Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems to be the day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems to be the day

for canine teeth. NOT wolf teeth. I have an 8 yo Morgan mare who has developed canine teeth over the course of the last year. They were discovered this past Wed. by the vet I use for chiro and lameness when he came out to do a chiro treatment on her. I gather from this vet that they are associated with a male chromosome, and that mares who have canine teeth often have high testosterone levels. Which would explain a lot, lol. She doesn't exhibit stallion-like behavior per se, and she is very sweet with people, but she is very aggressive with her paddock mates, and if anything happens that she perceives as dangerous, say like a truck and trailer pulling in, she will herd them together. She is also on high alert all the time.
    Except from January to March when she becomes a different horse, much more relaxed and even nice to her companions.
    She is no trouble at all to ride when she is in heat. The only time I ever noticed anything unusual in her heat cycle was for 2 cycles during the summer of 2016 when she got a little crampy.
    My regular vet is booked for Tuesday to come and see her, so I am not posting here in lieu of veterinary advice, and I have done some Googling, but I am interested in the experience of others with canine teeth and high testosterone levels. I have also heard the canine teeth are difficult to extract. She is very fussy with the bit, so something is going to have to be done.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

My mare has canines. I have never had her testosterone levels checked. She is also the boss of her small herd of four, sweet to people, and is no trouble at all while in heat. If your bridle is adjusted properly, the bit should not interfere with the canines. I'm guessing they are not a problem for her.

Comment

Working...
    X