Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

CBD Oil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBD Oil?

Anyone tried CBD oil, on their horses OR themselves? Apparently it is a big thing with performance dogs.....

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

I take it nightly to help me sleep. I don't know if it would really be useful for horses, and it would probably be cost-prohibitive. I'm not sure how it would benefit performance dogs, other than as an anti-inflammatory.
    TypaGraphics
    Graphic Design & Websites
    typagraphics.com

Comment

I use a CBD with a low dose of THC in both a muscle cream and a vape pen. The muscle cream is MAGIC on my bad back and the vape definitely helps with relaxation and pain relief. I also use CBD infused treats for my arthritic dog. It seems to make a difference. I live in a legal state so I'm not sure what is legally available elsewhere.
      Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
      My equine soulmate
      Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

I took CBD for months, and my knee was fine, now have a supply issue and I'm back on pain pills....I am a total convert. Oh waiting for a knee replacement here
        "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Was told CBD oil would help my storm-nervous dog. Did nothing and was very expensive. Tried L-theanine and it helped a lot more - definitely took the edge off so she could hang out by us and not go digging under the furniture to hide.

My husband tried CBD oil while waiting for an ankle replacement. Did nothing so he is back on pain meds.
          Savor those rides where you feel like a million bucks, because there will be those where you feel like a cheap date...

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I tried it for myself and I am a believer. Has definitely helped with chronic minor arthritis and muscle pain, and I have a ton more energy. I didn't realize I had become accustomed to a draining, constant low-level anxiety until suddenly it was gone and I could wake up at 3am and not stay awake for two hours WORRYING.....

jennifer
            Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Originally posted by KBC View Post
              I took CBD for months, and my knee was fine, now have a supply issue and I'm back on pain pills....I am a total convert. Oh waiting for a knee replacement here
              Whereabouts are you? The reservation in Tyendaga has 43 dispensaries with many many CBD options!

I use it on my epileptic dog...works wonders, stops seizures in its tracks.

CBD is amazing for anxiety. I am a marijuana user so I like both CBD and THC. When I broke my leg I took painkillers for one day, they made me so sick and have horrible night tremors. Switched to marijuana and had a pain free and amazing recovery. Really is a miracle plant.
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Lusoluv View Post
                Was told CBD oil would help my storm-nervous dog. Did nothing and was very expensive. Tried L-theanine and it helped a lot more - definitely took the edge off so she could hang out by us and not go digging under the furniture to hide.

My husband tried CBD oil while waiting for an ankle replacement. Did nothing so he is back on pain meds.
                You need a new CBD supplier, me thinks your supply is faulty.
                Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

I use it in a cream for my back pain... works AMAZING. No experience on dogs/horses.

Had a friend who fed it (don't remember what dosage of THC:CBD) to her dog when he was very old and had cancer (he had maybe 9 months to live, max). Showed huge improvement in his appetite and overall attitude.

Comment

Jealoushe i have found an online dispensary who will ship, waiting for first parcel...in the meantime, following a small Facebook rant about the stupidity of the attitudes to CBD oil, I got given a half bottle, waiting for it to kick in!
                    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I think it would be a great alternative to equioxx, but I assume it would be $$$ for an effective dose. Is there any recommendation for the amount that equals an effective dose in horses?

Comment

Hey guys! So I just got CBD pellets in for horses. Last week I tested it out on my horse I've just started getting back into work and its amazing.

Ride 1 he was definitely a little crazy and full of tons of energy. But it was his first ride in just over 3 months. My neighbors across the street decided halfway into my ride it was the perfect time to fly a 15 ft long octopus kite at the very end of their property aka right across the street from where I was riding I thought he was going to flip. I mean what horse wouldn't flip to see this giant black thing moving around in the sky. And he didn't flip. At all.

Ride 2: So I had a rep for a different CBD company come in and give me some samples. He said the capsules can be used on horses. One capsule is effective for 9 hours. So the next day I give him one with breakfast and one half hour before my ride. And he tried to kill me. Totally not effective at all. Not a fun ride and annoyed.

Ride 3: Two days later I ride again with the pellets from ride one. Had an AMAZING ride. He didn't once try to bolt/buck! He thought about it twice but decided against it. I was thrilled!

