• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Aiken event horse auction. Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiken event horse auction. Thoughts?

Has any one else checked out the Aiken event horse auction websited? Any one thinking about going and/or taking a horse there?

Have a lovely young event prospect mare I'm having trouble moving. I'm thinking it would be nice to have an eventer audience who could really see her potential as an eventer, since a hunter or pleasure rider would never see those same things. This is not reallly for price reasons, but for "this is what this horse would truly do best" reasons. But wondering if its really worth the trip... It seems this is the inaugural year and those don't always get a good turn out. Now if this had been going on a few years.... I saw an inaugural sport horse auction once before and the turnout left a lot to be desired. But this is Aiken, its like one of the 3DE Meccas, right?

I'm not in the horse selling business, just happened to come by this horse (where have we heard this story before, right?.... they're like potato chips, etc...) And I really want her to go the best possible home where she can really live up to her potential.
    "A horse!!! A horse!!! my Kingdom for a horse!

I have a couple of horses I am thinking of taking. I would think since it seems like all the snowbirds are is in the Aiken area in February anyway, and by extension those clients of theirs who can AFFORD to go south for the winter, and maybe also therefore afford $125 to go look at horses for two days..... that turnout might be decent. (I would go to look if I could afford it, whether I was really in the market or not!! Sounds like fun to me!) But we'll see......

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

Comment

[QUOTE=ThirdCharm;2825232...and by extension those clients of theirs who can AFFORD to go south for the winter, and maybe also therefore afford $125 to go look at horses for two days..... [/QUOTE]

I think the $125 for registration might be a bargin as oppose to something for "rich" people! It buys "Admission for one Registered Buyer and one guest/spectator to both days of the sale, catered lunch each day, and entry to Wednesday evening cocktail party." That's 4 lunches and 2 for drinkswithpartyfood event (which would probably suit me for dinner.) Just as a weekend entertainment expenses for two it's a great deal at 33 bucks per a day. It also includes access to the radiographs which are required of all sale horses. You'd save the $125 in a heartbeat on radiographs in PPE if you decided to pursue anything.

Personally, I'm seriously considering going as a buyer.

You might want to do a search as this topic was discussed about a month ago with some question and answers to the organizers...

Comment

True, it REALLY is a bargain. Esp. if you get a decent number of horses to show up.... first of all you can see a representation of (hopefully) pretty nice horses, and see what they're priced at, and even if you're not looking at that very moment, it should be pretty educational. Esp. if you go with someone experienced who can help you compare and evaluate!

Jennifer
        Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Seriously, if you have ever been at an event in Aiken in the VERY early spring (we like to call it Winter down here in Georgia), you know that the place is crawling with buyers. I had a friend who got four different queries as to whether her horse was for sale at Jumping Branch a couple years ago, and this was just while warming up for xc!

Granted, she is a pro and the young horse was super nice, but I think it bodes really well for this sale. I won't be there but look forward to reports.

Comment

We're thinking of taking two of ours - one of which ALL of the eventers seem to love... although she's been competing in the h/j ring. I'll be looking for an upper level professional to ride for me if we end up coming up - I'm taking names, so if you have recommendations of trainers that will be there, please email me info@platinumequestrian.com .
            Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Comment

I will take a preliminary horse if I still have him by then. Love him, but I gotta pay my rent!

Sounds like a cool thing -- even if nobody buys your horse that day, it will get a lot of exposure.
              www.yellowroseeventing.com

Comment

It is bound to be a huge success. Craig Thompson is an honest professional who is working very hard at promoting this. It is patterned after the very popular Polo Pony sale held in Aiken earlier in the year which has been going strong for years.. It is a really good idea for Event Horses and there is no where else in the U.S. where you have so many event facilities within 5 miles of one another (4, last count), and so many event professionals and competitors in one place at one time. Anyone who is looking to buy, or sell and event horse in the Southeast will be there. And Aikenites and winter Aikenites love a good party - true to Southern tradition, so it will most likely attract hunter/jumper and dressage buyers as well.

Comment

I have a horse that might go if he is not sold by then, i really hope he is sold though!

