Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

19356345109468bpo109468101
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

OCD Lesion in Young Horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCD Lesion in Young Horses

Hello All,

My filly has been looked at recently for an OCD lesion in her right knee. My vet is optimistic and wants to do x-rays later in the summer. She is about to turn 2, and apparently they don't show as well on film when they are that age. He advised solo turnout as long as she is not running herself ragged, which she is doing well with, and no "forced exercise." I have followed this closely. He believes her lesion was caused by her growth rate (she grew quickly and has incredible musculature for a filly her age and workload), and the fact that she had an injury to the knee. She was already at risk for them due to her growth patterns, but the injury was icing on the cake, so to speak.

For those of you with horses that have OCD lesions, what was long term prognosis like? Did your horse go on to have a career undersaddle? Or were they limited? Goose has her forever home with me, but I would like to hear others experiences with these lesions.

She is grade, I picked her up from a slaughter lot in October of 2017 when she was estimated at 4 months old. I have no history on those 4 months previous but she was in terrible body condition when I purchased her. Covered in fungus and a bag of bones...
    I’d rather ride on a Mustang, than in one.

BaileyAnn Neal

Hi WildGooseChase,

I've had 8 horses with OCD lesions. My first one was diagnosed at 7 months, and I believe we did the surgery as a yearling. He had really boggy hocks. It looked like someone stuck a foot ball in sideways there was so much fluid. He was never lame, but had floaters so we did the surgery on both hocks. The swelling never went away but he was never lame before or after. He is 11 this year, and still going strong.

I was hesitant to do the surgery again after that, but I have done it 4 more times, and their hocks look great.

Where is her OCD lesions? Does she have swelling currently? Did your vet discuss surgery?

Comment

I would remove them. It’s fairly routine & turns out well.

Comment

No experience with OCD lesions at the knee but I had a horse get them on each hock as a 3 y.o. They were small but were floaters. Had them removed, very easy recovery and as soon as he was cleared, I started him under saddle. I used him as a lower level dressage horse and he was always sound. At around 15 years old, he began to have some arthritis and needed hock injections every year or two but I never felt it was related to the OCD lesions.

If I were you, if you have the means, I would wait til the vet feels it needs to be removed and just get it done.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by redpanther View Post
          Hi WildGooseChase,

I've had 8 horses with OCD lesions. My first one was diagnosed at 7 months, and I believe we did the surgery as a yearling. He had really boggy hocks. It looked like someone stuck a foot ball in sideways there was so much fluid. He was never lame, but had floaters so we did the surgery on both hocks. The swelling never went away but he was never lame before or after. He is 11 this year, and still going strong.

I was hesitant to do the surgery again after that, but I have done it 4 more times, and their hocks look great.

Where is her OCD lesions? Does she have swelling currently? Did your vet discuss surgery?
          She does have some minor swelling currently, vet has not discussed surgery yet. He would like to do x-rays on the knee for a more definitive diagnosis. Apprently, due to her estimated age, he said it is best to wait a few months so he can see them better on film. Her estimated age currently is 22 months, so just under 2. He said between 2.5 and 3 is when they show up the best if they are there. I am sure if they do present as he is thinking, we will discuss surgery. He was confident about the whole thing.

Thanks so much for the help. I have never dealt with this before

BaileyAnn Neal

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by enterata View Post
            No experience with OCD lesions at the knee but I had a horse get them on each hock as a 3 y.o. They were small but were floaters. Had them removed, very easy recovery and as soon as he was cleared, I started him under saddle. I used him as a lower level dressage horse and he was always sound. At around 15 years old, he began to have some arthritis and needed hock injections every year or two but I never felt it was related to the OCD lesions.

If I were you, if you have the means, I would wait til the vet feels it needs to be removed and just get it done.
            The vet did mention a bit higher risk for arthritis in the affected joint, but way later on in life. He was confident about the whole thing. He wants to do x-rays in a couple months to get a clearer picture. Sounds like I need to save for surgery! haha

Thanks!

BaileyAnn Neal

Comment

Working...
            X