Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Any update on Triple Crown Senior quality control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, I am in GA and noticed a change in TCS with my guy and not in a good way. Have always used it. On Strategy GX now and good with it.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Comment

Originally posted by wsmoak View Post
      No issues other than I am seeing the occasional piece of whole corn. I assume it's from not cleaning the equipment in between products.
      This is actually because feed mills generally use whole corn to clean the equipment between batches, it knocks the crumbles & chunks out of corners & conveyors. I asked TC about something else & they sent me a ton of great info about the process & answered questions I had. Mills also run feeds from most to least sensitive, so for example a feed for highly allergic animals would be milled first while something any goat could choke down would go last. (don't hate me, goat keepers, it's just an example)

I don't feed Senior, just Complete & Balancer, but haven't had any problems in NC . The single piece of corn doesn't bother me, especially now that I understand where it came from, it's easily visible so I just toss it in the grass for deer or squirrels.

Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

The only quality control issue I have noticed is that my Triple Crown Senior did not clump nearly as badly this winter as it did last winter. I never had to chisel it out of the trash can, not even during an extended deep freeze. I consider that a positive!

I also feed their 30% Ration Balancer; no quality control issues, I just wish it tasted better for the horses. It's the only RB I've used where the horses are like, "meh." I don't know why they find it so much less palatable than the competitors, but that's not a new problem.

I haven't seen much of any corn. I've fed a lot of brands of feed over the years, and occasionally corn is pretty consistent across all brands because of what Wildlifer mentioned.
        Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I don't think I've ever noticed an issue in QC with TC Senior. I'm in MA.

Comment

I had 2 hard bags over the winter out of probably 30 bags. It was fine for the most part. Hard bags were super hard though, had to wack them with a 2x4 to get them scoopable

Comment

No issues here in NC. I find the occasional corn kernel that I toss out which doesn't bother me. I do have some bags where the feed is more "sticky" than others. Sometimes I think this might be because of how the bags were stored -- warmer temps made the molasses softer. Hasn't seemed to affect the quality of those bags of feed though.
              "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Comment

I had only a couple of dry bags and then the quality was back to normal. However, just this past week found a large piece of paper bagging and a large wood splinter just about as long as my index finger and half as wide.
                Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook

Comment

Last sack I bought for the handful I feed to carry the thyroid supplement powder, the store was out of Safe Choice senior, so bought TC senior.

Horse gobbles it even faster than the other.
                  He loves it, must be the extra molasses.
                  Also the powder sticks to this feed better.
                  Am on the second bag and have only found a bit of hard packed small chunks, maybe a handful per bag.

Most commercial rations by national companies are farmed out to local mills.
                  The resulting feed quality depends on those mills and not all mills are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    Last sack I bought for the handful I feed to carry the thyroid supplement powder, the store was out of Safe Choice senior, so bought TC senior

Most commercial rations by national companies are farmed out to local mills.
                    The resulting feed quality depends on those mills and not all mills are the same.
                    No, most commercial rations are manufactured by the company who owns the brand. Every large feed company (Purina, Cargill, Kent, ADM, Hubbard, Ridley and more) in the U.S. has their own regional mills. They control ingredient quality and safety, as well as traceability. They also control manufacturing standards and processes that way, i.e. batch sequencing, medications that are in the mill, quality assurance, etc. Some products are only manufactured in specific mills due to specialized equipment or ingredients.

The finished product is then shipped reasonable distances between mills.

There are instances of toll milling, but they are not all that common, especially in producing equine feeds, due to possible medication contamination.
                    "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post

No, most commercial rations are manufactured by the company who owns the brand. Every large feed company (Purina, Cargill, Kent, ADM, Hubbard, Ridley and more) in the U.S. has their own regional mills. They control ingredient quality and safety, as well as traceability. They also control manufacturing standards and processes that way, i.e. batch sequencing, medications that are in the mill, quality assurance, etc. Some products are only manufactured in specific mills due to specialized equipment or ingredients.

The finished product is then shipped reasonable distances between mills.

There are instances of toll milling, but they are not all that common, especially in producing equine feeds, due to possible medication contamination.
                      Good to know today is different and those companies stand behind their products no matter where made.

Didn't use to be that way.

Comment

Good to know today is different and those companies stand behind their products no matter where made.

Didn't use to be that way.
                        They actually also hold on to retained samples.

Feed bags are with tagged or have the bag or sealing strip printed with coding that tells you when and where the product was made. Most feed companies participate in the Safe Feed, Safe Food program as a way of keeping our nation's food supply safe.

http://safefeedsafefood.org/main/cer...facilities.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post

They actually also hold on to retained samples.

Feed bags are with tagged or have the bag or sealing strip printed with coding that tells you when and where the product was made. Most feed companies participate in the Safe Feed, Safe Food program as a way of keeping our nation's food supply safe.

http://safefeedsafefood.org/main/cer...facilities.cfm
                          Decades ago, we feed weanling calves Purina pellets.
                          They were to deliver them into big self feeders, first time we tried that.
                          A local mill made them for Purina.

Someone didn't manage the delivery properly.
                          Pellets sat in the truck in the rain and some of them molded, waiting for delivery.
                          We lost almost 50 calves to those moldy pellets.
                          At that time, according to the dealers that sold the feed, the Purina regional representative and the local dealer, Purina was not responsible, the mill was.
                          We never got any reparation for any of that loss, had already paid the bill on delivery.
                          Our then older vet is who had the samples and had sent them on for testing.
                          He didn't want to go to court to decide who was at fault here.
                          We honored that, at a total loss all around.

Have since heard of other such situations where the mills were contracting for the big companies.
                          Those companies didn't have the control of the mill we tended to assume.
                          ???????Or stand the liability their name implies behind their products.

Interesting that today they have different protocols they follow, so that doesn't happen.

Comment

Decades ago, we feed weanling calves Purina pellets.
                            They were to deliver them into big self feeders, first time we tried that.
                            A local mill made them for Purina.

Someone didn't manage the delivery properly.
                            Pellets sat in the truck in the rain and some of them molded, waiting for delivery.
                            We lost almost 50 calves to those moldy pellets.
                            At that time, according to the dealers that sold the feed, the Purina regional representative and the local dealer, Purina was not responsible, the mill was.
                            We never got any reparation for any of that loss, had already paid the bill on delivery.
                            Our then older vet is who had the samples and had sent them on for testing.
                            He didn't want to go to court to decide who was at fault here.
                            We honored that, at a total loss all around.

Have since heard of other such situations where the mills were contracting for the big companies.
                            Those companies didn't have the control of the mill we tended to assume.
                            Or stand the liability their name implies behind their products.

Interesting that today they have different protocols they follow, so that doesn't happen.
                            I believe things changed greatly after the event of Mad Cow Disease, mainly in an effort to keep diseases like it from spreading to our food sources. PEDv in swine had also caused concern for what goes into feed as well, as feed was found to be a major way the disease was spread.

One of the top ten manufacturers of horse feed, that I worked for, can tell you what was hauled on the truck before it brought you its current load of ingredients, and where the truck was washed and cleaned out before your ingredients were loaded. And that is just ingredients! The company I worked for also had its own bulk trucks, again for quality control and assurance. If they are not your trucks, you cannot control what happens to the feed once it is loaded on to someone else's truck.

I don't think most people realize what steps feed manufacturers take to insure the safety of their product. Many complain about the cost of a bag of feed, and you can find cheaper feeds out there, but I can guarantee you that the cheaper feeds will not have the same quality control.

Comment

Working...
                            X