• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Studying for the HB rating- Update!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying for the HB rating- Update!

I figured since last year I got such great advice on the C2 that I should ask about the HB now. I'm taking it August 6th and to be honest, I just started studying for it in earnest. I have the Pony Club cards, but I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to study them. Usually if I make flash cards for school I have the question or word on one side and the answer on the back. I could write on the back of these, but some of them pose several questions on one card. Should I just make duplicates of the whole stack? Use PowerPoint? Quizlet.com?

This rating is definitely stressing me out!
    Last edited by KBG Eventer; Aug. 7, 2010, 10:50 PM.
    T3DE Pact

Hey. Good for you for taking the HB. And no worries, i literally studied for my HA maybe a week or two ahead of time and passed most of it (i just had to retake two sections, that i passed later!).

What I found the most helpful was reading articles on thehorse.com or utilizing the resources used by i think it is middle california region. They have their you-know-what together. Everything is organized by different sections - study notes, articles, etc. I found this was most helpful when trying to keep things straight. Like if you had a specific situation for influenza or strangles, it stuck better. I can't remember the exact web address, but if you search their website - it is sure to be there.

Also what i found helpful was a "study guide" some of the examiners had written and presented at a USPC convention. I found that via google.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...HB+study+guide

Ha! I found most of it. Just search the internet a little, buy a bunch of snacks and caffeine and there you go!

But what is MOST IMPORTANT is to practice. Have a "mock rating" and go through things with an older PCber or someone who knows the standard and take the test. First do it in sections, then do the entire thing with this person.

Lastly - so much of it is practical, so don't just hide away in the house studying. Go out to a busy barn/ go out to a barn when you know the vet/farrier/dentist/chiropractor/trainer is coming and ask questions. Watch your coach give lessons. Are you seeing what they see? I thought I was being annoying, but most of these people loved explaining what they do and why they do it!

And if there is one section that you are sticky with, or want to learn more about - don't hesitate to find some article or book about it. (for instance, laminitis... i found a great book about all the different shoeing solutions for it, and was able to teach my examiner about them!).

If i can think of anything else, I'll add more later

Comment

• Original Poster

Woah! Thank you x1000 DGE.

The Mid-CA page is SO organized and helpful. They ARE on top of things!
      T3DE Pact

Comment

The thing that helped me the most was making a study guide. And I am not talking about a measly sheet of paper... my study guide filled a 1" binder to the point of the rings popping open and the pockets splitting from the binder. I got tab dividers and made a section for each category listed on the test sheet (be SURE to reference the test sheet, and not just the cards. I know a girl who thought everything was on the cards and failed her test because she hadn't studied about half the information). Then, just go through and type up everything you could possibly say about the topic. That way, when you are quizzing yourself or having someone else listen to you, there is an easy way to check that your answers are right- heck, I even refer to my study guide every once in a while now! It really is an excellent resource. Plus, if you go over-the-top on details, it will be nothing but helpful for the HB AND you can use the same study guide for the HA without having to edit too much.

The cards are really your best bet other than that- after you've gone through and typed everything up, you should find that you don't need to write it on the back of the card... most of it should stick in your brain after you read it, write it, and read it again. If it doesn't, then have your study guide for reference.

You can also make some of your own cards, which is something that really helped me for sections like poisonous plants.

Good luck! The HB is really not as challenging as you think it will be. The knowledge is all very practical and is stuff that you probably deal with more than you realize. Most of your jitters will come from taking your first national test (assuming you aren't a C+, lol).

Comment

For the HB, if you can answer all the questions on your cards, you'll be ok. I wrote the answers on the backs of the cards, for the ones that fit into that format. Make sure a national examiner (if you have one available) or an older PCer who has taken the rating checks over your conditioning schedule, record book and lesson plan. Know your poisonous plants - you can make flashcards with the picture on the front and the name & information on the back.

Good luck! Some of the stuff on the cards is sort of obscure, especially in the tack section. You can look a lot of it up online, but if you draw a card at the rating and they don't have the piece of tack, you will get to draw another card.

Comment

Just to be clear, the cards do not cover all the sections. It may sound simple, but read the standard carefully. Practice your teaching and taking the vital signs, plus look at teeth, practice the shoe removal.
            Where are you taking it?
            www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

I took my HB two years ago and did not pass because of the conditioning schedule. Whatever you do, DO NOT follow the guidelines the USPC sends to you for the conditioning schedule.

