• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Competent Boarding Barns?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competent Boarding Barns?

Last edited by Maude; Jan. 13, 2019, 02:28 PM.

Originally posted by Maude View Post
    I've found that the beautiful facility doesn't always go hand in hand with good care and knowledgeable people. And alot of times the quality of the trainer/facility don't jive either. I don't think there is an answer, so I guess I'm just venting...
    You're definitely correct that a beautiful facility does not guarantee quality care or a competent trainer. It's really difficult to find a really good barn. Some of it is boarders' unwillingness/ability to pay a monthly board that will adequately support the care/facilities they expect.

There are good facilities out there, sometimes you just need to reset your expectations (need vs. want). I personally am not impressed by beautiful facilities because some of the worst care I ever had was at those barns. The hands down best care I ever had was in the most ramshackle barn with no real facilities, but the care was exemplary and my horses were so happy there.

Comment

It is a case-by-case type of thing. But I have found better care in small to medium sized facilities where there is an owner-manager who is active with horses. The larger places often had more hired help with less knowledge, accountability, and flexibility.

Of course it is important that you can get along with the owner and the basic horse keeping style in the smaller place since that isn't going to change, but if it is a good match I found that easier than dealing with a changing array of employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainer View Post

Some of it is boarders' unwillingness/ability to pay a monthly board that will adequately support the care/facilities they expect.
        That's my experience for the few years that I took in boarders at my small private facility (7 stalls). Champagne taste on a beer budget. I gave each horse the personal attention and care that I would my own and of course people liked that idea. I have a nice indoor with carefully maintained footing, grass pastures that are not overgrazed, good electric fence, quality hay grown right on the farm, live on-site.

BUT... they always brought up the places in the area that were bottom of the barrel on price (and often on care too). Some opted to go to these places. That's certainly their prerogative. For whatever reason, my place was not a match for their (limited budget) wants. Later they groused about the horses just being thrown out in a weedy field. (Grain was extra, had to keep the water buckets full themselves, no shelter from the bugs or sleet and snow, on and on...)

Care=time. Time=money (whether that's to pay for help or compensate the barn owner for their labor.) They'd balk at a $5 or $10 charge to hold their horse for the vet or farrier so they didn't have to take time from their job in the middle of a day. They'd want extra bedding and hay to take to a one day show and expect it to be free. You get the idea.

My prices were by no means the highest in the area either. I offered most of services and facility that much more expensive show barns in our area offered. Pretty much the only thing I didn't offer was an onsite trainer. (And yes, people balked when I required the trainer they wanted to bring in to be fully insured.)

When I finally decided I was tired of being taken for granted and working for the privilege of supporting someone else's horse habit, I gave 60 days notice to all that I was closing. They still balked - couldn't they just still keep their horse at my place and hire so and so (inexperienced teenager usually) to care for their horse here. It would be so much work and stress to take care of the horse at home. Or the care at ____ place was crappy. Yaaa???

Sorry, no. I am done.

No regrets. I'm loving the peace and quiet of my lovely facility and don't mind having a few empty stalls down the aisle. They neither complain nor cost me money.

Comment

• Original Poster

I expect to pay well for what I'm asking. It just seems that even though you pay for that you still don't always get what you're paying for.

Comment

This is why I bought my own farm.
            "The best of any breed is the thoroughbred horse..." - GHM

http://www.mmeqcenter.com/sale.html

Comment

I expect to pay well for what I'm asking. It just seems that even though you pay for that you still don't always get what you're paying for.
              Sure you do - you get help that works for $10 an hour. If you are at a high end show barn and your horse is assigned a groom, you may get what you are looking for, because that groom is being paid more and may recognize problems with the horse when they first show up. But at most boarding barns, the people who are mucking stalls and turning horses out and bringing them in may not notice a problem at it's inception.

And mmeqcenter has it right - if you want something done the way you want it done, you usually have to do it yourself. I have a wonderful farm sitter who unfortunately is not great with lameness, and missed a horse that was laminitic. She just assumed the horse was a bit footsore due to hard ground and did not alert me. Since I have a ton of experience and know my horses inside and out, I can spot an inconsistency instantly and be on top of it.
              "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

@Maude have you tried Shadow Creek Farm in Chadds Ford? https://shadowcreekfarm.com/
                "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Comment

Generally all that lovely board money you're forking out doesn't trickle down to the boots-on-the-ground employees. So you're not really paying for them to go over your horse with a fine-tooth comb—they're working for McDonalds wages and are expected to clean stalls, turn out, and feed. You're mostly paying for the property upkeep and equipment, mortgage (if applicable), and feed. And salary dollars for the barn owner.

If you want eagle eyes on your horse, I recommend tipping well and often, and always being nice, so that the employee is thinking about your horse's health every day. Should it be this way? No, but that's the way the world works.
                  "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

Originally posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post

Generally all that lovely board money you're forking out doesn't trickle down to the boots-on-the-ground employees. So you're not really paying for them to go over your horse with a fine-tooth comb—they're working for McDonalds wages and are expected to clean stalls, turn out, and feed. You're mostly paying for the property upkeep and equipment, mortgage (if applicable), and feed. And salary dollars for the barn owner.

