• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Groton House Wrapup (was Groton House XC tomorrow!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groton House Wrapup (was Groton House XC tomorrow!)

Anyone still on their computer who will be there?

My mare and I had our dressage lesson this morning. Unfortunately, while we are now in the same solar system, we are still on different planets. My goal is to not be last by 15 points after dressage, and to go clean XC.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by frugalannie; Jun. 28, 2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: Tempis fugit
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Yes, I am here!

I am at work tho, and cannot concentrate! I am leaving soon to go get my packet, check out xc, and then off to clean the pony and pack the trailer.

Have FUN, be safe and do your best!

oh, wait, those are my goals

Comment

Had to scratch

Five years of dreaming of being a competitor while watching my horse compete there with professionals. Finally I'm ready. To be sure I got in, I went to the Area 1 Annual Meeting and won the entry in the silent auction.

I'm in... so excited, got new gear so I would look the best I could for the video and pictures I planned on buying....

I forgot the bubble wrap for my horse... She fractured her lower right splint bone somehow in her paddock. Surgery yesterday... 6-8 weeks to recuperate.

Good news, I still have a running and jumping horse at the end of the time... yet, I'm still sad at the loss of GHF.

Have a great ride!!!!!!
      Live, Laugh, Love
      http://confessionsofanaaer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh no, Cantereoin! What rotten luck! Big virtual hugs.

You can still come and volunteer. I'll be in the scoring bus all XC morning helping out. Want to come and help?

NoviceEvntr, best of luck, and yes, definitely have fun.

Good luck to everyone else who'll be riding.

Comment

so sorry Cantereoin, what rotten luck. Hoping for a full recovery for your girl.

frugalannie have fun, the hopes of horsegrannies everywhere are with you (along with our supply of voltaren and advil)

good luck to everyone!!
          A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
            Oh no, Cantereoin! What rotten luck! Big virtual hugs.

You can still come and volunteer. I'll be in the scoring bus all XC morning helping out. Want to come and help?

NoviceEvntr, best of luck, and yes, definitely have fun.

Good luck to everyone else who'll be riding.
            I can help after I braid two horses before noon... I've done scoring at Apple Knoll... so if you don't mind someone stale, I would be happy too. I'll stop by
            Live, Laugh, Love
            http://confessionsofanaaer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I feel you Cantereoin, I called and scratched this morning...

At the end of a good XC school last weekend, my normally sure-footed mare lost her footing landing off a decently sized table and we both slammed into the ground at full speed. I ended up in the ER with a partially collapsed lung, and after much convincing, the doctors persuaded me it was better to let myself heal rather than hop right back on a horse. I am so lucky that horse and I walked away with relatively minor injuries, but so bummed to be missing Groton House!

Thanks for letting me whine a bit. Good luck to all competitors. I will be there cheering you on on Saturday!

Comment

You all have my best wishes, for nice rounds at GH, or horse recovery, or human recovery. I will be elsewhere this weekend, which makes me sad, because GH is my #1 favorite event for spectating.
                You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I just got home from bathing, braiding and packing. Thanks to Babble who cleaned my tack or I would still be at the barn!

Keep your eyes open for a cute buckskin going novice/training.
                  That will be us!
                  It takes a good deal of physical courage to ride a horse. This, however, I have. I get it at about forty cents a flask, and take it as required. ~Stephen Leacock

Comment

Originally posted by CANTEREOIN View Post
                    Five years of dreaming of being a competitor while watching my horse compete there with professionals. Finally I'm ready. To be sure I got in, I went to the Area 1 Annual Meeting and won the entry in the silent auction.

I'm in... so excited, got new gear so I would look the best I could for the video and pictures I planned on buying....

I forgot the bubble wrap for my horse... She fractured her lower right splint bone somehow in her paddock. Surgery yesterday... 6-8 weeks to recuperate.

Good news, I still have a running and jumping horse at the end of the time... yet, I'm still sad at the loss of GHF.

Have a great ride!!!!!!
                    Oh my what a terrible news. I remember meeting you and your mare a few years ago in stabling. I can't imagine you would remember but maybe...I was the bald woman in the Life is Good basebacll cap.