The day after ride 3 I decided to free lunge. Figured after a pretty decent ride the day before he'd be lazy. He didn't get any CBD because I wasn't riding. Well he was a galloping bucking maniac. The only difference between the two days was it was a little cooler the day I lunged him (he's not usually that sensitive to temp changes) and he didn't get CBD. I'm in love with this stuff. You can use it for anxiety on an as needed basis. Its $90 for a 30 day supply. Horses are actually very sensitive to CBD so you don't need a lot. I also have trial packs for $20.

Personally I use it on myself for knee pain. Works even better than narcotics! I also use it for my dog that is afraid of thunderstorms. Not all CBD companies are created equal. Because its become such a fad a lot of companies are claiming its CBD oil and it really has such a low dose of CBD it isn't doing anything. So if you tried it and its not working you should try a different supplier.
                        Hudson Valley's Premier Tack Shop www.argentoeq.com/

Life is happening for us not to us

Comment

btswass what brand product are you using and what is the CBD dosage in mg per serving?

After searching online, I found this as a dosage guideline online for horses:
                          General Health: 40-80 mg/day
                          Chronic Pain: 100 to 200 mg/day
                          Ulcers/Acid Reflux: 80 to 100 mg/day
                          Anxiety: 80 mg/day
                          Pre-Race/Performance: 200 to 1,000 mg

I'm thinking mixing an isolate with a tasty oil and then adding to feed might be the most cost-effective method for dosing chronic pain horses, but it's still like $100/month at 100mg/day dose (priced from a company I trust)... and requires calculations to get it right. Regular CBD extract would be $150-200 per month at that dose.

Comment

Taken the company is called Sat-A-Vet which is part of Holistic Cannaceuticals. The dosage is about 25 mg/day. Where did you find that dosage guideline? There is so little info or testing done for CBD use in horses but I found the 25 mg dose plenty effective for anxiety.
                            Hudson Valley's Premier Tack Shop www.argentoeq.com/

Life is happening for us not to us

Comment

That was the recommendation from Equidiol website. Hempworx has the exact same chart. There seems to be a big difference between maintenance and therapeutic dosing, but there are so few places giving dosage recommendations for horses. Obviously the lowest dose that provides benefit for the horse is optimal though.

Plantacea (I ended up ordering this product to try from ridingwarehouse.com) chart is almost the same as the others:
                              DOSING GUIDELINES:
                              General Health: 25mg CBD twice daily has been effective for most average sized horses. A level tablespoon of pellets contains 25mg CBD.
                              Chronic Pain: 100 to 200 mg/day
                              Anxiety: 50 to 80 mg/day

CBD Equus has pellets with a 120mg/day dose recommendation, but the other pellets I found are lower doses (1 month supplies with 7.5-25mg measurements provided)

Comment

I just ordered some of the pellets from Buckley's hemp oil - thanks for providing the dosage! ^ ^ ^

Kind of a "trial size" ($28 with shipping) so will try it out on my mare and see whether it's helpful for her trailering anxiety before I decide to order more

I should try it on myself for my chronic pain issues! There are certainly many positive testimonials.
                                "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

For those of you having success with CBD creams for pain, can you please PM me what you're buying? I am in a legal state and my mom has a card, but she's a cancer patient struggling with hip pain and I'd like to send her some recommendations.

Thanks!
                                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

soloudinhere: try FLOW CBD Gel.

Comment

So, I got my "sample pack" for $28 - yikes - it's TINY! It says 25 g.

A wee scoop is provided (without any indication of how much it holds), and in *tiny* letters (I had to pull out a magnifying glass to read them), it says: "1 scoop maintenance, 2 scoops performance" - which I assume to mean that you would give 2 scoops if you wanted to affect performance?

Taken, the scoop is in NO WAY a full tablespoon; maybe a teaspoon? I'm going to hazard a guess that I will give the whole small sample as a "dose" - doubtful that it's more than a Tablespoon - which is not even going to be close to an "anxiety dose."

I guess I'll try it and see whether there is ANY effect! I'm trailering her tomorrow so will test it out, though it sounds like the dose is really too small to have any impact, and is more appropriate as "maintenance." Oy. This stuff is $$$$!

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

I have an equine medical textbook from 1910. In the section about colic, there is a big paragraph on the treatment of the day.

It was cannabis, injected. Worked very well is my understanding. It's safe for horses.

Comment

Working...
                                        X