Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Birman1

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hemp Oil or CBD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Hemp oil is “extra” anti inflammatory because it has gamma linolenic acid, a super anti inflammatory. Better than flax oil but also more expensive.

More information from somone more qualified than I:

The seeds themselves have slightly less than three times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acid. While this fatty acid profile of hemp seeds doesn’t match the higher omega-3 content of flaxseeds, the hemp provides an omega-6 fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is somewhat unique among omega-6 fatty acids in that, unlike most omega-6 fats, research shows it supports anti-inflammatory processes in other animals. It’s not found in flaxseed or other oils commonly fed to horses, whereas in hemp oil GLA makes up about 3% of the fat composition. Fat from hemp oil is about 76% polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) as compared to flax oil, which is about 66% PUFA. Reports suggest horses find hemp oil very palatable.

https://thehorse.com/167382/hemp-for...fety-and-uses/
    Do you understand what you posted? GLA is NOT an anti-inflammatory. It is USED by the body in the anti-inflammatory process. Medications like bute ARE anti-inflammatories. There is absolutely NO research to support hemp oil or CBA reduces inflammation.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

I am a big believer in CBD (chemically extracted from plant flower, not seeds). My basic understanding of CBD is as follows. Our bodies' nervous system includes the endocannabinoid system, which relays sensory information to our brain's cannabinoid receptors to increase/decrease chemicals in our body that make us feel good/bad. CBD (cannabidiol aka phytocannabinoid) modulates our bodies' cannabinoid receptors by inhibiting receptors that make us feel bad (ie pain, inflammation, anxiety, stress, etc.), activating receptors that make us feel good, and otherwise balancing the body's endocannabinoid system, leading to feeling a general sense of well being.

Anyhoo... I swear by it for my dog's degenerative joint disease. It works better than ibuprofin for my nagging back aches, and helps my husband get a more restful sleep. It is gaining traction in traditional medical world too, as my 71yo mother was just prescribed cbd by her ortho surgeon for post foot surgery.

My final thoughts. All cbd products are not created equal, it takes time to research reputable products, and you get what you pay for. But, it's not snake oil, despite what some people may think.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Conway View Post
        I am a big believer in CBD (chemically extracted from plant flower, not seeds). My basic understanding of CBD is as follows. Our bodies' nervous system includes the endocannabinoid system, which relays sensory information to our brain's cannabinoid receptors to increase/decrease chemicals in our body that make us feel good/bad. CBD (cannabidiol aka phytocannabinoid) modulates our bodies' cannabinoid receptors by inhibiting receptors that make us feel bad (ie pain, inflammation, anxiety, stress, etc.), activating receptors that make us feel good, and otherwise balancing the body's endocannabinoid system, leading to feeling a general sense of well being.

Anyhoo... I swear by it for my dog's degenerative joint disease. It works better than ibuprofin for my nagging back aches, and helps my husband get a more restful sleep. It is gaining traction in traditional medical world too, as my 71yo mother was just prescribed cbd by her ortho surgeon for post foot surgery.

My final thoughts. All cbd products are not created equal, it takes time to research reputable products, and you get what you pay for. But, it's not snake oil, despite what some people may think.
        I went down a bit of a rabbithole reading up on cannabinoid receptors. It sounds like a lot is still unknown at this point, despite the assured but simplistic claims of the various folks marketing and popularizing it.

I realize that cannabinoids are distinct from THC and not considered psychotropic. But IMHO a substance that contributes to "make us feel good" is indeed mood altering, if only on a very modest level.

Marijuana in general is a fascinating plant in that various strains and crops can vary so much in how they affect the user. However, I never used it consistently enough to run any kind of systematic investigation that way . It sounds like there is much more going on in the plant than just the known CBD and THC components.

