Sport Horse Spotlight

Sternlicht_CF_Stallion_Web-1583x1266

Real Estate Spotlight

livingroom

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

PPID/Cushings.... another thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPID/Cushings.... another thread

Vet has tested my horse for PPID, tests came back normal, however, I'm convinced my horse has issues and needs treatment.

For the past 3 winters he has gotten hind hoof abscesses, bad ones that take months to resolve. He has a thicker winter coat and the hair on his legs have become curly in winter. This is a horse who barely grew a winter coat 5 years ago. His topline is non-existent and he is losing muscle.

Vet will not prescribe medication until the bloodwork shows something. I don't know what to do but feel my horse is going downhill more and more every year. He is a 15 year old 17h warmblood cross.

Do you have another vet available? Some are more proactive than others.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by quietann View Post
      Do you have another vet available? Some are more proactive than others.
      Yes, I already had a second opinion and was told the same thing that they cannot medicate until the horse tests positive.

Comment

It's so frustrating! Mine is similar, although her symptoms are very mild. She has the fat pads (especially over her eyes), hangs onto her winter coat a bit late, and her topline isn't quite as nice as it used to be (but we are not doing dressage anymore, so it could be because of that), but has not had the hoof issues other than being footsore last year due to poor shoeing.

She's been tested for Cushings (and IR) multiple times and only once has she had a value even slightly out of range. I did have one vet who, about 4 or 5 years ago, said she "looks like" a Cushings horse, and had I not moved her out of that vet's practice area, I suspect she'd be getting treated regardless of test results. She is a now 21 YO Morgan, and they are SO prone to metabolic issues. My current vet did prescribe Thyro-L for her to try to get her weight down a bit, and it helped, but she may need a higher dose. (Vet comes tomorrow and we will see what he says.)

I am actually hearing about more vets not relying completely on the test results in diagnosing Cushings, especially, because the tests themselves can be influenced by so many things. Some are willing to do a trial of pergolide/Prascend. There are also, as I am sure you know, a lot of herbal supplements that are supposed to help, but the data on those is anecdotal. Heiro for IR, chaste berries for Cushings.
        You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by quietann View Post
          It's so frustrating! Mine is similar, although her symptoms are very mild. She has the fat pads (especially over her eyes), hangs onto her winter coat a bit late, and her topline isn't quite as nice as it used to be (but we are not doing dressage anymore, so it could be because of that), but has not had the hoof issues other than being footsore last year due to poor shoeing.

She's been tested for Cushings (and IR) multiple times and only once has she had a value even slightly out of range. I did have one vet who, about 4 or 5 years ago, said she "looks like" a Cushings horse, and had I not moved her out of that vet's practice area, I suspect she'd be getting treated regardless of test results. She is a now 21 YO Morgan, and they are SO prone to metabolic issues. My current vet did prescribe Thyro-L for her to try to get her weight down a bit, and it helped, but she may need a higher dose. (Vet comes tomorrow and we will see what he says.)

I am actually hearing about more vets not relying completely on the test results in diagnosing Cushings, especially, because the tests themselves can be influenced by so many things. Some are willing to do a trial of pergolide/Prascend. There are also, as I am sure you know, a lot of herbal supplements that are supposed to help, but the data on those is anecdotal. Heiro for IR, chaste berries for Cushings.
          Yes it is super frustrating for sure. How is your mare doing on the Thyro-L, any improvement?

My boy is a hard keeper and is on the slimmer side - not crest etc... which is why vet is hesitant.

Comment

My horse did not have wow numbers but we started her on half a tablet. Many of her symptoms disappeared. She had a tendon injury (PPID horses are predisposed), numbers creeped up and we increased the dose again. From what I understand numbers can be deciving if there are other symptoms. May be time for a different vet.

Comment

Did you do the TRH stim test or just ACTH? The TRH stim/response test is supposed to be more sensitive. We've done both and both were normal but I've put the bug in my vet's ear about possibly still treating with a low dose. We will revisit in a few months if we have more cellulitis flares and other strange symptoms.

Comment

I am a big cheerleader for the SmartPituitary supplement by SmartPak and suggest it anytime someone brings up Cushing's. I noticed a big difference in my Cushing's mare when I started her on this and I'm convinced it gave her a few extra years of quality life. As a bonus it's very affordable. May be something to check into if your vet says the horse isn't quite bad enough for meds yet.
                *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05
                *Missy* 2.2.88/89 - 9.3.18

Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

19 year old Mustang here. Has always tested normal. Has all the same symptoms. Started Prascend two years ago this summer. Big improvement. My vet consulted with Cornell U. Their recommendation was to medicate. Find a vet that will give the meds a try.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SLedbetter View Post
                    19 year old Mustang here. Has always tested normal. Has all the same symptoms. Started Prascend two years ago this summer. Big improvement. My vet consulted with Cornell U. Their recommendation was to medicate. Find a vet that will give the meds a try.
                    Your had all the same symptoms as what I described?