What a nice mare. I'll keep the good vibes going for her recovery. There is always next year!!!

Take care,
                    T

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, XC starts tomorrow.

Mare and I are as ready as we'll ever be.

Dressage today was a complete surprise. Despite the fact that we were still on distant planets early this morning, and I was carrying a huge amount of stress due to all the rest of my life (Fred, I think I needed valium and ibuprofen, but went in cold turkey), we had a dressage test that pleased me greatly. IMHO, it was several major steps above our previous best efforts. And no matter how the judge scores it, I praised my mare mightily and told her how wonderful she is.

Hope it carries through to tomorrow!

Hope everyone else had a good day too.

Off to course walk.

Comment

I'm stressing about the trakehner on the novice course. A trakehner! On novice! A real one with a real ditch underneath, not a shallow trench or anything.

Yep, been stressing mightily after seeing that one.

Got a 36 in dressage, which was right about where I thought my score would be when I left the ring. Was NOT expecting to find myself in 17th with a 36, however! Some stellar horses in my division, for sure.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
                          I'm stressing about the trakehner on the novice course. A trakehner! On novice! A real one with a real ditch underneath, not a shallow trench or anything.

Yep, been stressing mightily after seeing that one.

Got a 36 in dressage, which was right about where I thought my score would be when I left the ring. Was NOT expecting to find myself in 17th with a 36, however! Some stellar horses in my division, for sure.

FWIW, every GHF course I've ridden has been more of a rider problem than a horse problem, if you know what I mean. If you can conquer the demons in your cranium, you will ride a great and fun XC. If your brain gets in the way...

Good luck tomorrow to all competitiors. Even those 12 points ahead of me!

Comment

The x-country was awesome yesterday =D My overall goal is not to be last and finish up on the dressage score...goal accomplished! ;p The dressage is a such a struggle...it's good at home but away from home...

Comment

What was causing all the E's and TE in SJ?

Joan from Flatlands
                              Joan Davis
                              http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/
                              http://flatlands-equestrian.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Joan from Flatlands View Post
                                What was causing all the E's and TE in SJ?

Joan from Flatlands
                                Which division? I saw in one of the training divisions a rider left a fence out (doh!) and another after a clear round unfortunately slowed up and turn to leave just before going through the finish flags. I had to keep telling myself do NOT forget the coloured oxer after the combo...do NOT forget! ;p

Comment

Didnt seem to be confined to one level / division - pretty much across the score board! Im guessin the TEs were off course or missed flags but what was up w all the Es?

Joan from Flatlands
                                  Joan Davis
                                  http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/
                                  http://flatlands-equestrian.com/

Comment

Personally I always find stadium at GHF tougher than xc (UNH too). I saw a few people in the Novice/TN ring miss fence 8, a few fences you had to be turning as you were landing, setting a few teams up for awkward lines/distances.

Well, I met my goals- we finished safely! What a blast xc was! how fun! I was very happy with our dressage score, were clean xc, had a stop in stadium, but then sailed right over it. What a great weekend! The volunteers are amazing!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi Joan.

I only watched a few go in the lower ring (site of many TEs I believe). A number of people missed fence 8. It was on a bending line to the left, away from the final two fences. And I saw one rider, whom I'm sure would prefer to remain unidentified, do a beautiful, balanced turn after the final fence away from the finish flags and out of the ring. OUCH!

And I met my goal of qualifying for the T3D, and my coach's of finishing on my dressage score!!

Hope everyone else had a good go, too.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviceEvntr View Post
                                        Personally I always find stadium at GHF tougher than xc (UNH too). I saw a few people in the Novice/TN ring miss fence 8, a few fences you had to be turning as you were landing, setting a few teams up for awkward lines/distances.
                                        Oh yeh, fence 8...was no problem when I walked it the first time but I found myself while walking a seconding going right from fence 7b over to the last line and had to stop myself when I saw others going to the left....was thinking "where are they going?? Oh yeh!! doh!" Kept repeating it it my head...go left go left go left!

Comment

Working...
                                        X