• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Vaccinations/worming = threat to horse health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations/worming = threat to horse health?

Sorry I don't come here often but have a question/concern that I would like to hear opinions on-

I have 3 dogs and about 5 years ago - when I got my beloved Giant Schnauzer- the breeder made me sign a contract whereby the dog was not to receive vaccinations beyond 2 years of age and only got wormed if there was indication of the need for it.
    Recently I got into a semi-argument with my equine vet about vaccinations- as she likes to do every 3 month a whole battery of shots. To top it off - I recently consulted a quite well respected healer on the health level of my horse- and she confirmed that he had unnecessary liver strain- due to over vaccination.
    I since have researched the topic and would like to know if there are folks out there that feel alike and have recommendations.
    Specifically I would like know about

-organic wormers
    -required vaccinations vs. commonly assumed necessary vaccinations
    -any research in regards to cushings and over vaccinations
    -validity of titres to proove that sufficient antibodies are present to protect the horse.

Thank you all in advance for contributing.
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

I could go on a bit about this subject. At my advanced age (55), I am becoming a convert to holistic horsekeeping as a supplement to my (wonderful) equine vet. I am lucky to live in Austin, where we have a highly respected vet/guru. I highly recommend her website, holistichorsekeeping.com for discussions of your questions.

My personal take on holistic approaches is that you cannot learn too much about nutrition. And supplements and herbs are drugs, so we should not just throw them in the feed bucket without educating ourselves what they are.

I am a far cry from not worming or vaccinating, but I will say that I am struggling with a horse that developed headshaking after a flu/rhino vaccination. I am investigating whether it was the particular brand or type of vaccination, and if not, whether I should only do that vaccination in response to titer levels, not "just because".
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Dec. 30, 2007, 09:18 AM.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

my mare coliced and almost died right after getting West Nile shot in 2006. I did not give that shot this year, although I was concerned and nervous not to. There is no way I would give shots every 3 months. That sounds excessive to me.

I de-worm w/ ivermectin 3x Rotectin 1x, but would not feed daily dewormer and would not use Quest. I tried the 5 day Panacur one year, and will not be doing that again either. Mostly because by the 3rd day, the horses ran away from me

my horsey peeps think I'm nuts and reckless. I do not give my horses lots of vitamins, supplements, BOSS, paprika, garlic, seaweed, mushroom or anything other than selenium (oregon is lacking), lovely hay, a little grain mix, and fresh clean water. Less is more.

they are in fine flesh. their coats gleam like new money.

Comment

I could go on about this subject, too.

You have to consider, in EACH AND EVERY health-based decision you make for you or your loved ones, RISK VS. BENEFIT.

Parasites were once an enormous problem for horses, causing innumerable colics and other health issues.

Same for communicable diseases. Although we don't have ideal vaccinations for every disease or even ANY vaccines for many diseases, the ones we have are by and large SAFE. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule and you will ALWAYS hear those tales loudly and clearly. The vast, enormous majority of people who vaccinate regularly and have no problems whatsoever RARELY speak up.

Ever seen a dog die of parvovirus? I have. NOT pretty. Completely preventable.

Ever seen the aorta of a horse that died from dissection due to strongyles? HORRIBLE sight.

Some of these things are SO RARE nowadays, because of proper prevention. We have short memories...kids used to DIE of measles, pertussis and other horrible childhood diseases, most of which have been all but eradicated due to vaccination.

BY ALL MEANS, do your homework. You have to decide what's right for you and your animals. But if you'd take one piece of advice from someone who clearly is on "one side" of the argument and makes no apologies for it, PLEASE PLEASE consider the source of the information you gather. Especially on topics like this, there is an AWFUL lot of bullsh*t out there!
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Of possible interest here is a link to a discussion we had a while ago about this on horseshoes.http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2623 I think it good to be not 100% trusting of these things. Not for human or veterinary medicine. There really is a lot to this, check out www.tetrahedron.org
          George

Comment

I don't know about CA, but in MD I think it would be problematic not to have your dog vaccinated regularly for rabies, unless it never left your property. I would never in a million years sign a release like that for ANY animal.

Comment

George, you ARE joking, right? RIGHT?