I followed it, thinking it was a general workout that I had to put together to have fit, healthy horses, and when I went to my testing the examiner laughed in my face, basically. She wanted something that "If I were to be abducted by aliens, she would be able to pick up exactly where I was and continue the program as if nothing had happened."

Also, you have to tailor it to your horse, so if you have a heavier horse, what might you do different than having a thoroughbred who is easy to keep fit? My examiners issue was that I had a conditioning schedule meant for a horse going prelim, but I wasn't competing at that level. Even though I explained to that I liked to have my horses more fit, she wouldn't hear it.

Know the HB cards inside and out! Ask your pony club if they will order a copy so you can study!
              Good Luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm confused about the cards. I thought they use the cards during the rating? Like for nutrition, each person chooses a grain, a hay, and bedding to "identify and evaluate" it addressing availability, cost, pros/cons, etc. Then each person draws an A card (Nutrient) and two B cards (Rules of Feeding). What information is not in the cards? I'm making a study guide too, but I'm going to use the cards as well. I bought them two years ago while I was at the KHP for a rally.

eSpresso, I think the way you are describing what the examiner said is how PC explains the conditioning schedule but maybe I'm confused. My horse was sick, and I will only have 6 weeks when he comes home this weekend. So I talked to my DC, and my plan right now is just start riding my horse and keep track of what I'm doing with him on a calendar. I'm going to make a plan with my vet and trainer. He was fit before this, but he lost a lot of muscle. It's probably not going to be a "normal" Novice/Training level schedule. And the last two weeks will just have to be what I'm *planning* to do with him.

The rating is in Birmingham, AL.
                T3DE Pact

Comment

Originally posted by KBG Eventer View Post
                  I'm confused about the cards. I thought they use the cards during the rating? Like for nutrition, each person chooses a grain, a hay, and bedding to "identify and evaluate" it addressing availability, cost, pros/cons, etc. Then each person draws an A card (Nutrient) and two B cards (Rules of Feeding). What information is not in the cards? I'm making a study guide too, but I'm going to use the cards as well. I bought them two years ago while I was at the KHP for a rally.
                  They do use the cards for the test, and there is no extra information you will be expected to know from any section that has cards. However, there are certain things that you need to know that do not have cards (for example, how to fit a bridle, toxic plants, and various other things). Everything you will be tested over is in the test sheet, but it might not be in the cards.

eSpresso, I think the way you are describing what the examiner said is how PC explains the conditioning schedule but maybe I'm confused. My horse was sick, and I will only have 6 weeks when he comes home this weekend. So I talked to my DC, and my plan right now is just start riding my horse and keep track of what I'm doing with him on a calendar. I'm going to make a plan with my vet and trainer. He was fit before this, but he lost a lot of muscle. It's probably not going to be a "normal" Novice/Training level schedule. And the last two weeks will just have to be what I'm *planning* to do with him.
                  I agree with eSpresso- do NOT follow the conditioning schedule that USPC sends you. I was given the sample schedule from a national examiner as a "what-not-to-do," and told that if I showed up at a national test with that, there was no way I would meet standards. Luckily, I already had a pretty in-detail conditioning schedule and didn't have to change anything, and I got exceeds. So you don't have to follow any PC formula to do well on the test.

You do, however, HAVE to have a conditioning schedule for the time specified (I think it's 8 weeks). There was a kid at my test who had only had his horse back in work for five weeks before the test because of a suspensory injury. Since he only came with five weeks worth of information, he didn't pass. What I did, and what the examiners told him to do, was to make a hypothetical schedule. In an ideal situation, how would you best prepare your horse for a hypothetical rally, event, etc? Make an eight-week plan with your competition at the end, and be sure you specify in your introduction that the schedule is for a hypothetical horse (which does make it a bit harder to make TPR changers, but you can just use old ones from your horse developing fitness or make educated guesses about how much the horse's TPRs would probably change.) Since you have one with your last two weeks planned out, it might be fine, but I would ask a NE before your test to see if it is alright. You might want to be safe and come with a backup hypothetical schedule just in case.

Comment

On the conditioning schedule - just make it hypothetical. It's easier that way. I almost failed the conditioning schedule, but re-wrote it during the lunch break because I wanted to pass that day (you can fail up to 3 sections, I think, and be given the opportunity to re-test at the discretion of the examiners).

