Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Super Duper Bloated and Gassy Horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Duper Bloated and Gassy Horse

I unfortunately had to suddenly change barns May 6 (we were attacked by a new neighbor's dog two days in a row in the arenas; barn owner did not want to talk to the neighbor or let me call the sheriff, so she let me out of the boarding contract) and wasn't able to take any hay with us. We changed from a very poor quality brome/orchard mix and 2 flakes alfalfa a day to a high quality timothy grass hay.(and no alfalfa) Additionally, my horse is getting some pasture turnout at the new place (how much, I'm not sure--I asked them to limit it to two hours, but they put all the horses out at the same time and mine cannot be in the barn by herself). She has a stall and 24/7 access to a run. Anyway, she became extremely gassy--to the point of it affecting our rides. I tried xtra strength GasX, but it didn't seem to stop the problem. Shewas/ is getting probios treats and has probiotics in her Omega Grande, and I added TractGuard (one ounce 2x per day) two days ago. Also, through this change, she was getting a 1/4 dose omeprazole. She seems slightly improved and I know it takes some time, but I am concerned about the massive quantities of gas. Is there anything else I can do? I've cut her grain by 1/3 (she gets a whole grain mix 50/50 with Triple Crown Naturals and Omega Grande--she can't have soy). She is working at the top of my sport, about an hour 6 days a week, so I don't really want to cut the feed too much. Her stools were loose for the first few days she went on grass, but seem to have firmed up some. Am I just too impatient? Should I be doing something else? I have never had to cope with this much gas before (I've had horse her whole life), and it does seem to be affecting performance so I have to wonder if it isn't Uncomfortable for her.

It seems, from my research, the issue is that this hay/grass is richer than she was used to and/or that she is digesting it too quickly. I had the vet/dentist out yesterday to do her teeth and she said the horse has normal gut sounds.

You know your horse best. I'd put her on half tubes of Ulcerguard until it resolves or some kind of stomach soother. It can escalate to colic very quickly. Or scope for ulcers. Change in behavior, performance and the move could point to that. And if you can, get some alfalfa back in her diet (soaked cubes in her feed?)

Comment

I had tHe same thing happen with one of my geldings but for different reasons --- which never were truly deduced with blood work, etc.

at the height of his gassiness, the methane smell could have caught the barn on fire, and I could hear him pass gas a thousand feet away up on the ridge ---- that is not an exaggeration.

The equine chiro I use is a DVM who took the holistic route. She put this horse on a Jing Tang product called Phlem Fat. He stayed on that for two months. That was 2-1/2 years ago and so far he has been perfectly fine in that regard.

Here is the link to the website. Key your zip code on the left in the green bar. Unless you are an herbalist, herbs mixtures are not something to mess with as they can be as dangerous as drugs if used wrong.

https://store.tcvmherbal.com/Default.asp?

i hope this will help, good luck

Comment

IME sucralfate will knock the unsettled gasiness out of her quickly. Anti-gaz is also a standby for gassy colics.

FWIW, if you were the one attacked, you probably had every right to call the sheriff with or without your barn owner's permission. If the neighbour himself had come over and attacked would you have waited for the property owner's blessing to call authorities?
        Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Comment

BO would not "let you call the sheriff when attackedd by loose dog". Interesting.

Fresh spring grass can create gas and bloating. It should take care of itself over time. Obviously restricting access to it would be preferably but apparently health related issues are not a priority over convenience for the BO.

Possibly you might want to look at upgrading your barn choice to one more willing to work with you. It will likely cost more but less then a vet bill for a bad gas colic or getting mauled by a loose dog.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

When we change hay (and this consists of bales from the same farm, seemingly different cutting or different field), mine gets super gassy. That's without changes involving grass access or different types of hay. Alfalfa pellets may help through the transition for calories if you are cutting back on grain. I'd pick pellets in this instance rather than long stem.

I load my horse up on probiotics and prebiotics in times like this. Seems to be what it takes, and I've kept him on quite a lot full time because it seems to help the gas tendencies the most. Used to have good results with Equishure but not so much after a while.