From the "tetrahedron" site, I give you this:

According to Dr. Horowitz’s latest of sixteen books, Da Vinci’s most famous drawing, “The Vitruvian Man,” is a cryptograph providing “Divine direction” for advancing technologies crucial for civilization’s evolution.
              Dr. Leonard Horowitz provides an unparalleled peek into the Creator’s technology. He unearths compelling scientific evidence of your spiritual existence, and gives practical advice for your success as a powerful co-creator.
              In this riveting presentation, Dr. Leonard Horowitz relays more than a decade of his research evidencing nefarious tinkering with microbial, plant, animal, and human biology befitting a massive conspiracy to place profits before people and population control before compassionate medicine. Dr. Horowitz presents solid proof that the most powerful industry on earth—the petrochemical–pharmaceutical cartel—aided by corruption, greed, and incompetence by officials in government, scientific organizations, and academic institutions, has seriously endangered the life and health of myriad forms on this chemically and pharmaceutically beleaguered planet.
              WOAH, baby! Cue the "Twilight Zone" music!

This is a BEAUTIFUL example of what I mean by CONSIDER THE SOURCE. Wow....somebody is smoking something SERIOUSLY powerful over there.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                This is a BEAUTIFUL example of what I mean by CONSIDER THE SOURCE. Wow.
                His credentials are excellent. He's testified before congress on these matters and has been researching this issue for many years. His education is from Harvard and not Middleham. How much more qualified would you like him to be?
                George

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Avra View Post
                  I don't know about CA, but in MD I think it would be problematic not to have your dog vaccinated regularly for rabies, unless it never left your property. I would never in a million years sign a release like that for ANY animal.
                  Sorry about that- Rabies is not excluded from her list. She requires a titre for everything else- which is totally doable on a dog because it's not very expensive.
                  "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

Sabine - I can see where you are coming from questioning how many vaccinations your horse might need. My guy had a serious reaction to a vaccine, finally through process of elimination, we were able to figure out that it was rhino. Each time he has gotten the vaccine, even when premedicated, his reaction has been worse than the time before. Needless to say, he will no longer get this vaccine.

You might take into account how much traffic is at your barn. Do you have a lot of horses coming in and out, do you go to a lot of shows. What type of exposure does your horse get to other animals?

I personally am not real big on the daily wormer but I do believe in worming bimonthly.

Comment

You have to consider, in EACH AND EVERY health-based decision you make for you or your loved ones, RISK VS. BENEFIT.
                      I had two horses react very badly to WNV vax the second year it was available, the year after loosing a horse to Quest. Those two events started me on my (continuing) journey to educate myself. Around the same time a very, very large APHA breeder I was peripherally associated with via my partner farm had an abortion storm related to vaccination. It confirmed for me I was on the right track.

I think you are asking excellent questions, and there is certainly middle ground between NO vaccinations and NO deworming and the dispensing of Vax and wormers as routine.

I do 'minimal' vax and worming. And then spend probably a similar amount of time and $$ creating an environment that lends towards health. Minimum host sites for parasites, (manure management in pastures) full turnout, healthy guts, etc.

I wish I had more cites for you. They are out there. Particularly the newer studies showing vaccinations last longer than we originally thought.

For many though, prevention is about convenience, and plentiful and often vaccines and deworming on a tight schedule are far more convenient than the type of prevention that takes time and effort that can be very lacking in folk's lives. That's a choice too. Just not my choice any more.
                      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Hey Sabine!

I do think we, as a society, have gotten trained to just do it. Just do the vaccines, just do the deworming, just do it without thought put into it. After years of rehabbing horses, here are my collective thoughts on it, or as much as I can collect after only one cup of coffee

Deworming: IMO deworming is done too often and not effectively enough (how many times have you seen someone put a single tube of Ivermectin down the throat of a 17h, 1500 lb horse? The tube is for 1100 lbs...) . All of the factors have to be considered, of course.. pasture management, deworming history, the deworming history of your horses friends, where they go, etc. An interesting thing was the study done that showed that some horses seem to carry a heavy worm load in spite of our best efforts. I think those horses need to be identified and dewormed appropriately. I have had a few of them and when I tell people the schedule I put them on, their eyes bug out but it worked in the end. So I guess what I am saying is.. some horses need the HELL dewormed out of them and some do fine on a light rotational schedule. I do view a yearly PP as essential and I always will. The older horses that I rehab who have NOT had them, have issues that the other horses simply do not. Appparently encysted strongyles ARE the AntiChrist. Further research has got me doing a double Anthelcide (by weight) two weeks after the PP is finished. The results speak for themselves.

