Sport Horse Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Walter Moore rear view

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How healthy is it for a horse to go 8-9 hours a day without forage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a reason you won't feed him grain?
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can you put two slow feed hay nets in the turn out? That might slow the hoover horse down and give your horse the chance to eat.

I also recommend feeding grain. Very hard to keep weight on TBs without.

Comment

Figure out whether the cost of 2 slow feed hay nets plus hay for 2 horses (assuming they will allow the QH to eat some hay during the day) is cheaper than moving the TB to board in a place that suits his needs better.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
          Is there a reason you won't feed him grain?
          His hooves where bad on grain, couldnt get rid of the whiteline disease and where soft but when on a grain free diet his hooves improved alot

Comment

Originally posted by Callie1993 View Post
            His hooves where bad on grain, couldnt get rid of the whiteline disease and where soft but when on a grain free diet his hooves improved alot
            What grain was being fed? A high-quality, low-NSC feed like Triple Crown Senior (or even a ration balancer if he doesn't need additional calories) should not create hoof problems.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Amy3996 View Post

What grain was being fed? A high-quality, low-NSC feed like Triple Crown Senior (or even a ration balancer if he doesn't need additional calories) should not create hoof problems.
              I tried the triple crown senior, sentinel ls and a few others and his feet never got better till I removed the grain, I feed him coolstance copra and his feet do fine on that

Comment

Can you muzzle the other horse?

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post
                  Figure out whether the cost of 2 slow feed hay nets plus hay for 2 horses (assuming they will allow the QH to eat some hay during the day) is cheaper than moving the TB to board in a place that suits his needs better.
                  I agree.

In this situation, increasing the calories to keep the weight on your horse would be easiest while he is stalled. This still leaves the situation of 8-9 hours without anything to eat, and it's not something I would accept. I would be looking for some low calorie (and hopefully much cheaper) hay that you could put out for both horses in small hole hay nets. Hopefully this wouldn't put much weight on the other horse, and would be acceptable to the owner.

Is there anywhere you could store a round bale, or perhaps under a tarp? Buying and storing a round bale, and filling nets from this would cut down the cost dramatically.

The only other way to do it would be to separate the turnout area, but I doubt the owner would want that.

If I couldn't do either of those, I'd definitely move the horse.

Comment

I am assuming that the cost to house your horse at the relative’s is far cheaper than boarding. In any case, add up the cost of purchasing low calorie and cheaper (but still decent quality) hay for the two horses, as well as the cost of at least two slow feed hay nets (I might even opt for more than two slow feed nets scattered about in case the easy keeper hoovers his and steals from yours), and compare that to the cost of boarding elsewhere. I know you don’t want to feed your relative’s horse, but perhaps doing so might be cheaper than moving.

ETA: basically what joiedevie99 already said.

Comment

No matter what is recommended here, the question is really: What are the relatives willing to do? Should they be of the mind set "I have been looking after Fluffy in this manner for 10 years, and she is fine, no need to change anything" any recommendations are pointless.

I would have a discussion with relatives. Your choices may well be adapt, or move.

Comment

Yeah I would discuss with the relatives. Let them know that if you can't figure out a way for your horse to get forage during the day without their horse eating it all, you will have to move to a different place. In which case their horse will be alone, which was their reasoning for not wanting to do separate turnout times.

I am a bit confused about the feed, like TCS, causing bad feet issues though. I've never heard of that before, doesn't really make sense. Wonder if it might not be a bad idea to still get on some kind of grain like that but add in a supplement like platinum performance or farrier's formula.

Comment

• Original Poster

I wish I could just move him but theres no boarding place in the area that has a riding arena, he would just end up being a pasture ornament

Comment

Not an ideal situation by any means, I suggest that you take measures to increase your horse’s caloric intake when in the stall. Get a hay net that will hold an entire bale, put it in a water tank and tie it to a ring you install at the bottom of the back wall of the tank. Put a few loose flakes on top at night fro immediate intake when he comes in.

Increase the calories in the am by making a soaked mash of the alfalfa cubes and stabilized high fat rice bran.

Start aggressively getting weight on your your horse now, don’t wait until it gets colder.

and start looking for a place to board that has higher standards for horse care.

Comment

• Original Poster

So I bought some cheaper hay to throw to both horses so my horse at least has something in his belly during the day, I put out enough to where the other horse cant eat it all and it seems to be working out okay so far

Comment

I hope it works out well for you. Sounds like a very frustrating experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Callie1993 View Post
                                  Correlation is not causation.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

I agree with Janet, Did you speak to a vet about the white line and what was causing it? I'm not sure how grain was diagnosed as the issue. Is it actual white line disease, or is it weak hoof wall structure?
                                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you won't feed grain, why don't you feed him alf pellets? Give him a big bucket of them at night. Hay alone, even free choice hay, is often NOT enough for a hard keeper. And do ulcer meds! I agree with PNWjumper that ulcers can cause hard keeping, and that if he has free choice hay all night a few hours during the day without is not a big deal. Horses don't graze all day, they spend a lot of time standing around.

Comment

• Original Poster

The last couple of weeks I have been considering selling him because he is costing me so much money but I have gotten really attached to him.
                                        Out of all the horses I have owned hes the one I have the most connection with and he is so good under saddle.

Comment

You're boarding with a relative and feeding "cheaper hay" with no grain, and this is "so much money"?

May I ask how old you are, OP?

Comment

Working...
                                          X