From everything I read, I have to conclude that there is indeed a mood altering component to CBD, even if it isn't strong enough to be psychotropic. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and certainly it sounds more pleasant than the side effects of Robaxin or Tramadol. I think however in trying to distinguish CBD from "recreational marijuana" which is still illegal in many parts of the US, its proponents feel they need to overstate its non mood altering qualities. But my guess is that it works primarily by being a gentle mood alter and slight depressant of the central nervous system, and that is why it is effective for such a wide range of chronic conditions. That's absolutely fine, IMO, but I do feel that if the discussion of CBD was more upfront about this, there would be less mystification about what it can do and how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by horsegirl200 View Post
          Does anyone know how CBD/Hemp is viewed by USEF and/or FEI (in terms of legality in show horses)? Have there been any studies released regarding the effects of CBD/Hemp in horses?
          I would think that both organisations are going to follow, or have already done so, the CPMA (Canadian Parimutuel Association) on this one - no CBD or THC for any participant, equine or human. This came down when weed was legalised in Canada.

arktos19....back in the day when there was no testing for much of anything, I knew of a few horses that raced on weed and they raced well because it calmed them down enough to be handled on the track (read steered and rated) - the method was a Kleenex or two or toilet paper to in a bucket, add weed, and light then stick the bucket over the horse's muzzle and drape a towel around the relevant parts of horse and pail
          Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Originally posted by sk_pacer View Post

I would think that both organisations are going to follow, or have already done so, the CPMA (Canadian Parimutuel Association) on this one - no CBD or THC for any participant, equine or human. This came down when weed was legalised in Canada.

arktos19....back in the day when there was no testing for much of anything, I knew of a few horses that raced on weed and they raced well because it calmed them down enough to be handled on the track (read steered and rated) - the method was a Kleenex or two or toilet paper to in a bucket, add weed, and light then stick the bucket over the horse's muzzle and drape a towel around the relevant parts of horse and pail
            My trainer (who is my age) swears that cocaine first entered our city via the local racetrack, where it was being used as a painkiller on horses, and then the grooms started partying. Given our city, the reputation of the track, and the general timeline of drug use here, it's totally believable, though it may just be a fun story.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

My trainer (who is my age) swears that cocaine first entered our city via the local racetrack, where it was being used as a painkiller on horses, and then the grooms started partying. Given our city, the reputation of the track, and the general timeline of drug use here, it's totally believable, though it may just be a fun story.
              Well, I think it is a reasonable story because I had no experience with cocaine in the early 70s and by the late 70s, there were vats of it around the track it was so cheap people would soak tongue ties in the stuff, then they decided to put it into themselves and shortly after that, they started testing for it and caught a whack of people using it on horses

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

Do you understand what you posted? GLA is NOT an anti-inflammatory. It is USED by the body in the anti-inflammatory process. Medications like bute ARE anti-inflammatories. There is absolutely NO research to support hemp oil or CBA reduces inflammation.
                GLA is considered an anti-inflammatory because its metabolites initiate anti-inflammatory responses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17168669

That said, I'm yet to be convinced that hemp oil has enough GLA to make a physiological difference.
                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
                  Hemp oil is “extra” anti inflammatory because it has gamma linolenic acid, a super anti inflammatory. Better than flax oil but also more expensive.

More information from somone more qualified than I:

The seeds themselves have slightly less than three times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acid. While this fatty acid profile of hemp seeds doesn’t match the higher omega-3 content of flaxseeds, the hemp provides an omega-6 fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is somewhat unique among omega-6 fatty acids in that, unlike most omega-6 fats, research shows it supports anti-inflammatory processes in other animals. It’s not found in flaxseed or other oils commonly fed to horses, whereas in hemp oil GLA makes up about 3% of the fat composition. Fat from hemp oil is about 76% polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) as compared to flax oil, which is about 66% PUFA. Reports suggest horses find hemp oil very palatable.

https://thehorse.com/167382/hemp-for...fety-and-uses/
                  THANK YOU!!!!! This is the first I've heard of a mechanism of action, and I've searched for this online. Thank you!! Now I know what to investigate.

It SEEMS like it would cost a fortune to give this to something the size of a horse!

Comment

Janet Conway and @Scribbler: Scribbler , YES!!!!!!! Cannabinoid receptor 1 (our bodies normally make ligands for this receptor) surpresses GABA signalling in the brain, maybe the rest of the body. GABA does a TON. Receptor 2 plays a role in pain relief, and maybe this is what people notice in themselves and dogs.

