• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Happened at Inavale? (XC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened at Inavale? (XC)

I was just looking at StartBox (http://eventingscores.com/eventsr/inavale/ht0610/) and saw an inordinate number of refusals, eliminations, and rider falls in the Novice and Beginner Novice divisions, especially around Fences 10/11 and 15.

Does anyone know what happened up there? I think it's so unusual and unsafe to have FOURTEEN rider falls and NINETEEN eliminations (not including TEs) over two levels Anyone have the inside scoop?

I'm probably not the best person to answer because I wasn't riding but I was there and had friends riding. On Novice, fence 11 was a trakenhor that caused a ton of refusals and fence 15 was a ditch. I don't really know what happened for BN ( I was warmup steward for dressage while it was going). I only watched a few training rides go (I was mostly back at parking) but kept hearing about the carnage. The few rides I did watch the water complex, trakenhor, and ditch all caused a few problems.

On a somewhat related note, I heard through the rumor mill while at the event that the one fall rule might not apply to the lower levels anymore and that there is data analysis that supports this. I can't find it online- can anyone tell me where I might find the data analysis. I'd be curious to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
      On a somewhat related note, I heard through the rumor mill while at the event that the one fall rule might not apply to the lower levels anymore and that there is data analysis that supports this. I can't find it online- can anyone tell me where I might find the data analysis. I'd be curious to see it.
      British Eventing rejected the one-fall rule on the basis of data they'd collected.

This previous thread has a rather spirited discussion of the rule and the data behind it.

Comment

Thanks, I searched earlier today and read through the thread you have linked. I was just wondering if any more detailed stats about falls had been made available.

Comment

Course designer listed for this event is Tremaine Cooper.

I took a look at the results. The open divisions seemed to fare better. This would stand to reason since it looks as if open competitors may have mostly been more experienced riders, i.e., trainers, or possibly more experienced horses.

With regard to the obstacles....not there, no idea what the problem was -- but here's my general take: (bear in mind I am on a course design warpath, as many of you well know and are quite sick of, I am sure...)

Ditches, trakehners are acceptable fence designs for these divisions. However, we all know (or should know) that in creating courses and course design, the clever designer can make a jump of seemingly small size tremendously difficult just based on placement and circumstances. (Downhill, uphill, on a turn, into or out of a dark to light approach, etc.)

Course design; course design; course design. Know how horses see jumps, even at the very lowest levels, false ground lines and weird approaches make things very difficult. ALL riders need education in course design! (OMG, she's sounding like a broken record...)

BN, N are INTRODUCTORY IN NATURE and need to leave riders and horses with a positive experience, guiding them in the right direction as they compete, so that the end result is confidence building and educational; "what did I learn over that jump, and what did I find out about my horse today on that course?" Not a survival of the fittest or extreme riding test. Just sayin'.

(One thing that bothers me -- sometimes what is listed in the omnibus is not what actually ends up being the personnel at the event, and they aren't required to post that in a public way. You end up going to the event and finding out the judges listed weren't the ones who actually judged you, or whatever. I wish that when they hire officials they must update the USEA omnibus page online with their names.)
          Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
          Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I haven't seen the course in question but I have ridden novice, training, and prelim courses by Tremaine Cooper here in Area II.

They have always been among the MOST horse-friendly courses I have seen. They begin with open, inviting fences building in size, then introduce more technical questions gradually. They are not tricky or deceptive for the horses. They can, however, be on the big side.

Speaking as someone who hates trakheners and has a ditchy horse, those can be very intimidating to the rider without being technically difficult. A pro rider can ride down to a novice trak on a green horse with a confident, forward ride. If you are riding down thinking "yikes".....
            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

This is why I wish that the omnibus would not just put in the phrase "average of horses with some experience at this level". I have competed at Inavale before, and this trakhener must be new. I do believe that at the novice level, if you are going to put in a fence like that it should be VERY inviting to both horse and rider and/or you should have an option. What if you have never introduced that type of fence to your horse? I don't think at a competition especially at the BN/N level should be the first time you and your horse see a specific type of fence. I saw a mini one at Happs one year, and the TD had them put in an extra log as a bigger ground line. It was still a trakhener, but not as airy and rode really well and gave both horse and rider positive experiences with this type of fence.
              JMO

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                I haven't seen the course in question but I have ridden novice, training, and prelim courses by Tremaine Cooper here in Area II.

They have always been among the MOST horse-friendly courses I have seen. They begin with open, inviting fences building in size, then introduce more technical questions gradually. They are not tricky or deceptive for the horses. They can, however, be on the big side.

Speaking as someone who hates trakheners and has a ditchy horse, those can be very intimidating to the rider without being technically difficult. A pro rider can ride down to a novice trak on a green horse with a confident, forward ride. If you are riding down thinking "yikes".....
                Similar sentiment, Asterix. That is why I wonder what happened. There must have been a disconnect somewhere between what was designed or envisioned and what ended up being the actual question? Something.

And you know, sometimes, there is no real answer, just a series of horses and riders unprepared or making mistakes. I'm one of those, so I know how it goes! (And the reason I feel a responsibility as an eventer to educate myself on course design so that I don't unfairly ask my horse to do something he can't figure out or understand.)
                Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

• Original Poster

I just heard from a friend at Inavale that the trakehner on the Novice XC course *used* to be on the Training course, but was moved down to the Novice because it was just small enough.

I also heard that the ditch at 15 was a "big-a$$" ditch in the middle of nowhere, so caught a lot of horses by surprise.

On the Training course, anyone know what jumps #6-8 were? Those had a TON of stops/rider falls/eliminations...

