• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Runaway on XC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaway on XC

First, let me start by saying that I'm not a true eventer. I am a hunter that goes to an event 1x a year for fun. Usually school xc 1-3x a year, but never at the pace of an actual event. I've gone to Fresno the last three years. The first two years I ran Intro, this year I ran Beg. Novice. After jump 5 this year, we had to go down a huge a** hill! Towards the bottom of the hill, my horse took off. He truly felt like a runaway. I could point him to the next jump but there really wasn't any slowing him down. My trainer thought I would pull him out and not take the jump (that never crossed my mind). My friend said that I definitely looked out of control (can't wait for the video from RideOn). The water came a few strides after the jump. That got him back under control because he trotted to look at the water. Yay. The rest of the course I felt like he was in control and listening. Optimum time was 5:21 and we came in at 5:19. I rode him in a loose ring KK ultra the first two years and a dee ring KK ultra this year. A stronger bit is likely in order but I will admit that I am a little concerned that I might ride him backwards at times and a stronger bit might make things worse if I start picking? Curious as to thoughts about why he took off (based on your own experiences). Could it be a pain response? Or, maybe he was just having fun and wanted to run (and scare me). Any bit recommendations? If the bit is too strong for him, he curls and gets behind it. We are still working on him accepting contact and me following. Work in progress! Also curious if anyone uses a C4 belt as a jump strap. Think I need to try this as I kept grabbing mane with my right hand. How do you know how loose/tight to make the belt? Thanks.

If you were only a few seconds under Optimum time I wouldn't call that a runaway, but how much schooling outside of the ring are you doing?

I don't think it is uncommon, especially for horses who are not used to schooling out in open spaces, for a horse to get a wild hair under his behind on XC after a fence or two. Some of them get really feisty before they settle into a rhythm, others don't "know" enough or have enough XC experience to know to settle into a rhythm. This does not necessarily require a bit upgrade, but it does require more time outside on the hills. If I were you I would try to set aside time, maybe once or twice a month, to school out in the open - you can include jumps here and there and always bring them back to a controlled gait after the fence. I would definitely try to school trotting/cantering down hills if you can.

I would skip the C4 belt and use a retired stirrup leather. C4s are flimsy belts and they will break if you tug on them, you do not want them popping off in the moment you need them. I make it just loose enough that it settles on the "widest" part of the neck before the shoulder. You can also make a grab strap for your saddle or ride in a breastplate that has a grabstrap instead.

I look forward to the video

"i'm a slow learner, it's true."

Comment

I have had my C4 belt pop apart while wearing it. No way would I use it as a Oh Shoot strap. I like my strap thinner than most stirrup leathers and have used the neck strap portion of an old standing martingale. You can buy nylon ones in different colors from Bit of Britain.

I am wondering if as you came down the hill your horse really got on the forehand and your loss of control was that he wasn't really balanced and you weren't balanced and it just snowballed.

I would bit up slightly and practice more on cross country prior to competing again. I personally use a Beval bit with the french link mouthpiece. It has some leverage but not much. Depending on where you hook the reins will depend on how much leverage. No curb chain.
      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

I was at Fresno this past weekend too, also in the BN division (Sr. Rider) and came in at 5:18! That hill was huge! My mare is super green and I was worried about the hill as well. I REALLY had to sit her back down on her hocks and say "woah, woah, woah" the whole time. Very strong half halts were involved LOL. I did think that course rode great though, that was some of the most fun I've had out on cross country.

It doesn't really sound like a pain issue, it seems like he probably just got some momentum and a bit carried away. If he really wanted to run away with you he could have done it during that looooong gallop stretch between 7 and 8 . Or also on the downhill on the way to the table at 17.

I use a c4 belt as a strap. I was using an old stirrup leather, but I lost it, so I switched over to the belt. I actually liked the belt better, it's a bit thicker than the leather and is easier for me to grab onto.
        I just started a blog!
        Another Adult Amature and her OTTB: https://eventingottb.wordpress.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by halt View Post
          If you were only a few seconds under Optimum time I wouldn't call that a runaway, but how much schooling outside of the ring are you doing?
          I don't get out of the ring much. I went xc schooling 2x this year. Once at Eventful Acres and once at Fresno. We typically only do a couple of jumps at a time and then walk. I do go on a walking trail rides in our rice fields but I've never gone faster than a walk! So, I could see that we definitely need more galloping experience. I don't have a trailer. Makes it hard to go out and play.

The runaway feeling only happened between the hill after jump 5 (it was a huge hill) and the next jump. Had the water not been a few strides later, I'm not sure what would have happened? I think he would have continued to blast off. But, I am a worrier, so maybe it would have been fine. The rest of the course felt pretty good considering how chicken I felt prior to running.

I have an old stirrup leather in the garage. I'll try that this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation and instructions on how to adjust. I think a grab strap on my saddle would be too far back for me? I think someone at my barn has one, so maybe I can try both to see which I like. I didn't even know about jump straps until my first event.

