Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0200
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Platinum Performance Gastric Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platinum Performance Gastric Support

My vet has prescribed the Gastric Support supplement from Platinum Performance. On my horse's scope she saw keratinized portions of his stomach and two or three areas of red dots that are inflamed. These are pre-ulcers. He is currently on Nexium since April 21st after having a complete round in February and having a return of ulcer symptoms. I am just wondering if there is a generic version available or something with the proprietary ingredient that makes this supplement worth $95 every two weeks.

TBH, this leads me to question the effectiveness of Nexium given that he's been on it for 2 1/2 weeks and after a complete round in Feb (was it a complete round of Nexium or gastro gard?) Did the vet suggest any treatment with gastrogard/ ulcergard, or just the PP gastric support?

Comment

• Original Poster

Complete round of Nexium with prolonged weaning period and the addition of smart gut ultra to therapeutic levels prior to discontinuing Nexium. Almost immediate return of ulcer like symptoms after cessation. She said I *could* do 2 weeks of gastrogard but she doesn't find it necessary and to do this instead until we can get him happy. However I could be misinterpreting his ulcer like symptoms with poor saddle fit symptoms. I've been dealing with these issues since December and officially got the "Your saddles don't fit" talk by a saddle fitter early March. Have replaced my dressage saddle only last week and am still shopping for a CC saddle, but plan to only ride in the new dressage saddle that fits until I can get a good fit on a CC.

Comment

Hum. That seems like a lot for a couple of red dots. We have been using U Guard pellets for a horse that was nipping sides and it helped a lot. I would also consider Purina Outlast although you would have to dose that 3 times a day. No biggy if your horse is fed 3 times a day. It would seem that would be sufficient for less than half the price of PP.
        "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

What dose of Nexium were you using? There are some of us going by the other Nexium study and using a higher dose for the 4 week treatment period than what most people are doing. Seems as though from what I've read that the success rates are more reliable (even though I'm sure others will disagree!).

Comment

• Original Poster

I did the traditional 60mg and saw a big difference in behavior. Someone said that nexium also has magnesium in it and that could have altered his mood positively and made me think it had to do with ulcers. As it is now he doesn’t take any grain whatsoever.

Comment

My vet recommended PP Gastric as well, but after reviewing the ingredients I didn't choose to feed it based on the relatively high price relative to the ingredients. I'm doing Perfect Products GastroEease along with Purina Outlast.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you! That sounds really close to Gastric support from PP and much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                X