Comment

On training, fence 7 was the water complex and fence 8 was the trakehner. There were some ugly rides through there. I've schooled fence 15 (ditch) before and if I'm remembering correctly it a down hill, ditch, up hill to go out, if that makes sense.

Comment

Never mind the jumps -- what's with all the time faults at BN?

Time faults, in horses who jump clean, at BN?

This is not a way to encourage safe riding. It is never safe to go at speed over small fences.

Comment

This is just a guess regarding time faults at BN, but there was a mandatory water crossing on course that a few horses took their time deciding to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                          Never mind the jumps -- what's with all the time faults at BN?

Time faults, in horses who jump clean, at BN?

This is not a way to encourage safe riding. It is never safe to go at speed over small fences.
                          I think they are time faults, as in over optimum time, not speed faults.

Comment

Originally posted by ens0613 View Post
                            I just heard from a friend at Inavale that the trakehner on the Novice XC course *used* to be on the Training course, but was moved down to the Novice because it was just small enough.

I also heard that the ditch at 15 was a "big-a$$" ditch in the middle of nowhere, so caught a lot of horses by surprise.

On the Training course, anyone know what jumps #6-8 were? Those had a TON of stops/rider falls/eliminations...
                            Nope, the trakehner was a new fence. It was smaller than the training trakehner and had a "ground line" log in front of it - pretty inviting, but a trakehner none the less.

Here's a pic. Novice trak on left, training on right. Looking down at it slightly since there's a small slope down to it.

InavaleTrak
                            Last edited by myLittleArabPony; Jun. 28, 2010, 11:06 AM. Reason: Added link to pic.

Comment

Originally posted by myLittleArabPony View Post
                              Nope, the trakehner was a new fence. It was smaller than the training trakehner and had a "ground line" log in front of it - pretty inviting, but a trakehner none the less.
                              The N trakehner was indeed a new fence, Novice-height, and with a log ground line. You had a long approach to the trakehner and a slight uphill landing. It looked very inviting to me, but trakehners have always looked inviting to me, and I know I heard a lot of N riders worrying about it.

The N ditch was at the end of a long downhill - I let my mare trot down that hill because her canter needs work and I didn't want to have to worry about making her 'sit' down the hill. We've schooled at Inavale before, so maybe it was easier because my mare knew the ditch was there. I wouldn't call the ditch huge, though. Maybe three feet across, with the landing side just a bit lower than the takeoff side. I think it's revetted on the takeoff side, or at least it has a small log sort of set into the ground, and the landing side is natural.

I was surprised at how forward I had to ride to make the time, given that the speed was supposed to be 375. I wasn't chasing or anything, but I got a little gallop going on some of the longer stretches between fences. I had two moments of trotting (through the water and down one hill) and some moments of pretty forward, and ended up hitting OT.

I think overall it was definitely a tough course. There was also a big brushed fence in the woods off a turn, inviting in that you had room to approach and it was ramped, but it looked a bit intimidating. In my division, almost half were eliminated on XC, but the other half tended to have only time penalties (I think there was one stop). It was a pretty sharp contrast.

I decided to be contrary and went double-clear on a very tough XC but got 3 refusals in Stadium At least SJ is easier to work on at home...

Comment

Inavale

The course at Inavale was good and challenging especially at the lower levels. there a lot of terrain changes at Inavale

The course designer took good advantage of those changes. the issues at the Novice Trak were preceded by the bank and water complex. If riders looked down into the water (counting frogs?) they tended to have issues at the trak (frog hunting again). The "open ditch" has been on the BN course for years and always gets a fair number of stops.

With a record year for rain the footing on Friday was soft and sticky riders who picked and lost position has issues.

The whole crew at the event did a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by WishIWereRiding View Post
                                  I think they are time faults, as in over optimum time, not speed faults.
                                  I didn't think they were speed faults.

A BN course should be measured and timed generously enough for a green horse/rider to get around steadily and safely. This might include walking or trotting through the water and trotting a fence or two.

What you don't want is green riders too focused on making the time, thinking they have to gallop or rush along or try to make up time. BN is not, in terms of the sport of eventing, an end in itself; it's an introductory level.

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                                    This is just a guess regarding time faults at BN, but there was a mandatory water crossing on course that a few horses took their time deciding to go in.
                                    Read through this thinking about a gelding at the barn that tried XC this weekend. Rider got the boy to the water and he leaped in like it was Christmas. However he was not keen on coming OUT of the water. He's the one standing in the water trough out in the pasture and making mud holes out of puddles.
                                    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                    Originally Posted by alicen:
                                    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Tremaine is one of our most experienced course designers. My experience with his courses teaches that they are usually fully up to level (not gimmes) but very fair, and that they build as they go around the course. He's emphatic about not "trapping" horses, rather making the jumps flow together.

Reading between the lines, I suspect the new course and designer caught a few horses a ditch school or two away from being competitive.

Comment

Just got back from Inavale and I absolutely LOVED the courses!!! It was the most forward, old-fashioned, simple, and BIG course I've seen in awhile. Nothing overly technical, but absolutely demanded that riders came out of the box kicking and riding defensively. So anyone who tipped forward, picked, looked down, rode backwards, etc. was definitely going to have problems. I think that the majority of the problems at training and below exposed the fact that most people out there are not truly learning to ride cross country. This was not a gallop-then-showjump course. Very horse-friendly, but the riders who got psyched out by looking down at a ditch or scared by some brush were penalized.

The only thing that I do think should be amended is the way xc courses are described in the omnibus. I think competitors would be helped by knowing that the max heights and widths WOULD be used, although with technically simple design.

Can't wait to go back!

Comment

Working...
                                        X