Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A

Last edited by Cruiser12; May. 13, 2019, 01:53 AM.

It's not always super easy or even possible to get a body removed for rendering/ buried etc. on a weekend. If it is super wet there they may not want to drive the tractor around/ across the fields and tear them up. It's certainly not ideal, but it's not necessarily a huge issue, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser12
      Yeah, the farm folks are fully aware of this. I agree with what "Highflyer" said.

if you're that worried, instead of bringing it to a forum, have a KIND conversation with the Barn Owner to see what the delay is.

If you don't like the answer you can always take matters into your own hands and see how easy it is NOT to get a deceased animal quickly disposed of. One of the cattle farmers on my road once drug a cow up to the road for the rendering truck to pick up. To his great dismay that cow laid at the road for around three weeks. The turkey buzzards had taken care of most of it before the rendering truck got here. How would you have handled that one?

Where I live it can be H**l just to find someone willing to dig the hole and help put the horse in that 8-10 feet deep hole, since I flat out refuse to see my horses go down the road to a renderer when I have plenty of rural property to lay them to rest.

my deepest sympathies to the horse's owner -- I'm pretty sure they are a lot more upset over the issue than you are---

Comment

If you've never had to deal with the logistics of disposing of a horse carcass, I'd be hesitant to pass judgement. It can be very difficult, very expensive and very weather dependent.

If the horse was put down by injection, that poses a whole separate set of obstacles to dispose of the carcass.
        The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

If you are in Ohio, I suspect you are beset by some of the weather patterns that my area has been afflicted with recently - wet, on top of wet, with more wet. We are dealing with monumental flooding at dangerous levels. This impacts ground integrity, water tables, land accessibility, etc. I can see how even that alone would slow down the removal of a body if the plan was to get it buried in the back acres.

And relocating remains requires the same access to heavy machinery that burial does - if the ground is too wet for a tractor to get involved (or a tractor isn't available) then you are stuck at the moment.

Is it ideal? No. But can I see how it happens? yes.

Tough situation for all involved. If I were a bystander in this, I would keep my mouth shut and look the other way because I'd be certain there are other factors at play that I would be ignorant of and with the situation already as hard as it is, why add more difficulty on top of the sadness and grief.

Comment

You've surmised that it may be too wet to bury.
            It may also be too wet to be moving the body without sinking the equipment up to the axles or beyond.
            Regardless, if you're wondering, why not ask the management?
            They are far more likely to know the answer than anyone here.
            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Every time I’ve had to bury one, it’s been late spring or early summer when the ground has been dry and able to withstand a large backhoe getting in and out. I’m not sure what I’d do if I’d had to bury one during a wet fall/winter like this past year.
              "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser12

The owner doesn’t know that the horse is behind the barn not yet buried and no one , including myself, would be so heartless as to tell her. I forgot to mention that this farm has hundreds of acres, their own backhoe and dump truck. They should have at least pulled the dead horse down the gravel lane that they drive on daily and placed it away from the rest of us.
                However, if I was the owner of the deceased horse, I would have been sure that it was disposed of correctly and quickly or at least moved away from the barn area! I have lost horses before, I understood how sad it is.
                Well that puts a different spin on things

they likely haven't done anything until the owner is informed. Not knowing how important, emotionally, the horse was to the owner, she may want to have it cremated and keep the ashes. That's an expensive process where horses are concerned.

Or it's possible the farm owners either cannot or do not want to bury the horse on their property.

sticky wicket when it's a boarding situation and sounds like it was pretty unexpected.

Comment

ETA: My post below is responding to a reply the OP made. It has since disappeared. It was essentially to the effect of "I'm apparently the only one who views this as a problem then" and I read it in a passive aggressive tone, which is why my response below is worded as such. I have no idea where that post has gone.

You are only assuming that the horse can be moved, as it sounds that you haven't actually spoken to anyone to confirm any of your thoughts.

That may not be true.

Assumptions are not wise. They are also unkind in an emotional situation.

