Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Advice on whether to approach BO/BM about horses feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on whether to approach BO/BM about horses feed?

Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot, please let me know if not.

I'm looking for some advice concerning my horses feed plan at a boarding facility.

I've been at the same barn for a few years and it is for the most part great, no real complaints... until recently. I noticed that the barn has switched from a high quality feed (tribute, feeds and ration balancer) to the feed stores own brand grain. I don't think it's a coincidence the previous winter my horse had no troubles, even with the long hours without hay at night, but recently he has developed ulcer symptoms (he's being treated now). I'm feeling like maybe the grain switch could be a factor? He was switched slowly to fully getting the cheap feed and it's around the time shortly after the switching that he started acting up. Some of the horses at the barn are still getting the expensive feed and I wasn't consulted that my horse's feed was changing (just noticed the labels/feed chart changes), so I'm not really sure what the decision was on who's horse is switching and why (or why this grain was chosen to replace) but I'd like to have my horse back on the tribute feeds if its still being provided by the barn. The new grains ingredients are a much lower quality. Part of my choice for this facility was that it fed good quality feed, it even advertised the brand of their provided feed.

Am I being ridiculous and jumping to conclusions? I don't want to cause any trouble, and I know I'm not a money maker client because at the moment I'm only boarding and not paying for lessons so I try to be as low maintenance as I can to make up for it, but I'm a little sour that I wasn't told before this change was happening. I get saving money where they can but its a substantial difference in quality. The board is mid-range for the area. I know the simple answer is to talk to the BM/BO but I'm very introverted and wanted to make sure I wasn't being ridiculous or asking for too much before I bothered them.

Thanks for any help and advice!

No you aren't being ridiculous. I would be upset if my horse's feed was changed without my consent. I am super non confrontational as well but I probably would have said something as soon as I saw the change on the board.

I'd approach this pretty matter of fact-ly with whoever is in charge of this. My horse has ulcers, he's now being treated for them and I'd like him transitioned back to the Tribute feeds starting with the next feeding.

Comment

As a first step, I would get the full nutritional and ingredients information on both the old and new feed. In particular look at protein, NSC, level of vitamin mineral fortification and also recommended amount of feeding.

If you are hsving trouble understanding these post the labels here for us to read.

This will give you some foundation for saying whether the new feed is worse, better, or equivalent to the old feed.

Also worth looking at what kind of hay is being fed and if that has changed over the winter.

Just going in saying my horse needs a brand name feed makes you look silly. Going in with concerns over protein or nsc is a much stronger position.

Comment

Original Poster

Sorry, I might have worded that badly. I don't want the feed because of its name, I had compared labels before I completely jumped to conclusions about it just because it didn't have a name. I attached the picture of the label (hopefully). I couldn't find the information about the feed at all online. The tribute feeds were the essential K ration balancer and kalm ultra. Which I think I linked to the information if I didn't mess it up haha

The hay has been the same, no changes there. Really the only feed change is the grain. Supplements all stayed the same. He even was doing less work than last winter (not much at all for the time around when it happened even), so I can't say he had an stress increase.

https://tributeequinenutrition.com/s...2520T91212.pdf
        https://tributeequinenutrition.com/s...520928EK_0.pdf

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Comment

Original Poster

I should add, he was getting 2 cups essential k, 3 cups kalm ultra. Now he gets 5 cups of the store brand grain. So its the same amount, but a vastly different nutrition and ingredient profile.

Comment

I found the picture of current feed's label to be too small to read.

But, regardless, there's no harm in talking to the Barn manager about the feed change. You can ask why it happened, and why some horses were switched and others not. They should have an answer for you on that, and it's a completely reasonable question. You're paying for a service and the service has changed: you're entitled to ask why.

It may be that the change was to cut costs, and it may be that those who've stayed on the Tribute feeds have paid a premium to do so. Or maybe something else is going on. But you won't know till you ask!
            "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

The photo is not legible, please provide a larger photo.

Is it reasonable to be annoyed/upset about a change in grain you were not made aware of or asked for approval on? Yes. Is it weird for the barn to switch some horses and not others? Yes. As someone else said, perhaps they are paying additional to stay on Tribute, but why weren't you given that option? Are you jumping to conclusions about the new grain causing ulcers? Yes.