But I totally agree with scribbler..what else is this doing to the body? One might feel better, but longer term, are there negative outcomes of hyperstimulating this pathway? They affect gene expression. No one knows the long term effects. And no one really knows what's in the stuff you buy (I'm skeptical about all batches from a company).

I asked you all because I have good friends (a couple) who got into CBD. They take it and swear by it's effects (more him than her). They give it to their dogs and swear by it's effects. They don't bother with the horses because they say it is so freakishly expensive. She now is a "distributor". She is a MBA but not a scientist, and I've never heard a real argument as to what CBD does other than catch-phrases. He's a very high level manager/director with natural science background, and keeps wondering why I don't try it. He says it makes him calmer and sleep better. OK, fine, but I wonder what else it is doing?! THANK YOU all for your input!!

Comment

Well, I think it is a reasonable story because I had no experience with cocaine in the early 70s and by the late 70s, there were vats of it around the track it was so cheap people would soak tongue ties in the stuff, then they decided to put it into themselves and shortly after that, they started testing for it and caught a whack of people using it on horses
                      Seriously? I can maybe understand a fit racehorse on pot (but didn't it effect their lungs?). But a racehorse on cocaine? How in hell was that horse handled? The poor horse? How many died from racing heart rates when racing? Oh my god!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Lu View Post

Seriously? I can maybe understand a fit racehorse on pot (but didn't it effect their lungs?). But a racehorse on cocaine? How in hell was that horse handled? The poor horse? How many died from racing heart rates when racing? Oh my god!
                        thing about cocaine and horses is there cannot be enough administered to do good/harm by the methods used; even a wet tongue tie can only hold a very small dose which was just enough to give a bad test. You don't shoot a horse up, nor can you induce it to snort the stuff like a human will do, so all it really produced was bad tests and the horses didn't do any better or worse than before; there are other, more insidious drugs that do not require a huge dose (think a horse size line and it is pretty huge). As to the weed, it was often used on heavey horses along with an old time remedy called Asthmador and it did clear the lungs and ease the breathing

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

I don’t have the time to do the research for your Palm Beach. If CBA is a typo (I think you’re referencing CBD) maybe you can find the article referenced below which says it could lower inflammation (ie anti inflammatory as opposed to something increasing inflammation and thus being inflammatory).

CBD may offer an option for treating different types of chronic pain. A study from the European Journal of Pain showed, using an animal model, CBD applied on the skin could help lower pain and inflammation due to arthritis. Another study demonstrated the mechanism by which CBD inhibits inflammatory and neuropathic pain, two of the most difficult types of chronic pain to treat. More study in humans is needed in this area to substantiate the claims of CBD proponents about pain control.
                          Not sure anyone confused hemp oil with bute in this discussion.

And here is a fun study with respect to topical application: http://www.eurannallergyimm.com/cont...116allasp1.pdf

Comment

thing about cocaine and horses is there cannot be enough administered to do good/harm by the methods used; even a wet tongue tie can only hold a very small dose which was just enough to give a bad test. You don't shoot a horse up, nor can you induce it to snort the stuff like a human will do, so all it really produced was bad tests and the horses didn't do any better or worse than before; there are other, more insidious drugs that do not require a huge dose (think a horse size line and it is pretty huge). As to the weed, it was often used on heavey horses along with an old time remedy called Asthmador and it did clear the lungs and ease the breathing
                            Cocaine was used as a topical anesthetic in 19th century human medicine so I always assumed that was it's race track use for horses. Like Hoof Freeze, numb an injury for the length of a race.

Comment

Yep, GLA is an active anti-inflammatory
                              https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19842026
                              "GLA significantly inhibited LPS-induced protein expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase, pro-interleukin-1beta, and cyclooxygenase-2 as well as nitric oxide production and the intracellular glutathione level. LA was less potent than GLA in inhibiting LPS-induced inflammatory mediators."