I'll be sure to post video when available. They said about 10 days. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Comment

Originally posted by Puzzled View Post

I don't get out of the ring much. I went xc schooling 2x this year. Once at Eventful Acres and once at Fresno. We typically only do a couple of jumps at a time and then walk. I do go on a walking trail rides in our rice fields but I've never gone faster than a walk! So, I could see that we definitely need more galloping experience. I don't have a trailer. Makes it hard to go out and play.

The runaway feeling only happened between the hill after jump 5 (it was a huge hill) and the next jump. Had the water not been a few strides later, I'm not sure what would have happened? I think he would have continued to blast off. But, I am a worrier, so maybe it would have been fine. The rest of the course felt pretty good considering how chicken I felt prior to running.

I have an old stirrup leather in the garage. I'll try that this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation and instructions on how to adjust. I think a grab strap on my saddle would be too far back for me? I think someone at my barn has one, so maybe I can try both to see which I like. I didn't even know about jump straps until my first event.

I'll be sure to post video when available. They said about 10 days. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
            Maybe it was related to the hill and getting out of balance. Another poster chimed in saying it was a big hill.. I've had some fresh TBs get a little carried away after big hill efforts, so it may just be he was out of balance coming down the hill and got a little carried away..

I like your approach of schooling XC a few fences at a time and then walking. IME I find this practice very valuable for the OTTBs I've retrained. Teaches them that they are not just galloping around for long periods of time and IMHO relaxes and helps settles their brains a little.

I would see if you can get some outside ring experience. You don't have to jump. Doing canter sets on hills is enough, I think - the big thing is getting your horse used to handling terrain.
            "i'm a slow learner, it's true."

Comment

I use a C4 belt with no issue.

Do you know how to use a pully rein to stop a runaway horse? That is my first piece of advice.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Rnichols View Post
                I was at Fresno this past weekend too, also in the BN division (Sr. Rider) and came in at 5:18! That hill was huge! My mare is super green and I was worried about the hill as well. I REALLY had to sit her back down on her hocks and say "woah, woah, woah" the whole time. Very strong half halts were involved LOL. I did think that course rode great though, that was some of the most fun I've had out on cross country.
                Well, I'm glad one of us had fun! I'm still debating whether I had fun or not! I was in the Sr. beg novice too! I was the one in warm-up talking to my horse about our partnership (really I was trying not to cry so was talking to him and anyone that looked our way). I felt like I was saying whoa the whole course! But, he really only felt out of control by the bottom of the hill to jump 6. I very likely could have had him on his front end and then didn't get my position back enough to help him. I remember telling him easy and whoa. We managed to make jump 6 in stride so it all worked out, but was super scary. I'm hoping he just got carried away and maybe with practicing galloping more, this won't be a common theme with him. I'm hoping to go to a few more events next year instead of just my annual trip to Fresno. You guys are all my heroes and so very brave!

Comment

Originally posted by Puzzled View Post

Well, I'm glad one of us had fun! I'm still debating whether I had fun or not! I was in the Sr. beg novice too! I was the one in warm-up talking to my horse about our partnership (really I was trying not to cry so was talking to him and anyone that looked our way). I felt like I was saying whoa the whole course! But, he really only felt out of control by the bottom of the hill to jump 6. I very likely could have had him on his front end and then didn't get my position back enough to help him. I remember telling him easy and whoa. We managed to make jump 6 in stride so it all worked out, but was super scary. I'm hoping he just got carried away and maybe with practicing galloping more, this won't be a common theme with him. I'm hoping to go to a few more events next year instead of just my annual trip to Fresno. You guys are all my heroes and so very brave!
                  Haha small world! I'm always a chatterbox on my horse, so whenever I hear someone else having a conversation with their horse it seems normal .

I was the one on the chestnut mare with a wine glass clipped on one side and a bottle on the other . I think the more events you do the funner it will be! I hope you get to make it out to more next year - if you are in Sacramento, there's that Woodland event there. It's not my favorite, but it's close to you and it's all done in one day.....and everyone there was super friendly and welcoming. I'm hoping to get down to Twin next year, I've never been but I've heard its so pretty and fun!
                  I just started a blog!
                  Another Adult Amature and her OTTB: https://eventingottb.wordpress.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                    I use a C4 belt with no issue.

Do you know how to use a pully rein to stop a runaway horse? That is my first piece of advice.
                    I know how to do a one rein stop which I don't think would work on xc, so I will definitely google a pully rein stop! Thanks. I did forget about something my trainer just taught me. She called it skiing to the jump. Like when you water ski behind a boat. We only practiced this once, so wasn't in my toolbox on Sunday. Might have come in handy on a few jumps and down that scary hill!

Comment

Glad it worked out ok in the end! Work with your trainer on "what to do if ... " to be sure you recognize truly dangerous situations, and have the tool kit you need. Any time safety is an issue approaching a jump, circle and take your 20. That is eventing.

There is a difference between "runaway" and "fresh", and it sounds like may you had more fresh than runaway? If you got to and over the jump then likely your horse wasn't completely gone. True off-the-rails runaway is flat-out all-speed, nose and neck long and flat, no brakes, no steering, and possibly no jump. Those can be very very dangerous to the jump, because the horse may not lift off, but either slam into the jump or jump into the top of it. So do talk with your trainer about how to know when to do what in terms of self-preservation.