Comment

There's a supplement called Heiro that works pretty well for a lot of horses. I'd try that first. A bunch of horses at a dressage barn I worked at were on it and I was impressed at how effective it was for a non--Rx. What really sealed the deal for me was when the pony foundered and we took her in to one of the best farriers in the mid-Atlantic and she recommended the Heiro as well.

Pergolide frankly scares me. It was originally developed as a drug to treat Parkinsons. In 2007 it was withdrawn from the U.S. market for human use after several studies revealed a link between the drug and increased valvular heart disease. Soon after being started on the drug, the pony suffered several unexplained episodes where her heart and respiration rates spiked through the roof. I've never seen anything like it and hope to God I never see it again. The first time, 20 seconds into a canter in a group lesson my daughter pulled the pony up crying that she was worried about her breathing. The trainer is a timber jockey/trainer and no doubt has seen horses red-line before. She went pale as a ghost and leapt into emergency mode. The vet chalked it up to being "out of shape". I called BS. The pony's workload hadn't changed. She had been doing 3-4 moderate-to-heavy lessons weekly for as long as I'd known her. Soon after, the pony collapsed while being wormed (we think she got lightheaded) and suffered a near-fatal incident of heat stroke while at rest in her stall. I don't doubt that there are cases where Pergolide is absolutely indicated. In borderline cases I personally would avoid it. The pony was asymptomatic other than heavier hair growth. She ballooned up and got the fatty crest AFTER starting Pergolide. It was the Heiro that seemed to bring relief.

IMO, drastic calorie restriction like some vets recommend is incorrect for Cushings horses that are in work. Severely limiting calories is linked to weight retention/weight gain in human dieters. Not that big a leap of logic that it could have the same effect on horses. High fat low starch diets have been used for the last decade as a means of getting sufficient calories into EPSM-prone draft horses. (We originated the whole vegetable/coca-soya oil thing) A low-starch feed like Triple Crown Senior with some flax seed, a mineral supplement, and a few pumps of oil was what I got good results with for my big pulling horses. For Cushings, I would then do either bagged forage or grass hay that has been soaked.

Comment

As the last poster suggests I would definitely get onto the resources for feeding metabolic horses and figure out the recommended diet and supplements immediately even while contnuing to pursue the pharmaceutical end of things.

Comment

Which test was done, when, and what was the number?

If you are dealing with pre-Cushing's, no amount of messing with the diet will address that, you need pergolide (Prascend).

If his coat is just old age, and you're dealing with rising insulin resistance issues, then while testing is a nice thing to have so you can monitor progress, you can still feed a horse as if he's majorly IR even if he's not, without any harm.

Comment

I can't imagine working with a vet that "can't" prescribe a trial of medication for my horse based on symptoms and not test results. "Can't" - why not? Who is stopping them? It sounds like you are a teenager and they need your parent's permission.

What is the vet's explanation and recommendation for 15 year old horse with muscle atrophy, hoof abscesses and changes in coat? Is the vet recommending something else - e.g. other diagnostics - and not willing to just treat for Cushings before other things? Or is there no recommendation, no further testing, and no medication?

When did you test and what were the results?

I feel like we might be missing out on more of the conversation. Or, the vet is really bad. I just can't imagine my vet clinic telling me there is nothing to do, and unwilling to do a medication trial, sorry...nope!

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                              I can't imagine working with a vet that "can't" prescribe a trial of medication for my horse based on symptoms and not test results. "Can't" - why not? Who is stopping them? It sounds like you are a teenager and they need your parent's permission.
                              Maybe because there are standards and rules to follow to prevent abuse of prescribing medication unnecessarily?

https://www.fda.gov/forpatients/othe...el/default.htm

I know that there are posters here who feel they are more knowledgeable than educated and credentialed experts, but there are valid reasons for refusing to prescribe a medication off-label, mainly unanticipated side effects.

"It is important to know that before a drug can be approved, a company must submit clinical data and other information to FDA for review. The company must show that the drug is safe and effective for its intended uses. "Safe" does not mean that the drug has no side effects. Instead, it means the FDA has determined the benefits of using the drug for a particular use outweigh the potential risks."

Comment

Originally posted by Pocketpony View Post

Your had all the same symptoms as what I described?
                                Yes. With the exception of the hoof abscesses. He didn't shed until late June, started winter coat in August. Curly hair in weird places, horrible loss of topline. He has had on and off hoof issues, laminitis, foot sore. Muscle wasting, increased drinking/urination, runny eyes. We always thought he was lazy, but in hindsight, I think he also had some exercise intolerance. My vet was hesitant to treat as well, but Cornell University said that they recommend a trial period on Prascend to see if symptoms improve. The medication helped, it took about a month to see a noticeable change. Vets words to me: 'If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......'

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

Maybe because there are standards and rules to follow to prevent abuse of prescribing medication unnecessarily?

https://www.fda.gov/forpatients/othe...el/default.htm

I know that there are posters here who feel they are more knowledgeable than educated and credentialed experts, but there are valid reasons for refusing to prescribe a medication off-label, mainly unanticipated side effects.