Originally posted by J-Lu View Post
                              That said, I'm yet to be convinced that hemp oil has enough GLA to make a physiological difference.
                              According to
                              https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-hemp
                              "The oil, which makes up half of the weight of the seeds, contains 75% essential fatty acids, of which:
                              • about 20% are the omega-3, alpha-linoleic acid (ALA)
                              • about 3% is gamma-linoleic acid (GLA)
                              • about 1% of the rising omega-3 fatty acid star, stearidonic acid (SDA)

This study in people found that 30mL hempseed oil for 20 weeks showed an increase in GLA. If we extrapolated that amount to a horse's weight, so let's say just 8x (140lb person, 1120lb horse) that means 240mL of the oil a day. Feasible? Sure. Economical? But obviously horses aren't people, they may metabolize these components differently, which might lower (or raise!) the dose needed.
                              https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2868018/

Comment

Interestingly there's another thread on CBD that has many posters saying how CBD helps their anxious dogs cats horses and indeed a few themselves.

That reinforces my suspicions that CBD isn't just working as an antiinflammatory. It's also working on the brain, mood altering. And that might be a big part of its pain relief mechanism. Which is fine.

But I just wish then people involved would be more honest about its mechanism. Right now it's being marketed as this wonder cure-all with no pschotroppic properties. But what if it mainly works by just getting you very gebtly buzzed and the anti-inflammatory aspect is neither here nor there?

Comment

And make sure you know that CBD oil and hemp seed oil, are not the same things.

Hemp oil may be CBD oil, but it may really be just hemp *seed* oil. Make sure you know what you're getting.

CBD oil is full spectrum hemp oil - other plant parts, not just the seeds.

Comment

Endocannabinoids are invloved in pain modulation, so the effects of CBD are more likely than not acting along those pathways, and not merely a collateral effect of any "mellowness" perceived.
                                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I am fascinated by this topic. I recently bought a jar of CBD oil (1000mg) and have found that it really does ease physical pain and I don't notice a mental difference at all. I'm sure it is affecting my brain but that's fine. I'm for anything that doesn't require more pills to go down my throat and that WORKS.

I'm going to look into the supplement mentioned for my one neurotic OTTB.

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha37 View Post
                                        I am fascinated by this topic. I recently bought a jar of CBD oil (1000mg) and have found that it really does ease physical pain and I don't notice a mental difference at all. I'm sure it is affecting my brain but that's fine. I'm for anything that doesn't require more pills to go down my throat and that WORKS.

I'm going to look into the supplement mentioned for my one neurotic OTTB.
                                        See, if you are planning to use it for a "neurotic" horse, you must believe it has some mood altering ability.

An example of an NSAID that doesn't seem to really alter moods would be Advil or Bute. You would never take Advil for your own anxiety or Bute a horse that was anxious but had no pain.

I think it's fine if CBD works in part by being mood altering. But if that's the case, then I wish people were upfront about this and not pretending that it only works on pain receptors. I get that this is a holdover from trying to prove that it is "medicinal" and not "recreational," a distinction that people felt they needed to make during the period that "medical" cannabis was OK but "recreational" illegal (still the case in many States).

But I want to know what things actually *do* before I take them, or use them on an animal. And I distrust the current discussions about CBD because I think there is a vested interest in people not being quite honest, and mystifying it's actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

See, if you are planning to use it for a "neurotic" horse, you must believe it has some mood altering ability.

An example of an NSAID that doesn't seem to really alter moods would be Advil or Bute. You would never take Advil for your own anxiety or Bute a horse that was anxious but had no pain.

I think it's fine if CBD works in part by being mood altering. But if that's the case, then I wish people were upfront about this and not pretending that it only works on pain receptors. I get that this is a holdover from trying to prove that it is "medicinal" and not "recreational," a distinction that people felt they needed to make during the period that "medical" cannabis was OK but "recreational" illegal (still the case in many States).

But I want to know what things actually *do* before I take them, or use them on an animal. And I distrust the current discussions about CBD because I think there is a vested interest in people not being quite honest, and mystifying it's actions.
                                          I'm curious how you feel about the use of Depo-Provera in show horses.
                                          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Working...
                                          X