• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Back On Track Products

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back On Track Products

Does anybody here use Back On Track products and do you feel they are worth the money?

I'm not usually sucked in by this stuff, but I had a friend give a glowing endorsement of the wraps and it made me consider buying them. That, and it's Friday before a three day weekend and I'm spending some quality shopping time with eBay.

I'm interested in purchasing the polo wraps and/or the no bow wraps.

The wraps are definately worth it. I have many sets myself. I also have the blankets. I also have the mattress topper for myself and notice a huge difference when I sleep away from home.
    Bruce D. is also a huge fan of their products. He has the wraps for all his horses for when they are done up at the end of a competition. He also wears their shirts and has their back support wrap and swears by it.
    Last edited by BigRuss1996; Jul. 2, 2010, 06:48 PM.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

I have the Quick Wraps, and I'm using them on my horse who's rehabbing from a tendon injury. I can't say they're making him heal faster (I wish!) but I think they do help take the filling out of his legs, especially since he's on stall rest and tends to stock up.

I just bought another set, in fact, at VTO's 21% off clearance sale
      ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

I started using them because I tried out the people back brace (I drive 6-12 hours to an event, and my back is pretty bad when I step out of my truck)....and it helped ME. So I got the standing wraps and the sheet, and while I can't say they're doing great things, I DO think they make my horse more comfortable. I figure if it helped me, it's probably helping them....!
        --Becky in TX
        Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
        She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm convinced. Just ordered the no bows from Smart Pak. I needed new wraps anyway, so even if these aren't magical they'll still be new and clean.

How do you guys wash them? Can you put them in the dryer?

Comment

Originally posted by TuxWink View Post
            I'm convinced. Just ordered the no bows from Smart Pak. I needed new wraps anyway, so even if these aren't magical they'll still be new and clean.

How do you guys wash them? Can you put them in the dryer?
            Per manufacturer, they can be washed in the washer but must not go in dryer. They say the heat of the dryer destroys the ceramic fibers which are what makes these wraps work. I used them for a long layup and I think they definitely increased blood flow to the legs.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. I'm going to have to hide these to prevent destruction by dryer. :0

Comment

I just got the back pad and the hock boots for my guy. He has only worn them once, so I'm not sure. But he's shipping to a show tomorrow so he's going to wear them on the trailer. I'm excited to see if they work. I can tell you his hocks felt very warm when I took off his boots after he wore them for only 30 min.

Comment

Do NOT, Do NOT, Do NOT use them in the trailer for farther than across town unless the horse has worn them for several weeks!!! The motion in the trailer further heats the leg and can make the legs swell badly. Every time you "stretch" the tendon sheath, you make the windpuffs more permanent. Don't know if it would actually hurt the horse (although we know overheating tendons can cause actual damage) but I would wait a bit.

My horse wore them daily for over a year (12 hrs a day) with no problems. Then I put them on for 6 hour trailer ride. When he came off his legs were huge under the wraps

Ok, so besides that issue... I love BoT products!!! My horse was on stall rest for 18 months for a minor suspensory injury. It would not heal. We did all the expensive treatments to no avail. He was as lame at 18 months as he was on day 1. I ordered the quick wraps (so the barn staff could easily take them off in the mornings). On the 11th day he was SOUND 3 months later he was back to full work!

Today he can go with his wraps for about 3 weeks and he becomes lame again which takes a week or two of having the wraps back on to go sound again. The vets feel this is because he basically has chronic tendonitis (desimitis of course since it's a ligament) and the wraps help with flexibility and inflammation. Its been over two years and we KNOW the back on track wraps are basically keeping this horse sound.

I will say though, if the horse doesn't have a problem (or a problem under the wrapped area ) then they don't do much. Can't fix a non-existant problem.

Comment

PS In my experience the wraps loose about 50% effectiveness after the first wash (cold water, no detergent) and once I left them over the vent (in the winter) to dry and I basically had very expensive no-bows after that. For my horse, I have to replace the wraps every 3-4 months of daily wear.

