• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do your event horses compete in other disciplines during the event season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your event horses compete in other disciplines during the event season?

I've been thinking about doing so Working Hunter stuff with Rue. It would be a nice break for us, and would help his show jumping, I think.

I'm worried that it might back him off on XC though. He is naturally quite bold, but needs a bit of sending on out on XC in the first couple of events of the season.

If you do compete in other disciples, what do you do and how does it affect your horses?

Thanks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I don't have time anymore to more than the odd jumper/ dressage show or hunter pace, but as a kid I did everything (via pony club and a mom who had done hunters)--games and polocrosse and horse shows and foxhunted and tetrathalon and stuff. It wasn't really a big deal, although most of my ponies/ horses were better at some things than others. You can definitely make a hot horse too hot, but I don't know that doing hunters will back off a quiet one, unless you really ride him backward.

Comment

since both I and my horses have a history of being dressage challenged, definitely dressage shows and with the greener horses definitely jumpers as well. I've never had one that wouldn't make a cat laugh in the hunters, so haven't done that, but wouldn't be averse to it, good opportunity to practice rhythm and my pathetic equitation.
      OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Kelly (Bonnie's mom) went back to her jumper roots on occasion, and I hunted her a few times.

Gwennie and I did a H/J show right before she got sick, did the 2nd Year Green Hunters, level 3 or 4 (?) jumpers, AND an equitation class! Nice ribbons in all of them, too.

Bonnie's done some dressage shows, we had to miss our 2nd level debut show but she was right there. She also has gone to the IDHSNA breed show a couple of times and done a little bit of everything there, including in-hand classes and a Calcutta jumper class.

Keebler is counting his lucky STARS that I missed the deadline for a late July dressage show by one day.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

In my barn most everyone both events and does dressage. My 5 year old is mainly a lower-level dressage horse at this point for me and my trainer--he will go to five dressage shows this year--but my trainer plans to take him to his first events this summer as well. I'd like him to be as well-rounded as possible.

I think the jumping and legging up on the trail has made him more sure footed and improved his canter as well.

Comment

I did a 25 mile endurance ride last year, 3 weeks after an event. It was great cross training for my horse. I also do jumper shows to help improve stadium, and hope to do some dressage shows this year.

Comment

So far this season I have done Eventing/ Combine training, open/4 H shows and H/J shows. I get bored doing one thing too often.
              http://community.webshots.com/user/desireekirsch

http://docreberlark.shutterfly.com/?role=-1

Comment

We will do the occasional jumper show or dressage show, but because we keep a pretty busy event schedule (we were at an event every weekend in June with some combination of horses and riders), we don't do THAT much. We have a few jumper or dressage venues that we like, so will often hit them up when they work into the eventing schedule.

When I first started eventing, I was in an eventing poor area, so I did local level hunters and the occasional jumper show to satisfy my competition bug.
                Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Our working hunters are quite like your hunter derbies- ridden quite forward, over natural looking jumps.

Can't hurt to give it a try, I guess.

Comment

I still love summer time because historically its that time of year where I did jumper shows. When I schooled at home or with my trainer we worked more on jumper protocols and a better base of flatwork that stressed quicker changes from lengthen to shorten and turning off the aids and less off the reins.

Also for some bizarre reason summer was the time where I (used to be) more courageous. I would school over 4'6" - 5'3" without blinking an eye. And in turn those overly huge fences ended up making later move ups in eventing feel like nothing. The jump from Training (3'3") to Prelim at 3'7" felt inconsequential as it was still 11"(!) below what I had schooled in the heat.

Later on (late 90's) I got challenged to do a hunter show in the summer and I realized how friggin hard hunters done right can be. So I do enjoy the challenge to work on the more seamless transition and steady pace that is so prevalent in the hunters and so lacking in eventing. I didn't win a lot, ok I didn't win at all. But I learned tons and would readily welcome a hunter show at any point with my horses. Its really fun to step outside the event framework and try other things. Team penning was the absolute best, but I highly suggest taking something smaller than 17 hands!!!! Put it this way, the turning radius of a younger cow is a lot tighter than that of a 17 hand long backed TB!!

~Emily
                    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Jumper Shows. At a recent event it paid off big time when we went double clear in stadium. We were the only pair to do so. Plus it's fun, and you can make some money.
                      May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                      www.mmceventing.com

Comment

We do jumper shows (and the occasional hunter show) during the season to work on my showjumping issues...and this year, we're taking a 6 week break from eventing in the heat of the summer to concentrate on jumpers while the ground is so awful...and we're actually having a great time!
                        ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
                        www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Comment

We only have shows (besides the odd indoor one) from April-October due to the weather. Although my first planned event was the last weekend in may and it was cancelled because of snow!! (lots of it, we had to drive all the way home in 4x4)

It feels like I am at something each weekend! This past weekend it was a dressage schooling show. But we've done 3 H/J shows and 2 Derbies (one was a make up from the cancelled event) as well.

Comment

I did team penning with my prelim. horse , but I guess you're wanting to know what else to do that would actually benefit your event horse

Seriously, all good suggestions above. Any time I can at least get mine out trail riding I think that's beneficial.
                            "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

Within a four week period around competing at young riders (in eventing of course) my horse and I were high point jr/yr at a dressage show competing at 2nd level and 1.20m (3'11") division champion at a jumper show. And I proudly share that my horse was one of three horses out of both eventing divisions to showjump clean on sunday!

Comment

• Original Poster

Did we lose posts? Maybe I'm cracking up....

I think I'll give it a try.There's a low level show coming up in a few weeks. Should be fun.

Comment

occasional foxhunting and more intense dressage in the winter

hunter paces along with events in spring- lighter dressage

events and a few hunter derbies or local hunter/jumper shows in summer to stay "clean" over fences- more breaks/time off during the really hot weather and lots of swimming with occasional dressage lessons (1x per month)

events/competitions in the fall with trails/hunter paces/cubbing/hound walking as a reward for her working hard- she LOVES this stuff and would rather not be in a ring at all!

*disclaimer- we do not compete/event at a high level, so we can do all this without her being overworked
                                  Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
                                  Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Comment

My guy has dabbled in the Open shows in the Halter and Showmanship classes... good for me as I am the county 4-H Horse club leader and need to help kids at the open shows and I was bored not having a horse to show myself. We also do the Hunters and Jumpers at the QH shows. I have even been known to sneak onto the trail obstacles but haven't shown trail yet at the open shows.

My Paint mare growing up did it all......we evented, showed heavily in the Paints winning tons of all-arounds, play dayed, trail rode, roped... you name it. I am a big big believer in they can do it all if we just take the time to train them.

Bobbi
                                    Bobbi
                                    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
                                    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Comment

If i had an unlimited competition budget and no husband, I'd definitely do dressage and jumpers once in a while...

but...

I stick to schooling shows and just do it to fill in the "gaps" -- so I'll do a short course (dressage and combined sj/xc), a combined test schooling show, and sometimes a summer jumper schooling show -- anything cheap and local.

I keep meaning to hunter pace but never quite get around to this...

but I will say that in the winter, it's their down time. They get ridden 5-6 days a week and we work on our skills, but they don't show and they don't do serious conditioning. I figure a break is good for them!
                                      The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I'll do some local jumper and dressage shows during the season just to keep us sharp. That and lots of trail riding, my mare goes western and english so very versatile. And because our trail rides generally consist of scaling mountains, her cardio gets a good workout as well.
                                        Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Working...
                                        X