• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

In the midst of an Ahhh--Haah moment....If I don't pull she won't pull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the midst of an Ahhh--Haah moment....If I don't pull she won't pull

I find as an adult re-rider that it never ceases to amaze me how much I can remeber the theory, know how I used to do it, but sometimes the muscle and the instinct just won't support.

My mare used to pull like a freight train, leave a stride out if given the chance, and move up 3-4 strides out always.

Since bringing her back to work after her injury and essentially restarting I have "discovered" that especailly now that she is stronger, if I stop pulling or even giving her something to pull against she doesn't pull, adds up to a nice deep distance, and the move up is gone.

Been a very interesting few months as I continue to challenge myself to really give up riding off my hand. If I sit up nice and straight and really stick my belly button out (use my core) coming into the jumps she won't pull, doesn't shift her balance and it all comes up great. No need for hand or anything in the bridle, just use my core...FACINATING

For my brain belly button out is very different from shoulders back. That was also a good piece to figure out. I can pull my shoulders back and still not engage my stomach muscles whcih is what I need to really hold my mare with my position. She is a smaller mare and super sensitive to my balance.

Now this week I changed her bit and we have found a more upright (i.e. no curling) balanced, forward canter getting nice approaches to my fences. Next goal is to figure out how to keep the steady rhythm just with my core through the landing and the corners. I can do it sometimes, but not always.

As I've known for a while, but just couldn't do before I can take a tug, but if I pull steadily all she does is pull against me and run. Finally figuring this out is really an Ah...Haahh for me.

Simple concept I know (that I should have had a while back), but excited that we are getting it now. I have been cantering a log on the ground in the ring everyday to just in-grain that feeling in my brain of a consistent steady rhythm, head up, balanced canter, NO HAND, and deep distance.

Piece that still seems to allude me is not coming back to my dependency on my hand when she gets crooked or is unsure. But that seems to be coming. Starting to realize if i am really good and straight in my body she will follow my eyes out, but I have to add more leg to keep her straight. Need to let go of the habit i have of using slowness to try to find the straightness. I tend to slow her down 4-5 strides out, find the straightness, then send her once she is striaght. Not very good on the horse where I am just figuring out how to get rid of the the move up. Curious if anyone else has fought through this same process and has any good mental images or tricks to use. I am thinking maybe I can start with ground poles and making myself canter a very specific spot on the pole at speed.

Alas...its a continual process. Convinced this is a why those of us type As love this sport so much.

Originally posted by Friday1 View Post
    I find as an adult re-rider that it never ceases to amaze me how much I can remeber the theory, know how I used to do it, but sometimes the muscle and the instinct just won't support.
    Love your post! The things that are counter intuitive to what we would perceive as safe are the toughest lessons to learn--and then hang on to!

Comment

Oh you are me! Great post!
      Two things - what bit did you have, and then change to -- interested to know.
      And second thing --- might help -- I think "rhythm" "rhythm" "rhythm" and try not to change it -- work work work on rhythm all the time and not let him vary from it. This is very hard to do, but I try -- and it seems to work the better I can be at maintaining the count in my head. Phillip told me once that consistency is how horses seem to learn the best.
      Oh and for the straightness. I keep my legs close but if I want to straighten I turn the toe out on the side that is bulging, that brings it in contact a little more and gets the barrell back in where it can be straight.
      Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
      Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

The easiest way to win the game of tug of war...is not to play.

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
          Love your post! The things that are counter intuitive to what we would perceive as safe are the toughest lessons to learn--and then hang on to!
          Its so true. Giving hand on a puller, putting more leg on a forward horse, getting out of the way over a fence by sitting back rather than leaning forward off the back. Its very very hard to develop good instincts because its always the opposite of what feels natural.

My coach always says "be the bigger man, dont give him anything to pull on". Its hard to be the bigger man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post
            My coach always says "be the bigger man, dont give him anything to pull on". Its hard to be the bigger man.
            I generally say that "one of you has to be adult enough to stop pulling first...and it isn't going to be your horse."

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
              I generally say that "one of you has to be adult enough to stop pulling first...and it isn't going to be your horse."
              any chance you're coming to Aiken with the rest of the Middle TN crew early March...I'm having a birthday party clinic with Lellie at Paradise Farm and would so LOVE for you and Tate to attend!
              ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

• Original Poster

luv all your responses

Be the bigger man and don't pull...i am going to make that a bumper sticker.

I am also learning the add leg on the forward horse. All these things definitely go together.

