bob Grisel). This is one side/stifle only and not bilateral.

I've got a call into my vet about the rehab protocol. Would be interested to hear what others have done as sifting through old threads there seems to be quite a lot of variability, i.e., from just hand walking the first week, to being ridden under saddle for increasing amounts of time.

Comment

Cost for us was 350$ for just one side.
                                  Rehab was three weeks of stall rest and hand walking. It’s not fun but for us it was totally worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by FatCatFarm View Post
                                    I've been quoted $325 by one vet (mobile only) and $550 from the vet I've scheduled the appt with who has a standalone clinic. Then $600+ by another vet with his own clinic across town (Bob Grisel). This is one side/stifle only and not bilateral.

I've got a call into my vet about the rehab protocol. Would be interested to hear what others have done as sifting through old threads there seems to be quite a lot of variability, i.e., from just hand walking the first week, to being ridden under saddle for increasing amounts of time.
                                    Our rehab protocol was stall rest for 3 weeks with hand walking in increasing increments. The stall rest was to let the ligament thicken and heal without having the horse overdo it in turnout and further injure it. No pain meds. My horse did seem pretty good after the procedure, then we injected the stifle joint about 3 mo later and after that, horse overdid it and really injured the MPL. After that, we did PRP and finally I just retired him to be a pasture puff. He can be ridden lightly and by lightly I mean pretty much walking, otherwise he does have a hitch in his giddyup.

I feel like most other horses, who truly have an MPL issue only, do well with this procedure. But for my guy, there were other issues at work and ultimately the procedure itself wasn't sufficient.

BTW, Dr Grisel is awesome!! He did a records review on my stifle guy and added so much good feedback to our treatment protocol and suggestions. I would go with him even with a higher price tag.

Comment

• Original Poster

My gelding had the surgery done today and is just fine. Spent the day at the clinic then came home. My vet decided to do both once he saw him go. The total cost was$580. Worth every penny if it works.

He gets the next 7 days off and went right back out in the pasture. Only needs cold hosing the next few days. Then goes back to work without limitation. He's not been in regular work, so will be concentrating on fitness and straightness for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                      X