If you want eagle eyes on your horse, I recommend tipping well and often, and always being nice, so that the employee is thinking about your horse's health every day. Should it be this way? No, but that's the way the world works.
                    Yup, this is so true. I worked in other people's barns for years when I was in university and law school. I am NOT trying to be snooty, but I was a lot different than my "lifer" barn worker coworkers. I was doing the job to make money during school and it was often a break from studying and sitting still all week, so I loved it. I also love horses and I am a super passionate learner. I worked with performance horses, stallions, broodmares, and foals. I got to learn the breeding world inside and out and then switched gears to show horses. I like to think I am a halfway decent horse person. So even though I was just a general barn worker/stall mucker, I would often notice issues--horse was lethargic, horse didn't eat their grain, horse pulled a shoe, whatever--things that my coworkers would literally walk right by. They just wouldn't notice, either because they didn't know what to look for (that type of education takes money and time to acquire, through riding lessons, etc) or because they just didn't want to do deal with it. Of course, it doesn't help that almost every barn is perpetually understaffed--there is usually JUST enough manpower to get the daily chores done, and if anything else comes up, people are staying late. That is the nature of horses, but when you are working for minimum wage in the cold/heat/rain/snow, the last thing you want to do is stay longer.

I was talking to a boarder of mine who has worked in barns for years while a student herself, and has also worked with her dad doing construction. She told me barn work is MUCH harder than construction--it's way more physically demanding and relentless, and of course you are also handling live animals AND often have to have a bit of customer service skill as well, if working in a boarding barn (I was always expected to be polite and helpful towards the boarders, I didn't get to just ignore them and do my own thing). Guess which one pays more and gets more respect as a profession? Construction, for sure. (And just to be clear, she doesn't have any specific trade skills, so she is doing general labour.)

So while I sympathize with not being able to find good care, I 100% understand why and how it happens. Unfortunately, paying people a true living wage to work in a barn would often make owning a horse unreasonably expensive for most people. I agree a smaller barn with fewer staff members is likely going to provide better care than a big barn with constantly rotating workers. You may also have to compromise on facilities to get the care you want. The barn I run is in a rental facility, so I am a bit constrained as to what I am able/willing to do in terms of improvements since it isn't my property. My indoor arena is small and the outdoor ring has a bit of slope to it. But we have lots of big pastures for turnout, safe barns and fences, and great hacking. The horses are all happy and well-fed. Every horse settles in and loves the place, and I have a great group of boarders, but have had some pass on boarding with me because the indoor arena is too small. It is a compromise, but one that could be worth it for your peace of mind if the horse can get better care at a less-fancy place.

Comment

Agreed, fancy and/or pricy does not equal Best Care.
                      I boarded at a showplace (with Country Club prices) where help failed to be concerned by hay stored in a separate barn - also used to quarantine the imported Sale horses - that smelled increasingly "Funny".
                      Only mentioned after the fact, when that barn burned to the ground before firefighters could get there.
                      Resident at the time were 3 pricy Sales prospects that were rescued resulting in 3rd Degree burns to Trainer who went in for them.

At another, far more modest barn, I once had to point out to the gal wheeling the grain cart down the aisle, that one of the boarders' horses was lying down & had failed to get up for approaching grain...
                      Yup, colicing.

Having worked in a couple barns & boarded at a variety before getting my own place, I promised myself I would NEVER buy into the Crazy that is some boarders.
                      So it goes both ways.

*friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I honestly think having your own place is the only way to keep some sanity, but I know that comes with its own problems. Some days I really appreciate being a boarder and being able to choose not to deal with horse things on any particular day. However the frustrations of having your horse fed improperly, not watered, left in a dirty stall all day, etc win out over the convenience IMO. I am hoping to buy or rent a facility soon.

Comment

Barn care is relentless and intensive work.

Costs for land, feed, and upkeep are high.

It is very hard to find barn help period let alone good barn help. Even if you pay them a bit better, they burn out.

The profit margin is slim.

If you want excellent care do self board.

Comment

I've always boarded at places with fussy barn owners (who were occasionally also the barn manager, but usually not.) keeping their own horses at the barn. These were more businesses than backyard barns, with anywhere from 15 to 30 horses. For the most part, it's been a great experience; there are always things I disagree with, usually a tendency to "bubble wrap" the horses a bit more, since these have mostly been dressage barns. In one barn, the barn owner's horses got more individualized care than the boarders' horses, which was annoying, but the care provided to boarders' horses was still very good. An owner who is actively riding and participating in barn activities will (or should) catch problems more quickly.

In barns where there has been a non-owner barn manager, they have always been really good, conscientious people, who stay around. The rest of the barn help has varied widely in terms of skill, turnover, etc. but there have only been one or two I'd say were actually bad. In general, barns that paid a bit more got better quality barn workers.