As far as rhythm I agree that is key. Starting to count strides on a regular basis over the poles. Its helping. Even if I am not always right about how many we have left (count down to jump) atleast I am keeping the rhythm.

Retread...I had her in a snaffle last year because she was so green and I just wanted to keep it simple. When she came back from her year of rehab I just wasn't strong enough to shake her off the bridle in the snaffle. I switched to a waterford for about 2 months. I also started doing flat in a phelam. The phelam helps tremendously on the flat because I can ride correctly with my body and if she still tries to pull through i close my hand, little curb, and stop the tug of war. BUT, she decided the waterford was too much last XC school. So i've now switched to a boucher french snaffle. Seems to be working well for now to jump and I will probably use it for dressage when competing. I think she still needs to do flat in the Phelam a couple of days a week to keep building proper muscle.

I was thinking about the turn the toe out earlier today. I think I will try that. She is a super game horse so we have a good base. In the process of trying to do less, sometimes we have a misscommunication and a stop, but I tell myself those are OK stops. She's not stopping because she is a stopper. She's stopping because I am figuring out how to communicate better with her and sometimes I miss.

Comment

I try to do visualizations and such about my little issues. What helped me with my strong mare was thinking of her head as a shopping cart that I needed to push to the base of the fence.
                  Eileen
                  http://themaresnest.us

Comment

Originally posted by Friday1 View Post
                    Be the bigger man and don't pull...i am going to make that a bumper sticker.

I am also learning the add leg on the forward horse. All these things definitely go together.

As far as rhythm I agree that is key. Starting to count strides on a regular basis over the poles. Its helping. Even if I am not always right about how many we have left (count down to jump) atleast I am keeping the rhythm.

Retread...I had her in a snaffle last year because she was so green and I just wanted to keep it simple. When she came back from her year of rehab I just wasn't strong enough to shake her off the bridle in the snaffle. I switched to a waterford for about 2 months. I also started doing flat in a phelam. The phelam helps tremendously on the flat because I can ride correctly with my body and if she still tries to pull through i close my hand, little curb, and stop the tug of war. BUT, she decided the waterford was too much last XC school. So i've now switched to a boucher french snaffle. Seems to be working well for now to jump and I will probably use it for dressage when competing. I think she still needs to do flat in the Phelam a couple of days a week to keep building proper muscle.

I was thinking about the turn the toe out earlier today. I think I will try that. She is a super game horse so we have a good base. In the process of trying to do less, sometimes we have a misscommunication and a stop, but I tell myself those are OK stops. She's not stopping because she is a stopper. She's stopping because I am figuring out how to communicate better with her and sometimes I miss.
                    Good thoughts and I am sure you are not as bad as you tell! (smiley face). You know I have a ton of bits but I don't have two of those you mentioned! I think I will add them to the collection. (I do have a pelham but loaned to a deadbeat boarder and never got it back.) My puller had a great jump school yesterday once I paid a lot of attention to making him give me a little bit of love on the half halt after a jump, when he tends to steamroll on. (See blog). I too have to remind myself to continually ride right and my horse is better for it.
                    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I am in the process of learning this lesson, too.....but I went too far last spring. I thought "hey--pulling is bad...so I'll give the reins A LOT". Uh, bad idea. (My pendulum always has to swing too far before it balances!!!).

I'm learning my horse LOVES light contact with the reins and legs throughout, which means I have to be balanced. It's amazing, but my balance has gotten a lot better because I've been concentrating on the light contact. (did I mention I'm also often getting places via the back door?)

GOOD FOR YOU!

I'm hoping to begin to put all this together soon on a more regular basis. My horse is thanking me.

Aren't they the BEST?
                      --Becky in TX
                      Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                      She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

I had the same epiphany this spring while schooling dressage on a blustery day in the middle of a hay field. I relaxed my elbows a micrometer and WOW. Now I just have to impress the same theory upon my young students.
                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

• Original Poster

Schooled over a X rail today at the trot focusing on not pulling, stretching up to, over, and on landing. What a difference. My mare was super. So nice to have such a big reward for changing my ride.

Additional ahh-haa from today is that I really have to shift my brain. Instead of thinking oh no her stride is getting to big, I have to just ride the rhythm i want and she will change back t me. If i try to change what she has done we seem to end up chasing each other (if that makes sense). She changes, I change, then she changes again in reaction to me. If i just stay the same she comes back to wherever we were to start with.

It was a good day! Even though it was 90 degrees at 8:00 in the morning in Jersey. damn heat wave.

Comment

Working...
                          X