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for all the thoughts

I too will probably be looking for a rider to put up on this girl bc I get to be a wreck riding in frount of people esp professionals.
                    Please email me if you know of of some one or are looking to do it

orfeyeva@yahoo.com

Comment

• Original Poster

one more question

I'm not sure I can get any kind of real fence work into her. I have schooled her in hand over baby cross country stuff. So unless I can get a more experienced semi pro to ride her in the sale I won't really be able to have her jumped except free jumping.... Would it still be worth it? Based on her temperment and the way she was in hand on XC this horse will not have any problems on XC but the problem is convincing buyers of that with just a some pix of her jumping a ditch and bank on a longe and a pix of her free jumping...

Like I've said I'm not in the business of selling horses (this is the first one I've sold ever) so I really have little clue as to what I'm doing and its causing me a good deal of anxiety. I really want to do right by this horse. And I know in my heart she will be a good event horse and would enjoy the mental challenge of eventing.

How do you figure what to price a horse at? I don't want to over or under price
                      Last edited by flyingtails; Nov. 26, 2007, 05:49 PM.

Comment

If I were buying a horse at this event horse sale, I would probably not consider a horse that has no XC experience. It would have to be SUPERBLY bred with proven eventing lines. Can you find someone to take her out & school her this winter before the sale? It would only add to her value.

edited to add: Getting someone experienced to ride her in the sale is a great idea, but I would NOT have them push her past her training at the sale. The LAST thing you want is to put the fences up and have her crash & burn in front of potential buyers. If the pro can school her ahead of time that would be a good thing.

AND for those of you looking for someone to ride, I will only be taking one horse of my own and would be happy to take on others. I by no means consider myself a BNT, but I have competed sucessfully through the ** level. Plus I'd love to help out a fellow COTHer.
                        Last edited by yellow rose; Nov. 26, 2007, 01:46 PM. Reason: added stuff
                        www.yellowroseeventing.com

Comment

For those note sure if their horse is suitable, or if there will be someone there to assist in showing, price range, etc. contact Craig, the organizer,
                          http://www.CraigThompsonEventing.com
                          he will be glad to answer these questions and do whatever he to help your horse be shown to its best potential.

Comment

Hey, seems printed, paper invites were sent out. I got one in the mail today! I think I'll go, if tire-kickers are allowed.
                            Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

As long as you're willing to pay the $125 fee to get in... I guess tire kickers are allowed. Of course as a potential seller, I hope there will be buyers there also.

Comment

I want to go. I've been looking for a horse for four months and after logging thousands of miles on my truck and spending some cash on hotels and failed vettings it would be nice to see a bunch of horses all in one place that already have decent xrays. Plus I won't have to deal with people who don't return calls or emails (and they wonder why their horse doesn't sell... )

Hopefully the organizers will post a catalog online beforehand so I can do a little research on any interesting ones. I keep seeing "experienced" eventers at a certain level only to find out that the horse has done one or two events at that level - and sometimes the horse retired or had tons of refusals/rails! I guess they didn't say the horse had good experience.

It's surprising to me how hard the search has been considering everyone's saying people want to move horses for the winter with the price of hay, etc. Maybe that's for the greenies though...

Comment

Originally posted by Platinum Equestrian View Post
                                  As long as you're willing to pay the $125 fee to get in... I guess tire kickers are allowed. Of course as a potential seller, I hope there will be buyers there also.
                                  Well, $125 covers 2 people and 2 days of food, drink, schmoozing with friends and ogling a lot of fine horse flesh. What could be better? Seems a pretty fine deal to me! AND, you never know, something just might catch my eye! I will have an empty slot on my trailer when I head home in April, seems a shame to drive all this way with only one horse, no?
                                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Originally posted by North Dakota View Post
                                    I have a horse that might go if he is not sold by then, i really hope he is sold though!

me too! If not...he will hopefully have had a couple of successful events (with perhaps some primary color ribbons) right before the sale....one can hope!
                                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

me too! If not...he will hopefully have had a couple of successful events (with perhaps some primary color ribbons) right before the sale....one can hope!
                                      exactly! i'm hoping mine sells before the sale, he will probably move up to prelim soon, and with me going horse shopping next week, him being sold sooner then later would be nice(we will be up to 4) :|

Comment

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
                                        Well, $125 covers 2 people and 2 days of food, drink, schmoozing with friends and ogling a lot of fine horse flesh. What could be better? Seems a pretty fine deal to me! AND, you never know, something just might catch my eye! I will have an empty slot on my trailer when I head home in April, seems a shame to drive all this way with only one horse, no?
                                        You think just like I do...

Comment

Working...
                                        X