So for the "normal" horse I recommend a PP once a year, followed by a double Anthelcide in two weeks. Then 8 weeks later, a double Ivermectin, followed by a Prizantqutal (sp?!!!) product, 6-8 weeks later a double Strongid, 8 weeks later a double Ivermectin, 8 weeks later a Moxidectin product, rinse and repeat. For a horse who is obviously carrying a heavy wormload, I would add a double Ivermectin and a double Strongid in between the Prazanquital and the Moxidectin. I would consider a double Prazantuital if the horse showed any symptoms of neck worms I would do this until the condition I was treating them for was resolved.

It is interesting and important to remember that horses have parasites other than in their digestive tract. I sat down with a parasitology book while tending a colic one night at the vets office and I was totally blown away by the creepies in their bodies that we are not even aware of. I am convinced that parasites are one of the factors in IR and metabolic disorders, along with a host of other behavioral issues.

Vaccinations: I am a lot more paranoid about vaccinations than dewormers I think one important thing to remember about them is that they should never be given to a horse that is stressed or has a weakened immune system. IR and metabolic horses should not be vaccinated as they have a tendency for their immune system to overreact and I have seen more than one horse suffer thru this. It can be fatal, and the side effects of the treatment (steroids) for an IR horse can be fatal. So it's simply not worth it in those horses.

I tend to vaccinate the young horses on a much stricter schedule than the older, and I do use the live rhino vaccination and have without issue in healthy horses. As the horse ages I stop giving the whole run of them and start giving them only what I think they may need. I do them myself so I can split them up and I NEVER give more than one at at time. The exception is Tetnus/E & WT, as the tetnus has been shown to boost the efficacy of the E & W.

--

It is important to remember that I deal with horses who are screwed up physically, and that I see the worst of most things here. I will never be able to say what thing is the "thing" that fixes them up, because I have a moral and ethical obligation to not experiment in a way that might cause the horse to fail. But my gut feeling is that it is the strict deworming that is the biggest factor. I think people do their horses a HUGE disservice by underdeworming, or waiting until the horse is showing symptoms of a big worm load to PowerPack. Damage has been done by then, and it may or may not be fixable. Gut damage from encysted strongyles is a big problem to cure, and from what I am seeing, it takes years, not weeks after the deworming. IMO horses really start to show the effects of ineffective deworming processes when they get to be 11,12,13 years old. They fall apart. The horses that we have who have been properly dewormed and managed from babyhood, don't.
                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                        ---
                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Are there any studies out there showing titer levels? I vaccinate for West Nile, EEE etc 2X a year, but always wonder if it's really necessary. Do horses just have weak immune systems?

Comment

Depends some on where you live....

dogs:
                            Here you get parvo every 6 months till the dog's an adult. Used to be every 6 months period, then they found out that adults didn't get it as easily. The others are once per year....In adults a couple are every other year, now, but I don't remember which ones.

horses:
                            Lots of people vacc for rabies here.

We're also one of the West Nile capitals....we do WN for the horses every 6 months because there's never a time of year where we don't have mosquitoes. EVERYBODY worms regularly (the Gulf Coast is really a swamp in disguise, plus there's not enough turn out to not get parasite loads in the paddocks).

Having said that - the only thing that I've heard of given every 3 months is flu/rhino to horses that are competing a LOT.

Comment

I worm my horse once a year (whether he needs it or not). My vet boards his horses where I do and we discuss this regularly. We do regular fecals and my horse lives in his own big paddock. I don't graze him by the manure pile (which I did as a younger horsewoman).
                              A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Eqtrainer - I really liked your post. One of the reasons I do not like the daily wormer is I see too many people give the same amount to each horse regardless of weight. Chances are someone is getting under wormed. I can't understand how people can not know how much (or at least have a ball park figure) their horses weigh. Yes, horses loose and gain weight but a responsible owner should have an idea, worming is done by weight (and most other medications for that matter).

If I had my horses at my own place and could manage the pastures effectively I might consider another worming schedule. Now they are in an environment where they come into contact with a lot of other horses so this is not an option.

Comment

I use de-wormers and vaccinations, never had a problem

Well,

Like some one else mentioned, horses live MUCH longer lives now that we have dewormers and vaccinations available.

I have seen a horse die of tetanus, HORRIBLE site.. could have been prevented by a $12 vac.

I have seen a horse die of the flu... also horrible, and the poor little girl...had to watch her horse die over the course of several weeks (despite intensive care).

I de-worm and vaccinate pretty religously. I have for the 20 years I have owned horses. And not once have I had any sort of "reaction" and my horses have been very healthy. Knock on wood I have not had a single sickness or colic.

