Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_3487
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Puzzled by this mare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled by this mare

I'm hoping someone has gone through something similar will read this....

Last week I found my mare in her stall with very stocked up hind legs. Upon further examination I found her udder to be very swollen.
    My first thought was "tick"! So I felt around for it. She really liked that- her reaction was "ooh that's itchy". And after poking her some fluid shot out! (No tick found, and the fluid is a clear/milky color, odorless).

The swelling in legs and udder goes down significantly after being worked. But today, 4 days after my discovery, with the same symptoms present, I lunged her. She usually loves to play on the lunge- but today she was less wild, and kept wanting to stop all together. But what I found most odd is that she kept biting at the lunge line-very unlike her . She's also bumped up the opinionated mare act when being ridden.

No temp. No change in feed. Turnout is on dirt. Call put in to the vet.
    Anyone think this is allergies? Reproductive? Lyme?

Curious to hear others thoughts

Mastitis? Though I though that was painful for the horse.

I'd be calling the vet.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHorses View Post
      Mastitis? Though I though that was painful for the horse.

I'd be calling the vet.
      I had mastitis with my younger child and it hurt! A cow we had with it seemed very painful and went downhill fast, too.

i wonder if there was a tick that fell off before OP saw it. Or if there's a lymphatic issue or possibly cellulitis. Or a mass of some sort. Time for the vet!

Comment

Definitely time to call a vet and order CBC/ Chem and have the heart examined.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone- I already called the vet.

Comment

Any chance she is pregnant?
            Accuracy is the twin brother of honesty; inaccuracy, of dishonesty.
            Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

This happens to my mare, particularly in warm weather, or if she's confined or bothered by flies. Her legs stock up and clear fluid leaks from her udder.

I have chalked this up to an imperfect circulatory and/or lymph system. She has had many cases of cellulitis, which I think have compromised her. She just can't clear excess fluid the way she used to. When it's really bad, she'll get ventral edema as well. She's a 27 year old Thoroughbred mare, never foaled.

The leaking from her udder is just a matter of gravity and the path of least resistance.

Real mastitis (an infection from a blocked duct rather than just inflammation of the udder) is supposed to be uncommon in mares. If it were mastitis, not only would you expect that she be nursing, you'd expect that her udder would be hot and painful.

Interested to hear what your vet thinks though.
              Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! My vet is coming out this week. Ill report back

Comment

I've had mastitis in a dry (non lactating) mare, so it does certainly happen (although it is rare.) She was VERY painful. Took quite a long course of antibiotics to clear up.

I hope you get some answers, Mosh!

Comment

• Original Poster

Her bloodwork came back with a small increase in WBCs, more so her monocytes. She still has edema in her udder and stocking up in her hind legs.

My veterinarian is still waiting for her Lyme test to come back, but feels she is definitely fighting something.

Comment

Working...
                    X