Comment

good to know flyracing. Thanks

Comment

Mine wears them the night before the show and on the trailer, without weeks of prep and he is fine. But I have had my no bows for about 2 years.

Comment

I LOVE my BOT products. I use the no-bows and quick wraps at shows and whenever a horse has any sort of an injury/abcess/swollen leg at home. I also ship in them (on the advice of my vet) and haven't ever had a problem on any of mine. I also have the sheet and that's where I've seen the biggest difference in my horses. My mare is the same horse on the 5th day of a show as she is on the first day if I use the sheet. She starts off day 5 (and sometimes 4 depending on the height we're jumping) sore and stiff without the sheet.

Comment

I have no-bows for the horse with suspensory problems and arthritis in his hinds. They make a BIG difference for him! He's much more willing to step under himself and my warm-up can be more compact.

A word of warning: after my vet broke her ankle and tore some ligaments in it as well, she bought the ankle brace. After two weeks of daily use, she said the effects completely wore off. We assumed this is a lot of the reason the instructions tell you to leave them off for a couple weeks on occassion. She could leave the brace off for 2-3 weeks and it would 'work' again. She says that your body adjusts to the temperature change that the wraps create, which is why they stop working after a few weeks. I use my wraps only before shows/lessons.

Comment

I have the leg wraps, the no-bow wraps, and the sheet and I love them.
                              I was a sceptic at first too, until after using the leg wraps the first time and saw how tight and cool the horse's ankles were the next morning.

I wash them by hand in cool water with Ivory and air dry flat.
                              A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

I LOFF my BOT elbow brace

I was a skeptic too, and tried it...loved and and now hubby stole it from me, so I have to get another one!!

Comment

• Original Poster

VERY excited now about receiving these! Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

I love the no bows, sheets, and pads... but would somebody be able to enlighten as to why they make polos? After all the research done that shows how heat can be destructive for tendons why would they come up with polos to trap the heat while the horse is working. I could understand using them if I was just going for a gentle hack where I wouldn't be doing much trotting or cantering but couldn't they be harmful if one were to do much more? If a normal boot (not designed with cooling the tendons in mind) used for intense work has the ability cause temperatures that might be harmful, then what good would a polo do that was intended to trap heat.

Just a bit curious about that...

Comment

I love these products. My mare loves making minor cuts/bangs on her legs, and has a HUGE swelling response to the slightest scratch. Without some intervention, the swelling lasts for weeks/month or more. These products used for a couple hours for a few days take the swelling down permanently, while regular wraps take a few weeks, and are worn for much longer periods of time. Recently she banged her knee. Vet said no damage, just tissue swelling. I got the knee boots and they work great, although they tend to slip down. I threw on the regular BOT quick wraps under them and it worked well to hold them up. With these wraps I haven't had to use bute, and notice that they work better for her swell response than it did anyway. For anyone wondering, yes she wears protective boots etc, we are talking minor cuts and bangs with a huge swelling. What she really needs is to live in a protective bubble..... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jlacy116 View Post
                                        I love the no bows, sheets, and pads... but would somebody be able to enlighten as to why they make polos? After all the research done that shows how heat can be destructive for tendons why would they come up with polos to trap the heat while the horse is working. I could understand using them if I was just going for a gentle hack where I wouldn't be doing much trotting or cantering but couldn't they be harmful if one were to do much more? If a normal boot (not designed with cooling the tendons in mind) used for intense work has the ability cause temperatures that might be harmful, then what good would a polo do that was intended to trap heat.

Just a bit curious about that...
                                        The BOT wraps do not reflect heat. They reflect the heat generated by the horse's body back from the wrap as infrared energy (or light?), which is why they're helpful for injuries and in products like saddle pads and polos where you wouldn't typically want to increase heat. My vet did a lot of research into the BOT products because she was bothered by the idea of "heating up" any injury, and said that once she figured out the method by which they work she can't understand why it's not emphasized more in their marketing materials.

Comment

Working...
                                        X