• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

A PSA to Eventing’s Armchair Quarterbacks: If You’re Not Doing This, You Don’t Get to Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A PSA to Eventing’s Armchair Quarterbacks: If You’re Not Doing This, You Don’t Get to Talk

http://eventingnation.com/if-youre-n...t-get-to-talk/

Sadly I think this post will be well shared, and thus more heads in the sand. Apparently if you complain about our sport, you don't actually do any of the things listed in the blog post.

And this is why, the John Holling piece gets ignored.

While I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, I can't help but shake my head at the 'unless you are doing it you don't get to talk' angle. People talk s*** on sports all the time, judge players and coaches openly. People comment on politics and reps. But since the grand majority of us aren't pro footballers on X team, or elected representative to the government, we shouldn't or aren't allowed an opinion?
    where you invest your love, you invest your life

Comment

I couldn't figure out who the author of that article was talking to/about. The author clearly states she competes at lower levels now, so I don't think she was saying "Only upper level riders" get an opinion. Jon Holling clearly isn't an armchair quarterback. I really have no idea who her intended audience was.

And her comments about endurance didn't make sense to me either. Sure, going to an event is a long day (waking up at 4am, yadda, yadda). But I don't get how that has anything to do with the discussions I've seen regarding endurance because that has to do mostly with the horse's fitness. Heck, I competed at breed shows as a kid and was up at 4am and didn't get home until 9pm but thinking that somehow correlates to endurance day of a long format is like comparing apples and monkeys. I really didn't understand what the point was the author was trying to make.

Comment

Ditto msmom.
        Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

ah, more EN trash. i stopped having respect for EN years and years ago. in that respect EN is like DE and his wad of frothy followers.. most people read it, some people agree with it, but many have moved on to more rational and intelligent platforms...

i'm assuming that person, like most people that are on EN, is very young and naive. in any event i am assuming she has not competed much considering half of what she says makes no sense..
          "i'm a slow learner, it's true."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by msmom View Post
            I couldn't figure out who the author of that article was talking to/about. The author clearly states she competes at lower levels now, so I don't think she was saying "Only upper level riders" get an opinion. Jon Holling clearly isn't an armchair quarterback. I really have no idea who her intended audience was.

And her comments about endurance didn't make sense to me either. Sure, going to an event is a long day (waking up at 4am, yadda, yadda). But I don't get how that has anything to do with the discussions I've seen regarding endurance because that has to do mostly with the horse's fitness. Heck, I competed at breed shows as a kid and was up at 4am and didn't get home until 9pm but thinking that somehow correlates to endurance day of a long format is like comparing apples and monkeys. I really didn't understand what the point was the author was trying to make.
            I know...I guess I took it personally since I am always one saying we need more of an endurance test.

But apparently me saying that means I do none of the following;
            Those today who are whining about “endurance” obviously haven’t gotten up at 4:30 a.m., driven two to three hours on the interstate with three or four precious horses in a 26-foot trailer, organized three riders, walked three cross-country courses, and ridden a dressage test before 8:30 a.m.
            Ummm...thats not what we mean by endurance.

Today, in our eventing, you have to be good at dressage, good at show jumping, and good at cross country to be close to the top of the classification, and I’m here to say THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. I don’t want to lay down a lovely dressage test, have a perfect show jump round, and a good cross country and get beat by someone who had a crappy dressage test or dangerous show jumping round. Just because they have more “endurance” by some outsider’s cockamamy standard. The people I compete against work hard. They are good. They can ride. It’s an insult to say that we need to add anything to the sport, to change it by going backwards because someone is nostalgic for the good old days.
            This is the attitudes we are fighting against.

Then there is this
            No longer is it enough to have “just OK.” You have to be good at withstanding the pressure of competition, too, as the sport has doubled in growth since the ’70s, too. The standards are all ratcheted upward and should be. No longer are we “just passing through” the dressage arena and show jumping arenas so we can get out on the cross country field.
            Has the sport doubled in growth? Have the standards ratcheted up? Shame on EN for printing this trash piece.

and finally we have
            So, the last event of the season in Area II was a good place for me to get out some of my thoughts, and the conclusion I have come to is this: you non-riders and non-eventers that somehow get to drive the emphasis in this sport need to shut the hell up.