"It is important to know that before a drug can be approved, a company must submit clinical data and other information to FDA for review. The company must show that the drug is safe and effective for its intended uses. "Safe" does not mean that the drug has no side effects. Instead, it means the FDA has determined the benefits of using the drug for a particular use outweigh the potential risks."
                                  This has nothing to do with approved or not, on label or off. Many vets have looked at a horse and used common sense and experience instead of relying 100% on numbers to tell them what to do.

MANY vets have looked at the horse in front of them, not the numbers on paper, and said "if it's walking and talking like a duck, let's try this and see if it really IS a duck", especially when the treatment will have no harm for the relatively short duration of the trial period.

Many vets have absolutely prescribed Prascend for a trial period when the horse is presenting all the right symptoms, even in the face of a test saying "no". We have learned a great deal about Cushing's and its presentations and how some horses are showing external symptoms long before their test results are showing issues. It's not like this would be uncharted territory. It's not like guessing wrong is going to kill the horse or cause a whole different set of serious complications. We know this, because this has been done before. Many times.

And if the horse has no improvement of symptoms? No problem, wean off the Prascend and regroup.

And please note, I am NOT saying this horse MUST be put on Prascend to see what happens. We all still need to know which test(s) were done when, and what the results were.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

And please note, I am NOT saying this horse MUST be put on Prascend to see what happens. We all still need to know which test(s) were done when, and what the results were.

Good thing since you are not a veterinarian and learned everything via an online home study program. Hopefully the OP is getting recommendations from real people with real credentials instead of online anonymous posters!

This is how the anit-vaxers succeeded in spreading their misinformation regarding the necessity and safety of childhood vaccines. They do not have formal educations and are self-educated proclaimed experts and said things that made enough sense to some people that they did not get their children vaccinated. Please, people, if you have a real medical condition, consult with professionals who truly know what they are doing. OP, if you want a second opinion then get one, but take what you read online with a grain or three of salt since few people here have the expertise or credentials to tell you whether or not your horse needs medication right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

Good thing since you are not a veterinarian and learned everything via an online home study program. Hopefully the OP is getting recommendations from real people with real credentials instead of online anonymous posters!

This is how the anit-vaxers succeeded in spreading their misinformation regarding the necessity and safety of childhood vaccines. They do not have formal educations and are self-educated proclaimed experts and said things that made enough sense to some people that they did not get their children vaccinated. Please, people, if you have a real medical condition, consult with professionals who truly know what they are doing. OP, if you want a second opinion then get one, but take what you read online with a grain or three of salt since few people here have the expertise or credentials to tell you whether or not your horse needs medication right now.
                                      You are the one who states things shouldn't happen. If you can read for comprehension, I have never said "do it". I have never said "oh that horse has Cushing's even though I've never seen him and am not a vet". You're the one who makes blanket statements, maybe based on personal experience, maybe based on things you read.

And yet, all around you, there are situations that disprove your blanket statements.

My vet was hesitant to treat as well, but Cornell University said that they recommend a trial period on Prascend to see if symptoms improve. The medication helped, it took about a month to see a noticeable change. Vets words to me: 'If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.......'
                                      All around you, and right on the threads where you make those "this is how it's done in my world therefore that's how it must be done everywhere", you are proven wrong.

Tell me again where I've spread misinformation. You keep making these accusations of things I say, yet when asked to point out specifics, so that I can either admit I was wrong (and really, isn't that your whole goal, find out why and where I'm wrong?) or to make clarifying statements, it's crickets. Every time. So tell me, where have I "anti-vaxxed" this thread? Where have I not asked questions? Where have *I* said "why isn't your vet doing a trial treatment for Cushing's just to see"? Where have I said "your horse has Cushing's?"

You make the argument that unless the numbers are definitive for X issues, a vet should not prescribe Y medication. Thank goodness good vets don't subscribe to your theory of medicine. And right on this thread, there are examples of good vets who did just what clearly freaks you out, and the horses are better off for it. Medicine is never an exact science, and thank goodness there are vets and doctors who understand that.

I hope the OP DOES seek other professional opinions, and that will ( hopefully) happen in large part because those on this thread have urged her to. I would hate to think her horse may continue to suffer the consequences of unchecked Cushing's until the numbers blow up in everyone's face just because a vet is a "by the book" person who won't prescribe without absolute facts.

And despite the fact that you believe only vets can have the knowledge of certain issues, there are non-vets who have been around enough horses with that issue that they know more than the vets, and help educate vets. How about that. Book learning is not the only game in town.

Comment

It's usually a big red flag when someone with no credentials claims that those who have taken the time - years of time in many cases - and money to obtain the education and degrees to make their livelihood out of caring for people or animals, don't have as much knowledge as the self educated. Unfortunately, when you are self educating online, there is no structure of what to learn and when to learn it, so you are putting things together piecemeal. You don't know what gaps are there, and since you are not getting tested, or have no professional assistance, you don't know what gaps are in your knowledge, or even that you might be wrong.

People, please be very wary of what you read online, unless it is from a reputable source, and especially when the health and welfare of you, your family or your animals is at stake. Some people mean well, but when you are self educated, you simply don't know what you don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                        X