Write a sample conditioning schedule now, and have an examiner or HB/HA Pcer review it for you. I also have a sample one I can email you if you PM me.

The things that aren't in the cards are pretty basic (TPR, fitting a bridle, knowing how to pull a shoe but not actually doing it, the groundschool lesson). All those things are in the standard. So, basically, make sure you can do everything on the standard, and know answers for all the cards.

The main thing about the HB is maturity and being sure of yourself, as well as being prepared. If you're weak on a few points, you'll be ok, especially if you are very strong in other areas.

Comment

Yes, we use the cards during the rating. What I am saying is something are not on cards, like the principal bones, tendons and ligaments of the legs, TPR, Shoe removal. Check the standards.
                      Does that clear that question up for you?
                      In the PC info there is a conditioning RECORD, not a SCHEDULE. You need a schedule for 8 weeks.
                      www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by shea'smom View Post
                        Yes, we use the cards during the rating. What I am saying is something are not on cards, like the principal bones, tendons and ligaments of the legs, TPR, Shoe removal. Check the standards.
                        Does that clear that question up for you?
                        In the PC info there is a conditioning RECORD, not a SCHEDULE. You need a schedule for 8 weeks.
                        Thank you! I understand now. I'm still a little confused about the whole conditioning thing, but I'm starting to understand it better. What you just said cleared it up a whole lot for me...schedule not record...got it.
                        T3DE Pact

Comment

Also, have you looked at the Upper Level section of the ponyclub.org website? Lot's of good info there.
                          www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by shea'smom View Post
                            Also, have you looked at the Upper Level section of the ponyclub.org website? Lot's of good info there.
                            Yes, I have. It's a good source. I just printed out a whole bunch of stuff from Middle CA's website as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!
                            T3DE Pact

Comment

Originally posted by DefyingGravityEventing View Post
                              Hey. Good for you for taking the HB. And no worries, i literally studied for my HA maybe a week or two ahead of time and passed most of it (i just had to retake two sections, that i passed later!).
                              Sure am glad we have the retest now...

Comment

• Original Poster

***6/7***

I passed except for one part- imitating shoe removal. And that was borderline. I don't know if this is standard, but they said they would tell us if we had failed a section at the end of it. Well, initially I passed, but she later changed it. I completely understand her reasons although it was still a bit of a bummer. It's an easy retake!

Okay, it was VERY stressful and nervewracking for me at times studying for this, but I also liked this rating the best in some ways. National ratings and especially the HB seem much different. Plus, I got along great with the other candidates, I loved the PIP and 2nd Examiner, and the organizer did a really good job. It was a fun group!

I got 4 Exceeds Standards: different types of shoes (An ES and a DNMS in the same section! ), diseases and parasites, nutrition, and teeth.

Thanks for the help!
                                T3DE Pact

Comment

Originally posted by KBG Eventer View Post
                                  It doesn't matter what your horse is currently doing. You can make a conditioning schedule for when your horse is in full work, or you can make one legging your horse up again. However it sounds as though you are on the right track, seeking help from your vet and trainer to build your horse up. Just make sure you can EXPLAIN EVERYTHING to the examiners!

I know one girl at my HB rating made a conditioning scchedule, and also grabbed a calendar and recorded on the calendar what she actually did that day, if she tweaked the schedule because the horse was sore, or she only had a limited amount of time at the barn, etc. On her fitness/ gallop days she would jump off mid ride, check pulse and respiration, and continue on. I don't remember if she did recovery rate, but it's an idea.

ETA: Didn't read the last posts and realized you did your rating! Good job!
                                  Last edited by eSpresso; Aug. 8, 2010, 09:50 AM. Reason: didn't realize you already did your rating!

Comment

KGB, good for you!
                                    www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

Im in Middle California region, and its true, we do have our **** together Anyhow, I am doing my HB this weekend PANICKING!!!! Im solid on tack, diseases, parasites, and shoeing. I am restudying and cramming in conformation, teeth, and especially ANATOMY!!!!! Any helpful hints, etc?????

Comment

NO panicking! Just symplify the studying and make sure you have every section covered. If you have any specific questions, ask. I am doing the HA there, so maybe we will meet!
                                        www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X