So, I'd at least double dose the Probios and consider adding something like Platinum Balance or HorseTech's Gutwerks. I wouldn't worry too much about the stool being loose as well unless it persists after the other symptoms resolve.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tpup View Post
              You know your horse best. I'd put her on half tubes of Ulcerguard until it resolves or some kind of stomach soother. It can escalate to colic very quickly. Or scope for ulcers. Change in behavior, performance and the move could point to that. And if you can, get some alfalfa back in her diet (soaked cubes in her feed?)
              I had her on one packet of pop rocks (Abler Omeprazole) since two days before I moved in the new barn (I was attached on a Tues/Weds and moved on Saturday) and she is still on it. I could certainly double the dose (three Abler pop rock = 1 tube ulcergard). I don't think it is ulcers. She is not sensitive to the touch on her tummy and is not girthy (symptoms of ulcers for her). I think this is gas in her hindgut from being out of balance from the rapid hay switch and massive change in quality as well as sudden access to fresh grass. I should also note that my mare lived at and loved the barn we moved to (a private place that was kind enough to take us in) for two years several years ago (prior owner) and seems very happy and relaxed there.

And while totally irrelevant, the former barn owner did not want to rock the boat with the neighbor because she was about to throw a noisy graduation party for 100 people on the farm and didn't want to get on the neighbor's wrong side. I had 3 surgeries in the last two years due to being trampled as a result of some kids coming on a property where I was in costumes and scaring the horses, so I was not about to take any chances. If she had not let me out of the boarding contract, I definitely would have called the Sheriff, since the dog escalated from attacking us in the outdoor arena to following us into the indoor arena and attacking us and the BO did not talk to the neighbor about it. It was all just as well because that farm fed crappy hay anyway and I had to feed more grain and add alfalfa to compensate for it.

Does anyone know how long it takes a horse to get used to the new food? She was definitely quieter in her tummy in last nights ride in walk and trot, looked less bloated, but then passed massive amounts of gas in the canter. I think that means her gut is starting to balance? She has had the tractguard added in for three days now. She gets: probios treats (2 per day); Omega Grande, which has a serving of Diamond V yeast; and 2 ounces of Tractguard. Triple Crown naturals contains prebiotics and probiotics to enhance digestion. Should I add saccharmyces boullardii?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                BO would not "let you call the sheriff when attackedd by loose dog". Interesting.

Fresh spring grass can create gas and bloating. It should take care of itself over time. Obviously restricting access to it would be preferably but apparently health related issues are not a priority over convenience for the BO.

Possibly you might want to look at upgrading your barn choice to one more willing to work with you. It will likely cost more but less then a vet bill for a bad gas colic or getting mauled by a loose dog.
                Yeah. I pay over $1000 a month for board and there is no upgrade from this except to move them home, which I will be doing...after my purchase of the ranchette closes in June! YAY!

Comment

Could you try turning her out with grazing muzzle to cut back on grass consumption without keeping her in alone?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by luckycricket123 View Post
                    Could you try turning her out with grazing muzzle to cut back on grass consumption without keeping her in alone?
                    Great idea. I'll look into it. She was still consistently gassy tonight, but much less explosive type gas. I'm taking her off the property for four days and no access to pasture, so if she settles without access to grass, I'll definitely get a muzzle.

Comment

If you do find it is linked more to the grass than hay, consider EquiShure. But I would wait and see if gas returns after you come home again. It could be she is adjusting already.

For less sensitive horses, I think they can make a switch in a few days to a week. Others, I'd give at least a couple weeks if not a month if the initial reaction is pretty extreme.

Comment

Omeprazole upsets my horse's (evidently very sensitive) hind gut. I'm guessing because it leaves food more for the intestines to break down? Treating for ulcers caused calls to the vet for gas colics until he was taken off GG. If you don't think she has ulcers, try taking her off meds and adding a good probiotic to support the hind gut. I also use a grazing muzzle for afternoon turnout on rich pastures, because that can make him bloat too. Equishure didn't help mine, but it's definitely worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Taken View Post
                          Omeprazole upsets my horse's (evidently very sensitive) hind gut.\
                          Echoing this. I wasted a LOT of money on omeprazole when I should have used only Sucralfate and supplements.

FWIW, I react quickly to gassy episodes though. I can't imagine letting a horse stay gassy for days in a row, let alone bloated. If Sucralfate and a short trot on the longe line isn't enough and I have to use Anti-gaz, it's likely going to be at least a call to the vet to discuss. Extreme gassiness and bloating are not normal, imo.

Still can't believe your turd of a former BO not wanting to confront the neighbour about the dog attacks. That is absolutely ridiculous and bordering on negligent.

Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Comment

• Original Poster

I had the vet out on Thursday morning and she didn't prescribe anything; suggested cutting out all the grain (I cut it by 1/3) and giving pre and probiotics, which I was already doing.

She is much less gassy. Hasn't been on pasture in two days. Is eating all of her supplements.

Comment

Working...
                            X