Comment

Agree. Anyone telling me to "shut up" deserves to be ignored.
              I write checks for membership, I compete and volunteer when I can. And I don't have the luxury of living in Area II where eventing is plentiful.
              I damn well ought to feel like my voice is just as good as anyone else's.
              This is my concern as we go forward - that the sport is open to only certain voices. Is that the point the author is making? Because that's how it sounds. Who chooses what voices will be heard??
              I have been told multiple times in online forums that because I don't compete at the UL, then I should, again, essentially 'shut up'.
              What exactly does that accomplish???
              Does eventing want to continue in it's own echo chamber?
              I applaud Jon Holling for speaking out and his efforts to improve the sport. We cannot continue to shut down viewpoints we don't like and expect the sport to survive.

Comment

Since the author is a regular coth poster, perhaps she can chime in and discuss who the intended audience was. I agree with everything said above.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                  Since the author is a regular coth poster, perhaps she can chime in and discuss who the intended audience was. I agree with everything said above.
                  I had a feeling it was directed here... hopefully we can get some clarification then

Comment

As I consider this further, I sincerely wonder, why is the author of that piece so angry? Does she fear the demise of the sport? Does she prefer the changes to the sport and not want it changed again to favour XC more (this does appear to be one of her points)?

Or, perhaps, does she feel a bit helpless/hopeless about an elephant in the room - that there is a disconnect amongst popularity initiatives, safety initiatives, rules changes, inclusivity and the like?

Since she seems to be targeting non-participants in the sport (specifically, those who don't compete, own, run events, or volunteer), is she talking to show jumpers, dressage riders, reiners and combined drivers? Is she talking to the SPCA and HSUS?

In any event, her language is strong enough that she must feel she has some answers as she wants these people to "shut the hell up". What are her answers? What message does she feel is being drowned out by these "armchair quarterbacks"?
                    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

• Original Poster

My guess is the ppl of Coth are the armchair QBs....not realizing most of event, host shows, volunteer, or serve on boards involved in eventing in one way or another.

Comment

Ummmm... the getting up at 430, loading, driving, unloading yadayada yada, is there any discipline that does NOT involve that? Anyway, her tone is unfortunate and condescending. She’s entitled to her opinion but so are those she disagrees with and don’t think anybody told her to shut the hell up and get lost when they disagreed with her on here.

I won’t mention I do think she is right about the good old days not being so good but never personally Evented so I’ll just get lost.
                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Yeah, whatever message she is trying to convey gets lost with her condescending tone. When does telling people to shut up ever do anything except piss them off?

Comment

Originally posted by msmom View Post

I don't understand the hostility (or the point) of that opinion piece either. It sounds more like a personal rant than a considered opinion.

Comment

I took it as being directed at Denny. And his trashing of the sport as a whole..as well as those posts on his page.
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I wish those people circling the wagons and defending the status quo would spend more time being open to evaluating input from various well-reasoned voices that don't just affirm what they are already doing and less time in defensive posts like this. It's disheartening for those of us not in lock step. Why make this into us vs. them?

Comment

Add me to the list of people that don't understand the tone and context of the article. I'm not sure exactly which group she's referring--I'm presuming Denny and his "followers." However, as someone who makes their living being persuasive and arguing and defending their points in front of judges, I can tell you that typically telling those who you oppose you or have a difference of opinion to "shut the hell up" is largely the absolute least effective way of convincing someone of your position.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                    I took it as being directed at Denny. And his trashing of the sport as a whole..as well as those posts on his page.
                                    I am definitely one of those who should shut the hell up, so take this as the likely confusion of a smurf. How can anyone accuse Denny of not participating? He has horses he is bringing along in the sport, with one just completing her first two star this summer. Horses he has bred (I think) are out there competing. And he is still teaching others how to compete. I don't get the point of telling a guy who has spent over 50 years in the sport that he is not a participant.

Comment

That was just bizarre and unhinged-sounding. WTF? And if she thinks you can't get a ribbon with a scary XC round she must not event in he same areas as MML (for example).

Jennifer
                                      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                        Omg... if that's the case... people just need to let it go. They really can't handle him having a negative opinion eh.

I wouldn't call a man who events into his 70s an armchair QB though.

comments are interesting on the article too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X