Interestingly in all the eventing and schooling I've seen, I can think of only one time when there was a real true totally out-of-control runaway with the rider still on the horse. Before I was into it I thought there must runaways everywhere, with all those big hot horses in the open country. And certainly there are times when a rider is carrying more speed than they would wish. But all that open space seems to give riders the time and space to get some marginal situations under control before things go completely to pieces. The real mind-blown runaways seem to mostly happen after the rider has been discarded on the ground - or anyway, of what I've seen.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
                        Glad it worked out ok in the end!

There is a difference between "runaway" and "fresh", and it sounds like may you had more fresh than runaway? If you got to and over the jump then likely your horse wasn't completely gone. True off-the-rails runaway is flat-out all-speed, nose and neck long and flat, no brakes, no steering, and possibly no jump.
                        Ok. So it sounds like he wasn't a runaway because I did feel like I had steering, just no real brakes. It wasn't a fun feeling for sure. I definitely need more galloping experience and will talk with my trainer about doing just that. I did watch a YouTube video of a pulley stop. I watched my video from INTRO last year and he did get quick with coming down hills (much smaller than the one on sun). So hill work would be good. I really hate cantering down hills. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Comment

If your horse is out of control (or feels out of control) please regain control first and then jump the next jump. Don’t jump xc fences out of control. It sounds like your horse probably wasn’t horribly out of control but it is a bad policy to continue on when you aren’t in control, especially after a downhill when your horse is already on the forehand.

Circle, regain a feeling of control, and then present to the fence.

Comment

I agree with the posters who said he got on his forehand coming down the hill. VERY hard to half halt that! A couple of suggestions from someone who once had a horse with a much bigger engine than brakes follow:

1. Consider a stronger bit until you know your horse can be balanced cantering terrain. Terrain is what really distinguishes eventing from every other jumping discipline (except fox hunting). If you can handle two reins, use a three ring bit (also sometimes called a bubble bit) with one rein on the top bubble (plain snaffle) and one on the bottom (emergency brakes). Even with one rein you and your trainer can decide which ring the rein needs to be on given the terrain of the day. Once your horse learns to balance better, you can go back to the KK. I used to start every season with the 3 ring and transition to the KK after one or two outings and my horse and I had reached an understanding.

2. School terrain somewhere. Extend trot uphill, collect trot downhill. Extend canter uphill, collect canter downhill. Try it a few times with no jumps involved and you'll get it.

3. In a competition situation, when there's a hill you are worried about, trot down. At the level you're going and at several levels up, there isn't any jump on course that can't be trotted safely. So go and have fun!
                            They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                            Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Even if the horse isn't running completely amok, the feeling of no control over the speed is one of the most frightening experiences in life. I've felt that way, and several riders who are much better than I am have said the same thing. Definitely we all want to be fully prepared in the 'what to do' department.

I'm frankly a bit surprised, OP, that your trainer has not already been over this thoroughly with you. Maintaining control when horses are trying to carry and even increase too much speed is one of the first cross-country lessons to learn, from outing #1. Even if hopefully that isn't needed right away, because it's always possible to happen unexpectedly with any horse.

Comment

So, picking up speed and ending up a bit on his head going down a hill is Entirely Normal. I ride with a very good clinician who routinely makes us jump a fence at the top of a hill specifically so we can get the feeling of tumbling down the hill a bit out of control. As he says, they don’t fall down running down hills on their own. As you get more experienced xc you will learn where you really need to make an effort to whoa or rebalance and where you can just let them roll along and sort it out later. It is exhausting and pointless to try and half half your way down a hill like that.
                                I’d mainly look at how he jumped the fence after - did he rebalance and jump it in a reasonable way? If so, I don’t think you have a problem. You just need more practice on terrain - I think this is one of the most overlooked and important skills for new eventers.
                                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Time to find a really big field, mark off some distances, bring a friend with a stop watch, and go gallop. Get a feel for m/m, and a horse galloping on rougher ground.

This is not just for your occasional forays into combined training, but for your education as a rider.

It takes doing to learn to balance not only you but also your horse on those down hill runs. So many of the what is now considered "old guard", such as Bruce and Ralph spent their spare time fox hunting.
                                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I think you need to practice riding down hills, using downward transitions to teach him to keep his balance. I suspect he simply lost his balance gallioping down.

Comment

First...you CAN circle on xc and not get a jump penalty as long as you have not presented to the fence. So if you ever feel like he is not listening...circle. Get your canter the way you want and then continue on.

But also based on what you have described...he really doesn’t sound out of control and probably really was not going very fast. Just faster than you are accustomed. Sounds like it would help you to do some cantering out of the ring more. I bet if you add a few more tools to your tool box....you would have more fun.
                                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

From a training perspective, practicing cantering downhill without getting on the forehand or picking up speed, is something that both horse and rider need to do.

In the heat of competition, there is no shame in pulling up, or circling, between fences to reestablish balance and control.
                                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Working...
                                        X