I would advise exercising kindness, rather than manufacturing outrage. I certainly wouldn't consider this an ideal situation. But it may be the best of poor options for reasons unbeknownst to you. Be kind.
                  Last edited by Edre; May. 12, 2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edre View Post
                    ETA: My post below is responding to a reply the OP made. It has since disappeared. It was essentially to the effect of "I'm apparently the only one who views this as a problem then" and I read it in a passive aggressive tone, which is why my response below is worded as such. I have no idea where that post has gone.

You are only assuming that the horse can be moved, as it sounds that you haven't actually spoken to anyone to confirm any of your thoughts.

That may not be true.

Assumptions are not wise. They are also unkind in an emotional situation.

I would advise exercising kindness, rather than manufacturing outrage. I certainly wouldn't consider this an ideal situation. But it may be the best of poor options for reasons unbeknownst to you. Be kind.
                    He or she has edited this thread so many times I can't figure out what the heck the timeline is. Absent some smoking gun evidence pointing to the barn owners having a track record of leaving dead horses lying around; I think OP is probably being overly reactive. There's too many variables at play. Starting with the assumption that the horse is to be buried by the barn owners. Most boarding facilities cannot and will not. The only exception I know of was my neighbor. And it was a very special case. She'd looked after the horse most of it's life, it was the last boarder she had, and she owned the property and had no intentions of ever selling. The horse's owners had a profoundly disabled child and too much on their plate as it was. So, my neighbor made all the arrangements for them and had the horse buried there on her farm.

Comment

Oh oh oh let's just say my sympathies and understanding go to horse owner and anyone who is trying to help them with what others have already pointed out is a monumental task. ZERO sympathy for OP.

Comment

Dragging a dead horse down a gravel road is not a really good idea, I can promise you.

Comment

Darn, the OP is gone.
                          Why ask a question and then remove it when you do not like the answers? Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                            Darn, the OP is gone.
                            Because they didn't want answers, they just wanted to be reaffirmed in their emotional response to the situation?

My answer was going to be: when you see a flock of vultures on the roof of the barn, maybe the carcass has been out a tad long. Wait for the vultures before you get upset.

Comment

Darn, the OP is gone.
                              Just because you can!

I don’t think she would like living here, if anything dies after the big freeze starts, we just pile snow on it, then hope that the ground melts enough to dig, before the snow mountain melts.
                              "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Darn, the OP is gone.
                                Because that's how Facebook works :-/

Don't like the answers? Delete your question. Don't like what specific people have to say? Block the person, and POOF it's like they don't exist at all.

Comment

I'm so confused, what just happened? Someone didn't immediately bury a horse?

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post
                                    I'm so confused, what just happened? Someone didn't immediately bury a horse?
                                    Yeah. The OP was really upset because a horse died over the weekend, and was left behind the barn with a tarp over it instead of, I don't know, getting taken to the funeral parlor or the morgue?? The weather was wet. OP thought they should be able to bury it immediately at the boarding barn or something. And "the owner didn't know the horse was lying out back" (no idea if that was true or not, since a halfway involved owner would certainly know the horse was dead plus they hadn't called the rendering truck yet). OP wanted horse at least dragged out of sight down the gravel drieway.

Nobody shared the OPs shock and panic about this, so OP deleted everything and left the headless post to rot.

Comment

Yes. It was a boarding barn, there was an unexpected horse death, and the OP, another boarder, was upset that the body was still under a tarp a couple of days later. Upset and implying that this was some sort of malfeasance on the BO or BM's part. No information on 1.) what part of the country this was in 2.) any limitations on what the BO/BM had to work with.

Having once been in this situation and trying to hide the body so the other boarders wouldn't see it, a farm manager and I once put a horse carcass on a hay wagon, covered it with a tarp and parked the wagon in the farmyard amongst other farm equipment and hoped it wouldn't be noticed. I did comment that it looked like absolutely nothing else but a dead horse under a tarp, but the ruse was successful and we were able to contact the owner and make arrangements for the burial in due course with none of the boarders being the wiser. .
                                      The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

Working...
                                      X