The shortage of barn workers concerns me, and could well drive an end to private boarding barns. I'm in a position of needing full-care board, because my hands are still trying to quit on me, and I'm probably facing several surgeries in the next 18 months or so. I trust the care of the current barn -- they will do well by my mare regardless of whether I'm around or not -- but it's expensive ($1XXX per month), and all the hand problems mean I may be retiring my mare anyway. DH is encouraging me to keep her there (he is a gem!), rather than taking a chance on a new, less expensive place before surgery and then having a difficult time moving on if the new place isn't good.
                            You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I prioritize what is important. I don't expect it all. I accept not deep bedding over the mat in his stall in return for amazing turnout and access to great trails. No arena lights at night but an adequate indoor. I pay someone who is there daily to check on him.
                              A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
                                This is why I bought my own farm.
                                To be quite honest a lot of people could buy their own place for what they are being charged in board.

I know it depends on your region, but the price to board is outrageous ( from the many boarding threads here) and in a majority of those places they won't even supply all the hay your horse needs.

Comment

Originally posted by candyappy View Post

To be quite honest a lot of people could buy their own place for what they are being charged in board.

I know it depends on your region, but the price to board is outrageous ( from the many boarding threads here) and in a majority of those places they won't even supply all the hay your horse needs.
                                  And then they have to either totally re-organize their life to accommodate all the chores associated with having a horse at home or pay someone to do those chores for them at home....

Which for many people is not really an option.

In my part of the world, where an indoor is needed to accomplish anything during the winter, I know I can not afford to build an indoor or to buy a place that had an indoor. That is another reason many people might not want to make the leap to not boarding anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

And then they have to either totally re-organize their life to accommodate all the chores associated with having a horse at home or pay someone to do those chores for them at home....

Which for many people is not really an option.

In my part of the world, where an indoor is needed to accomplish anything during the winter, I know I can not afford to build an indoor or to buy a place that had an indoor. That is another reason many people might not want to make the leap to not boarding anymore.
                                    I've never found horse keeping at home complicated, but I know other people live a totally different life than I do.

Comment

I've been lucky to find a self board barn close to where I live in the suburbs that has an indoor and outdoor lighted rings, and my work schedule is flexible enough that I can do self board. I can't imagine giving that amount of attention and etc to a whole barn full of horses, though.

In our region, five acres is going to cost at least $5 million (a condo costs $500,000), so buying land is not an option.

Our barn is a club that gets land in a park free from the municipality.

When I consider other sports, I am always surprised that horse back riding is the one sport that has remained firmly within the private sector, because of its agricultural ties. Every other expensive sport is subsidized to some extent, including tennis, swimming, skating. They aren't expensive now because the civic government provides the facilities that otherwise would be very expensive to build and maintain! Even sailing has some nonprofit access aspects to it.

The cost of land is driving agricultural business further from the cities, which includes horses. The fact that virtually all riding stables are private business means they have to not only cover their costs, but also provide an income for the owner. That may not be sustainable in many markets, if land costs are high but income of clients is not that high.

It is a conundrum for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                        I've been lucky to find a self board barn close to where I live in the suburbs that has an indoor and outdoor lighted rings, and my work schedule is flexible enough that I can do self board. I can't imagine giving that amount of attention and etc to a whole barn full of horses, though.

In our region, five acres is going to cost at least $5 million (a condo costs $500,000), so buying land is not an option.

Our barn is a club that gets land in a park free from the municipality.

When I consider other sports, I am always surprised that horse back riding is the one sport that has remained firmly within the private sector, because of its agricultural ties. Every other expensive sport is subsidized to some extent, including tennis, swimming, skating. They aren't expensive now because the civic government provides the facilities that otherwise would be very expensive to build and maintain! Even sailing has some nonprofit access aspects to it.

The cost of land is driving agricultural business further from the cities, which includes horses. The fact that virtually all riding stables are private business means they have to not only cover their costs, but also provide an income for the owner. That may not be sustainable in many markets, if land costs are high but income of clients is not that high.

It is a conundrum for sure.
                                        Costs are rising and the input of new participants is falling. If a kid can't do it on device it doesn't get done. So the "new blood" supply is not very strong. This puts pressure on across the board (boarding, hay production, tack sales, etc.).

When we moved to the TN Valley in 1990 there were north of two dozen barns within a reasonable distance (say 30 min.) of the house. Now I can count not more than half dozen and some of those seem to be "in business in name only." There were 3 or 4 tack shops plus the co-op. Now there is one feed dealer with a tack section and the co-op.* There were at least three feed dealers, maybe more, in that same 30 min. time line and now there is one. Vets are down by about half. Fewer farriers, as well, and no one new has tried to enter the business around here in a couple of years.

The is, maybe, one hay seller around here that still deals primarily in horse hay. I'm not sure if he grows it or buys it for resale.

The long term future of the equine art is not looking so bright right now.

G.

*I've not followed it in any detail, but it seems that there has been some consolidation in the on-line/mail order tack world as well. One of the big mail independents, Libertyville Tack in IL (this is the generic name) is gone (or taken over).
                                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Working...
                                        X