The exception being a bout with strangles (before there was an inter-nasal vac.), luckily it didn't turn to some thing like bastard strangles and the horse recovered fine. Now I vaccinate for strangles.

(that said, I don't do "power packs" I don't use tape worm de-wormers -not a problem in my area, and have heard about too many reactions-)
                                  APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Does anyone know how often aneurysm is connected to parasites? Does this show on necropsy?

Eqtrainer, great post. I have always worried about de-worming -- I always got the sense it wasn't enough, or that I was going blind. My youngsters got daily dewormer until they went for training at 5 -- if there were any parasites I'm sure they were resistent to Strongid by then. (The horses also got Ivermectin and Ivermectin Gold 3 or 4 times a year.) I gave up doing manure checks because they were always clean and after reading about how much it can miss, depending on what is being shed out at the time, it felt rather futile.

They have been on a 8 week schedule in the last 2 years.

We're going to the NCSU symposium in Feb -- it will be interesting to hear what Dr. Menigo has to say.

Comment

George, what are his credentials, exactly? Lots of people have college degrees. He is a conspiracy theorist.

He has testified before congress on WHICH issue? Anthrax conspiracies, Intelligent Design, Autism epidemics, AIDS conspiracies, or the apocalypse?

He's a NUT JOB. Caveat emptor.

grayarabpony, here is a citation:

Ischaemic myocardial fibrosis and aortic strongylosis in the horse.

Cranley JJ, McCullagh KG.
                                      The hearts and aortas of 2076 unselected horses of all ages were examined immediately after slaughter. Focal zones of fibrosis, observed in the myocardium of 14.3 per cent of hearts examined, were found in both atria and ventricles and were unrelated to age. Microscopically the majority of lesions involved myocardial fibre lysis and replacement fibrosis, although acute infarction was present in some cases. Intramyocardial arterioles in or adjacent to the lesions exhibited occlusive arteriosclerotic changes whereas those elsewhere remained patent. The evidence strongly suggests that the myocardial lesions were ischaemic in origin and related to the distribution of intramyocardial arteriosclerosis. Nodular fibrous plaques and mural thrombi associated with migrating larvae of Strongylus vulgaris were observed in the thoracic aorta of 9.4 per cent of horses. These intimal lesions were often present in the aortic bulb and proximal 10 cm of the thoracic aorta indicating that larval migration in this zone is common. Statistical analysis revealed a highly significant association between the occurrence of proximal aortic S vulgaris lesions and the presence of focal ischaemic lesions in the myocardium. The association was not the result of direct larval damage but appeared to be caused by microembolisation from parasitic lesions in the proximal aorta, producing obstructive arteriosclerotic lesions in myocardial arterioles.

Comment

Some great posts thus far.

As another thought....

When you are educated regarding disease and parasites, diagnostics, and treatment, you can choose the path that makes the most sense.

However, many of the "protocols" out there exist because MOST PEOPLE are NOT educated, don't WANT to be educated, and don't WANT to do the diagnostics. They want to do as much as they can on their own as cheaply as they can. In that regard, having a protocol for deworming every X weeks and vaccinating X times a year is safer for the overall population.

At our veterinary clinic, we offered titers in lieu of just following the vaccine protocol. But very few people utilized that option. Why? Because it often required two visits. One to draw the blood, then one to come in and vaccinate as needed. It was easier for people to just vaccinate.

Fecals? Same thing. There's not much of a way to get around a trip to the vet's office for a fecal unless you want to invest in a microscope, slide, fecal cups, and fecasol, know what you're looking for and do them yourself. It's a $10 test. But most folks would rather just deworm.

So...if you're committed to going a little out of your way to become educated, do the diagnostics and testing, and then make your deworming and vaccination choices accordingly, I'm all for it! But if you're not, sticking to the standard protocol is a lot safer for all of us.

Choosing NOT to do the diagnostics AND choosing NOT to vaccinate or deworm puts the rest of us at risk. You're essentially riding the coattails of all the others who ARE vaccinating or deworming and in some cases, putting both your horse and ours at risk.

Much like the measles argument. Why vaccinate? It's gone. Well, if we all discontinue vaccination, methinks it will be back.

As far as the reactions people mention--it's most often the adjuvant that causes a reaction. Ft. Dodge in particular had some problems with serious reactions due to the adjuvant they were using in a WNV vaccine a few years ago. Again, understanding more about the process can be helpful in dispelling myths and keeping our horses/dogs/kids well protected where the risks warrant it.
                                        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Working...
                                        X