• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

CCI2* @ Rebecca VS. CIC2* @ Stuart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCI2* @ Rebecca VS. CIC2* @ Stuart

Any recommendations?

Just did my first CIC2* at the end of May. Jumped clean on the XC with time and jumped double clean in SJ. Did an Advanced combined test with a double clean SJ round. Ready for a CCI or do another CIC first?

How do the courses compare to one another? Rebecca has a virtual course walk from last years event.

Any information regarding both would be much appreciated!

Stuart last year was very hilly and technical. That's all I can tell you--second hand info from my trainer.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

I'm one of those fairly rare people who's actually competed at both, though never at the CCI/CIC** level

Stuart is very hilly and technical. Terrain is a big issue and and makes the courses quite difficult. I know that also, traditionally, a lot of very experienced advanced pairs drop down to do the CIC** there, so the competition is also pretty fierce. That being said, they really do make winning worth your while, with insanely awesome prizes (at all levels!) and a really good "big show" atmosphere. It's definitely a fun show to go to, but if you're wondering whether you're ready for a CIC vs CCI and thinking the Stuart CIC might be a touch easier, I would advise otherwise. It's shorter than a CCI, but very difficult.

Rebecca Farm is big, wide open, and one of the most painfully gorgeous places I've been in my entire life -- well worth the drive! I walked the CCI** course last year and, if I remember correctly, it was pretty big and technical (the big spectator water was nothing to scoff at for sure) but definitely didn't register too high on the "people must be insane to want to do this" chart. The courses there are definitely full height and length and temperatures are usually pretty blistering on xc day, so fitness is important. The show jumping at RF is held in a big arena over gorgeous max-height fences and makes you feel like a big time jumper, where Stuart is held in a twisty grass bowl that's fun but definitely an added challenge.

I'm going to Stuart this year because that's what coast I'll be on, but at Novice and Training with my two - if you decide to come east, I'll cheer you on!
      http://greybrookeventing.blogspot.com/
      http://kerickso.tumblr.com

Comment

It seems to me you're qualified for either event (cci or cic). And with that in mind, I would say GO TO REBECCA!!!

The courses are fair and testing, but above all, it is an event run by wonderful people and is, without a doubt, the nicest event on the calender (and yes, I've been to lamplight, chat hills, and the khp).

Go west, young (wo)man, go west!!

Comment

I went to do the CIC** at Stuart in 2008 and the course made a few people scratch their heads. It can be extremely 90 degree turns and some stuff that makes you go... ummm... HUH? Not too fond of it. I ended up not even running xc because by the time it went, it was brutally hot, prelim horses were on fluids and the lower levels that went first had used up ALL the ice.

I do love the show though. It's well run, I'd go again in a heartbeat for prelim and lower if I could afford it.

I'd go run the CCI** if you feel you're ready. If you've already done one CIC** and are ready for a CCI, then really, an FEI horse trial is a bit of a waste of money.

Comment

I have done Rebecca and the great thing about it is that it feel more like a galloping course - because it has long stretches for you to do just that! There are definitely technical questions, but they include forward distances as well as short. There are skinnies but there are also questions that feel a little more "old school" - using banks, terrain, or just plain big oxers!

The owners/organizers are lovely, very personable and down-to-earth.

I am thinking of going this year on my vacation (as my green horse is SO not ready for this kind of event!) as a spectator.
            Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

Never been to Rebecca but Stuart is a jaw dropper from Prelim up through the 2 star IMHO. At least 2 years ago it was. Derek DiGrazia definitely used the hilly terrain to test the horse and rider. If you got through that 2 star course that year, you pretty much knew you had something going. I've walked 3 star courses that technically didn't scare me as much as the 2 star did that year. If you come to Stuart be prepared for a challenge! If you get through it, you should both be much better off for having done so. Stuart is also a very well run event. Has a definite 3 star feel while your there. It's a big deal to them up there and they take it very seriously.

Comment

I have done the 2-star course at Rebecca a couple of times and it is "older school." Max height fences and monster fly fences (a blast!), long gallops (100s of yards between some fences) to let you settle again, everything straight forward, long distances. If you pull, you don't make it. You need to be accurate at speed; skinnies that you need to take out of a gallop etc. Second water had 5 fences (3 in the first part, on to land - 2 in the second) - Rode like a roller-coaster. LOVED IT! LOVE the course. Made the times when we just galloped along.

It can get to above 100 degrees there though. No issue with altitude as it is only 3,000 feet.

Reed

Comment

My Vote Is For Rebecca Farms

I have never been to Stuart and hear that it is fantastic-but everyone should make the trip to Montana at least once. Beautiful courses, great hospitality-white water rafting in Glacier National Park and my all time favorite-Prize Money- in addition to spectacular prizes.

Rumor has it some of the East Coast BNRs will be making their way to Montana to try and take home some of the $30,000 in prize money in the CIC-W***. We'll see.

The other place to go if you have never been is Richland Park in Michigan. Also a great CCI** track designed by Ian Stark (i think).

Comment

Rebecca Farms is the nicest event site in America next to Rolex.
                    The course is beautifully maintained and built
                    Haven;t been to Stuart but Montana won't disappoint..it will be hot though!

Comment

Originally posted by advmom View Post
                      Rebecca Farms is the nicest event site in America next to Rolex.
                      The course is beautifully maintained and built
                      Haven;t been to Stuart but Montana won't disappoint..it will be hot though!
                      I am kinda biased b/c I only like 3hrs away from Rebecca Farms(which is beautiful!), but it really is the nicest next to Rolex. It has an amazing course, which is perfectly maintained. The facilities are awesome, and the owners/organizers are great people and you always see them strolling around the barns during the event talking to everyone. It is a very technical course (all the levels are), with max fences, but they are pretty inviting at the same time. They have a wonderful water complex as well. They have rubber/foam (the footing made up of old tennis shoes) in all of the arenas, which is wonderful.
                      I also havent been to Stuart, so I cant really say either way. I have a feeling that Rebecca will be much cooler this year because we have been getting snow since middle of last month, and since then it has been very wet, so the event should be perfect.
                      Eventingismylife
                      http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                      X