I will say it is silly, IMO, for a horse to get Essential K and grain. The main point of Essential K, as with any ration balancer, is to provide essential nutrients to horses who do not need grain to maintain weight. They are typically used to balance a hay/grass diet.
              Sugar, corn, and molasses aggravate ulcers. Kalm Ultra is certainly not low NSC, but it does not contain corn. It does contain molasses, as does Essential K. If the new grain contains corn and molasses, perhaps it did tip your horse over the edge and made some ulcers flare up. But perceived quality based on priced is a poor reason to assume a new grain caused ulcers. You mentioned long hours without hay in the winters. Perhaps it was fine for him last year, but this year his gut didn't appreciate it.

Comment

I had the same issue back a year ago. First off remember that you are paying board just like everyone else. Just because others pay more for lessons doesn't mean anything as far as boarding goes. As for the feed I'd start out by asking why you weren't told of the changing and why your horse was changed and others weren't. If they are still feeding other horses the old feed I'd just ask to change your horse back to it citing the problems your horse has had as a reason.
                When it happened at my barn they changed all the feed. It got to the point that the barn manger and I sat down to talk. In the end my board was reduced, by what was factored out for grain, and I provided my own feed.

Comment

Can't see your pic well enough to compare.

But learn from my Hissyfit Fail of several years ago when I had horses boarded.
                  Came in one night to see my TB's hay ration had been cut from 2 to 1 flake .
                  Stomped off angrily to find the feed cart & deliver his 2nd flake.......
                  Only to find the bales being fed from had Ginormous flakes - 1 easily = 2 of the last bales fed.
                  My point is be certain the feeds are different enough nutritionally before making an issue of it.
                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post

I will say it is silly, IMO, for a horse to get Essential K and grain. The main point of Essential K, as with any ration balancer, is to provide essential nutrients to horses who do not need grain to maintain weight. They are typically used to balance a hay/grass diet.
                    Tribute's EK is actually designed to be fed either as a traditional ration balancer or as a top-dress for an existing feed. I feed my horse the same combination as the OP. The added protein and amino acids from the EK helps my older show horse maintain muscle while in work. How it's fed really just depends on the horse's needs.

Comment

It's a perfectly reasonable conversation to have. Obviously, I think it is a good idea to have read the labels (sounds like you have), but ultimately this discussion isn't about the finer points of nutrition. It's about your preference to have your horse on a particular feed.

Here's the deal--horse feed prices have gone up quite a bit in recent years. For large farms, feeding a brand name feed can cost a lot more than feeding a mix that is custom prepared by a local mill. In many cases, the mix prepared by the local mill is NOT inferior--the local mill simply simply has less overhead. They don't have advertising costs or fancy bags, and the feed only gets shipped once (instead of being produced at a distant mill and getting shipped again to the feed store, and then again to you). For many farms, switching to a locally milled feed isn't about "saving money" as it is about finding a way to prevent board rate increases.

The best way to approach this is to simply tell the BO that you feel that your horse did better on the other feed and that you are willing to pay the difference to have him put back on the other feeds.

Comment

OP, can you post a legible picture of the store brand feed, and can you tell us what *you* think the significant differences are between the old and new feeds, including ingredients, protein, NSC, fortification, and recommended amount to feed?

Comment

I think your number one issue is that this horse is without hay for long periods of time. That is a HUGE deal.

That alone would be a deal breaker for me in a boarding barn. Most horses need free choice forrage 24/7, unless they have a metabolic issue.

Bad quality grain does present a host of other concerns. However, with such poor barn management, I'm not sure it is worth the conversation. I'd move the horse if it we're me.

Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

Did anyone catch that her horse was only getting 3 cups of the Tribute feed? I would bet that's the reason -- it's much less than the recommended amount, so if the barn is watching costs or just hoping they can shift some horses that don't have high needs to a more "standard" product, someone probably decided that the "average" horses get the standard product, and the high need horses stay on the Tribute.

The other detail I picked out: if he was getting a ration balancer plus a small amount of high octane feed, and now he's getting 5 cups of standard feed without any additional vit/min supplement (I'm assuming the standard product is a generic pellet or sweet feed, since I can't see the label), that is also an issue to discuss with management. Have they ordered some other product to replace the ration balancer or a new vit/min supplement for the horses on the standard product?

I've been on both sides of this discussion, and have been part of some really good problem solving discussions that start wtih "our feed bills are through the roof. I don't think every horse in the barn needs half a bucket of Purina Senior twice a day." It's like a puzzle, or maybe an algebra problem, with a couple different ways to get to the right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by betsyk View Post
                              Did anyone catch that her horse was only getting 3 cups of the Tribute feed? I would bet that's the reason -- it's much less than the recommended amount, so if the barn is watching costs or just hoping they can shift some horses that don't have high needs to a more "standard" product, someone probably decided that the "average" horses get the standard product, and the high need horses stay on the Tribute.

The other detail I picked out: if he was getting a ration balancer plus a small amount of high octane feed, and now he's getting 5 cups of standard feed without any additional vit/min supplement (I'm assuming the standard product is a generic pellet or sweet feed, since I can't see the label), that is also an issue to discuss with management. Have they ordered some other product to replace the ration balancer or a new vit/min supplement for the horses on the standard product?

I've been on both sides of this discussion, and have been part of some really good problem solving discussions that start wtih "our feed bills are through the roof. I don't think every horse in the barn needs half a bucket of Purina Senior twice a day." It's like a puzzle, or maybe an algebra problem, with a couple different ways to get to the right answer.
                              Which is why I wanted OP to look at the new feed label and see if it is fortified or not.

Comment

I feed both the Tribute Kalm Ultra and the Essential K. The feeding rate for the Ultra is minimum 4lbs per day, and the EK is meant to be fed at least 1lb per day. The Ultra is about a lb per quart. I feed 2 quarts AM/PM, and split a quart (1lb) of the EK between two feedings. I can't speak for the specs of the new feed, but unless the 3 cups of Ultra and 2 cups of EK are *per feeding* instead of *per day*, that's just not enough to be reaping the benefits of the feed.

I ran into the same problem with my horse... I cringed at the idea of feeding what I had been told was "so much grain", but what was really just the proper amount to get the nutritional benefits of the grain. Whatever grain you choose, make sure you're feeding it to the minimum on the bag.

Comment

If he was getting that much when in work, he should be getting less grain when out of work. It is the hay he needs and yes 24/7 not hours and hours and hours and hours without.
                                  It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

I feel like this is also one of those barn culture questions. Is it more of a barn where your horse is in a program and the BO/BM make changes based on what they observe in your horse, or is it really the owner that makes all the calls? In the former, I would be slightly less peeved but would still definitely ask! Not in an accusatory tone, but more of just a question with no judgment.

I was at a barn that said they fed certain brands but I found out they only fed a bit of the "good" brand and then a bit of another mysterious random brand... I know that the brand itself doesn't matter (we have some nice locally milled feed here) but if you assume your horse is eating one thing and it turns out it's eating another, that's kind of annoying!

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                      As a first step, I would get the full nutritional and ingredients information on both the old and new feed. In particular look at protein, NSC, level of vitamin mineral fortification and also recommended amount of feeding.

This will give you some foundation for saying whether the new feed is worse, better, or equivalent to the old feed.

Just going in saying my horse needs a brand name feed makes you look silly. Going in with concerns over protein or nsc is a much stronger position.
                                      Agree with Scribbler's comments above. BTW, the photo of the store brand feed is too small/blurry to read.

Of more concern to me would be the horse's "long hours without hay at night." That is highly likely to be contributing to his ulcer symptoms much more so than a change in grain.

It might be useful to read up on what causes equine ulcers and how to prevent them. Some simple searches on google will produce many helpful articles. Here is an interesting article to get you started:

https://drkerryridgway.com/2016/07/0...eal-with-them/

After you do some research on ulcers; what causes them, how to heal them and how to prevent them from recurring; have a conversation with your vet about how best to manage your horse. Many times the best way to avoid future ulcer flair-ups entails a diet overhaul such as; 24/7 forage with added alfalfa, little to no grain, avoiding added sugars like molasses, etc.

Comment

The best thing for my mare during and following ulcer treatment (and is ongoing) is good quality forage available 24/7. I feed a mix of alfalfa and grass hay in her stall and she gets overnight grazing on good pasture. If grass isn't available, he needs hay in front of him at all times. As a side note, I feed the Kalm Ultra, my picky eater loves it and they all look great on it!

Comment

Working...
                                        X